Zlatan Ibrahimović

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybomb

We won't play a front two with these two similar players.

If he does come back, it'll be in January to make one last push for the league and try to get him that Champions League medal if we're still in it.

AndyJ1985

If he does come back, it'll be in January to make one last push for the league and try to get him that Champions League medal if we're still in it.
More chance of him becoming an astronaut than winning the CL with us.

prtk0811

It all depends on the draw. If we avoid Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juve, I think we can take them in the final.
I am sure we will also be the one those are keen to avoid, and we will reach that level.

mayonnaise

No brainer re-sign him a soon as he's fit to play, his presence in the dressing room is worth it alone.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
If Zlatan does return then we have no option but to play him in a front 2 with Lukaku because he won't accept a bench role. I think it could be a deadly partnership, similar to Zlatan with Cavani at PSG but the service from out wide has to improve otherwise it won't matter whether Zlatan is playing or not.
PSG with Zlatan and Cavani played 433 with Cavani on the right. It worked because Cavani was willing to sacrifice (knowing Zlatan wouldn't be here forever), he's a team player and a workhorse. Zlatan and Lukaku dont fit that profile.

Klopp_De_Klown

PSG with Zlatan and Cavani played 433 with Cavani on the right. It worked because Cavani was willing to sacrifice (knowing Zlatan wouldn't be here forever), he's a team player and a workhorse. Zlatan and Lukaku dont fit that profile.
Stop please.

Anders80

All these complaints about Zlatan. Lukaku was utterly useless against Real Madrid showing very low intelligence for the game. Zlatan's intelligence for the game outshines any of his team mates which often aren't picking up on his plays. I suppose that comes with someone who has played in so many top clubs for so long. I find it astonishing not to want someone with that kind of experience in your team. I feel like Zlatan has been getting way more negative comments than he deserves since he got here.

Klopp_De_Klown

Stop what? You think you can play both of them in a front 2? Or that either of them can play on the side?
I see no reason why they cant play up top together. They are both completely different slyles of striker. And I assure you this if Jose signs Zlatan it wont be to sit him or a £75M player on the bench. He will be looking to dovetail them. There is no point playing Lukaku in the tight he needs to run use his pace and power. On the flipside Zlatan is comfortable in the tight with his back to goal.

About the only thing they have in common is there size and potential in the air. Zlatan will as usual come deep for the ball and Lukaku will/should look for it into space either off Zlatan or into the hole Zlatan will have created by dropping deep.

The real question is if Zlatan comes what happens to Rashford and Tony M

chb23

I think what he adds the most is the winners mentality. He's a winner.

Not sure about footballing ability in THIS team. He would be great for some other teams. We need runners and he isn't one.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Well, that was also the fatigue factor. His minutes needed better management, and that's even more essential now. Some matches he should start, some matches he should be a substitute option.

There is a general perception that Zlatan won't accept a slightly less significant role. He definitely wouldn't have a few years ago. Today however, considering his age and injury, it might be the only way and it's possible that he feels the same way.
And exactly becaus he's coming back from a severe, long term injury, it does not make sense from a football point of view. Especially if people want Lukaku to remain our main man.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He should play because he's 21? How about performing to a standard that means he warrants a place? That is how it should be.
Martial showed in his first season that he's a top talent. He had a poor 2nd season but so do many young talents. He showed promise in pre-season so let's see if he's good enough to get his place back. But we need to be willing to invest in our young players if we want to keep that philosophy at our club

Gasolin

I see no reason why they cant play up top together. They are both completely different slyles of striker. And I assure you this if Jose signs Zlatan it wont be to sit him or a £75M player on the bench. He will be looking to dovetail them. There is no point playing Lukaku in the tight he needs to run use his pace and power. On the flipside Zlatan is comfortable in the tight with his back to goal.

About the only thing they have in common is there size and potential in the air. Zlatan will as usual come deep for the ball and Lukaku will/should look for it into space either off Zlatan or into the hole Zlatan will have created by dropping deep.

Maybe Herrera goes out and JM goes only with Pogba / Matic and Zlatan in front as a sort of shadow striker / AM. Rashford and Martial can play both wings, or Mkhitaryan / Lingard can help... people are right, Zlatan and Lukaku altogether is gonna be complicated to handle.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This news just doesn't do it for me, in fact it annoys me. Why bother with an old player coming straight out of rehab for a other half a season.

I'm assuming Jose would want to play him every games 90 minutes. Should frankly just move on and think about other things.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
We wouldn't be exploring other opportunities in January. He would literally be a bonus signing, that's it. If he's not good enough, he won't play. Simple.
That's where you're wrong. He'll play regardless of his form which is what worries me. He'll just further push players who actually need playing in order to help us.

Zlatan being Zlatan and Jose being Jose means he'll play regardless of form more times(if not all the time) than not which I find detrimental.

Klopp_De_Klown

Maybe Herrera goes out and JM goes only with Pogba / Matic and Zlatan in front as a sort of shadow striker / AM. Rashford and Martial can play both wings, or Mkhitaryan / Lingard can help... people are right, Zlatan and Lukaku altogether is gonna be complicated to handle.
You right it will be complicated

If they can get it to click... I'd hate to mark them 2 lumps, could be very good. But its a big IF!

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes

I dont really agree that they can be effective playing together most of the time (given that Zlatan needs to start and Lukaku too given his price tag) but that's your opinion and I respect it. That being said, having 2 good finishers upfront requires a lot of creativity from the midfield and wings to create chances for them and I think that's an area where Man Utd is lacking.

Reactions: Alex99

Dobbs

The problem was structuring the team around a striker that won't be here for long.

Now we have Lukaku as our No.9, a guy who'll be here when we hopefully get back to the top, it doesn't matter if Ibra stays or goes. If he stays we've got another option. If he doesn't play again it's no big loss(we're only getting 6 months anyway and who knows how he'll be).

Obviously we have those posters who are such big fans they think he'll play with Lukaku. Zero chance of that.

Klopp_De_Klown

I dont really agree that they can be effective playing together most of the time (given that Zlatan needs to start and Lukaku too given his price tag) but that's your opinion and I respect it. That being said, having 2 good finishers upfront requires a lot of creativity from the midfield and wings to create chances for them and I think that's an area where Man Utd is lacking.
Well thats not entirely true, 1 upfront demands way more creativity than 2 strikers.

The movement of 2 up top alone creates space dragging defensers out of position. And once there is space it only requies simple passes and off the ball running to exploit it. Whats more its not like we dont have the quality of player to exploit it too with Pogba Mata Mhki or Herrera who against chelsea and spurs proved how simple it is if you have space to play into.

Compared to one up front, 2 is a way easier game in attack.

They are in the slightest bit similar, what have you been watching @Jaybomb?

One is very intelligent, has no real pace but amazing vision and likes to drop deep and link play. The other likes to play on the shoulder, is rapid, loves working the channels.

If similar means "they are both strong and strikers", well yes, but I'm not sure that's what you were getting at.

Mcking

We need to focus on signing a left wing player(LB or LW) that can cross the ball before thinking about resigning Zlatan to make it work in a 352 or 442. IMO, playing with two out and out strikers without someone to put the ball in the box is kind of pointless.

Jaybomb

They are in the slightest bit similar, what have you been watching @Jaybomb?

One is very intelligent, has no real pace but amazing vision and likes to drop deep and link play. The other likes to play on the shoulder, is rapid, loves working the channels.

If similar means "they are both strong and strikers", well yes, but I'm not sure that's what you were getting at.
They're both target men.

fallengt

It all depends on the draw. If we avoid Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juve, I think we can take them in the final.
No we wouldn't. Best chance to win those clubs are in two legs setup.

Under dog team rarely won in the final.

AndyJ1985

Bringing him back as a backup striker is great news. Massive personality to have in the dressing room and a great option to have if/when Lukaku gets injured/tired.

Andersons Dietician

If true I hope he doesn't harm the harmony and comeradatory that looks like it is there right now. Feel like a lot of players were in aw of him last season and scared.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If he's okay with not being in the starting 11 (which he should be as he is 35 and tore his acl), then it would be a great boost for the 2nd half of the season. Could you ask for a better back up striker?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I suspected Zlatan would be back but I did not expect it would be this side of Xmas. I'll be pleased to have him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.