Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

What I want to know is how they got rid of messi who clearly didn’t wanna leave because they couldn’t afford him yet there signing players left right and centre. There clearly trying to force de Jong out to bring in some money and no one will offer what we are for him… they can’t register players without others being sold can they?
Basically Laporta overstated the debt issues and wanted to get rid of him, then blamed it on league rules. This guy says one thing and does another.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I find the dislike of Tielemans here and on Twitter bizarre tbh. So much better than any of our cms. He's played an absolutely insane amount of football for his age and has clearly wanted out of Leicester for the last 2 years. When considering the miniscule costs associated, this should be such a no brainer honestly.
Tielemans is a good footballer, and he is better at football than our current crop, but he’s not a particularly good fit for our midfield. As a central midfielder, what he excels at in contrast to his peers is not exactly what we need in our squad. His limitations (pretty poor at covering ground; weak positionally) — are issues we already have in our central midfield. I think he makes more sense for Arsenal than us.

Matt851

Tielemans is a good footballer, and he is better at football than our current crop, but he’s not a particularly good fit for our midfield. As a central midfielder, what he excels at in contrast to his peers is not exactly what we need in our squad. His limitations (pretty poor at covering ground; weak positionally) — are issues we already have in our central midfield. I think he makes more sense for Arsenal than us.
Is he really that poor at covering ground? Wouldn't exactly say that's a big issue woth mcfred either.

It looks like we are going to play a double pivot and he has experience of playing in the more advanced of those roles. He would add technical ability and an ability to score goals, even if not frequently.

He isn't top class but we can't get anyone in that bracket at the moment so need to get players who can get us back in to the cl to enable us to attract those players. We desperately need new players for the pivot to enable that

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Basically Laporta overstated the debt issues and wanted to get rid of him, then blamed it on league rules. This guy says one thing and does another.
Not exactly. Messi had a contract that put his wage over 100m per year. It's not legal to offer an extension that his inferior to 50% of the previous contract and Barcelona couldn't afford a 50m contract anyway. Also the moment Messi didn't extend before becoming a free agent, there was no way for him to sign for Barcelona and be registered.

Dannn411

We like to act like we're in such a strong position in midfield, that any player would be begging to join us and we can pick and choose. Newsflash. We have the worst midfield by a distance in the top 6. We'll take what we can get. Tielemans is better than every single Manchester United midfielder. Of course he'd be an improvement. Its not even close. Same age as Mctominay but several universes better. If he's available at a good price, we need to jump at it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It looks like we are going to play a double pivot and he has experience of playing in the more advanced of those roles. He would add technical ability and an ability to score goals, even if not frequently.
But that’s really not what we need — especially when we have Eriksen who can play that role and did that at Brentford. We need a central midfielder who excels with the ball in the middle third. An actual central midfielder, you know? Gets on the ball, keeps it ticking. The stuff our main target does. If we can’t get him, we should at least get someone like him.

On the ground covering point - he’s a bit of a chubster. I love this clip - it’s a Paulie P special:

JPRouve

Scout
But that’s really not what we need — especially when we have Eriksen who can play that role and did that at Brentford. We need a central midfielder who excels with the ball in the middle third. An actual central midfielder, you know? Gets on the ball, keeps it ticking. The stuff our main target does. If we can’t get him, we should at least get someone like him.

On the ground covering point - he’s a bit of a chubster. I love this clip - it’s a Paulie P special:
I have seen him do that so often for Monaco, he seemingly hasn't changed.

SungSam7

He’s an upgrade on McTominay. Just get him and sell Scott next year. Means we don’t have to get another midfielder next year.
Why sell when he can be a rotational player? Remember that Obi Mikel was at Chelsea for longer than anyone expected as a backup

Gandalf

We like to act like we're in such a strong position in midfield, that any player would be begging to join us and we can pick and choose. Newsflash. We have the worst midfield by a distance in the top 6. We'll take what we can get. Tielemans is better than every single Manchester United midfielder. Of course he'd be an improvement. Its not even close. Same age as Mctominay but several universes better. If he's available at a good price, we need to jump at it.
Well that is crap for a start as he is not even close to Bruno and now we also have Eriksen who is a better player and frankly I would rather have Fred than Tielemans but sure you can argue that last point of you like. One thing that is undeniable for all of the people claiming he is underrated is that it has been widely know all summer that he can be had for 25M due to his contract situation and yet Leicester have yet to receive a single bid for him. The only credible links have been to Arsenal and those seem to have been mostly pushed from his camp as Arsenal have cheerfully paid up for a bunch of more expensive options and were last seen chasing our new CB with their wallets out but no offer made for poor Youri. The question becomes, is he underrated because a host of armchair experts say so on message boards or are they overrating him based on the fact that nobody seems to want to buy him even at a discount. I am going to guess it is the latter and hope we give this chunky spoofer a hard swerve.

JPRouve

Scout
Why is he called a chubster or chunky? Some of you are ridiculous.:lol:

mu4c_20le

This is him last year. Looks like he'd been eating away his sorrows over not being allowed to leave.

GreatDane

I feel as if 'Newsflash' is such a 90s thing to say.
Anyway, I disagree. We need top players, not a slight improvement on what we got. And we have Eriksen now, he can play the deep playmaker if needed better than Tielemans.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Not good enough for UTD. Also too chubby.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think he’s a good player, who has the potential to really go up a level under the right guidance and in the right system. I also agree with the posts that he’s not really the right style of player for United at this moment in time though.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
As much as I don’t rate McFred highly. No way is this guy the answer.
He plays for Leicester and the expectations or scrutiny are not even at the same level. All he has to do in a game is make one beautiful pass and we herald him for a whole month. Does anyone not remember Rogers does not start him in big games when everyone is fit(let’s stop the malarkey of him wanting out affecting his performances). He exposes their midfield in those games.
Im guessing people only watch him against United, when every halfwit seem to dominate our midfield of only two players.
He has been around for a very long time and no big club is made the move for him, not even the Italian clubs. He looks pretty on the ball but nothing else.

CM

I'd steer well clear. There's a reason why no other big clubs have gone in for him at that price. Not to mention that he isn't even the type of midfielder we need.

Hopefully De Jong gets done and renders this whole exercise pointless.

JPRouve

Scout
truly. Decent player who can do a great job under a great manager
Not what I meant, as far as I know he is a bang average player that is incredibly inconsistent.

Hammondo

Donnie Van de Beek #2. Buying a 'midfielder' cos you need a 'midfielder' while ignoring the fact you're buying the wrong type of midfielder.

De Jong is a deep lying playmaker. Tielemans is a box to box midfielder. If we're not getting De Jong we should be buying another deep lying playmaker, not a box to box midfielder.

How many times is the club going to do this? :rolleyes:
Well said.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
fatter than shaw, shorter than martinez, slower than maguire

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

That’s shocking. Is that what peak physical fitness looks like?!!

C'est Moi Cantona

Whether it's with us or not, I'm not going to be able to watch him next season without thinking of the word 'Plodder', it seems to be the go to word to describe him.

OrcaFat

He is a good player. Technically much better than McFred and would have improved our midfield a lot. But if we are going to buy someone, we should aim a bit higher.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

:lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I mean ideally we need 2 CM's anyway. Even if we sign FdJ who's he playing with McTominay? Fred? we have zero depth in midfield.

FdJ
Tielemans
McDaddy
Fred

Do we have the funds? probably not but for around 30m you wont get much better quality than Tielemans in CM.
Have you forgotten Eriksen?

golden_blunder

Staff
We might not have the best midfield collection around but we won’t solve the problem by adding more unsuitable midfielders, which I think Tielemens falls into. He’s got the same issues, when his head drops he totally disappears from matches. We don’t need another with the same mental blocks as Pogba (hot or cold). We need a 7/10 player who’s going to do the business consistently. We buy Tielemens we will be buying to replace him in a couple of years again

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
When did Ten Hag say he wants this
He didn’t and I just assumed he wants it from his tactics.

He sees De Jong as a roaming playmaker and not a deep lying playmaker. It allows him to be up and down the pitch and play at his own tempo and pretty much do his
Own thing, which makes him not exactly a sole CDM like a deep lying playmaker can be.

During his time as Ajax manager, Erik ten Hag spoke at length about maximising the impact of in-demand midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who could be about to follow his fellow Dutchman to Manchester United this summer.
Ten Hag is running the show at Old Trafford these days and his top priority is to strike a deal to sign De Jong from Barcelona, with the two clubs close to finalising an agreement at around the €80m mark.
De Jong has endured a tricky few years at Barcelona, with many questioning his best role in the team, but that's something that Ten Hag seems to be aware of.

"We have really been looking to find ways to use [De Jong's] skills in the best manner," Ten Hag told Dutch Soccer Sitein 2019. "Where can he play best, for the team and to showcase his talent. Everyone was screaming: Frenkie is the biggest talent, etc etc. Well yes. But, where? In midfield? Ok, but which role?
"His quality is that he makes the forwards perform better. He is a wanderer, an adventurer, he’s always on the move, like a shark. With the ball, often, but also without the ball. So if you put him on 6 [defensive midfield], he’s away too often. But you need to give him freedom, otherwise you can’t the best out of him.
"It wasn’t an easy puzzle, so I decided to play with two number 6s and only one attacking mid. And in this way, we can also dominate the half space, and force opponents to choose."

So basically he will utelise a partner with De Jong. I don’t think Fred and Mctominay are defensively good enough to be allowed to let De Jong roam in freedom. On the other side I believe Martinez was bought due to his ability to be versatile and play as a CDM to let De Jong roam as well as a left footed CB. I see Martinez as our stop gap CDM until he adapts to the CB position of the league and will probably go for one more CDM next season - aka the reason I feel we should go for that player now and come back for De Jong if the transfer is complex. Yet frenkie should be prioritized over anyone else as long as that chance is available.

lsd

The Oracle
He didn’t and I just assumed he wants it from his tactics.

He sees De Jong as a roaming playmaker and not a deep lying playmaker. It allows him to be up and down the pitch and play at his own tempo and pretty much do his
Own thing, which makes him not exactly a sole CDM like a deep lying playmaker can be.

During his time as Ajax manager, Erik ten Hag spoke at length about maximising the impact of in-demand midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who could be about to follow his fellow Dutchman to Manchester United this summer.
Ten Hag is running the show at Old Trafford these days and his top priority is to strike a deal to sign De Jong from Barcelona, with the two clubs close to finalising an agreement at around the €80m mark.
De Jong has endured a tricky few years at Barcelona, with many questioning his best role in the team, but that's something that Ten Hag seems to be aware of.

"We have really been looking to find ways to use [De Jong's] skills in the best manner," Ten Hag told Dutch Soccer Sitein 2019. "Where can he play best, for the team and to showcase his talent. Everyone was screaming: Frenkie is the biggest talent, etc etc. Well yes. But, where? In midfield? Ok, but which role?
"His quality is that he makes the forwards perform better. He is a wanderer, an adventurer, he’s always on the move, like a shark. With the ball, often, but also without the ball. So if you put him on 6 [defensive midfield], he’s away too often. But you need to give him freedom, otherwise you can’t the best out of him.
"It wasn’t an easy puzzle, so I decided to play with two number 6s and only one attacking mid. And in this way, we can also dominate the half space, and force opponents to choose."

So basically he will utelise a partner with De Jong. I don’t think Fred and Mctominay are defensively good enough to be allowed to let De Jong roam in freedom. On the other side I believe Martinez was bought due to his ability to be versatile and play as a CDM to let De Jong roam as well as a left footed CB. I see Martinez as our stop gap CDM until he adapts to the CB position of the league and will probably go for one more CDM next season - aka the reason I feel we should go for that player now and come back for De Jong if the transfer is complex. Yet frenkie should be prioritized over anyone else as long as that chance is available.

Thats all well and good but if we dont get him which looks likely then we have to look elsewhere or its McFred for the season again.

You buy players to improve your squad and there is no way the only improvement on McFred is De Jong

flappyjay

Thats all well and good but if we dont get him which looks likely then we have to look elsewhere or its McFred for the season again.

You buy players to improve your squad and there is no way the only improvement on McFred is De Jong
Not only that we can't go into as season with those 2 as the only ones who are used to playing that deep in midfield. Eriksen, vdb, Bruno are can play as 10's or 8 but asking them to play in a double pivot lont term is just asking for trouble

Redcy

He did for Brentford, I think people will get a surprise
He did for inter too, in fact for inter Eriksen was pretty amazing as deeper CM. Conte didn't fancy him initially but Eriksen worked his way back in with his performances from deep. I think ideally he wants de Jong and Eriksen in there, playing like de Jong/Schone used to at Ajax

golden_blunder

Staff
He did for inter too, in fact for inter Eriksen was pretty amazing as deeper CM. Conte didn't fancy him initially but Eriksen worked his way back in with his performances from deep. I think ideally he wants de Jong and Eriksen in there, playing like de Jong/Schone used to at Ajax
I think that’s his plan too. That’s why he’s all in on FDJ

Status
Not open for further replies.