g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan Ibrahimovic Transfer Speculation

Dobbs

You're right if there is a striker right now that would fit in? Is there a 'perfect' striker for this team out there and available this summer? If not, then why rush it? But if the 'perfect' one is available this summer then you're right and he should come and there's no point in postponing.

Who do you think would be the best choice? Would your choice be the same even if every striker out there was available? For me, it's really difficult to decide.
Yeah it's difficult to decide but that'll be the case in a year when we know Ibra will be on his way. This perfect, blatantly obvious striker isn't going to come out of the ether between now and summer 2018. I'm not sure if Lukaku is the answer but if we don't act this summer that's one big possibility gone.

Why rush it? Well I'd like to get on with creating the team that's gets us back to the very top and we know that won't involve Ibra. Next season it'll take some time for the new recruits to get used to playing with Ibra. A couple of months maybe. Then he leaves and we have to go through that process again. Wouldn't you rather have a settled lineup that can grow together? This conveyor belt of strikers, RVP, Falcao, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Ibra, the new guy, at some point you need consistency.

Again, no other big club would find themselves waiting on the decision of a 35 year old whose only been at the club for a season. Not in such a crucial position like the No.9 spot anyway.

RedMaestro

Yeah it's difficult to decide but that'll be the case in a year when we know Ibra will be on his way. This perfect, blatantly obvious striker isn't going to come out of the ether between now and summer 2018. I'm not sure if Lukaku is the answer but if we don't act this summer that's one big possibility gone.

Why rush it? Well I'd like to get on with creating the team that's gets us back to the very top and we know that won't involve Ibra. Next season it'll take some time for the new recruits to get used to playing with Ibra. A couple of months maybe. Then he leaves and we have to go through that process again. Wouldn't you rather have a settled lineup that can grow together? This conveyor belt of strikers, RVP, Falcao, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Ibra, the new guy, at some point you need consistency.

Again, no other big club would find themselves waiting on the decision of a 35 year old whose only been at the club for a season. Not in such a crucial position like the No.9 spot anyway.
You're right in everything you say, I would love it if the lineup was 'settled'. I would assume that if Mourinho keeps Ibrahimovic, he's searching for a striker that shares a lot of similarities with him. Therefore there won't be much trouble for the new striker working well with the others from the start.

But if you think about it, there's going to be a lot of 'questionmarks' in the lineup these coming seasons. The goalkeeper might change (de Gea to RM?), the right back will clearly change in 2 seasons (Valencia isn't that young either), the LB position is the 'achilles heel' of the team (not sure if Shaw is in Mourinho's plans), a new CB might come (as good as Rojo has been this season, Mourinho will likely search for a strong leader), a new CM (to help Pogba), at least 1 winger (but that depends on what sort of tactics will be used - Martial is having problems and it's not certain that he'll 'bounce back' next season), a secondary striker (there's the need for a goalscorer besides the #9) and then there's the striker (Ibra won't stay here forever, so Mourinho will look for a replacement).

So there are a couple of positions that's going to need investing in the next couple of seasons. And I'm not sure in what order it's best to go. I still hope Ibrahimovic stays for 1 more season. Sure he's been inconsistent in his overall play but the offensive play hasn't worked well at all and who knows, maybe the right reinforcements will make Ibrahimovic's play better?

I don't know, I just don't like the alternatives, but I trust Mourinho in this area. So what ever happens, it's going to be good.

Ashley R1+O

We'd be just as shite if you did a straight swap for Kane or Lukaku in Zlatan's role @Ashley R1+O. Our forward and his pace isn't the issue, it's the shiteness of our others attackers this season that has been the problem. Can't shoot, can't finish, can't dribble, can't find a killer pass/cross, none of which can be attributed to another player affecting them.
No, we wouldn't.

Robertd0803

Not saying that it would work every game or its the solution but the Chelsea game proved we can play a different shape when needed so I wouldn't be totally against a striker coming in that would involve a change of system. If Zlatan decides to move on then we will go with another plan/option instead.

Don't get me wrong he has been fantastic this season for us but I hope we don't end up making a balls of either our summer recruitment or formation/line up next season based on the idea of shoehorning a certain player in (doesn't matter who for the record).

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Daily Fail say £5m a season and option to loan back to us for half a year.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They can have him full time. What's the point of us having him for half a season?

pacifictheme

They can have him full time. What's the point of us having him for half a season?
Agreed. That would be a disaster. Rely on him for four monyhs then we're fecked.

Ideally he would be off, but if he stays thrn it needs to be all season. I would sooner see him leave and be replaced though, despitr how good he has been. He will hit a wall physically at some point and the older he gets the more likely it is he will.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
He isn't going anywhere. Raiola is angling for a bigger pay package for his contract extension because he is virtually single-handedly carrying our team, potentially into the Champions League.

AgentP

Ibra probably feels it's time for a big final pay check and wants to move to MLS or some other team in a weaker league. But since he's never won the CL, he will stay one more year if we qualify just so that he can have one final shot at it. He knows that no other club that has a real chance at winning the CL would be looking to sign him anyway.

What the club needs to do is sign a top striker regardless of Ibra's decision. A 36 year old doesn't necessarily have to play all games and should be used effectively. The only reason for us not to sign a striker is if there's no one available that Jose really rates. Lukaku and Aubameyang seem to be the only top options. If Jose for some reason feels they are both not what we need, then maybe he'll not sign anyone. Players like Belotti, Mbappe, Andre Silva, etc need to do it for one more year for us to pay big money for them. We haven't been linked to Lacazette and Morata also.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ibra probably feels it's time for a big final pay check and wants to move to MLS or some other team in a weaker league. But since he's never won the CL, he will stay one more year if we qualify just so that he can have one final shot at it. He knows that no other club that has a real chance at winning the CL would be looking to sign him anyway.

What the club needs to do is sign a top striker regardless of Ibra's decision. A 36 year old doesn't necessarily have to play all games and should be used effectively. The only reason for us not to sign a striker is if there's no one available that Jose really rates. Lukaku and Aubameyang seem to be the only top options. If Jose for some reason feels they are both not what we need, then maybe he'll not sign anyone. Players like Belotti, Mbappe, Andre Silva, etc need to do it for one more year for us to pay big money for them. We haven't been linked to Lacazette and Morata also.
I can't see any team in America matching what we pay him. Contrary to popular belief, wages on offer in MLS aren't that high.

Red_toad

So if reports of him being out for 12 months are true. Where does he stand now, would anyone expect the club to give him another year that he won't play in, on 300k a week to recover from injury, then probably retire or leave once he's fit again?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So if reports of him being out for 12 months are true. Where does he stand now, would anyone expect the club to give him another year that he won't play in, on 300k a week to recover from injury, then probably retire or leave once he's fit again?
He's on 220k/wk now. My guess is the contract will run out and he will rehab the knee til next year, partly with us, and then we'll see were things stand around Christmas time. If on the other hand, we buy two players like Griezmann and Mbappe then there really won't be much room for him, at 36 and coming off a major injury.

BigCaine

The correct thing now atleast for me would be give him an year extension on lot less money, let him do ambassadorial work and let him use our facilities and doctors to get back to full fitness, after that he can be on his way and we ours.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I have similar questions.

First: It's Zlatan who has the option to extend the contract with us for an year, right?
Second: If yes, can he still extend it if the prognosis is that he'll be out for the entire next year? Or would we have protections that won't allow him to extend it in case of an unfortunate injury like this?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

First: It's Zlatan who has the option to extend the contract with us for an year, right?
Second: If yes, can he still extend it if the prognosis is that he'll be out for the entire next year? Or would we have protections that won't allow him to extend it in case of an unfortunate injury like this?
That's pretty terrible for us, if true.

Fracture90

That's pretty terrible for us, if true.
Yeah I don't believe any club would give any player that decision making power. It's always the club who has the option of extending the contract for another year and both parties need to agree ofc.

Classical Mechanic

Release him. We don't owe him anything. He was looking to leave the club anyway. As for his recovery he has his own fitness guru that travels with him so I don't see why he would need United's staff to look after him.

Raiola will be sick though, stalling on that contract extension is going to cost them millions.

itso 7

Release him. We don't owe him anything. He was looking to leave the club anyway. As for his recovery he has his own fitness guru that travels with him so I don't see why he would need United's staff to look after him.

Raiola will be sick though, stalling on that contract extension is going to cost them millions.
That would be the logical business decision but I think we will keep him albeit on seriously reduced wages to manage the optics. It wouldn't look good on us to release him injured, after the season he has had for us. Maybe he will retire because he faces a long and hard way back and for what? At best one season...

Red_toad

No the club have the right to activate the clause. It's not up to the player. He should have extended a few months ago, Jose wanted him to stay. But big wage and unable to play, would seem illogical for the club to extend, as he'll just about be free to leave and of an age where he's going to have a limited influence on the pitch.
Sad to say but he'll now certainly be replaced in the summer, if he's not going to be fully recovered in time for the new season.

Man-United

We will offer him to recover at the club. United are a class act when it comes to both ex players and current players. Then it's Zlatan's choice if he feel he has anything left after the injury. But Jose will give him every chance and when/if he's fit again decide then if we give him a 6 months deal from jan 2018 - until the end of season.

A lot can change over the next year, we might not even need him as we could have two new strikers + already Rashford and Martial. Or we could be in a situation again with a lot of football and injuries.

C'est Moi Cantona

We will offer him to recover at the club. United are a class act when it comes to both ex players and current players. Then it's Zlatan's choice if he feel he has anything left after the injury. But Jose will give him every chance and when/if he's fit again decide then if we give him a 6 months deal from jan 2018 - until the end of season.

A lot can change over the next year, we might not even need him as we could have two new strikers + already Rashford and Martial. Or we could be in a situation again with a lot of football and injuries.
If Zlatan is up for that then that would be the best option by far, it could be though that Zlatan wants to recover elsewhere in the world, and then if all goes to plan there is no question an American team will still give him the deal he seemingly was looking at for next season.

Fracture90

He could have signed that contract extension with us few months back, but he decided to wait it out and now the tables have turned we shouldn't be extending his contract for the sentimental reasons alone.

He is on 250K per week, same as Rooney, don't extend Zlatan but give him our facilities and medical staff to be at disposal, he's earned hundreds of millions of dollars in his career, he surely doesn't need our charity.

Sell Rooney as well and that's 500K per week free in our weekly salary space.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
No the club have the right to activate the clause. It's not up to the player. He should have extended a few months ago, Jose wanted him to stay. But big wage and unable to play, would seem illogical for the club to extend, as he'll just about be free to leave and of an age where he's going to have a limited influence on the pitch.
Sad to say but he'll now certainly be replaced in the summer, if he's not going to be fully recovered in time for the new season.
I don't think that's true. From what I remember it is Zlatan who has the option to extend the contract for another year, not us. If we had the option, we would have done it by now given his output this season.

Alabaster Codify7

I see no issue in releasing him. Look, Zlatan (or mostly, his agent I guess) has been dropping hints for monts now that unless we got CL football his client would not extend for a second year. Well, unfortunately, he no longer has a contract with us at the end of the season so we should show a similar level of ruthlessness. If he had made it clear he wanted to stay, then I'd feel bad for him in this situation but that isn't the case.

Fracture90

I don't think that's true. From what I remember it is Zlatan who has the option to extend the contract for another year, not us. If we had the option, we would have done it by now given his output this season.
No deal can be one sided, both parties need to agree.

He could have signed that contract extension with us few months back, but he decided to wait it out and now the tables have turned we shouldn't be extending his contract for the sentimental reasons alone.

He is on 250K per week, same as Rooney, don't extend Zlatan but give him our facilities and medical staff to be at disposal, he's earned hundreds of millions of dollars in his career, he surely doesn't need our charity.

Sell Rooney as well and that's 500K per week free in our weekly salary space.
It's make no sense in any situation to extend the current deal if he's got at least 9 months on the sidelines at his age, he's in prime physical condition because he's never had a long term injury & has always maintained that fitness. Coming back from this will be a monumental task.

As you say @Fracture90, for months he has had the chance to secure his future but chose to run the risk.

I'd be up for Zlatan staying around and rehabbing, but there is simply no chance that extension is being signed as is.

Fracture90

It's make no sense in any situation to extend the current deal if he's got at least 9 months on the sidelines at his age, he's in prime physical condition because he's never had a long term injury & has always maintained that fitness. Coming back from this will be a monumental task.

As you say @Fracture90, for months he has had the chance to secure his future but chose to run the risk.

I'd be up for Zlatan staying around and rehabbing, but there is simply no chance that extension is being signed as is.
Yeah, as I said he should be given (provided he's interested in doing his rehabilitation here) full access to our facilities and medical equipment/staff for his rehabilitation process. Even when he hopefully fully recovers he should be given the opportunity to train and work with our first team until he finds another club, but re-signing him out of sentiment alone isn't a good idea.

No deal or just in this case you mean?
I mean that no deal should be one sided, meaning only one party having a say in it.

Really? Don't we sign players on four years + an year extension. Can those players deny the extension?
That extension is if both parties agree to it, like that case with Fellaini earlier this season.

There are some different options to extend based on some requirements meet, like number of appearances, starts, goals, etc.

But signing a contract and than giving the player all power with club having no say in it is ridiculous and not beneficial for the club at all.

Oldyella

He has been given every opportunity to sign for a further year but wanted to see what else was around, hard to feel too bad for someone who gambles like that. Offer all out facilities and depending on how his recovery goes, a contract during next season.

All this assuming he even wants to continue, imagine moving to America for their next season might appeal, doesn't it start middle of our season so he might have longer to recover?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
That extension is if both parties agree to it, like that case with Fellaini earlier this season.

There are some different options to extend based on some requirements meet, like number of appearances, starts, goals, etc.

But signing a contract and than giving the player all power with club having no say in it is ridiculous and not beneficial for the club at all.
Again, I am not sure and will have the check. I think we retain the power to extend the contract for an year.

Also, will have to check the Zlatan contract details. Pretty confident the option was his.

Edit: Seems like you are right about Zlatan's contract.

Manchester United will take up the option to extend Zlatan Ibrahimovic's contract for a second season, manager Jose Mourinho has announced.

Ibrahimovic moved to Old Trafford on a free transfer after leaving Paris Saint-Germain in July and signed a one-year deal with the option of a further 12 months.

The 35-year-old Swede hinted on Monday that he could see himself "conquering" the United States, but United are now set to retain his services for the 2017/18 season by taking up that additional one-year option.

"Zlatan's situation is simple," said Mourinho ahead of United's Europa League meeting with Feyenoord on Thursday.

"He has one plus one. We are happy with him. We are going to execute the option of a second season. After that he can do what he wants."

He said: "For the moment we haven't had any discussions. I have a contract that says one plus one so I feel good, I feel fresh, I feel in shape and physically if I feel like now, probably it will be a second year.

"I want to be realistic with myself and if I'm here I want to be able to perform like I can do and not waste time. But like it is now, probably yes, but I need discussions we haven't had.

"The second year goes automatic after one - so that is no word from me or no word from them. It goes automatic after certain things so if it continues like this, yes."

Ibrahimovic has won 11 league titles in four countries and scored a record 62 goals in 116 appearances for Sweden before retiring from international football after his country's group-stage exit at Euro 2016.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ted-contract-to-be-extended-for-second-season

Last edited:

Fracture90

Again, I am not sure and will have the check. I think we retain the power to extend the contract for an year.

Also, will have to check the Zlatan contract details. Pretty confident the option was his.
I agree with the first part which only makes the 2nd part ever less likely.

If we signed a 1+1 contact with a 35 year old player it's only logical that w wouldn't give him the power to decide alone if he wants to stay here for another year without us having a say in it. That would make the club his hostage, literally.

It's only logical we signed that contract and 2nd year would be on our initiation with both parties having to agree on it. Besides talk was that the club has already offered him that extension but he was weighing his options, being reluctant to commit.

Last edited:

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I agree with the first part which only makes the 2nd part ever less likely.

If we signed a 1+1 contact with a 35 year old player it's only logical that w wouldn't give him the power to decide alone if he wants to stay here for another year without us having a say in it. That would make the club his hostage, literally.

It's only logical we signed that contract and 2nd year would be on our initiation with both parties having to agree on it. Besides talks was that the club has already offered him that extension but he was weighing his options, being reluctant to commit.
You are right. Check the edit in the previous post.

Though, I think this part makes it complicated:

"The second year goes automatic after one - so that is no word from me or no word from them. It goes automatic after certain things so if it continues like this, yes."