Yuri Zhirkov/Ştefan Radu/Philipp Lahm - The Evra Backup Thread

Ekeke

The thing is, given a run of games and training with us and I'm sure he'd improve. As of right now he's a good tackler, a decent crosser and he can beat a man through some amount of dribbling ability and good balance and strength. He's also a very hard worker and has some pace about him.

He lacks the quality to play in left midfielder or wing for us, but he'd be the best backup and competition for Evra at the club, by far. And if he improved, I'm sure he'd get games in midfield too. A very solid backup.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That's what I was saying, but it all depends on how willing he is to be a bench player for us. He comes across as a willing back-up but after the Euro's I'm sure there are a few good teams that can offer him first team football.

Bearded but no genius

Does Yuri have a brother who plays RB?

I want two Zhirkov!

Today Adrian Healey, king of the horrible pun on ESPN, said "Zhirkov shoots it hard, but straight into the wall!".

One wonders whether he realises, given the fact that he seems to practice some of these like "Bliss for the Swiss!" and "It's Double Dutch!", or today a little American reference - "Three strikes for Spain, and Russia are out!".

He must die.

Mickey Space Alien is going nowhere as Bordeaux don't want to give him more than a half a bottle of red and a hard crust a week as a wage, and we've got 'The Cat!' at LB.

And the idea that Lahm is for selling from the German champions for the chance to be a backup for Patrice (or even for the chance to compete with Knees Up and Two Weeks - as well as OH) is just silly.

With respect.

Ekeke

That's what I was saying, but it all depends on how willing he is to be a bench player for us. He comes across as a willing back-up but after the Euro's I'm sure there are a few good teams that can offer him first team football.
I find it odd that they said he'd come out and said he was signing for us. Perhaps it was something lost in translation. Afterall, this week has seen Russia's side and players much hyped and thrust them into the limelight more than they've been before in their careers. And Arshavin and Zherkov were 2 of Russia's star players this time round and I'm sure the press would have been asking both of them where they'd like to go after the tournament.

Obviously, Arshavin came out and said he thinks the premiership is the best, but he likes Barcelona most and feels spain suits his game best. It could be that Zhirkov simply said he'd like to come to us. Obviously, part of the reason for that would be our champions league win.

As for whether he'd be happy being a backup. I wonder how Evra felt when he first signed for the club. It was only half a season after Heinze had been voted our player of the season, wasnt it? But I'm sure he came in confident that eventually he'd solidify himself as a first choice. Zhirkov could have similar aspirations and if he does, then to be fair to him, anything can happen. Evra was amazing this season and for the last section of last season. One of our best players in that time. But injuries or a drop of form could see Zhirkov earn the right to start matches for us. In the same way that Evra earnt his place by vastly improving.

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
???????????????????????

His goal against Hamburger F.C...
Zhirkov's childhood hero was Coronation St actor Bill Waddington and his favourite record is his 'Don't forget the old folks at Christmas'. Zhirkov said in the press conference that with Waddington having died in 2000 he would be visiting the Percy Sugden actor's Oldham grave every week, usually in the company of Bill Tarmey, who plays Jack Duckworth in the soap and who Zhirkov became close friends with in 2001 through shared interests in shortwave radio and pigeon-fancying.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
pigeon-fancying?:lol:

On 26th June, in a pre-match Press Conference, Yuri Zhirkov announced that he had agreed terms over a move to English champions Manchester United. It is believed that a fee between Manchester United and PFC CSKA Moscow has yet to be agreed.
He will be good competition for Hargreaves' in the best hair-do of the season.

ronnie dazzler

to be honest don't know a lot about Radu or Zhirkov, but Lahm would be too expensive as a form of backup. if you're going to pay that much money, he'd want to be improving your team. Particularly, as I'm content enough with Silvestre, O'Shea, Simpson, Evans there as cover

More realistic we spend 7m on a relative unknown such as Evra or Vidic when they joined. Though I think SAF would make an exception for someone like Micah Richards

Cold_Boy

Zhirkov is the most over rated player of this tournament so far.He is avarage at best and anyone who suggested he is as good as Evra is stupid.He makes good forward runs but always seems to hit the ball into another player rather than crossing.He tries crossing but they hardly ever get past the first defender.Defending wise he is decent but nothing more.

lao

I'd rather have Nani and Evra on the left wing, and so I'd only take him if he was a willing substitute. That all depends on how many teams are interested in him and ow many teams can guarantee him first team football. I think he'd be a good signing for Spurs.
A mid-table team that already has Gilberto, Bale, Dos Santos, Malbranque, Lee, Chimbonda and Taraabt on the left side of defence and midfield. Yeah, good move for him alright.

Brwned

A mid-table team that already has Gilberto, Bale, Dos Santos, Malbranque, Lee, Chimbonda and Taraabt on the left side of defence and midfield. Yeah, good move for him alright.
He would play for them on left midfield without a doubt, as he is better than his competitors in that position.

Brwned

Zhirkov is the most over rated player of this tournament so far.He is avarage at best and anyone who suggested he is as good as Evra is stupid.He makes good forward runs but always seems to hit the ball into another player rather than crossing.He tries crossing but they hardly ever get past the first defender.Defending wise he is decent but nothing more.
Crossing it straight at the first defender is what Evra does regularly too.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Yuri Zhirkov would be perfect back up for Paddy as Lahm wouldn't want to be sitting on the bench week in week out and as for Stefan Radu goes - Never heard of him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Yuri Zhirkov looks a good player. Russia didn't play in that last game but he never stops running trying to get in behind the fullbacks. We are quite strong on the left with Evra, Giggs, Silvestre especially so who knows

There is a possibility we were expecting Mikael to leave. Lahm was never going to happen. Even if we did get him, we'd have a problem fitting him in. I like how Zhirkov attacks though. He's got a bit of the headless chicken about him but he's determined.

That said, he's technically better then most people would believe because of his kinda loose style of play. It's also as if he surprises people, with his ability as he does have skill

Brwned

Better than Dos Santos, Malbranque and Bale? I'm not sure why Ramos would've bought Dos Santos then.
Dos Santos plays on the right, Malbranque isn't a winger and Bale is a left back.

Brwned

Lennon/Bentley plays on the right, Malbranque has been used as a winger all season, and Bale has been used as both left back and left winger.
Lennon is likely to be sold or just put on the bench because of Dos Santos, Bentley hasn't been bought yet, Bale will be their first choice left back and Malbranque isn't a winger, Spurs fans know this too and would agree with me.

lao

Lennon is likely to be sold or just put on the bench because of Dos Santos, Bentley hasn't been bought yet, Bale will be their first choice left back and Malbranque isn't a winger, Spurs fans know this too and would agree with me.
If Lennon leaves, Bentley will be in that same swap deal and Bale is more than an adequate option on the left wing, especially if Lee doesn't leave. Then they have Lee, Gilberto, Assou-Ekotto and a makeshift Chimbonda in the left-back position. And where do you think Malbranque has been playing all season? Ahead of Keane, next to Berbatov? Yeah, you and the Spurs fans share alot of knowledge. Tottenham need a quality DM, not a quality player fighting 5-6 other players for the same position.

Zhirkov is an older and little bit faster Bale. They won't splash the cash on such an unnecessary signing. No matter how much you and your spurs friends wants it.

Brwned

If Lennon leaves, Bentley will be in that same swap deal and Bale is more than an adequate option on the left wing, especially if Lee doesn't leave.
Bale can play on the wing but he's better at left back. Bentley has yet to leave. And Dos Santos will start ahead of Lennon.

Then they have Lee, Gilberto, Assou-Ekotto and a makeshift Chimbonda in the left-back position. And where do you think Malbranque has been playing all season? Ahead of Keane, next to Berbatov? Yeah, you and the Spurs fans share alot of knowledge.
They do, yes. Bale is still their best left back and will play there. Malbranque has been playing out of position and shouldn't be a regular in their team any more.

Tottenham need a quality DM, not a quality player fighting 5-6 other players for the same position.
That's quite obvious.

Zhirkov is an older and little bit faster Bale. They won't splash the cash on such an unnecessary signing. No matter how much you and your spurs friends wants it.
There is much more likelihood of him going to them than us. I don't think he will go to Spurs, but there is more of a chance of him going to them than us.

lao

That's quite obvious.
That's all I needed to hear. So you now agree in that Zhirkov is surplus to requirements at Spurs? They've already bought Dos Santos, Modric, Gomes and possibly Bentley. They need a quality DM to complete the team, and they probably won't have enough money for Zhirkov as well, who isn't the least needed for their squad.

Would be interesting to see what GlastonSpur and his ITK's have to say about this.

Brwned

That's all I needed to hear. So you now agree in that Zhirkov is surplus to requirements at Spurs? They've already bought Dos Santos, Modric, Gomes and possibly Bentley. They need a quality DM to complete the team, and they probably won't have enough money for Zhirkov as well, who isn't the least needed for their squad.

Would be interesting to see what GlastonSpur and his ITK's have to say about this.
Yes they don't need him, but that wasn't what I said in the first place. I was just saying that Zhirkov might not want to come here to be a back up if other good teams could offer him first team football. Spurs was an example.

They do need a DM but weirdly enough there has been very little speculation about potential signings in that area and more speculation about Bentley.

AttackingFlair

Yuri Zhirkov looks a good player. Russia didn't play in that last game but he never stops running trying to get in behind the fullbacks. We are quite strong on the left with Evra, Giggs, Silvestre especially so who knows

There is a possibility we were expecting Mikael to leave. Lahm was never going to happen. Even if we did get him, we'd have a problem fitting him in. I like how Zhirkov attacks though. He's got a bit of the headless chicken about him but he's determined.

That said, he's technically better then most people would believe because of his kinda loose style of play. It's also as if he surprises people, with his ability as he does have skill
Agreed.