g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan Ibrahimovic Transfer Speculation

Fracture90

You are right. Check the edit in the previous post.

Though, I think this part makes it complicated:

"The second year goes automatic after one - so that is no word from me or no word from them. It goes automatic after certain things so if it continues like this, yes."
Yeah sorry haven't seen the edited part, was writting :)

So it was probably automatic conditional clause or something like that? Than I guess the important question is whether or not he's meet those conditions.

Fracture90

You have this wrong @Fracture90, the plus one is usually one-sided in the club's favour.
Maybe. Yeah like I was saying in one of my previous comments, it makes sense that the club is the one to initiate the offer for extention but what's interesting is that club was waiting for Zlatan's response and he was fence sitting with CL football not being guaranteed next season.

That tells me club has the option to extend him but both parties need to agree, which makes the most sense in this case.

Sparky10Legend

Not like back in the day when players earned 3k per week etc.

Zlat is set for life long ago, if he had any integrity he would leave the deal unsigned now (bearing in mind he was clearly undecided anyway).

Would leave a really sour taste in the mouth if we got mugged off

togg

I genuinely think Zlatan will not take up the option now. He certainly does not need the money and thinking about his personality I just don't think he's the type to take huge sums of money when he isn't a part of things or being the leading guy. Just don't think it will sit well with him regadless of what his agent says. However, he may well ask if he can stay at the club to recover, using the clubs facilities and medical team to enable his recovery and that we should do with open arms since he pretty much single handedly won us a cup this season...amongst other things.

Mike09

I believe we still need to take responsibility for his injury even if he's running out of his contact. He got his injury when he was playing for us. Anyway, I don't know how a football club works in this kind of situation. But best of luck for his recovery.

Man-United

I believe we still need to take responsibility for his injury even if he's running out of his contact. He got his injury when he was playing for us. Anyway, I don't know how a football club works in this kind of situation. But best of luck for his recovery.
I would still think Jose wants him next year, he's such a massive fan of him. But I'm not sure Zlatan will feel he can give us anything, if he think he can't help the team he won't sign the deal as he can get the massive money from LA who surely wants him anyway when he's back and in MLS he should be great even as a 36-37 year old if the return goes ok.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Really? Don't we sign players on four years + an year extension. Can those players deny the extension?
Depends on the contract

Option could be among the lines off player X agrees to play for United for 4 years for this specified salary and at the end of the 4th year United can decide if they want to extend this deal for a further year at the same conditions.

But the last part could also specify it is the player who can extend for another year and not United or it could specify that both parties need to agree on the extension.

This is all possible and depends on what contract we signed and Zlatan signed.

I'd think it would be absolutley ridiculous for us to sign a contract where the player can decide on his own if he want to stay or not. The club having the option would make sense as we would be giving ourselves the choice to extend for another year if we are content with the player. The option that both parties need to agree seems plausible aswell to me as neither can hold the other one hostage that way.

I seriously doubt United would be stupid enough to sign a contract that would let a player hold them hostage. It is exactly for situations like this special clauses etc are added to contracts so I'am quite certain United will have the option not to extend if they don't want to. Player being out for 12 months is a valid reason for that no doubt.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I would still think Jose wants him next year, he's such a massive fan of him. But I'm not sure Zlatan will feel he can give us anything, if he think he can't help the team he won't sign the deal as he can get the massive money from LA who surely wants him anyway when he's back and in MLS he should be great even as a 36-37 year old if the return goes ok.
I doubt it is Mourinho who signs the contracts of our players and I doubt he will have the last word in these sort of things.

If United have the option not give him another year than they simply will not give him another year, the player is injurred for 12 months, it would be absolutley stupid to give him a contract under those conditions. If Mourinho would advocate otherwise I think he will be overuled by Woodward in this situation.

joedirt87

It's probably best for both parties if he doesn't sign the extension given the length of injury. His recovery time also lines up really well with the start of the MLS. He could sign on for another year and depending on the situation (form of the team, players brought in during the summer, etc) just let him transfer to the MLS like Bastian did.

Dion

I doubt it is Mourinho who signs the contracts of our players and I doubt he will have the last word in these sort of things.

If United have the option not give him another year than they simply will not give him another year, the player is injurred for 12 months, it would be absolutley stupid to give him a contract under those conditions. If Mourinho would advocate otherwise I think he will be overuled by Woodward in this situation.
If Woodward ever over-ruled Mourinho we'd be looking for a new manager within the quarter. If Mourinho wants to offer him a contract on reduced wages Ibra will get a contract.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If Woodward ever over-ruled Mourinho we'd be looking for a new manager within the quarter. If Mourinho wants to offer him a contract on reduced wages Ibra will get a contract.
Woody give plenty of space for Mou. However, he's still bound to give explanations to the owners. He wont be able to convince them a 35 year old, whose knee is busted a 1 year contract. The Glazers aren't that stupid

sunama

Baghdad Bob
MUFC need to assess whether or not Ibra is realistically going to come back from this injury and the time frame we are looking at.
If he can recover and start training in 6 months, then I'd keep him. But if it will take a year or more, I doubt we shall see him in a MUFC shirt again.
It's a shame because I wanted him phased out slowly during the course of next year, as our other attackers step up and start shouldering the responsibility, but it looks like this won't happen now.
Rashford (this season at least), will need to lead our line, until we buy 1-2 top quality attackers next season, to take the responsibility of leading our attack.
I really do think it's unfair on a teenager to be forced into this position, but that is what has happened, unfortunately.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Correct.
We have brought in arguably the best manager in the World. Why on Earth would CEO, who knows little about footballing matters overrule Jose's decision?
I mean, when it comes to making a deal with a Chinese noodle company, I wouldn't expect Jose to overrule Woodward, so why would Woodward overrule Jose on footballing matters?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So should he stay or go? Initially I wanted him gone but last night he reminded us what a winner he is. The guy is simply obsessed with trophies. If he is back by October and his ego allows him to be an impact player rather than a regular starter then I'm all for keeping him. Hopefully he'll be determined to tick both PL and CL off his bucket list.

BarstoolProphet

I have been thinking for a while that this is a good chance for the club to gain tons of positive PR by offering him a new contract, but last night made me even more sure that he's such an highly important figure in the dressing room also. He creates so much good exposure for us and gives everyone of us tons of laughs. He was a very good player before his injury and considering he's a freak of nature he will probably be a very good player when he returns also, so I no doubt want him to stay.

ice-bionic red

Wouldn't mind if he stays 1 more season. Although I would like Jose to bring him off in games and even not select him at all for others. Doesn't make sense to play every minute of every game

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
According to sky italia he said he will be back playing in a matter of weeks but he didn't say where.

Decomposing In Paris

In his time here I've come to believe that his "arrogance" is just the extreme application of his self-belief.

I just don't believe he will make demands about starting every game upon his return, and there's no debate about him starting the season up front, as the main man (because he won't be fit).

Between Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, and Greizmann; we have everything you could need in a strike force.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
According to sky italia he said he will be back playing in a matter of weeks but he didn't say where.
It would be amazing if he was fit for the start of next season, still dont see it happening personally (not if the injury was as bad as speculated)

TBH he could not be fit till March and I'd still want him to stay, he's the type that could make a telling contribution in the run in

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he were to leave I wonder who will be our number 9, assuming Griezmann wont be signed to play up top.

Certainly hope its not Rashford.

RU Devil

It would be amazing if he was fit for the start of next season, still dont see it happening personally (not if the injury was as bad as speculated)

TBH he could not be fit till March and I'd still want him to stay, he's the type that could make a telling contribution in the run in
A bit like his countryman, Henrik Larsson. Only a few games for us, but he definitely was worth it. I don't doubt Zlatan would be worth a punt. It will definitely be interesting if he stays. Larsson earned a PL winners medal, despite not making the required number of appearances.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Would like him to stay as a squad player next year. If anything the injury might dampen his expectations and we can sell the idea of competing for the CL for him, occasional starter, coming off the bench. I reckon he might be up for it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If he were to leave I wonder who will be our number 9, assuming Griezmann wont be signed to play up top.

Certainly hope its not Rashford.
Rashford I hope

Sterling Archer

We made it to the EL final in big part thanks to him being part of the team. It'd be extremely valuable to have him available in the back end of next season