Yves Bissouma / Signs for Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranchero

Absolutely superb box to boxer who is both creative and a tough tackler. The closest to Kante that I've seen. Superb player. Just what we desperately need. Better than Fred and Matic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely superb box to boxer who is both creative and a tough tackler. The closest to Kante that I've seen. Superb player. Just what we desperately need. Better than Fred and Matic.
We'd still have to sign a passer though. And we aren't getting rid of McFred or Matic.

Ranchero

This is just too obvious a signing for us. We're determined to prove to the world that Fred is the next Kante.

We need to do something with Donny, it is criminal that the kid can't get a game.
But when he gets his chance he is totally anonymous.

Ranchero

We'd still have to sign a passer though. And we aren't getting rid of McFred or Matic.
The guy can create, tackle, is box to box...he has the lot. Definitely on a par with Kante. Pure class. We have Pogba for now and Fernandes and with him there too that would be pretty tasty.
He imposes himself on games and we need that.

Ranchero

Camavinga is a very similar type of player. Is younger, would be cheaper and even better

Hanky panky

Camavinga is a very similar type of player. Is younger, would be cheaper and even better
Age would not be problem in this case. Actually 24yo Bissouma would be in perfect age. We are not rebuilding anymore. It's time to challenge this or at least next season.

SATA

The guy can create, tackle, is box to box...he has the lot. Definitely on a par with Kante. Pure class. We have Pogba for now and Fernandes and with him there too that would be pretty tasty.
He’s a good player but you are making him sound like a prime Roy Keane. He’s not and probably why he’s still playing at Brighton

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Any links or just stats and vibes?
No links and I would be very surprised if we sold him now. He was rumoured to be going to Arsenal earlier in the year and apparently Liverpool were interested, but nothing has materialised and its now too late in the window.

we need him
I love Biss as a player and would be gutted to see him leave, but as is often the way after a couple of stand out games he is being over rated a bit by people here. I would question if he would really improve your midfield or just add good depth, and you need someone who will really improve it. Maybe over the next 2 seasons he will become a world class midfielder, I hope so, but he's not there yet.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He’s a good player but you are making him sound like a prime Roy Keane. He’s not and probably why he’s still playing at Brighton
That’s an overreaction on some scale. There are a number of reasons he’s still there and the most valid one is that most of the top flight bar Utd have their CDM. Plus the lad is a Champions League player all over, he ain’t going to sign for a mid table club.
The valuation would be nearer £50m if White went for similar. Precious few clubs can afford that these days

SATA

That’s an overreaction on some scale. There are a number of reasons he’s still there and the most valid one is that most of the top flight bar Utd have their CDM. Plus the lad is a Champions League player all over, he ain’t going to sign for a mid table club.
The valuation would be nearer £50m if White went for similar. Precious few clubs can afford that these days
Read the post by the Brighton fan above you. He sums it well. He’s not going to come in and immediately improve our midfield by ten fold, and there’s no guarantee he will with that kind of money

AgentSmith

Any links or just stats and vibes?
Stats and vibes. Not a single credible link unfortunately.

The Athletic had a breakdown of Bissouma and talked about him on a personal level, which had an interesting part:

The midfielder might need to rely on a team-mate for transport to and from training for a while next season, wherever he is playing.

He is involved in an ongoing court case which could cost him his driving licence, having been accused of speeding on Brighton seafront on five different occasions last year. He is also alleged to have failed to give information identifying the driver each time.

Bissouma has a carefree nature, with a reputation inside the club of being “a very likeable boy”. As one source put it: “Everyone loves him and, because of that, everyone forgives him for some of the little things that drive you mad.”’

Just seems like a profile of player Solskjær and co. might avoid with the emphasis we place on attitude and, preferably, leadership. Would explain the constant links with Rice who fits the bill more as a midfield general despite his obvious limitations on the ball. Maybe Wan-Bissaka’s recent motoring escapades mean I’m overthinking it though.

Article is linked here if people have access; it’s a very well-written and detailed breakdown of Bissouma as a player.

I still think he’d be a great signing at a reasonable price (only 2 years left on his deal with no one else seemingly coming in for him). Would be an upgrade on McTominay and Fred and allow us to partner Bissouma with, as others have articulated better than I could, a ball-playing CM who can help dictate the game.

While we wait for that player to present themselves I’d still like to see VDB been given a proper run of games in that position, particularly with the added defensive stability of Varane coming into the side. Something like this would make for an interesting starting XI given the depth we’d have in the attacking positions off the bench:

De Gea
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Bissouma - VDB
Sancho - Bruno - Pogba
Cavani​

Inigo Montoya

Read the post by the Brighton fan above you. He sums it well. He’s not going to come in and immediately improve our midfield by ten fold, and there’s no guarantee he will with that kind of money
I’ve read the Brighton fan’s assessment and at least it was balanced. Unlike yours which follows the same tired route that a player is being compared to a football great to have any worth

Inigo Montoya

The Athletic had a breakdown of Bissouma and talked about him on a personal level, which had an interesting part:

The midfielder might need to rely on a team-mate for transport to and from training for a while next season, wherever he is playing.

He is involved in an ongoing court case which could cost him his driving licence, having been accused of speeding on Brighton seafront on five different occasions last year. He is also alleged to have failed to give information identifying the driver each time.

Bissouma has a carefree nature, with a reputation inside the club of being “a very likeable boy”. As one source put it: “Everyone loves him and, because of that, everyone forgives him for some of the little things that drive you mad.”’

Just seems like a profile of player Solskjær and co. might avoid with the emphasis we place on attitude and, preferably, leadership. Would explain the constant links with Rice who fits the bill more as a midfield general despite his obvious limitations on the ball. Maybe Wan-Bissaka’s recent motoring escapades mean I’m overthinking it though.

Article is linked here if people have access; it’s a very well-written and detailed breakdown of Bissouma as a player.

I still think he’d be a great signing at a reasonable price (only 2 years left on his deal with no one else seemingly coming in for him). Would be an upgrade on McTominay and Fred and allow us to partner Bissouma with, as others have articulated better than I could, a ball-playing CM who can help dictate the game.

While we wait for that player to present themselves I’d still like to see VDB been given a proper run of games in that position, particularly with the added defensive stability of Varane coming into the side. Something like this would make for an interesting starting XI given the depth we’d have in the attacking positions off the bench:

De Gea
Bissouma - VDB
Sancho - Bruno - Pogba
Cavani​
An upgrade on McFred but you want DVB to be given a chance in a position he never really played? Brilliant! How about Martial at CB then? I mean he should be given a chance shouldn’t he ?

AgentSmith

An upgrade on McFred but you want DVB to be given a chance in a position he never really played? Brilliant! How about Martial at CB then? I mean he should be given a chance shouldn’t he ?
Transfermarkt has VDB playing CM nearly as many times as he played CAM in his final season for Ajax. How many times has Martial played at CB?

An actual criticism of my idea would be that VDB’s shown next to nothing in a United shirt and I’m basing it on a theoretical idea of his quality rather than one that exists in reality - which is a fair assessment. I just think the potential of VDB is better than the reality of Matic at this point.

Your post is just useless hyperbole which is ironic given your criticisms further up the page.

TsuWave

I love Biss as a player and would be gutted to see him leave, but as is often the way after a couple of stand out games he is being over rated a bit by people here. I would question if he would really improve your midfield or just add good depth, and you need someone who will really improve it. Maybe over the next 2 seasons he will become a world class midfielder, I hope so, but he's not there yet.
don't need to be world class to improve it. We play McFred/Matic

lilcurt

But when he gets his chance he is totally anonymous.
When had he had a chance? For me a chance is a run of consecutive games in the first team. Playing with other first team players, not patchwork appearances in the B-team for meaningless matches.

He can't be any worse than Matic, Fred or Mctominay, I refuse to believe that after seeing the player he was before we signed him.

croadyman

When had he had a chance? For me a chance is a run of consecutive games in the first team. Playing with other first team players, not patchwork appearances in the B-team for meaningless matches.

He can't be any worse than Matic, Fred or Mctominay, I refuse to believe that after seeing the player he was before we signed him.
This guy is an improvement on what we have end of story and well done for bringing up how little Donny has played with the first choice XI rather than just our fringe/deadwood in the cup competitions

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sounds a very good player. We'll probably miss out then.

Hughie77

De Gea
Bissouma - VDB
Sancho - Bruno - Pogba
Cavani​
Agree in the main, with that, I like this Bissouma he was great last season for Brighton, I cant see UTD going for him, Why? I dont know maybe because we got Fred , ?Mctom, Matic.. but I'd still get him, let's see. Love to see that kind of formation, as well with Varane should be ok

Brightonian

People are down playing midfielders who show tendency to get involved in he transition and are quick to label them as just box to box midfielders when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Verratti can be deployed in a deeper role but he isn't a DM. Kimmich plays for Bayern who have the right idea when it comes to midfield and deployed both Goretzka and Thiago in a midfield two in a UCL final. Bayern were also at the time very adept at playing a very high defensive line, with their midfielders positioned well into the opposition half which helped them press and counter press to a high level. Kimmich would be a fantastic signing because he's a all round midfielder and helps his team both in a defensive and offensive sense and he's capable of multitasking at a very high level.

Roy Keane was a box to box midfielder who got involved in the transition going forward but could also sit and stay disciplined when required. Patrick Viera was also of a similar profile and both players provided defensive stability aswell as a offensive threat which is what is required now IMO. What we shouldn't do is sign a player for the role who is solely a sitting midfielder because if the plan is to press high with counter pressing capabilities then you can't just sit.

I don't believe Solskjaer wants to play Pogba in a two against top quality teams. And if we signed a Kante like midfielder to play in midfield next to him, he (Pogba) would have to do his share of defensive work against the quality teams and also provide a counter pressing/wide pressing threat from mid field. And Pogba himself has admitted his defensive game isn't upto scratch.
I can't tell from all that if you actually understood my point, which was: you have to play a sitting midfielder next to Pogba, unless you can get someone of the very highest quality like Verratti or Kimmich. But obviously we can't. So we have to buy a sitting midfielder.

Gandalf

Yup. Go for a 'name' on the decline...Saul Niguez
A bad season is not the same as a decline. Saul is 26 and there is plenty of reason to think that his best is still ahead of him. So far as Bissouma is concerned, lots of posters saying he would be a steal and someone is going to get a bargain and yet I have not seen any big club credibly linked with him, they all have scouting departments so are we supposed to believe the Caf has seen something that none of them have?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can't tell from all that if you actually understood my point, which was: you have to play a sitting midfielder next to Pogba, unless you can get someone of the very highest quality like Verratti or Kimmich. But obviously we can't. So we have to buy a sitting midfielder.
Pogba isn't being played in midfield against anyone decent. And I've read people argue that if we had such and such a DM then that would allow Pogba to play in a deeper role. But that doesn't make sense to me, because say for example we sign Declan Rice and we move Pogba back into a deeper role, that wouldn't mean Pogba wouldn't have to defend one of the two defensive zones especially against the better teams. And I'm personally of the opinion that he needs to be used as the most attack minded midfielder in a 3 man midfield, which is not gonna happen now we have Bruno. So I think his current role as a Mezzala (half winger) suits him and us really well.

But don't get me wrong though, because I do believe we need a midfielder with a strong defensive game, but not to play next to Pogba but rather to play next to someone who has the technical elegance and can also provide a strong off the ball game. And who is that player? I'd say we should look to develop that player internally (Mejbri) or look to develop that player externally (Maxence Caqueret) because I can't see us signing one of the more obvious playmakers as things stand.

Swedish_Plumber

I find it strange he hasn’t been seriously linked with a move/clubs haven’t bid for him this summer. Wonder why that is cause he looks great every time I watch Brighton.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'd say we should look to develop that player internally (Mejbri) or look to develop that player externally (Maxence Caqueret) because I can't see us signing one of the more obvious playmakers as things stand.
I agree. But also because I’m not that convinced by the options. I remember a young Modric very well, and I dont see many players in that mould available. In fact, even at the other top clubs, there are few. That is also why I like Mejbri alot. Very rare talent.

Dont get me wrong, there is a few players like that, but very few of them are good enough and basically none is available. Who would be the best options? Tielesman, Neuhaus and Bennacer? Good players and good enough to improve us, but not players I expect will be regulars for a team winning the PL/CL!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree. But also because I’m not that convinced by the options. I remember a young Modric very well, and I dont see many players in that mould available. In fact, even at the other top clubs, there are few. That is also why I like Mejbri alot. Very rare talent.

Dont get me wrong, there is a few players like that, but very few of them are good enough and basically none is available. Who would be the best options? Tielesman, Neuhaus and Bennacer? Good players and good enough to improve us, but not players I expect will be regulars for a team winning the PL/CL!
Agreed.

bosskeano

It'll be some amazing business from Brighton if they can keep hold of this guy thru the transfer window

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It'll be some amazing business from Brighton if they can keep hold of this guy thru the transfer window
His contract runs out in 2023, so unless he renews, they'll have to sell him in either January or in the summer 2022 window where he will have one year remaining on his contract.

AneRu

Pogba isn't being played in midfield against anyone decent. And I've read people argue that if we had such and such a DM then that would allow Pogba to play in a deeper role. But that doesn't make sense to me, because say for example we sign Declan Rice and we move Pogba back into a deeper role, that wouldn't mean Pogba wouldn't have to defend one of the two defensive zones especially against the better teams. And I'm personally of the opinion that he needs to be used as the most attack minded midfielder in a 3 man midfield, which is not gonna happen now we have Bruno. So I think his current role as a Mezzala (half winger) suits him and us really well.

But don't get me wrong though, because I do believe we need a midfielder with a strong defensive game, but not to play next to Pogba but rather to play next to someone who has the technical elegance and can also provide a strong off the ball game. And who is that player? I'd say we should look to develop that player internally (Mejbri) or look to develop that player externally (Maxence Caqueret) because I can't see us signing one of the more obvious playmakers as things stand.
Agree with all this, I also think that if we have a powerhouse defensive midfielder who is at the top of his game you then have room to introduce a young CM like Garner or Mejbri.

bosskeano

They already brought someone in his place as they know Bissouma will leave them soon
they did but at the same time if he stays, those two in the center of pitch won't be easy to play thru and it gives them a solid foundation.

Leonzo1

Why does this thread keeps getting bumped? There is literally zero talk about us being in for him, you guys are setting yourself up for a heartbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.