Zidane sack watch - 19/20

Jackal981

So what does Zidane do as a manager? Obviously, he is very good; but I have no idea what his trademark 'thing' is. For other managers, you often hear about their tactics or key players or whatever. But I never read about Zidane's tactical approach and with Ronaldo gone, Madrid doesn't really have one superstar that people can claim carries the team. (Whether or not that was the case with Ronaldo previously; I'm just saying that narrative is definitely gone now.) So what does Zidane do to make his teams so successful?
Imo he is the closest manager to Fergie I have ever seen today. World class man management just like Fergie. Bashed by media and fans like Fergie because apparently they are not “tacticians” ala Klopp or Pep. He has this supernatural ability to squeeze every drop of ability from players (ala Fergie) and make the players play their life for him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So what does Zidane do as a manager? Obviously, he is very good; but I have no idea what his trademark 'thing' is. For other managers, you often hear about their tactics or key players or whatever. But I never read about Zidane's tactical approach and with Ronaldo gone, Madrid doesn't really have one superstar that people can claim carries the team. (Whether or not that was the case with Ronaldo previously; I'm just saying that narrative is definitely gone now.) So what does Zidane do to make his teams so successful?
Zidane is great exalting the individual qualities of his players rather than having a very structured playing style

He's also very adaptable, very good at reading games and adapting to the opponents, and great at making adjustments

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He loves Mbappé but already assumed that this year will be impossible.
I think he would like Pogba for the style he's looking for, and although (almost) impossible he would deserve the club to make a serious attempt.
Modric has finished the season very well but I don't know if it will be enough next year

Cal?

CR7 fan
He loves Mbappé but already assumed that this year will be impossible.
I think he would like Pogba for the style he's looking for, and although (almost) impossible he would deserve the club to make a serious attempt.
Modric has finished the season very well but I don't know if it will be enough next year
I gathered, would just rather not engage in another long drawn out "will he won't he" sage with Real Madrid.

Btw, congrats to you Real fans, very happy to see you win.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Vini and Mbappé are meant to play together :drool:

Honestly we do need cover at RB and in midfield. Pogba would be awesome, but anybody fast and mobile and dynamic would do. Also probably a LB because i fear Marcelo is done :(

We need Hazard to get fit and be Hazard, and a right-sided forward with goals. Mbappé awesome, if not i'd want us to go for Sancho honestly. But i don't think we'll have the money
Not so sure honestly.
Mbappe loves through balls and attacking space between lines
He's never played with a winger running at players alongside him.

He'd be a perfect fit by taking Vinicius' place honestly.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I gathered, would just rather not engage in another long drawn out "will he won't he" sage with Real Madrid.

Btw, congrats to you Real fans, very happy to see you win.
Thank you Cal

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Zidane is great exalting the individual qualities of his players rather than having a very structured playing style

He's also very adaptable, very good at reading games and adapting to the opponents, and great at making adjustments
So whom does he best compare to? Someone like Trapattoni?

Jackal981

Yeah as I said in other post, shades of Fergie style of management. If Ole does not work out would love to see him manage United (however impossible that is). Insane because apparently he left Madrid the first time because he was not backed in the transfer market ?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That part is very impressive, I couldn't really name a similar manager. Some say that it could be an italian influence?

RoyH1

It’s clear by now that the man is no fluke and is a great manager.
Maybe now his president will actually listen to him when it comes to transfers? As long as it’s not Pogba of course.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Best manager in the world, no ifs or buts about it. I think everybody here thought it would be a mistake for him to come back to a Madrid side that was completely off the pace and without their talisman CR7, and somehow he's beaten expectations again and got them the Liga again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That part is very impressive, I couldn't really name a similar manager. Some say that it could be an italian influence?
There is definitely a strong italian influence, though the ability to read games correctly isn't just an italian thing

The way he adapts to the opposition is

He does have some basic principles, but rather than tactical they're more player-oriented. Again, very italian

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Some people speak about Lippi and Ancelotti being his biggest influences and from what I've seen, it doesn't sound wrong to me. Yes, it's definitely more Italian than Spanish (i.e. Del Bosque). He abviously likes talent and to attack when possible, but if he needs to be pragmatical he will.

Another thing some people don't mention enough. I think he is obsessed with his teams being in great shape. When he played under Queiroz in 2003 and 2004, Madrid played some of the best football I've seen in 2003, but the team was completely shattered after the first game vs Monaco in 2004. I think Zidane was shocked by that episode, and since then he tries to avoid that situation at all costs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is definitely a strong italian influence, though the ability to read games correctly isn't just an italian thing

The way he adapts to the opposition is

He does have some basic principles, but rather than tactical they're more player-oriented. Again, very italian
That's a good point, he seems to change the way a certain player will execute his role and counter something that the opposition is doing more than he changes the style of the team. I didn't realize that it was very italian.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
No

Honestly, a mix of Ferguson, Ancelotti and Allegri
Marcelo Lippi above all of them tactically..and i see clear influence from Vicente Del Bosque and his calm way in dealing with all the Galacticos (Zidane including)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Credit to Zidane. I thought he was crazy going back to the Casa Blanca, and there was a time when it seemed like Florentino was waiting for him to fail. However, he's turned the season around with a pragmatic approach and helped Madrid find the same bloody mindedness that saw them through to successive Champions League titles on his watch.

Its interesting how Zidane's status as a Madrid icon allows him to get away with 'it.' You don't see AS or Marca criticising him for taking the opposition into account too much, or being too happy to grind out results. If Florentino allows Zidane room to build the team he wants then you can imagine Madrid becoming the image of Lippi's 1990s Juventus: Nobody worked harder, nobody was harder to beat.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
To me this feels a lot like the Liverpool league win, lifting the title not because you're actually the best. But just because your main rivals had a poor season. It happens a lot in football.

Congratulations to Real Madrid though, and Zidane, what a career both as a footballer and a Manager.

Hulksmash

Zidane is impossible to dislike. Madrid doesn't deserve him as a Manager

Cloud7

The thing that Zidane has done as a manager, nothing short of mind blowing. Truly one of the best managers in the history of the game, and still so young in his managerial career as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hmmm

The basic premise is that he's a big believer in technical superiority and fitness. Beyond that, he's a great man-manager, leader, and creates very strong dressing rooms with a lot of unity and a winning mentality

Tactically he adapts to his players and on the opponents

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Totally vindicated in regards to Bale. Has the team happy and playing for each other and he seems to know how to win games and adapt when tested.

Congrats to Madrid fans

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Hmmm

The basic premise is that he's a big believer in technical superiority and fitness. Beyond that, he's a great man-manager, leader, and creates very strong dressing rooms with a lot of unity and a winning mentality

Tactically he adapts to his players and on the opponents
Exactly.

Right now, the best thing Zidane has going for himself is that he's not obtuse, trying to replicate an idea and tinker with it until perfection, leaving himself exposed to being countered.

He still has some faults, but he doesn't believe in himself like the second coming or things like that, he probably wants his players to express themselves like he would like to do, and has the insight to read games at top level. If he manages to keep his feet on the ground he'll be a fearsome manager to have against every single season in the future.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Title shows that Real Madrid wasn't carried by Ronaldo like some suggested, they have incredible players that were just as important

Revan

Assumptionman
This might not go down well on here, but he is very SAF-esque imo(without the hair-dryer treatment as far as I'm aware).

Adaptable and great tactically. Amazing man manager and he's just a winner.
Fergie was never great tactically. He was good and at the end of his career, maybe even very good, but he was never one of the best tacticians around.

Eddy_JukeZ

Fergie was never great tactically. He was good and at the end of his career, maybe even very good, but he was never one of the best tacticians around.
I think he was great. I know his tactical prowess is discussed a fair bit, but there's never a good argument presented for why Fergie wasn't great tactically.

But there's been better tacticians throughout history, I'll give you that.

Jose is arguably better tactically than Fergie(Jose at his peak).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Exactly.

Right now, the best thing Zidane has going for himself is that he's not obtuse, trying to replicate an idea and tinker with it until perfection, leaving himself exposed to being countered.

He still has some faults, but he doesn't believe in himself like the second coming or things like that, he probably wants his players to express themselves like he would like to do, and has the insight to read games at top level. If he manages to keep his feet on the ground he'll be a fearsome manager to have against every single season in the future.
Like Pep Guardiola, for example?

I never thought Zidane, probably my all-time favorite player, would ever become a good manager, never mind one of the all-time greats as far as start of a career goes (and actually, his resume is already one of the best ever). I thought he was too shy and not someone who could express his ideas in the best manner to get to different personalities; very ignorant of me. I also tend to think that great players don't often translate into great coaches, because it's more difficult for them to understand and exploit the abilities of most players because what seems simple for them is more difficult for the average footballer to grasp and apply.

He took a big risk to his reputation coming back, I think most of us felt it was a mistake. He's proven so many people wrong, and I have to agree with Ramos, he's like the French Midas, everything he touches turns into gold, from his playing days to now his managerial career; he's just an all-time legend of football when you take both careers into consideration.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he was great. I know his tactical prowess is discussed a fair bit, but there's never a good argument presented for why Fergie wasn't great tactically.

But there's been better tacticians throughout history, I'll give you that.

Jose is arguably better tactically than Fergie(Jose at his peak).
Oh, there is. Relatively poor record in UCL*, and not a good record vs big European teams.

2 titles, 4 finals, and 7 semi-finals or so in 19 seasons is pretty decent, but not necessarily great. Zidane has already more titles (as has Ancelotti), Guardiola has more semi-finals and so on. We also had our fair share of getting eliminated in group stages, and except in 1999 final (when we got totally outplayed), I don't remember us eliminating a team that was supposed to be better than ours.

Essentially, if I had a match for my life against a stronger team, Fergie wouldn't make my list of managers. If I have a season-long league against as good and potentially stronger teams, then yes, he would be. And if I want to win the league as many times as possible for the next decade, then the list would essentially have only one name.

Don't get me wrong, he was good at it. Just not as good as some others, and not as good as on his other skills.

Eddy_JukeZ

Oh, there is. Relatively poor record in UCL*, and not a good record vs big European teams.

2 titles, 4 finals, and 7 semi-finals or so in 19 seasons is pretty decent, but not necessarily great. Zidane has already more titles (as has Ancelotti), Guardiola has more semi-finals and so on. We also had our fair share of getting eliminated in group stages, and except in 1999 final (when we got totally outplayed), I don't remember us eliminating a team that was supposed to be better than ours.

Essentially, if I had a match for my life against a stronger team, Fergie wouldn't make my list of managers. If I have a season-long league against as good and potentially stronger teams, then yes, he would be. And if I want to win the league as many times as possible for the next decade, then the list would essentially have only one name.

Don't get me wrong, he was good at it. Just not as good as some others, and not as good as on his other skills.
I mean I won't deny that early on Fergie had his struggles in Europe. That said, you can't deny the bad luck that when he 'figured' out Europe, we ran into arguably the greatest club side ever.

I mean we got lucky in the '99 final, but there's other times where we got unlucky. Leverkusen in 2002. Real in 2013. Bayern in 2010. Porto in 2004(probably the biggest share of luck going against us).

His major mishap is probably the 2011 final from a tactical POV, but I think any approach was futile for that game.

Not denying he's a better league manager than UCL, but it's a bit blasphemous to label his UCL record as relatively poor. Just because a few managers had better records, doesn't mean Fergie's was poor.

DarkLord

Anchelotti maybe.
He is a far better manager than Ancelotti. Ancelotti is obviously a great tactician and one of the all time great managers in Europe but his poor record in the league with AC Milan is disgracefully bad, only one title in 8 years. Zidane has won 2 La Ligas in his 3 seasons with the club.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I mean I won't deny that early on Fergie had his struggles in Europe. That said, you can't deny the bad luck that when he 'figured' out Europe, we ran into arguably the greatest club side ever.

I mean we got lucky in the '99 final, but there's other times where we got unlucky. Leverkusen in 2002. Real in 2013. Bayern in 2010. Porto in 2004(probably the biggest share of luck going against us).

His major mishap is probably the 2011 final from a tactical POV, but I think any approach was futile for that game.

Not denying he's a better league manager than UCL, but it's a bit blasphemous to label his UCL record as relatively poor. Just because a few managers had better records, doesn't mean Fergie's was poor.
Huh? We got outclassed in that one mate

Eddy_JukeZ

Huh? We got outclassed in that one mate
No we didn't.

We were in complete control in the 2nd leg before the Nani red.

And even in the 1st leg, RVP missed a glorious chance to give us the win and hit the bar/post on another shot.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
No we didn't.

We were in complete control in the 2nd leg before the Nani red.

And even in the 1st leg, RVP missed a glorious chance to give us the win and hit the bar/post on another shot.
My bad, i read that as real madrid 2003, when Ronaldo9 did us