Zidane sack watch - 19/20

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It can be but the nature of the format means luck also plays an important part. Luck with draws, luck with refs, luck to make sure you don't have an off day on that day. I have seen on many occasion Manchester United under sir alex getting knocked out even when we were the better side. It is far more entertaining and maybe even prestigious than winning the league (we definitely should have won more than 2 times under sir alex) but I am not too sure if winning it makes you a better manager than say someone who wins the PL.
Regarding your last sentence, I dont know either. Some managers are made for league campaigns and some for cup runs, it doesn't mean one is better than other.
The way I see it is the fact that it takes some luck to win the CL ( it also does in the league in terms of terrible refereeing for instance) makes it more difficult to predict who will win it and therefore makes it harder to win

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, he really must be...
Must be so jelly, he's only won the World Cup, World Cup golden ball, Euros, euro best player, ballon d'or, FIFA best player, italian serie A x2, La Liga, Champions League...

AshRK

What the feck has happened to Hazard? He looks so demotivated. Zidane so far is looking like an idiot to go back to Madrid. He should have joined Juventus or PSG.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Similarly Madrid have won CL 4 times in the last 6 odd years but they were only the best team in the league once. In CL if you are good on that day and have luck on your side chances are you can go to the latter stages and even win the trophy. Again no way I am seeing all CL winners are lucky but for me winning a league is a bit more challenging considering you need to be consistent for most of the season.
Every major league has been won consecutive times by multiple teams over the last 30 years(except maybe the bundes?). Real Madrid were the first to win the CL back-to-back in the CL era, first to do it since Milan 89 and 90, and first to win 3 in a row since Bayern in the 70s...

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I never said city would have won the CL had they beaten SPurs. Don't know where you got that from. Point was Man city over the last 2 years have got the better of Spurs in all matches bar one which ultimately proved to be a knock out blow and that is why I referenced the spurs example.

Regarding your second point I don't understand what relevance that has to do with the original point considering I was just using last season's example.
That's the problem, you were using that example when the main debate at stake was Pep's achievements and his performances in CL:

I know some value winning the CL more but I would say winning the league especially in PL is much harder than winning a CL. City could play Tottenham again and 9 out of 10 times city will beat Tottenham. I am not defending Pep or giving any excuse but one cannot take away his achievements.
And since those performances involved rivals other than Spurs as well, and after those rounds many quality experienced teams were awaiting, I don't know how your example proves to be a good reference for the debate.

AshRK

That's the problem, you were using that example when the main debate at stake was Pep's achievements and his performances in CL:

And since those performances involved rivals other than Spurs as well, and after those rounds many quality experienced teams were awaiting, I don't know how your example proves to be a good reference for the debate.
I myself have been critical of Pep's management in CL game so my point was not to defend Pep's failure to do well in CL. I was just commenting on the fact how some think Zidane's achievement with Madrid is better than Pep's . Personally, it is difficult to compare considering one has done well in knock out formats and other has done extremely well winning the league, which is where I said for me winning the league especially in England is much harder than winning the CL. It is matter of opinion. I don't blame if you feel otherwise.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I myself have been critical of Pep's management in CL game so my point was not to defend Pep's failure to do well in CL. I was just commenting on the fact how some think Zidane's achievement with Madrid is better than Pep's . Personally, it is difficult to compare considering one has done well in knock out formats and other has done extremely well winning the league, which is where I said for me winning the league especially in England is much harder than winning the CL. It is matter of opinion. I don't blame if you feel otherwise.
It is objectively easier to win a league -any league- than the CL

Now if your argument is that the league is a better judge of quality, then sure, i kind of agree with that

wr8_utd

:'(
To do well, with the awful defense they've got, they're going to have outscore teams very frequently and I just don't see that happening.

AshRK

It is objectively easier to win a league -any league- than the CL

Now if your argument is that the league is a better judge of quality, then sure, i kind of agree with that
I disagree with that. Like I said you need to be consistent enough to win the league. In CL , if you have luck of draws with you and ref's decision then you can very well reach the latter stages to even win it, Chelsea 2011 being the prime example. Ofcourse one has to play well and cannot solely depend on luck but luck plays a huge role in CL or any knock out format than a league format.

Gonçalo Motta

Zidane going back to RM was such a dumb move.

Now everyone is seeing what a few people already suspected - his success was on the back of one of the best players in history and a few core players peaking at the right time and not because he is a genius coach.

Can't say I'm surprised, he always seemed tactically naive

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I disagree with that. Like I said you need to be consistent enough to win the league. In CL , if you have luck of draws with you and ref's decision then you can very well reach the latter stages to even win it, Chelsea 2011 being the prime example. Ofcourse one has to play well and cannot solely depend on luck but luck plays a huge role in CL or any knock out format than a league format.
To win the league you need to be good/great. To win the CL you need to be good/great AND lucky. Easier to be good than good and lucky

::sonny::

Now everyone is seeing what a few people already suspected - his success was on the back of one of the best players in history and a few core players peaking at the right time and not because he is a genius coach.

Can't say I'm surprised, he always seemed tactical naive
This

Zhadow

To win the league you need to be good/great. To win the CL you need to be good/great AND lucky. Easier to be good than good and lucky
Roberto Di Matteo won the CL with Chelsea. And he was not, is not and will never be a good/great manager. You can win the CL with alot of luck. You just can have an easy run till to the final and then just win it.

el3mel

To win the league you need to be consistent not just good/great.

rotherham_red

Someone on Twitter came up with the #SexyMoyes hashtag for him, and it's just so apt right now...

::sonny::

1. RM sign Pogba
2. Zidane sacked
3. Mourinho to RM
4. Pogba benched

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

Too early to judge but in truth replacing Ronaldo with Hazard was never the answer. That’s 50 goals a season replaced by 20 goals. No matter how good Hazard is on the ball goals win games.

I sense it will be a couple of years until Real Madrid are back at it. Benzema, Bale and Ramos need replacing soon. The youngsters coming through just aren’t at the same quality. The market is ridiculous. And then the trigger happy board means no manager gets the time to implement anything.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Easy there. Was breaking news on Talksport Radio. It just seemed current whilst I was...ya know...in this Real Madrid thread.
Well it was bullshit where ever it came from.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
:lol: At everyone writing him off before a ball is even kicked. They’ve made some awesome signings and preseason is genuinely nothing to go by. We couldn’t even beat nöosteewhoeverthefecktheyare until the 91st minute today. He’ll get them playing well in my opinion and probably win them the league if Barce don’t get the Neymar deal over the line.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
:lol: At everyone writing him off before a ball is even kicked. They’ve made some awesome signings and preseason is genuinely nothing to go by. We couldn’t even beat nöosteewhoeverthefecktheyare until the 91st minute today. He’ll get them playing well in my opinion and probably win them the league if Barce don’t get the Neymar deal over the line.
They kept their attack and got Griezmann. Bolstered their midfield. And Messi is a monster in the league. Barcelona is gonna retain it

Fenre

Supports
Liverpool
Poch becomes manager in November

kouroux

Can't say I'm surprised, he always seemed tactically naive
We should still a few more months before making premature conclusions already. It doesn't look good at the moment but things can change. Too many people love to tell others "i told you so".

Gonçalo Motta

We should still a few more months before making premature conclusions already. It doesn't look good at the moment but things can change. Too many people love to tell others "i told you so".
Maybe. But it's not surprising if you think about it.

In his first run he had a complete world class squad playing at their peak and with a system already in place from the previous managers. Ronaldo was the main core piece that made the system work and every core player were delivering in a consistent basis (specially in the CL).
You could already see that Zidane was really naive tactical wise and his best attributes were locker room management and tbf that was exactly what RM needed.

Now the story is completely different. Ronaldo is gone, most of the core players from those seasons are declining hard and you just can't use the same system by replacing Ronaldo with Hazard and expect it to work.

I honestly can see him having a better season than the last one, but atp RM are miles behind Barcelona and Atlético and I doubt Zidane will be the right person to close the gap.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Some new players in that squad though.

Hazard, Vinicius, Brahim, Rodrygo, Militao, Mendy, Kubo, Jovic and maybe Pogba and other midfielder as well. I include Vinicius there becaue he barely played 2 months last season.

Those are potentially 10 new players.

Too many question marks imo.

The Japanese guy looks promising. Rodrygo too. Fede Valverde is also highly rated by some. We'll have to wait to see what all those players can do.

kouroux

Maybe. But it's not surprising if you think about it.

In his first run he had a complete world class squad playing at their peak and with a system already in place from the previous managers. Ronaldo was the main core piece that made the system work and every core player were delivering in a consistent basis (specially in the CL).
You could already see that Zidane was really naive tactical wise and his best attributes were locker room management and tbf that was exactly what RM needed.

Now the story is completely different. Ronaldo is gone, most of the core players from those seasons are declining hard and you just can't use the same system by replacing Ronaldo with Hazard and expect it to work.

I honestly can see him having a better season than the last one, but atp RM are miles behind Barcelona and Atlético and I doubt Zidane will be the right person to close the gap.
Of course it's not surprising, still a little too early to write them/him off. Patience never hurt anybody

Lee565

Imagine if he and real did part ways before the end of the season and Mourinho took over considering he was in contention before they re-hired zidane, what then for pogba next summer if he remains at United this summer?

kouroux

Imagine if he and real did part ways before the end of the season and Mourinho took over considering he was in contention before they re-hired zidane, what then for pogba next summer if he remains at United this summer?
He signs a contract extension at Man United.