Ziegler: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Greece to launch joint bid for 2030 World Cup

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
  • This joint bid
  • The UK & Ireland abandoned their joint World Cup bid for 2030.
  • Other notable bids:
    • UEFA-backed Spain & Portugal
    • South American bid involving four countries (one of which is Uruguay)
This is the first time we have countries from three different confederations coming together to formally announce a bid. There were some murmurs about Morocco being a part of the Spain-Portugal bid, but that does not seem to be the case now. Winter World Cups may become more common if Qatar's succeeds, and I wouldn't be surprised if Saudi Arabia do all they can to win this bid given how they've put in so much work for other sporting events.

EDIT: More info

Last edited:

Idxomer

I mean it's not gonna happen but this would be another winter World Cup.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Can we NOT pick another destination where you can be locked In actual prison for drinking in public?

Or where limb loss via the state is a genuine consideration?

I feel like these should be on a checklist or something.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How would this be fair in terms of climate for teams playing in Greece compared to those playing in Saudi Arabia?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Spain-Portugal would be good.

We've not actually had a World Cup in (proper) Europe since 2006.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Send it to South America. They deserve the centenary.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Spain-Portugal would be good.

We've not actually had a World Cup in (proper) Europe since 2006.
In terms of logistic is much better. In less than an hour of flight you can reach several cities between Spain and Portugal. But I would prefer to be somewhere else simply because it will be a clusterf*ck of corruption that will end up on sending tax payers money with little to no return.

FerociousCorgis

would be a fecking horrendous bid. Saudi Arabia gets away with so much shit they should be called out on. Thankfully wont win just glad i can go to a world cup soonish where i dont have to worry about being thrown in jail for no reason once this sham of a qatar shitshow is over

RedDevilRoshi

Spain/Portugal get my vote although money is all that matters in the end so reckon it’ll be the Saudi’s.

Monks_United

Talk about an eclectic bunch ! They'll need to have some sort of a weird visa combo to be able to get a permit for all three countries else just the paperwork itself would be a massive headache !

FerociousCorgis

Talk about an eclectic bunch ! They'll need to have some sort of a weird visa combo to be able to get a permit for all three countries else just the paperwork itself would be a massive headache !
yeah maybe following bid can be a join Ecuador/Thailand/Sudan bid. Or hell lets just have each group play in a different country and make it a true World Cup. Shit why not take it a step further and every single game has to be played in a different country. Joint bids are starting to get a bit fecking stupid.

Monks_United

yeah maybe following bid can be a join Ecuador/Thailand/Sudan bid. Or hell lets just have each group play in a different country and make it a true World Cup. Shit why not take it a step further and every single game has to be played in a different country. Joint bids are starting to get a bit fecking stupid.
Well, I propose a joint bid between Iceland, Kenya and Colombia. Lets put the extra challenge for teams in there to play in the snow, heat and the rain to crown the true "World" Champions ! Basically, turn up the hard mode for the World Cup !

crossy1686

career ending
In another 10 years world cups will be held exclusively in the Arab states from that point onwards. FIFA can practically taste the money.

BigDycheEnergy

In another 10 years world cups will be held exclusively in the Arab states from that point onwards. FIFA can practically taste the money.
In my opinion it should be held in Antarctica every time from now on. Between games we can drink beer, chill with penguins and watch The Thing on repeat on an outdoor big screen. It would be awesome!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Greece, Egypt and Saudi Arabia joint bid is like that story of Ji Sung Park, Patrice Evra and Carlos Tevez being best buds.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Imo 2030 should be in Uruguay. Just like 1930 was. However, I'm not against an Egypt and Saudi Arabia World Cup in principle. Chucking Greece in their as a third seems kinda random though.

Whatever happens, I don't want it moved to winter again to accommodate the hosts. Whoever has it lets have the games played in June and July please.

Rojofiam

2022 Qatar, 2030 Saudi Arabia :lol:

2026 is the only one I'll go to it seems. Spain - Portugal would be fecking awesome, though.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Greece?!

What a weird combination.

arthurka

If the WC becomes a winter thing I am sure they will lose fans and interest in general. By hosting this in the summer most other sports are not running and it fills a void. Winter has all the sports running.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Honestly this would be a really cool world cup. The old world theme would work for it.

Also, this doesn't have to be in the winter. Any Saudis in here could correct me but this would likely be in a new stadium Saudi Arabia will build in their new city, Neom. From what I have heard it's cooler there (and the mountains actually get snow sometimes!)

So Cairo, Athens and north west of Saudi Arabia probably make it for a summer tournament being feasible

FerociousCorgis

Honestly this would be a really cool world cup. The old world theme would work for it.

Also, this doesn't have to be in the winter. Any Saudis in here could correct me but this would likely be in a new stadium Saudi Arabia will build in their new city, Neom. From what I have heard it's cooler there (and the mountains actually get snow sometimes!)

So Cairo, Athens and north west of Saudi Arabia probably make it for a summer tournament being feasible
yeah totally cool world cup. Only like a 10 percent chance of a fan getting jailed for no reason or getting a body part cut off. Just make sure to not drink or have the audacity to be a gay. Or a woman. No idea how the feck saudi arabia constantly gets ignored for being just an absolute shit show of a human rights country.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t go to the South American bid, with it being 100 years since the first World Cup was won and hosted by Uruguay.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Spain is really deserving to host a World Cup imho, the last time they hosted anything was the Euros in the 80s, right?
We're in as well just for extra diplomatic points and splitting of costs :lol:

Ludens the Red

could the Saudis not find a country nearby to mask their bid behind? At least try and not make it obvious.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wouldn't mind a World Cup from Egypt and Greece, two great old empires, Saudi can feck off.

That being said, isn't Egypt notoriously bad for tourist with scammers? And the distance between the two countries is quite large.

Turkey and Greece would make more sense, but those two hate each other right? :lol:

led_scholes

No just no.
Egypt and Greece is fine.
You want a third one to share the burden? Just put Cyprus for one group or something.
Greece-Italy makes more sense though.