g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan Ibrahimovic Transfer Speculation

Classical Mechanic

There was a Swedish journalist that had covered Zlatan's career on BBC Radio 4 this morning saying these stories are accurate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-agent-talks-up-napoli-transfer-a7558611.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/zlatan-ibrahimovic-stalls-extending-man-9913275

At the end of he interview he also said 'his value has gone up this season and he knows his value' which I interpreted as him wanting a pay rise to stay.

At this point in time he is in a very strong negotiating position so I expect him to improve the terms on the pre-agreed extension and stay.

He'll stay I think, although 40 goals & a European final at his national arena to bow out on must also be tempting for his "legend".

I'm not worried, he'll stay for another season as Mourinho will convince him he has a final CL shot here. And if he does decide to leave, well we knew we'd have to replace him soon anyway so Mourinho will definitely have replacements in mind. It was never a long term signing.

InfiniteBoredom

Understandable that he'd want a last shot at the CL. Albeit, I wouldn't be averse to losing him next year if Griezmann comes.

Classical Mechanic

Understandable that he'd want a last shot at the CL. Albeit, I wouldn't be averse to losing him next year if Griezmann comes.
It will be hard to directly replace him but with Greizmann and another Mourinho style 9 (Lukaku?) he could be replaced in terms of goals over a season.

The concern is if Greizmann would join if we fail to qualify for the CL and lose Ibra.

vodrake

Doesn't his contract has a 1 year extention the Club can trigger when they want? That's what mourinho said.

How can he be looking for a payrise/stalling on an extra year deal?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This smacks of posturing by Raiola and Ibrahimović for a longer deal than simple 1 year rolling extensions - where the club has all the power and he can be cut and sent to pasture on short notice. He knows full well that this is his last stint at a club that might reach the very top in the near future, so he'll want a greater show of faith than - 'ok Zlatan, we need you now, but as soon as we figure out a longer term solution, we'll send you packing'. On some level, the lack of a European Cup must really sting his ego, and he knows that might not come next season for United, or even in the season after that.

And now he has great leverage on the basis of his productivity - as opposed to last season because no other elite club would've realistically taken a chance on him for a prominent role in the XI at this stage of his career. Zlatan doesn't want to spend the last couple years of his career at Napoli unless he's forced to, IMO - it's a red herring because his signing would rip their wage structure to shreds. And definitely not some glue factory like China or the MLS, unless it's a last resort.

Probably wants a 3 year contract with a provisional clause wherein he can retire upon winning the European Cup or atleast the Premier League - that's his ideal final signature move à la Cantona. Mourinho's bit about Zlatan deciding when he wants to retire on his terms (like Maldini and Zanetti in the past) kinda alludes to that, too.

Classical Mechanic

Doesn't his contract has a 1 year extention the Club can trigger when they want? That's what mourinho said.

How can he be looking for a payrise/stalling on an extra year deal?
This is Raiola. Mourinho always says that he doesn't keep unhappy players so they could request a transfer and kick up a fuss.

I would expect the negotiations to be for a two year extension on better terms that Raiola will say Zlatan 'deserves'.

At the moment they are in a great negotiating position.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
This smacks of posturing by Raiola and Ibrahimović for a longer deal than simple 1 year rolling extensions - where the club has all the power and he can be cut and sent to pasture on short notice. He knows full well that this is his last stint at a club that might reach the very top in the near future, so he'll want a greater show of faith than - 'ok Zlatan, we need you now, but as soon as we figure out a longer term solution, we'll send you packing'. On some level, the lack of a European Cup must really sting his ego, and he knows that might not come next season for United, or even in the season after that.

And now he has great leverage on the basis of his productivity - as opposed to last season because no other elite club would've realistically taken a chance on him for a promine nt role in the XI at this stage of his career. Zlatan doesn't want to spend the last couple years of his career at Napoli unless he's forced to, IMO - it's a red herring because his signing would rip their wage structure to shreds. And definitely not some glue factory like China or the MLS, unless it's a last resort.

Probably wants a 3 year contract with a provisional clause wherein he can retire upon winning the European Cup or atleast the Premier League - that's his ideal final signature move à la Cantona. Mourinho's bit about Zlatan deciding when he wants to retire on his terms (like Maldini and Zanetti in the past) kinda alludes to that, too.
If I were United, I'd give him that deal. We can still plan for the future and in season to come we could rotate if he was happy with that to keep him fresh. There is always a risk but his history of few injuries and his attitude is priceless. We should have done the same with teddy perhaps.

Classical Mechanic

If I were United, I'd give him that deal. We can still plan for the future and in season to come we could rotate if he was happy with that to keep him fresh. There is always a risk but his history of few injuries and his attitude is priceless. We should have done the same with teddy perhaps.
Pretty sure that is what will happen.

Certainly, ridiculous what we did with Teddy.

ti vu

If he can win us the Europa League, the Chelski FA cup tie (we can take it from there) and shoot us to second in the PL I'd give him anything his greedy fecking cnut of a manager wants!
:eek:

You meant agent right?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think he will want to give it a shot in the Champions League next season if we make it. If we don't make it, he will leave at the end of season and either go to Napoli or just move to the US.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's clearly happy and in a very good place right now. I don't see him leaving here without a proper shot at the league and hopefully Europe.

El Zoido

He's clearly waiting to see where we finish before making a decision. Can't say I blame him either.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Just why the hell would he leave man utd and the biggest club in the world for some south Italian junk town and garbage arena with a non ambitious board? This is made up by ridiculous dreamers who are more interested in a good story than the football. Shoot yourself in the head please.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Ummmm, don't we have a policy of giving rolling 1 year contracts to older players? Why should we break that for Ibra? We have suffered enough by giving long term contracts to Rooney/Fellaini anyway.

Decomposing In Paris

Ummmm, don't we have a policy of giving rolling 1 year contracts to older players? Why should we break that for Ibra? We have suffered enough by giving long term contracts to Rooney/Fellaini anyway.
Why is Fellaini included in this list? He's not a great player, but he is a dedicated, and useful, professional. Moyes came in and gave a huge contract to Rooney when SAF was clearly trying to sell at the right moment. Nani barely played despite signing a 5 year deal. The issue here isn't a 2/3 year contract for an incredible centre forward, it's the 6 year contract we gave Moyes.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Why is Fellaini included in this list? He's not a great player, but he is a dedicated, and useful, professional. Moyes came in and gave a huge contract to Rooney when SAF was clearly trying to sell at the right moment. Nani barely played despite signing a 5 year deal. The issue here isn't a 2/3 year contract for an incredible centre forward, it's the 6 year contract we gave Moyes.
Ummmm, I doubt if Fellaini is useful.

The issue is about the club structure. Carrick is playing on a rolling contract, isn't he? Scholes, Giggs, Evra, Neville, Rio played the same way. At the end of the day, why should we give a 3 year contract to a 35 year old forward? What if he stops knocking in next season?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It would be a mistake to give him a 3 year contract. One serious injury and it's all over at his age.

We should offer him a one year extension, with a pay rise, and a guaranteed year extension if he plays x number of games.

Decomposing In Paris

Ummmm, I doubt if Fellaini is useful.

The issue is about the club structure. Carrick is playing on a rolling contract, isn't he? Scholes, Giggs, Evra, Neville, Rio played the same way. At the end of the day, why should we give a 3 year contract to a 35 year old forward? What if he stops knocking in next season?
Seem to remember Giggs holding out for, and getting a two year deal. What about two years with the option for a third?

26 goals (hardly all from penalties either).
9 more than Costa
4 more than Kane
5 more than Aguero
6 more than Sanchez
More than Mane (12) & Origi (11) combined...

We need to keep this guy.

RedMaestro

I read today that he said that he's happy to be at this club and been so since his arrival. He got a question about CL and Ibra said that he already came to Manchester United without CL and he doesn't need it and someone made that all up.

He's also said that he wants to quit on top and will only play as long as he has something to offer (deliver). He wants to bring back the club to where it belongs.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Agent wanting extra money. He looks like he's enjoying being with you guys and proving the premier league wrong. I think you'll get another season out of him. Atm looks like he can play top level football till he's 40.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Agent wanting extra money. He looks like he's enjoying being with you guys and proving the premier league wrong. I think you'll get another season out of him. Atm looks like he can play top level football till he's 40.
His fitness is incredible, I genuinely thought he'd struggle, moving from ligue 1 to the prem at his age, he's completely proved me wrong.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
If he wants to leave at the end of the season then fair enough; he's been brilliant for us, and it's been a joy having him here, but if he wants to try going somewhere else then I'll wish him well - this isn't a Ronaldo situation, and it certainly isn't a di Maria situation. Hopefully he stays an extra season (I think he will), but we'll move on if he doesn't.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

And now he has great leverage on the basis of his productivity - as opposed to last season because no other elite club would've realistically taken a chance on him for a prominent role in the XI at this stage of his career. Zlatan doesn't want to spend the last couple years of his career at Napoli unless he's forced to, IMO - it's a red herring because his signing would rip their wage structure to shreds. And definitely not some glue factory like China or the MLS, unless it's a last resort.

3 year is a long time. 2 year seems reasonable given his prowess this season.

cyberman

He's going nowhere. He came to us with no CL football so why should it now be a dealbreaker?
He's milking the moment.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he were to go to Napoli it would be for non footballing reasons. They've got zero chances in the CL. It's an infinitely smaller platform and he's found here something that could elevate him. A sleeping giant he can be instrumental in resurrecting. Maybe if his family is truly desperate to live in Italy and can't wait for a year or two (which would be surprising) then I guess there is something to this.

I'd be very surprised if he were to leave. Unless we lose every game from now until the end of the season.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Good post, I think it's posturing too. He wants a longer contract and a better deal than he's on currently. Key is Mourinho being calm about the situation, he's repeated time and time again he's convinced that Ibra will stay so I'm confident we'll find a solution. I think it'll be a 2 year deal than a 3 year though.

Ixion

It must be hugely satisfying for him to be asked if he'll stay and not will/do United want to keep him. I'm sure that plays into his answers.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
He isn't going to leave. He will be here next year and we will be in the champions league anyway so he will be happy to stay. Hopefully it can be a special last year for him and the club.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not a chance he leaves. We are building something big here and this is exactly where he wants to be. If anything, this will result in a pay rise from 220 to 300 a week for his remaining time here, which will be peanuts since we have just offloaded Schneiderlin and Memphis and will probably ditch Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Young, Januzaj and others this summer for a collective 710k/wk. We are basically just rebalancing our wages to something rational and Ibra should justifiably be our biggest earner.