Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

EtH

He's no Gerrard thats for sure. Hes not only half his size, he also has half his ability.
Ridiculous statement considering he’s better than Slippy G ever was as an actual CM. Will never match Gerrard’s showboating or armband tugging though.

Tielemans is a top talent who is on his way to becoming a top player. He is a technically astute DLP who can dictate play and open teams up with his touch and range of passing which is as rare as angel dust in today’s game. And his contract situation should keep the price around £40-50m next summer which will be brilliant business for whichever club is lucky enough to secure his services.

GueRed

good player.

It's nice seeing him fullfill his potential.

Wasnt he one of those 'wonderkids' on Championship Manager a good few back?

RooneyLegend

Ridiculous statement considering he’s better than Slippy G ever was as an actual CM. Will never match Gerrard’s showboating or armband tugging though.

Tielemans is a top talent who is on his way to becoming a top player. He is a technically astute DLP who can dictate play and open teams up with his touch and range of passing which is as rare as angel dust in today’s game. And his contract situation should keep the price around £40-50m next summer which will be brilliant business for whichever club is lucky enough to secure his services.
No he's not. Hes not better than Gerrard at anything, not as a CM not as anything. Not even comparable. Hes never a DLP, more of an old fashion 8 who does a little bit of everything. Technically he's nothing special, that kid at Dortmund and the likes of Gravenberch are far bigger talents.

mav_9me

No he's not. Hes not better than Gerrard at anything, not as a CM not as anything. Not even comparable. Hes never a DLP, more of an old fashion 8 who does a little bit of everything. Technically he's nothing special, that kid at Dortmund and the likes of Gravenberch are far bigger talents.
Most definitely Gerrard was not good enough as a CM for top team. Tielemans is a way better CM than him. Now as a player it's obviously a fact that Gerrard was way better than Tielemans has been so far. But in isolation as a CM I will always take Tielemans.

RooneyLegend

Most definitely Gerrard was not good enough as a CM for top team. Tielemans is a way better CM than him. Now as a player it's obviously a fact that Gerrard was way better than Tielemans has been so far. But in isolation as a CM I will always take Tielemans.
You probably dont remember him in midfield much if you think this guy is anywhere close.

Abraxas

What on earth are you talking about?

Gerrard was an absolutely superb player. CM, further forward, even on the wing when he got shoved out there he was bloody good. He was just a good all round player and he played most of his career in midfield and drove average sides to success from that position so how you can come out with him not being good there is quite frankly baffling.

Him and Tielemans are not in the same stratosphere whether they play CM or left back, it really doesn't matter.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Gerrard was an absolutely superb player. CM, further forward, even on the wing when he got shoved out there he was bloody good. He was just a good all round player and he played most of his career in midfield and drove average sides to success from that position so how you can come out with him not being good there is quite frankly baffling.

Him and Tielemans are not in the same stratosphere whether they play CM or left back, it really doesn't matter.
It's just some random thing I think United fans hate to see in Gerrard.

I always thought he was a quality player when I put my neutral glasses on but felt I could never talk about it without getting bullied on here.

Abraxas

It's just some random thing I think United fans hate to see in Gerrard.

I always thought he was a quality player when I put my neutral glasses on but felt I could never talk about it without getting bullied on here.
It's a lot easier to admit these days! It was infuriating how he propelled them to a level that the rest of their squad suggested they had no business being at just through his cult of personality around the club and ability to make a difference in games. There aren't many midfielders like that where you can't really say there is a clear weakness at all. Maybe not the most disciplined positionally but I don't think Liverpool particularly wanted him to be completely structured, maybe England did.

I think everyone that played against him has said how good he was, even people like Keane that have no reason to pump him up, but you've got to be fair.

mav_9me

My point is Benitez took him out of CM. Of course it's to Gerrards great credit and speaks volumes abt the player he is cuz he still was massively influential in AM and RM.

Abraxas

My point is Benitez took him out of CM. Of course it's to Gerrards great credit and speaks volumes abt the player he is cuz he still was massively influential in AM and RM.
So what? If you've got the likes of Mascherano and Alonso to hold the fort and you know Gerrard can do everything but is especially good as an attacking force why not use that to its best advantage? That's just sensible management and maybe partly Benitez's inherent caution and tactical framework.

It's not that significant, you hint at this yourself when you use the words "still" massively influential because the fact is he was good in CM for large periods of his career. It's analogous to saying Rooney was not a good second striker because we played him in more advanced positions for a period. It's just part and parcel of football and different ideas managers have.

Anyway I'm hesitant to derail the topic too much further.

Tarrou

So what? If you've got the likes of Mascherano and Alonso to hold the fort and you know Gerrard can do everything but is especially good as an attacking force why not use that to its best advantage? That's just sensible management and maybe partly Benitez's inherent caution and tactical framework.

It's not that significant, you hint at this yourself when you use the words "still" massively influential because the fact is he was good in CM for large periods of his career. It's analogous to saying Rooney was not a good second striker because we played him in more advanced positions for a period. It's just part and parcel of football and different ideas managers have.

Anyway I'm hesitant to derail the topic too much further.
he also got moved to the right for one of Didi Hamann or Sissoko (with the other being Alonso)

he was a very good CM, but not a great one for me

his best seasons were the ones he played off Torres, which elevated him to world class status in a lot of peoples eyes

Jibbs

Midfield Martial. Great technical player, bucket loafs of talent, smooth as silk, but weak mentality and does not seem to try hard enough... just like Martial.

Jibbs

You probably dont remember him in midfield much if you think this guy is anywhere close.
This. It is one thing being biased against Gerrard bring a United supporter and quite another comparing him to a nobody like Tielemans.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Gerrard at CM was similar to Pogba at CM (not necessarily in their strengths and weaknesses, but in the end result). Both are individually brilliant players capable of absolutely dominating matches, but both are quite inconsistent in that position. For every great match they will also have a poor match where they actually make it more difficult for their team to truly get on top.

It was obvious for years that Gerrard should be pushed into a more attacking role and it wasn't a surprise that his (and his teams) best ever seasons happened when he finally was. I used to laugh at Liverpool for 'wasting' a large part of the career of somebody who probably should have been one of the best players in the world. Unfortunately we've now done the exact same thing with Pogba.

I'd take a less talented but more consistent and solid hard-working playmaker over either Gerrard or Pogba any day if the idea is to play in a deeper midfield role. Note that I'm not saying Gerrard wasn't hard-working (he was). Whether Tielemans would be the right fit I have no idea; I don't watch Leicester play anywhere near enough to make that call. But I do feel you and a few others in here are over-rating Gerrard as a CM.

Amarsdd

I still don't get the hype around Tielemans. For me, he just looks like a tidy player who produces a couple of worldie goals and assists every season. Nothing more than that. And yeah, as people are discussing, absolutely no way close to the level of Gerrard.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:

I know we hate the bastard, but Tielemans, a better central midfielder than Steven Gerrard? fecking hell

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It has nothing to to do with 'hating Gerrard". At no point in his career did he excel as a center midfield Not for his club nor his country. He was an excellent player. Just an awful center midfielder. A role he as wasted in for years till Rafa pushed him to his best possible role
Well he absolutely wasn’t an ‘awful’ central midfielder. And Youri Tielemans hasn’t and probably won’t ever be a better central midfielder than him. You’re off your rocker if you think otherwise.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Well he absolutely wasn’t an ‘awful’ central midfielder. And Youri Tielemans hasn’t and probably won’t ever be a better central midfielder than him. You’re off your rocker if you think otherwise.
Yeah whatever. You go on worshiping Gerard as a center midfielder. Just don't expect me to ever join you

Silas

I still don't get the hype around Tielemans. For me, he just looks like a tidy player who produces a couple of worldie goals and assists every season. Nothing more than that. And yeah, as people are discussing, absolutely no way close to the level of Gerrard.
Same. Looked really promising when he was younger and is genuinely a 'good' player now, but 'good' isn't the level of talent we should be aiming for and I'm not sure how many more levels he has in him. As for the Gerrard comparisons...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Been a bit quiet this season but turned up big time today.

He's got 18 months left on his Leicester deal so with them getting in Soumare I think it's obvious they don't expect him to sign a new deal anytime soon.

You guys could do worse than get him as a Pogba replacement. Sign a DM and you have a better side for next season that can seriously challenge for the league.

Josep Dowling

He's got 18 months left on his Leicester deal so with them getting in Soumare I think it's obvious they don't expect him to sign a new deal anytime soon.

You guys could do worse than get him as a Pogba replacement. Sign a DM and you have a better side for next season that can seriously challenge for the league.
When he played for Anderlecht we played them in the Europa and he tore our midfield apart. I was shocked when Leicester signed him from Monaco that we weren’t interested. Fast forward a few years and he’s exactly the type of player we need in midfield.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I've always preferred the idea of Bellingham over Tielemans

I also think you need to consider whether Tielemans and Bruno can play in the same side just as we wonder whether Pogba and Bruno can play in the same side. Tielemans does often play with Maddison ahead of him though so that might not be an issue

EtH

Yeah pointed out his contract situation a while back and most seemed wholly uninterested. I’d love him here. His passing range is just about as good as it gets as a Pogba replacement. My only reservation would be it possibly putting us off Bellingham when the time comes, but that is a long way off I think.

Irwin99

Wasn't there noise that he might have been off to Liverpool this summer? :nervous: He's looked a very good player whenever I've seen him.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Wasn't there noise that he might have been off to Liverpool this summer? :nervous: He's looked a very good player whenever I've seen him.
Nothing credible there’s is a Belgian journalist who’s been trying to sell him since he signed for us

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Been saying this. He is one of the best midfielders in epl. With one year remaining, we can easily get him for 35-40m which would be a steal .

jeepers

Didn’t he celebrate his goal quite passionate? Badge thumping and all. I reckon he’ll renew with Leicester, unless a club comes with an offer that agrees with Leicester. Maybe Newcastle with their new money?

I was sorely disappointed when we didn’t even try putting in a bid after his season loan with Leicester.

I haven’t watched Bellingham at all so I shan’t comment there.

Potentially would he be able to work with Tchouameni? I’m really liking the look at that kid.

kerryman

When he played for Anderlecht we played them in the Europa and he tore our midfield apart. I was shocked when Leicester signed him from Monaco that we weren’t interested. Fast forward a few years and he’s exactly the type of player we need in midfield.
This....100%. Can't believe we weren't interested after that Anderlecht game.

Abraxas

I'm not convinced he's what we need even if he would improve us. He's a high risk player with his passing and the numbers confirm this, and it wouldn't be good to neuter him to ask him to play a steadier role in the buildup. Maybe if Pogba left he's a natural replacement as a maverick type of player that produces in the final third (but also works harder) but I don't see that he's the main thing we're missing right now.

What we need is our version of the lad that played next to him today but with higher current ability.

lenny_1248

I don't think he's what this club needs. He's incosistent, can't quite dictate the tempo of the game either on a consistent basis. Not good enough defensively.
United need Rice and someone like Jorginho/Verratti/Carrick/Kross in terms of play-style and who is also disciplined and a hardworking player (not saying that those 4 are not).
We already have Bruno with his brilliance in the final third and a killer pass. Now we need more stability, intelligence.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s a very good player but for the price he’d cost esp for us he’d not really come in and improve the options just add another high quality one. Bellingham should be the one on every clubs radar in the PL. However if he doesn’t sign a new deal he could easily go for a reasonable price.

Do hope he keeps improving he’s already excellent but I still feel there’s a really complete midfielder in there. He’s been the biggest talent out of Belgian football for a while.

Ekeke

He'd be a great replacement for Pogba, but money wise we probably need to find the next Tielemans rather than spend on the real deal. Best player on the pitch against us

Ekeke

First time I saw him he was a youngster playing a DM role against Arsenal, being drafted in to hold and compete in the middle. Looked a good talent then too

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Great goal. He can make a good pass but he doesn't really set the tempo to the team.

Just really can't find a deep lying playmaker anymore.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If he's only got 1 year left on his deal we should definitely bid for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.