Youth Reports 05/06 & 06/07 & 07/08 seasons

oskarutd

M160RA said:
Does anyone know what happened to Daude Massude - that Mozambican kid who Queiroz spotted, and who is/was supposed to be coming to Old Trafford??
He was always supposed to come to us this summer and i believe nothing has changed regarding that.

M160RA

Cheers...I wasn't sure when he was supposed to arrive at OT.

oskarutd

8 new signings!

U18 Pre-season Friendlies Announced

The club has confirmed the pre-season fixtures for United’s Under-18s team.

The young Reds will entertain Oldham Athletic and Walsall at United’s Carrington training headquarters at the end of July before completing their preparations for the new season with the annual trip to Northern Ireland to play in the Milk Cup tournament.

Paul McGuinness’ side finished second in the Academy Premier League Group C last season.

The Reds have taken on eight Academy first years for the 2006/07 campaign: Antonio Bryan (striker), Ben Amos (goalkeeper), Conor McCormack (midfielder), Corrie Evans (midfielder), Daniel Drinkwater (midfielder), Daniel Galbraith (striker), James Derbyshire (midfielder) and Magnus Eikram, a striker from Norway who joins the Reds in August when he turns 16.

Under-18s Pre-Season Fixtures

22 July United v Oldham
26 July United v Walsall
30 July–5 Aug Milk Cup (N. Ireland)

Report by Ben Hibbs.

Source: manutd.com

oskarutd

Conor is Irish u-16 international player, from Bellurgan.
Corrie is Johnnys brother and u-16 international.
Gailbraith is an u-16 scottish interantional, brought from Heart.
Amos is an english u-17 international player.
The other have been with us for a while, along with Corrie and Amos.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Conor McCormack

An arcticle from an Irish paper - October 2004

Manchester United are said to be poised to offer highly rated 14-year-old prospect Conor McCormack the chance to join the Old Trafford club.

Conor from Millgrange, Greenore and his parents Aidan and Sinead are to be VIP guests of the club for the home match on Saturday against Middlesbrough for what will be Conor’s fifth visit to Old Trafford, and seemingly he has greatly impressed the coaching staff there along with the club scouts including local representative Walter Murphy.

Conor is two footed, very athletic and good in the air and has attracted interest from several other cross-channel clubs.

His playing style has been compared with former Untied great Bryan Robson with the strength and stamina to power his way up and down the field. He plays in mid-field or right back.

He has progressed from playing with local club Bellurgan United whom he still presently plays with at under-14 and 15 to captaining the United team that took part in the under-15 section of this year’s Foyle Cup in Derry where he starred, putting his name on a string of goals. He also figured with the Dundalk Schoolboys Squad that competed the previous month in June in the national inter-league competition for the Kennedy Cup, staged at Limerick University.

Conor has earned selection in Vinny Butler’s Irish under-15 squad and is tipped to earn his first cap after being previously called up for training on a number of occasions to the national youths set-up.

He is the middle child in his family, with his parents Aidan and Sinead also having two daughters, Sarah Jane (18) and Emily (10). Father Aidan is a double championship medal winner with Cooley Kickhams.

Conor attends Bush Post Primary, and is in his Junior Certificate examination year. He has attended the United training Academy for the past two years at Lisburn and visited Old Trafford four times since April.

In the event of being offered the chance to join United, Conor is not allowed to move there or to any other cross channel club until he is 16.

Newcastle are one of the other clubs who have pursued a strong interest in him, and want him to spend time with them later this month.

My notes:

He played on numerous occasions for Ireland Schoolboys during 2004/05 and played for Dundalk in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup. In 2005/06 he featured regularly in the Ireland U/17 team....

More info to follow....

Sauxees Moi Hui

TonyPark said:
An arcticle from an Irish paper - October 2004

Manchester United are said to be poised to offer highly rated 14-year-old prospect Conor McCormack the chance to join the Old Trafford club.

Conor from Millgrange, Greenore and his parents Aidan and Sinead are to be VIP guests of the club for the home match on Saturday against Middlesbrough for what will be Conor’s fifth visit to Old Trafford, and seemingly he has greatly impressed the coaching staff there along with the club scouts including local representative Walter Murphy.

Conor is two footed, very athletic and good in the air and has attracted interest from several other cross-channel clubs.

His playing style has been compared with former Untied great Bryan Robson with the strength and stamina to power his way up and down the field. He plays in mid-field or right back.

He has progressed from playing with local club Bellurgan United whom he still presently plays with at under-14 and 15 to captaining the United team that took part in the under-15 section of this year’s Foyle Cup in Derry where he starred, putting his name on a string of goals. He also figured with the Dundalk Schoolboys Squad that competed the previous month in June in the national inter-league competition for the Kennedy Cup, staged at Limerick University.

Conor has earned selection in Vinny Butler’s Irish under-15 squad and is tipped to earn his first cap after being previously called up for training on a number of occasions to the national youths set-up.

He is the middle child in his family, with his parents Aidan and Sinead also having two daughters, Sarah Jane (18) and Emily (10). Father Aidan is a double championship medal winner with Cooley Kickhams.

Conor attends Bush Post Primary, and is in his Junior Certificate examination year. He has attended the United training Academy for the past two years at Lisburn and visited Old Trafford four times since April.

In the event of being offered the chance to join United, Conor is not allowed to move there or to any other cross channel club until he is 16.

Newcastle are one of the other clubs who have pursued a strong interest in him, and want him to spend time with them later this month.

My notes:

He played on numerous occasions for Ireland Schoolboys during 2004/05 and played for Dundalk in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup. In 2005/06 he featured regularly in the Ireland U/17 team....

More info to follow....

Hey Tony, I have nothing to add to this discussion, but I do want to note that you are easily the best poster on this message board. Thanks for all your info!

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Timm made one goal (in his first match, this where the first goal ever at Viking stadium) at Viking, though he only played four matches (or, more accurate, 289 min) before he got injured. The team he played in suffered under a useless coach and he never had a chance to stand out.

M160RA

oskarutd said:
The Reds have taken on eight Academy first years for the 2006/07 campaign: Antonio Bryan (striker), Ben Amos (goalkeeper), Conor McCormack (midfielder), Corrie Evans (midfielder), Daniel Drinkwater (midfielder), Daniel Galbraith (striker), James Derbyshire (midfielder) and Magnus Eikram, a striker from Norway who joins the Reds in August when he turns 16.
Do you know how many players from last year's U-18's will remain there, and how many will be promoted to the reserves?
I assume the likes of Cathcart, Cleverley and Brandy should be ready for regular reserve team football.
Is there any room for more U-18s recruits?

oskarutd

M160RA said:
Do you know how many players from last year's U-18's will remain there, and how many will be promoted to the reserves?
I assume the likes of Cathcart, Cleverley and Brandy should be ready for regular reserve team football.
All the second years players from last year will move up to the reserves. Burn, Campbell, Lee, Shawcross, Evans, Gray, Mullen, S. Evans, Rose and Gibson got extended contracts and will be promoted. There is a question mark with Lea and Crockett. Cleverley hasn´t got a contract, so he is either not 17 next season or released. Nearly all this years intake are midfielders so I suppose Cathcart and Brandy will at least start in the u-18s. Zieler might be promoted to the reserves though. Cathcart seems ready though.

Mr. MUJAC

oskarutd said:
All the second years players from last year will move up to the reserves. Burn, Campbell, Lee, Shawcross, Evans, Gray, Mullen, S. Evans, Rose and Gibson got extended contracts and will be promoted. There is a question mark with Lea and Crockett. Cleverley hasn´t got a contract, so he is either not 17 next season or released. Nearly all this years intake are midfielders so I suppose Cathcart and Brandy will at least start in the u-18s. Zieler might be promoted to the reserves though. Cathcart seems ready though.
Not sure about Michael Lea as he struggled with injury all season and may get an extension....but I expect Lee Crockett to leave the club......

I was talking to United's GK coach and he mentioned that Crockett's confidence is shot.....as well as Zieler coming in and doing better than everyone expected.....Crockett also suffered from major injury last year and a virus that had a big impact....poor luck on the lad!!

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
Not sure about Michael Lea as he struggled with injury all season and may get an extension....but I expect Lee Crockett to leave the club......

I was talking to United's GK coach and he mentioned that Crockett's confidence is shot.....as well as Zieler coming in and doing better than everyone expected.....Crockett also suffered from major injury last year and a virus that had a big impact....poor luck on the lad!!
Do you know about Woods, a goalkeeper we just bought? Will he be an u-16 next season or has he been released? The same apllies to Massaude from Mosambique (15 years old in oktober at least), Butterfield, Lilley, Collins, Knott, Willams, Mellor, Bryant and Cleverley. Does anyone know? I guees Bellamy was released last summer.

oskarutd

oskarutd said:
Do you know about Woods, a goalkeeper we just bought? Will he be an u-16 next season or has he been released? The same apllies to Massaude from Mosambique, Burrerfield, Lilley, Collins, Knott, Willams, Mellor, Bryant and Cleverley. Does anyone know? I guees Bellamy was released last summer.
Well this answers the question about Bryant:
You lucky Devil!

ANDY CRYER meets the Swindon youngster set for big things at Premiership side Manchester United.

FOR most schoolboys choosing between Chelsea or Manchester United is a decision you could only dream of.

But for 15-year-old Mitchell Bryant the dilemma' became a reality and, being a staunch United fan, there was only ever going to be one winner.

The former Ridgeway School pupil saw his life turned upside down in May when, playing for Southampton's academy, he was approached by scouts from both Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge.

Both put offers on the table but after visiting the Theatre of Dreams' any lingering doubts he may have had quickly vanished as he became the latest to join United's world famous youth set up.

Signing schoolboy forms signalled a major upheaval in his life, moving away from his home and family life in Moredon, Swindon, but he insists he has no regrets in his pursuit of the dream.

"It was hard moving away from my family for the first time," he said. "But I don't think there is anyone who would have turned the chance down.

"I am living the dream at the moment and it is hard to believe. I signed forms with Alex Ferguson before their Premiership game with Portsmouth and it was an unbelievable feeling.

"I still go to school every day and we train in the evenings and play games at weekends. The lads here in digs are brilliant and I settled in almost straight away."

Mitchell's allegiance to the Red Devils, most of his family support them as well, may have had a bearing on his decision but he insists it was future prospects that ultimately saw him snub Champions Chelsea.

He said: "The tradition at United is one of youngsters coming through and getting their chance. From George Best, to Gary and Phil Neville and David Beckham, they all came from the youth set up.

"At Chelsea, John Terry is the only one I can think of who has come through their ranks. They are perhaps more likely to bring in foreign stars and ignore their young talent.

"I get tickets for every United home game, if I am not playing myself, and now and again we do train with some of the older players if we have not got school."

The youngest of three brothers, Mitchell's first football team was Highworth Juniors who his dad, Andy, helped run.

After two years his goal-scoring exploits saw him attract the interest of Swindon Town and at the age of eight he joined their Centre of Excellence. Four years later, he moved on to Southampton and it was there he was given his chance of the big time.

"I know I still have a long way to go," he said. "Realistically I have a one in a hundred chance of ever playing in the first team here.

"But as United are at the very top even if I had to look elsewhere I could still have a chance of playing for another Premiership or Championship club. If I had still been at Southampton and been released it would have been harder for me.

"I'm not saying I won't make it here though as you look at the players who have been through the youth teams and think why can't that be me?"

11:51am Thursday 26th January 2006

http://www.adver.co.uk/misc/print.php?artid=678365

Mr. MUJAC

oskarutd said:
Do you know about Woods, a goalkeeper we just bought? Will he be an u-16 next season or has he been released? The same apllies to Massaude from Mosambique (15 years old in oktober at least), Butterfield, Lilley, Collins, Knott, Willams, Mellor, Bryant and Cleverley. Does anyone know? I guees Bellamy was released last summer.
I saw Woods train with Academy a few times last year...originally from Cambridge United...I expect him and Amos to challenge for places this term..

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
TonyPark said:
I saw Woods train with Academy a few times last year...originally from Cambridge United...I expect him and Amos to challenge for places this term..
Off Topic...

Do you think David Jones can become Kenny Jackett class performer?

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
I saw this on thefa.com:
Woods joins squad

Wednesday, 16 November 2005.

Scotland v England
Sky Sports Victory Shield
Kilmarnock
25 November 2005

England U16 coach Kenny Swain has made a change to his squad to face Scotland at Kilmarnock later this month.

Huddersfield Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies has pulled out of the 18-man squad due to non-football commitments.

In his place comes uncapped 15-year-old Gary Woods, who recently signed for Manchester United from Cambridge United.

Swain's side started the tournament in some style, Jonathan Franks scoring twice in a 4-0 win over Wales 4-0 but that was followed by a 1-0 defeat at home to Northern Ireland a fortnight later.

As a result, England need to beat Scotland in order to give themselves a chance of successfully defending the trophy they won last season, though they will be reliant on the Wales-Northern Ireland match ending in a draw.

England U16s squad v. Scotland, Victory Shield

http://www.thefa.com/England/U16s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/11/EngU16_WoodsSmithies.htm

This makes him an u-16 next season.

oskarutd

From Socom3 in the Newbies:

Jacob Butterfield (1990) who was a essential member of our u16s last year,took part in Man Utd squad in MUPC 2004 and 2005 have signed a scholar contract with Barnsley (play in League One) for next season

Rumours said we are eyeing James Wood (an excellent stopper of Cardiff City u16 team and Scotland u16s)

greater wall

United youngsters sign pro forms - official site

Six United youngsters have signed professional forms at Old Trafford.

Academy student Michael Barnes, first year scholar Febian Brandy and Kieran Lee, Ryan Shawcross, Sean Evans and Jamie Mullan have been rewarded for last term's progress.

All six players featured sporadically for the all-conquering Reserves last term and should appear more heavily in the coming campaign.

Second year student Michael Lea has also had his scholarship extended by a further year, and will be a third year scholar next season.

Meanwhile, French striker David Bellion has completed his transfer to Nice.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just read somewhere that Ramon Calliste joined Liverpool, was just released by them and just signed for Scunthorpe.

oskarutd

From socom3 in Newbies

Aide Bellamy was released and just signed a scholar contract with Bradford City where he meets Sean Taylforth, a former United's u16 player

Tribec

Mark Howard has by all accounts gone over for a trial with Bronby. How many more of our juniors will Rene ask over I wonder? Will we perhaps use Bronby as a feeder club perhaps???

Mr. MUJAC

M160RA said:
United's U/18 squad will be chosen from the following players.....Zieler, Amos, Woods, Cathcart, Chester, Derbyshire, Cleverley, Eckersley, Hewson, Rose, Drinkwater, Galbraith, Eikrem, McCormack, Brandy, Corry Evans, Fagan, Bryan....Mullan, Gray and Sean Evans will probably move up to the reserves and so will Rose and Zieler depending on who we loan out....I can't see Cleverley or Brandy playing that many reserve games although Cathcart may make a few...

By the way......we drew 1-1 at Walsall last night...the game was scheduled for a 7.45 kick-off but due to an accident on the M6, United's coach was delayed so kick-off was put back to 8.30.

United didn't play all that well...team line up was Heaton, Gray, Rose, McShane, Shawcross, R. Jones, Marsh, N'Galula, Campbell, Martin, S. Evans...subs Mullan (11), Crockett (1), Barnes (7), Burns (8), Hewson (10)..

McShane scored in the second half to level the scores. I thought that Michael Barnes scored with a cross/shot but apparently McShane got a touch with his head and claimed the goal!

Good to see Flo back after his hip injury....he looked very rusty though...

United play Oldham at Carrington on Saturday so I will pick up more info then...

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
United's U/18 squad will be chosen from the following players.....Zieler, Amos, Woods, Cathcart, Chester, Derbyshire, Cleverley, Eckersley, Hewson, Rose, Drinkwater, Galbraith, Eikrem, McCormack, Brandy, Corry Evans, Fagan, Bryan....Mullan, Gray and Sean Evans will probably move up to the reserves and so will Rose and Zieler depending on who we loan out....I can't see Cleverley or Brandy playing that many reserve games although Cathcart may make a few...

By the way......we drew 1-1 at Walsall last night...the game was scheduled for a 7.45 kick-off but due to an accident on the M6, United's coach was delayed so kick-off was put back to 8.30.

United didn't play all that well...team line up was Heaton, Gray, Rose, McShane, Shawcross, R. Jones, Marsh, N'Galula, Campbell, Martin, S. Evans...subs Mullan (11), Crockett (1), Barnes (7), Burns (8), Hewson (10)..

McShane scored in the second half to level the scores. I thought that Michael Barnes scored with a cross/shot but apparently McShane got a touch with his head and claimed the goal!

Good to see Flo back after his hip injury....he looked very rusty though...

United play Oldham at Carrington on Saturday so I will pick up more info then...
Rose is too old for the u-18s. Clecerley and Woods are u-16s. Good for them to be used in the u-18s. They can use 1-2 overage players in each game. Of the strikers in reserves we have Rossi, Campbell, Burns and perhaps Solskjær. Campbell will be loaned out. Rossi perhaps too, at least he and Solskjær will not be used too much in the reserves. Marsh and S. Evans can play in attack, as well as Gray. Gray and Marsh are more used as right backs or wingers. S. Evans will make lth left winger position his own if Matin gets loaned out. So that leaves us with Burns. So I suppose Brandy will get some games in the reserves.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Gerard Pique scored twice for Spain U-19 today, but got injured.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
anyone know anything about the injury? two goals..are they playing him in midfield?

red thru&thru

Elliott said:
anyone know anything about the injury? two goals..are they playing him in midfield?
no in defence, scored from corners.

he played really well and he's added a bit of agression in to his game

oskarutd

from uefa.com

Q&A
Gérard Piqué has been a leading light for the Spanish Under-19 side (©UEFA)
Piqué the pick for Spain
Friday, 21 July 2006

by Andrew Haslam
from Poznan

e-mailPrint

Spain have made a highly entertaining start to the UEFA European Under-19 Championship and, if history is any guide, a number of the players who are impressing in Poland will be senior internationals in the none too distant future. One such rising star is the imposing Manchester United FC defender Gérard Piqué, who scored twice in Thursday's 4-0 win against Scotland. uefa.com spoke to the centre-back about the finals, learning how to cope with pressure, and his hopes for the future.

uefa.com: Are you enjoying this tournament?

Piqué: It’s certainly interesting, in the first match [a 5-3 win against Turkey] the team was a little nervous and it was our first game together since the Elite round at the end of May. But we started well and, although we were lacking a little sharpness and there are things we can improve, as we play more games we will get getter and better.

uefa.com: What does playing for your country mean to you?

Piqué: I’m very proud. To represent Spain is a feeling you cannot explain. Every match you have to give everything and if you play well you can be proud of yourself. If you don’t play well, you have to do better next time because it’s important for you and important for your country.

uefa.com: What do you learn from these tournaments?

Piqué: The most important thing is how to play under pressure. You are under pressure to win every match, to reach the semi-finals, to reach the final, to win the tournament. In top-level football, you have to learn how to cope with such pressure and to play for the result.

uefa.com: You joined Manchester United from FC Barcelona shortly after the U17 finals in 2004. What prompted that move?

Piqué: Maybe there I saw a better future for me with more opportunities. When I was talking to the boss [Sir Alex Ferguson] before I signed, you can sometimes see in someone’s eyes that they want you and he wanted me for United so that was the main reason why I decided to go there.

uefa.com: Was it difficult to move abroad at such a young age?

Piqué: When you arrive in England everything is very different and you’ve left your friends and family behind. But you start to grow up, you make friends and finally you feel at home so I’m happy that I made the move. You miss your family, that’s maybe the hardest thing but even that’s not that bad. I went to Manchester to play football, that’s my job and if that's going well, everything else is as well.

uefa.com: Was it hard to adapt football-wise?

Piqué: Football around the world is more of less the same, training is quite similar as well although the coaches maybe think differently because of the different cultures. The level at United is really high, players like [Wayne] Rooney mean you have to be 100 per cent every time. But here we have a strong team with top players and it’s the same idea really; you have to be concentrated 100 per cent if you want to give your best.

uefa.com: You moved to England a few months after your U17 team-mate Cesc Fabregas left Barcelona for Arsenal FC. Did you take advice from him?

In England, they don’t care about your age; if you’re ready for the first team they do it, no problem. Fabregas did that and now he’s one of Spain’s best players
Gérard Piqué

Piqué: I speak to Cesc all the time, we're very good friends. He explained his situation to me when he went to Arsenal and the next year I followed him to England, and we both decided to move for similar reasons. In England, they don’t care about your age; if you’re ready for the first team they do it, no problem. Fabregas did that and now he’s one of Spain’s best players, he went to the [FIFA] World Cup and showed that he belongs there. I’m trying to do the same.

uefa.com: Spain have a fantastic record in youth football but struggle to repeat that success at senior level. Why is that?

Piqué: Because of our history, there's a lot of pressure on us and maybe we're expected to fail. People need to disconnect from that and let the team play as they can and maybe one day we'll succeed. At the World Cup we played well in the group stage but it was as if the press and public expected us to lose to France and you can’t think like that.

uefa.com: Spain coach Luis Aragonés obviously has belief in young players so that’s good news for the U19 team.

Piqué: Aragonés has shown he is prepared to put his faith in young players, he has confidence in them and that's good for us because we can see that the senior team is not as far away as we might think. Fernando Torres played in the U19s in 2002 and he quickly jumped into the first team. In football everything happens very quickly and you never know what the future will hold so just keep working hard and in the end, everyone who works hard gets rewarded.

Tribec

A friend of mine is a Bronby fan, and he was saying that although Howard had impressed in the trial games as such, when it came to the training with the rest of the team he was found wanting. It nearly scuppered the deal or so I'm told. The Bronby general manager isn't happy with Rene either, he doesn't like the idea of too many loan signings, as it means that Bronby won't be able to sell a player on if they are playing well.

Still good luck to Howard with his move, I'm sure he'll be successful over at Bronby.

oskarutd

Elliott said:
turns out this dude in my class coaches the *14s of a small oslo club called grüner fk. think they're currently in the forth or fifth highest league in norway. anyways - one of their 14 year olds had a trial with united over the summer, and is probably going back in the not too distant future. he is originally from pakistan i think, and his one year older brother is already on united's books. this just goes to show how thorough united are in the search for top class talent, something we should never take for granted. the younger brother is called shaun idres. dunno the first name of the dude already at united, but maybe the excellent and soon to be promoted tony park has some info on the guy??
Does anyone know more about this? Or was he just teasing you?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
oskarutd said:
Does anyone know more about this? Or was he just teasing you?
no, i wasn't teasing you, reverend. i'll ask the guy in my class (the coach) for some updated info once i get back to school in a few weeks.

oskarutd

Elliott said:
no, i wasn't teasing you, reverend. i'll ask the guy in my class (the coach) for some updated info once i get back to school in a few weeks.
I meant if that guy was teasing you.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
oskarutd said:
I meant if that guy was teasing you.
oh, i see. nah, he is a stand up guy. i'll ask him about it once i get back to school

oskarutd

Darron Gibson a late withdrawal from Ireland's U21 squad in Greece

Darron Gibson a late withdrawal from Ireland's U21 squad in Greece
Date: Sunday, 13 August 2006
Section: International

Gary Dicker of UCD was drafted into Ireland's U21 squad that travelled to Greece on Sunday for Wednesday's match in the UEFA Championship.

Manager Don Givens had to move smartly to replace Darron Gibson of Marchester United, who was forced to withdraw from the squad because of injury.

Gibson, who plays centre-back for United's second team, was last season an influential player in central midfield with Ireland's U19 squad uner manager Sean McCaffrey.

Born in Derry, he was this season elevated to Manchester United's first team squad by manager Alex Ferguson and he is tipped to become a big star.

He was anxious to challenge for inclusion in Givens' U21 Championship team and his withdrawal was a disappointment. But he is certain to be given his chance when he recovers fitness.

Meantime this withdrawal offers a great opportunity to UCD promising Gary Dicker. A busy and imaginative player, Dicker is a superb linkman and he has contributed invaluable goals to UCD's cause this season. He joined the rest of the squad on Sunday at Heathrow for their flight to Greece.

The match on Wednesday between Greece and Ireland will kick-off at 8 pm local time, 6 pm Irish time.

oskarutd

From Socom3 in the newbies

Mark Dudley,who had a trial with us last month have just signed a scholar contract with Championship side Derby County

oskarutd

Moran hasn´t signed with a club yet

WITH TOWN
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
Be the first reader to comment on this story

12:15 - 30 August 2006
Grimsby Town Reserves included two trialists for their home clash against Hartlepool yesterday - but slipped to a disappointing 4-0 defeat.

Former Manchester United Reserve striker Kyle Moran (19) and ex-Boston United midfielder Danny Thomas started the second-string clash as Stuart Watkiss took charge for the first time at Blundell Park. Moran left Old Trafford in May after three years with the Red Devils. He moved to Manchester from League of Ireland side Shelbourne after impressing United chief Sir Alex Ferguson as a 15-year-old.

He progressed to the Reserves at Old Trafford during his three-year spell but was released at the end of last season.

Moran spent time with Boston in pre-season and turned out for the Pilgrims in their friendly match against Ipswich at York Street.

Thomas, meanwhile, left Boston in May after two years.

The former Leicester trainee made 94 appearances for Steve Evans' side, scoring eight times.

And he joined Moran in a bid to impress Town boss Graham Rodger against Pools.

New signing Danny Boshell also figured while young defenders Ben Higgins and Miles Chamberlain were back from suspension and injury respectively.

Town went into half-time 1-0 down but came out firing at the start of the second period.

The visitors doubled their advantage, however, before Nick Hegarty went close with a header which hit the woodwork.

Hartlepool added a third and then sealed a comprehensive win when former Town man Jon Daly netted goal number four late on.