Zion Suzuki - Goalkeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superden

I will be disappointed if we don’t sign this guy now. Looks excellent.
this. its sad isnt it. didnt know he existed 24 hrs ago. but know im gonna tear up my virtual season ticket if they eff this up.

SparkedIntoLife

He apparently asked to be let go to join Luton who have presumably offered him the No.1 role. Might be a case of waiting to see if we can sort cover but yes I think we'd rather keep him to fill an experienced back-up role.
I think we'd be mean to keep him under those circumstances. The problem is that he is home grown (both nation and club) which matters more and more with the new rules. I wonder if Sam Johnstone might be targeted if Heaton moves on. Only played 9 games for Palace last season, though I think it's expected he'll be their number 1 this year as Guaita is 36 and showing some signs of age. Johnstone has a £10m release clause allegedly. Maybe a bit much for a second/third choice keeper but the home grown thing may prove pivotal with us losing Jones, Iqbal and potentially McTominay/Maguire/Sancho/Greenwood/Williams etc.

ThanksBoss26

I think we'd be mean to keep him under those circumstances. The problem is that he is home grown (both nation and club) which matters more and more with the new rules. I wonder if Sam Johnstone might be targeted if Heaton moves on. Only played 9 games for Palace last season, though I think it's expected he'll be their number 1 this year as Guaita is 36 and showing some signs of age. Johnstone has a £10m release clause allegedly. Maybe a bit much for a second/third choice keeper but the home grown thing may prove pivotal with us losing Jones, Iqbal and potentially McTominay/Maguire/Sancho/Greenwood/Williams etc.
I agree, I reckon the homegrown factor is definitely in play and a factor here. I also think that it it is feasible and we can get appropriate cover we should let him go. I recall him saying last season he wanted to play more at this stage of his career.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Was thinking of Johnstone earlier. He might come back one day but as you said it's likely too early for him to settle for that role. He's not that old for a keeper and he's still in the England squad every now and then. I also think he'll be the number one or at least genuinely fight for that spot at Palace next season.

zaafi

Why would you even say that? I am sure you don't mean anything negative, probably think you are being positive, but stop labelling, who cares about the colour of their skin
Comments like this are so annoying.

Why are you making a big deal out of it? It's a completely legitimate question.

You act like people can't talk about black people as if they need you to defend them or show the world you're not a racist. In my eyes, it actually demonstrates the opposite.

Would you make this post if he asked whether it was the first time a team had two red haired goalkeepers, for instance?

tomaldinho1

Comments like this are so annoying.

Why are you making a big deal out of it? It's a completely legitimate question.

You act like people can't talk about black people as if they need you to defend them or show the world you're not a racist. In my eyes, it actually demonstrates the opposite.

Would you make this post if he asked whether it was the first time a team had two red haired goalkeepers, for instance?
It's a good question, no idea why that poster got weird. You'd need someone with some serious keeper knowledge to answer it though, most second and third choice keepers aren't well known!

Sid234

Are the links to us legitimate? the OP sounded like it was close to being a done deal

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Are the links to us legitimate? the OP sounded like it was close to being a done deal
You’d think if there was anything genuinely in this, the English journos would’ve looked into it and tweeted something about it by now.

Feels like it’s similar to the rumours about the Fenerbahçe keeper where some random twitter account claimed that a Turkish journo had published the ”news”.

SparkedIntoLife

I agree, I reckon the homegrown factor is definitely in play and a factor here. I also think that it it is feasible and we can get appropriate cover we should let him go. I recall him saying last season he wanted to play more at this stage of his career.
Was thinking of Johnstone earlier. He might come back one day but as you said it's likely too early for him to settle for that role. He's not that old for a keeper and he's still in the England squad every now and then. I also think he'll be the number one or at least genuinely fight for that spot at Palace next season.
Agreed with both of you. 2nd/3rd choice keeper is an unusual spot to occupy. Zion Suzuki might make sense as he can be coached, develop behind Onana, maybe go on a 2-3 year loan in a couple of years (ala Courtois, Henderson etc.) and then come back to compete with Onana when the latter is 32.

I'd certainly be much more comfortable with Suzuki as number 2/3 if Heaton were there too.

I don't think we can spend much more than 5 or at max 10m on a backup keeper but it's looking likely we'll need 2. Maybe even 3 if Heaton goes. Johnstone isn't really feasible due to the aforementioned reasons. Maybe someone like Alex McCarthy, Jed Steer or Karl Darlow (shudders) come into consideration therefore, due to the home grown rule.

OleGunnar20

Agreed with both of you. 2nd/3rd choice keeper is an unusual spot to occupy. Zion Suzuki might make sense as he can be coached, develop behind Onana, maybe go on a 2-3 year loan in a couple of years (ala Courtois, Henderson etc.) and then come back to compete with Onana when the latter is 32.

I'd certainly be much more comfortable with Suzuki as number 2/3 if Heaton were there too.

I don't think we can spend much more than 5 or at max 10m on a backup keeper but it's looking likely we'll need 2. Maybe even 3 if Heaton goes. Johnstone isn't really feasible due to the aforementioned reasons. Maybe someone like Alex McCarthy, Jed Steer or Karl Darlow (shudders) come into consideration therefore, due to the home grown rule.
If there's no-one along the lines of Heaton out there on a free I don't see why we wouldn't just rely on a youth player as our 3rd choice.

There's such a small chance they'll ever really be needed. With home grown rules getting tighter I think it makes sense to just have whatever u-18/21's keeper we have playing to fill that 3rd keeper spot.

SparkedIntoLife

If there's no-one along the lines of Heaton out there on a free I don't see why we wouldn't just rely on a youth player as our 3rd choice.

There's such a small chance they'll ever really be needed. With home grown rules getting tighter I think it makes sense to just have whatever u-18/21's keeper we have playing to fill that 3rd keeper spot.
You may well be right. I think this used to be the norm but Chelsea seemed to buck the trend and get some quite high profile third choice keepers. Now it seems lots of teams are doing the same. In an ideal world, I think there's value in having at least 1 experienced backup though. If we had Onana, Suzuki and Bishop, let's say, and Onana got a big injury, I'd feel a bit wary unless Suzuki was instantly great.

acolyte

At this point I'm going to absolutely flip if we don't get promising youngster Zion fecking Suzuki to be our backup goalkeeper. He's American, African, and Japanese? And what a name! It's like he was concocted in a lab to be a marketing dream.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
At this point I'm going to absolutely flip if we don't get promising youngster Zion fecking Suzuki to be our backup goalkeeper. He's American, African, and Japanese? And what a name! It's like he was concocted in a lab to be a marketing dream.
He is a real life Football Manager regen.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure if there's anything in this but if we did end up signing him, then I would presume he would go out on loan due to him still being 20. Having a 20 year old as backup isn't going to be good for his development unless the plan was to actually give him minutes in the cup competitions. I think a more established keeper with experience will be brought in as back up.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: How do you market your, at the most, backup Gk?

If he becomes no. 1 and being excellent, then it might happen. Although it's rare you can market your Gk, though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Extracts below from the Japanese source reporting the news. It seems the leg work has been done by the youth recruitment side of the club.

"The story comes from Japanese outlet Sponichi and it suggests Suzuki has been on Manchester United’s radar since 2017."

"Sponichi claims United have made a formal offer of £5m for Suzuki and that could make the 20-year-old the most expensive signing in the history of the J League. A huge moment for his club Urawa Red Diamonds. It’s even suggested an announcement could be made imminently"

https://strettynews.com/2023/07/06/...ource=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0085

Telsim

Would be some good scouting on the club's part, which is why I doubt it's true.

ThanksBoss26

Lots of permutations then of what our three keepers will look like next season then.

Would hazard a guess at Onana, Heaton & Suzuki if this is true.

De Gea, Henderson, Bishop and Kovar to potentially move on unless the latter impresses in pre season.

Teja

Why do we keep signing backup GKs every season? Atleast this one's young unlike guys like Butland, Valdes etc.

OleGunnar20

You may well be right. I think this used to be the norm but Chelsea seemed to buck the trend and get some quite high profile third choice keepers. Now it seems lots of teams are doing the same. In an ideal world, I think there's value in having at least 1 experienced backup though. If we had Onana, Suzuki and Bishop, let's say, and Onana got a big injury, I'd feel a bit wary unless Suzuki was instantly great.
Sure it's definitely a bit of a trade off. There's also the concern that you're stunting this guys development having him sit around on the bench for 90% of the year.

Man what I'd do to just have Romero there indefinitely, unaging. Guy was the perfect #2.

georgipep

I'm not sure if there's anything in this but if we did end up signing him, then I would presume he would go out on loan due to him still being 20. Having a 20 year old as backup isn't going to be good for his development unless the plan was to actually give him minutes in the cup competitions. I think a more established keeper with experience will be brought in as back up.

We are keeping Heaton. I think he'll be #2.

Chairman Woodie

Story seems to have spread like wildfire throughout the day. Still, no reliable sources though. It would be strange if it's just a rumour.

Watching clips of Suzuki on YouTube I can understand why he could be on United's radar.

Wrecking ralf

He looks so similar to Onana in style. Would really make sense to bring Zion in and have him learn from him. With any luck they’ll both be signed soon and can get a game on pre season

city-puma

If this is true then I feel he'll be loaned out for a few years. He's eligible to represent Japan, USA and Ghana.

The thread below is from last year.

The tweet below since being linked to Man Utd.

Worth dreaming for us!

bringbackbebe

Suzuki is not top class but is extremely reliable and does the job when called upon without show or pomp. This may not be a flashy purchase but eventual resale value and low maintenance cost will prove otherwise. The burden on the wage bill will also be lower since Suzuki doesn't guzzle gas.

In Rainbows

His Japanese Club also sport United's kit colors. Cool to be going from Urawa to United.

Status
Not open for further replies.