Zidane sack watch - 19/20

United Junkie

Yeah, 2 or 3 offside goals for Madrid, a ridiculous red card for Vidal, failing to send off Casemiro was pretty “standard”.

The Chelsea game has been blown out of proportion by butthurt Roman’s paid scribes in the media. Barcelona got their fair share of unjust decisions in the tie
Where da money at!!

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol: You said it was a matter of time, and I disagreed. How can you read my posts and come to the conclusion that I said they can never get there. And then add the top red nonsense. Your interpretation comes across as anti-red rather than mine being top-red.

If you form your opinions based on the "average fans across the globe" then great. But I don't. For me, Sir Alex has nearly the perfect package - broke a dual dynasty, built dynasty in a top league, won CLs (the one blot is that he should have won 3 or 4), attacking football, promoted youth, elevated some no so great players through sheer winning mentality, trophy haul. I never said "nobody can ever surpass him". But as things stand, I don't see anyone expect to rate higher anytime soon. Maybe that will change.

Pep is brilliant and among the all time greats, but I think he is very specific in the kind of teams/players he suits. Funnily enough if he had a bit of Klopp (he's better than Klopp of course) in him, that ability to build and elevate something imperfect, then he'd be much higher for me. Zidane has a long way to go. As I said, just 2 titles in the league at an elite club like Madrid - long way to go. CLs achievements are brilliant but early days.
Ah, so I call your take a top red therefore I must be anti-red, very good.

So just to be clear, I said it's only a matter of time before he gets close to SAF, you took it as it's only a matter of time before he surpasses him. I never said then they'd surpass him (although I think it's very possible), all I've said is it's a matter of time, given the rate at which they're going, where they can be mentioned in the same sentence in the eyes of the general fan, not United fans who will obviously always feel this way no matter what, and for very valid reasons. You're acting like they're nowhere near when Pep's already equalled SAF's trophy haul in the CL and has more than half of his league titles across three different leagues. That's more impressive to me and many others than what SAF's done at the same point in his own career. Different strokes for different folks.

And you're within your right not to consider the average fan across the globe, I don't base my opinion on anything else than my own feelings, but I know how history works and how people in sports tend to be remembered. We can agree to disagree, but I think most people will consider Guardiola and possibly Zidane as well close if not better than SAF by the time they're done, and they're already not that far away now unlike how you suggested. Their trophy haul speaks for themselves, you can choose to ignore that and claim they're nowhere near, but don't expect the rest of the world to do the same in the next decade or so. Whether they can handle the pressure of coaching for another few decades is another matter, but if they keep it up long into the future, I think they absolutely will be put in the same sentence as SAF for anybody that knows football.

Suedesi

You're right, Roman's paid off myself and so many others. What a ridiculous comment to make.

You should rewatch both the Barca - Chelsea semi final and the Bayern - Real games to be honest.
You're a consumer of English media, aren't you?

I've seen both matches, Bayern were robbed, Chelsea also.

Where da money at!!
Caymans

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, 2 or 3 offside goals for Madrid, a ridiculous red card for Vidal, failing to send off Casemiro was pretty “standard”.

The Chelsea game has been blown out of proportion by butthurt Roman’s paid scribes in the media. Barcelona got their fair share of unjust decisions in the tie
With VAR Vidal is off 10 minutes into that game to be fair. It was a general clusterfeck and ultimately we benefited from it but there were several high profile mistakes against too in that tie(bad penalty in the first leg, offside goal in the second to name the 2 big ones)

Suedesi

Madrid won, refs mistakes are part of the game, and that’s that. My point was Madrid got some pretty favorable decisions, but so did Barcelona, Porto not that it matters. Pointless 5-10 years later to discuss all that, and review YouTube footage which is going to be biased nevertheless.

Whatever, let’s go back to discussing how great Zizou is...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Either way your take was a poor one given your comprehension was extremely weak as you failed to even quote me correctly. Disagreeing that Zidane is well on his way to matching/surpassing SAF or the initial ridiculous claim that a 4th cL would place him as the greatest ever, is 'top red stuff'. The state of this place these days :lol:

Suedesi

So just to be clear, I said it's only a matter of time before he gets close to SAF, you took it as it's only a matter of time before he surpasses him. I never said then they'd surpass him (although I think it's very possible), all I've said is it's a matter of time, given the rate at which they're going, where they can be mentioned in the same sentence in the eyes of the general fan, not United fans who will obviously always feel this way no matter what, and for very valid reasons. You're acting like they're nowhere near when Pep's already equalled SAF's trophy haul in the CL and has more than half of his league titles across three different leagues. That's more impressive to me and many others than what SAF's done at the same point in his own career. Different strokes for different folks.

And you're within your right not to consider the average fan across the globe, I don't base my opinion on anything else than my own feelings, but I know how history works and how people in sports tend to be remembered. We can agree to disagree, but I think most people will consider Guardiola and possibly Zidane as well close if not better than SAF by the time they're done, and they're already not that far away now unlike how you suggested. Their trophy haul speaks for themselves, you can choose to ignore that and claim they're nowhere near, but don't expect the rest of the world to do the same in the next decade or so. Whether they can handle the pressure of coaching for another few decades is another matter, but if they keep it up long into the future, I think they absolutely will be put in the same sentence as SAF for anybody that knows football.
Guardiola did his best work at Barcelona, that's for certain. Amazing team, almost total dominance. Then he went to an all conquering Bayern Munich, that had just won the treble, managed to obtain Lewandowski, Gotze, Hummels, Thiago etc, etc and did fckall. He certainly didn't get the most out of that squad. At City he's done well domestically given his resources, but has choked in Europe. I'm not in the Fraudiola camp, but why does he choke so much in crucial matches? Even against BVB this year he's benefitted from a glaring referee mistake and the tie is still in question. I don't get it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In order to match SAF, Zidane would have to win league titles almost every other year for a good 15 seasons. It's not a given that he will be managing in 15 years and it's definitely not a given that he will win every other years.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
he seems to be doing alright, any reason why this thread is busy?
Half of the posts seem to be from @Sayros implying that hardly anyone cares about SAF winning league titles with a club like Aberdeen against giants Celtic and Rangers, whereas everyone cares about Pep winning league titles with minnows Bayern against the likes of Dortmund & Co.

caid

Every manager thread on the caf is called sack watch. Its not entirely serious.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Half of the posts seem to be from @Sayros implying that hardly anyone cares about SAF winning league titles with a club like Aberdeen against giants Celtic and Rangers, whereas everyone cares about Pep winning league titles with minnows Bayern against the likes of Dortmund & Co.
Then he/she would be a fecking moron if true

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Impressive but let's not forget 3 of those were in Germany managing Bayern Munich, you can hardly go wrong there ...
Nine in total (including this year), three in three different countries. Been managing for around 12 years. It’s pretty good

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nah f those chelsea scums. They were heavily favoured by the refs in the first leg. The better team won the tie. Let them cry.

Speaking of refereeing the red card we got vs madrid wasnt a red either and the one vs mourinhos porto. 2 more european cups fergie could have won.
Friendly advice mate, you should generally check the "supports" line in the profiles of those you respond to!

And having rewatched both legs on multiple occasions as I'm a bit of a masochist, I fundamentally disagree. Chelsea were much the better side over the two legs and there's a reason the second match is pointed to as an all time catastrophic referee performance.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Either way your take was a poor one given your comprehension was extremely weak as you failed to even quote me correctly. Disagreeing that Zidane is well on his way to matching/surpassing SAF or the initial ridiculous claim that a 4th cL would place him as the greatest ever, is 'top red stuff'. The state of this place these days :lol:
None of that is true, it's ironic you're talking about my comprehension when in the very same post you showed a poor understanding of the post you're trying to mock. I simply mentioned time is on their side to prove he (and Guardiola while we're at it) can be mentioned among the best coaches of all-time. Nothing really crazy about it.

Guardiola did his best work at Barcelona, that's for certain. Amazing team, almost total dominance. Then he went to an all conquering Bayern Munich, that had just won the treble, managed to obtain Lewandowski, Gotze, Hummels, Thiago etc, etc and did fckall. He certainly didn't get the most out of that squad. At City he's done well domestically given his resources, but has choked in Europe. I'm not in the Fraudiola camp, but why does he choke so much in crucial matches? Even against BVB this year he's benefitted from a glaring referee mistake and the tie is still in question. I don't get it.
I'm simply saying he has already accomplished quite a lot and he's still very young for a manager. If he doesn't burn out (which with Pep is a fair concern), he has all the possibilities in the world to end up as an all-time great coach, I think he already is personally but I can understand others not feeling the same, I just think time is in his favor and he will always be demanded on the best teams to add more to his resume, including dispelling the notion he's chocking in crucial matches, fair or not.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
With more available players and fresher legs I would agree with you, but under current circumstances I will say it's closer to 50% than it seems.
As I said, in control the whole time.
I can’t go that far at this stage, no way. There’s just been too many great managers that have completely revolutionised the sport or had success in multiple, wildly differing scenarios.

What I will say about Zidane is that he is clearly a fantastic manager, but there seems to be some reluctance for people to actually accept this, and I’m not sure why. His record is astounding. Maybe it’s the fact that he was such a great player.
An argument can be made, not saying I think he is, but if he does win a 4th this year in 5 attempts, before he turns 50, when only 2 other managers have ever won 3 in the history of the competition.
Most successful sure, but best manager? The ones who are seen as the best more or less also leave a legacy and a lasting influence on the game. Zidane won't do this as @TheMagicFoolBus mentioned - he does not stand for a certain style, he just knows how to get the best out of the players available, but there is no vision or something like that. His team has no identity and no one will replicate their style because they just don't have one. And that is not a bad thing currently for them, it just means that Real will need a manager who can do the same on his own and who can not build on a certain legacy except the squad. But as we have often seen, managing a great team you inherited and keeping up their style and success is also difficult, so in the end this does not matter much, especially for Real who tend to have shorter cycles and often don't do long-term team building.
The best managers tend to be in the most successful ones, and this year he doesn't even have the best player in the world.
Better than Sir Alex? No fecking chance.
An argument can be made, not saying I think he is, but if he does win a 4th this year in 5 attempts, before he turns 50, when only 2 other managers have ever won 3 in the history of the competition.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Madrid won, refs mistakes are part of the game, and that’s that. My point was Madrid got some pretty favorable decisions, but so did Barcelona, Porto not that it matters. Pointless 5-10 years later to discuss all that, and review YouTube footage which is going to be biased nevertheless.

Whatever, let’s go back to discussing how great Zizou is...
You make it sound like the refereeing was similarly bad, but the Scandal of Stamford Bridge was the single WORST refereeing performance ever in top European football.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

It's a good thing the semis are in two weeks because Madrid players looked extremely tired tonight.

Made Liverpool look like they were on PEDS.

Huge difference in physicality tonight

Cal?

CR7 fan
But Liverpool had their chances in the first half. If they score, how easily can you control the game with fatigued players?
I think Madrid would have found an extra gear if they needed to.

Wayne's World

Brilliant coach, tactically spot on tonight. Yes they had a few nervy moments but you would expect that in a CL quarter-final.

Think they will beat Chelsea too so another final and they don't lose finals

tomaldinho1

Brilliant coach, tactically spot on tonight. Yes they had a few nervy moments but you would expect that in a CL quarter-final.

Think they will beat Chelsea too so another final and they don't lose finals
Think Chelsea will grind out a win - Real look fecked and they're still in LL race with so few players fit - Chelsea will keep the ball all night and just have them chase it for 70mins then nick a 1 nil

Utd7

Usually when Zidane gets this far, they go all the way. They’re not the best team in Europe on paper. But it’s in their club DNA to rise to the occasion. I expect them to win it all and Zidane leaves again on top for Juventus.

Idxomer

I think they'll lose the final this time if they beat Chelsea but it's an achievement anyway to get this far with the current squad.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Think Chelsea will grind out a win - Real look fecked and they're still in LL race with so few players fit - Chelsea will keep the ball all night and just have them chase it for 70mins then nick a 1 nil
I can't see Real losing to Chelsea, especially if Ramos is back

Eddy_JukeZ

Real Madrid have something ingrained in them that even when they're not at their best, they can win the CL.

I would be stunned if Chelsea knock them out.

Suedesi

Chelsea are compact, the type of game Madrid doesn't like but I still see them in the final.

No doubt PSG will beat City.

Madrid - PSG in the final.

Paul_Scholes18

Chelsea are compact, the type of game Madrid doesn't like but I still see them in the final.

No doubt PSG will beat City.

Madrid - PSG in the final.
Yeah I predict and hope that too. Will be close, but I think Real got many winners.

PSG I think have too good attack for City to stop. It could be high scoring at both directions, but City may miss too many chances and Navas is quality.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You make it sound like the refereeing was similarly bad, but the Scandal of Stamford Bridge was the single WORST refereeing performance ever in top European football.
Sounds like a Sherlock episode or something like that.

reddevilchennai

If they get to the finals, they would win it mostly as their current players are more experienced in playing in the CL finals. Only issue is that Ronaldo factor will be missing this time in the finals.

PSG will be under pressure to win the finals at least this time this time and City has no experience of CL finals.

Cloud7

Real Madrid have something ingrained in them that even when they're not at their best, they can win the CL.

I would be stunned if Chelsea knock them out.
The CL is their competition. The pricks. You don’t win 13 CL’s by accident. There have always been great teams throughout history, but only one team has ever accumulated that much. Real Madrid is synonymous with the European Cup.

InfiniteBoredom

If they get to the finals, they would win it mostly as their current players are more experienced in playing in the CL finals. Only issue is that Ronaldo factor will be missing this time in the finals.

PSG will be under pressure to win the finals at least this time this time and City has no experience of CL finals.
Ronaldo was mostly invisible in all their finals.

If their midfield and Ramos have a good game they will win it. Still, has to get past the Chavs first, who have successfully shithoused their way to results the past few months.

RoyH1

Thread title should be changed to just "Zidane Watch".
Nah. It's Madrid and the hysterical fans down there. Lose 2 games in a row and Zidane's position is endangered again. That's just the way things are down there.