Zlatan Ibrahimovic Transfer Speculation

Dobbs

As has been said plenty, to give Rashford and Martial time
It'll have to be some turnaround from Martial. Right now he can't get in the team but you think in a year he'll be starting up front for us, challenging for the league and ECL?

Will Rashford be ready at 20/21 to do it? It'd be a first for us for somebody that young to lead the line.

Also they'll both have to make this meteoric rise whilst barely playing up front for two seasons ( this and next). Whilst at the same time we hope time doesn't catch up with Ibra.

Why bother relying on these very unlikely ifs and buts? We're one of the biggest clubs in the world. Just sort it out properly.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You think they'll be ready in 12 months to take over having seen the way it's gone this year?
Im saying that was the rationale last summer... its not that hard to understand.
Also Martial could well have a great season next season, I expected his dip this season.
As for Rashford he needs more time to develop.

Dobbs

Im saying that was the rationale last summer... its not that hard to understand.
Also Martial could well have a great season next season, I expected his dip this season.
As for Rashford he needs more time to develop.
I understand the argument, I'm just saying it's nonsense.

It didn't make sense last summer, now having seen this season pan out I'm amazed it's still being cited as a reason.

FattyFooty

My whole argument is that this will be the situation next summer as well. Zlatan is going to leave this year or next.

What is the point in delaying this decision?
Whats the point? We have at this point atleast 1 player that can score. Cant we try to hold on to him while we get more of those?

Why not do like all other good teams do? Keep there good players when possible and add good players when possible?

This team is a mess in attack, noone really knows how our young will become. Atleast Makh has looked like a beast from time to time. If we sell Zlatan we go into the season with what we have and 1 or 2 wildcards? Sounds good? No thats how i play my FUT 17.

Dobbs

Whats the point? We have at this point atleast 1 player that can score. Cant we try to hold on to him while we get more of those?

Why not do like all other good teams do? Keep there good players when possible and add good players when possible?

This team is a mess in attack, noone really knows how our young will become. Atleast Makh has looked like a beast from time to time. If we sell Zlatan we go into the season with what we have and 1 or 2 wildcards? Sounds good? No thats how i play my FUT 17.
We're talking about the No.9 position. We can still add other players regardless if we make a change there or not.

I don't know if Lukaku is the man or not but in principle what's the argument against signing him this summer and keeping Ibra?

Cassidy

We're talking about the No.9 position. We can still add other players regardless if we make a change there or not.

I don't know if Lukaku is the man or not but in principle what's the argument against signing him this summer and keeping Ibra?
There isn't one, but it wouldn't really improve the squad much either IMO
We need more attackers in addition. So if we get rid of Ibra then we need even more as well as reinforcing other areas.

I don't mind if we get rid of Ibra and get Lukaku btw I do mind if that is our only attacking transfer though

We need more attackers in addition. So if we get rid of Ibra then we need even more as well as reinforcing other areas.
Exactly!!

If we had Ronaldo , Rooney and a back-up striker that also had 16 goals in all comps in our squad I'd understand the idea. (Those 3 scored 36 goals in RVN's last season)

Dobbs

I don't mind if we get rid of Ibra and get Lukaku btw I do mind if that is our only attacking transfer though
I don't think there's a chance it will be.

Dobbs

Exactly!!

If we had Ronaldo , Rooney and a back-up striker that also had 16 goals in all comps in our squad I'd understand the idea. (Those 3 scored 36 goals in RVN's last season)
All you're doing is putting the situation on pause for another 12 months and hoping time doesn't catch up with Ibra. We won't have Ronaldo and Rooney this time next year either.

Cassidy

Big old circular argument this. Who sits on the bench Lukaku or Ibra? Neither. I think this conversation has run its course.
You'd be surprised.

RedMaestro

What's to say any player, no matter the age, will stay for about 10 seasons? I'm asking this because this seems to be the 'problem' concerning Ibrahimovic. He's old and won't stay for too long and is short term. There are never any guarentees that any player will be a long term option. Who knows, he might perform really well and then Real Madrid (or a similar club) would want to buy the player?

Isn't it good that Ibrahimovic is scoring this amount and will hopefully do so next season and maybe even the season after. Mourinho can look for the right replacement without rushing things.

Dobbs

No, but we might have Griezmann, a settled Miki and a more mature & improved Martial/Rashford.
It's possible but the same argument was made last summer. Rashford and Martial were supposed to be vastly improved at this stage, ready to take over. Hasn't worked out like that. You're banking on a massive improvement in my opinion.

I don't blame Zlatan at all, at this stage he's entitled to weigh up his options. He doesn't owe us a quick decision. However a club like United shouldn't in April be unsure if their No.9 whose only been here a season will stay on. If he's waiting to see if we get 4th this could go on till the end of the season.

It's possible but the same argument was made last summer. Rashford and Martial were supposed to be vastly improved at this stage, ready to take over. Hasn't worked out like that. You're banking on a massive improvement in my opinion.
But you have another year to work on them and you also have another chance now to bring in a player that will score 20 goals to support Zlatan.

The argument last summer was that Zlatan was too old & would just hold back Rashford & Martial, which hasn't been the case at all. If anything, their form has proved that bringing in Zlatan was essential.

You don't just let your top striker leave when your attack is a clusterfeck, you make the attack work first, then he can leave. Which, incidentally is EXACTLY what we did with RVN.

Dobbs

But you have another year to work on them and you also have another chance now to bring in a player that will score 20 goals to support Zlatan.

The argument last summer was that Zlatan was too old & would just hold back Rashford & Martial, which hasn't been the case at all. If anything, their form has proved that bringing in Zlatan was essential.

You don't just let your top striker leave when your attack is a clusterfeck, you make the attack work first, then he can leave. Which, incidentally is EXACTLY what we did with RVN.
When we let RvN go that summer Ronaldo got 12 that season, Giggs 5, Scholes 3, Rooney 19. We got knocked out group stage in ECL. It wasn't exactly working and was still a risk. I take your point though that it felt something was about to click which isn't the case right now.

That's not my argument though anyway. I don't think Zlatan leaving will magically transform the team.

My argument is that we're not deciding anything. Zlatan is going to make the decision and he'll do so when it suits. It's April and we don't know if we need to sign a new No.9 or not. You can't think this is a good position to be in?

Dobbs

And Saha 16!
Yep and Saha. Nobody got 20 goals though outside of RvN and we let him go. Don't forget we're going to replace Zlatan, not rely on players within the squad like we did then. It took some foresight from Fergie that.

None of that changes the situation with Zlatan though. We're going to have to sign a new No.9 this summer or next. Why not this summer and get on with building the team that gets us back to the very top.

Yep and Saha. Nobody got 20 goals though outside of RvN and we let him go. Don't forget we're going to replace Zlatan, not rely on players within the squad like we did then. It took some foresight from Fergie that.
Maybe, maybe not. If we make the right signings this summer we might rely on players from within the squad the following season.

Dobbs

Maybe, maybe not. If we make the right signings this summer we might rely on players from within the squad the following season.
You can't manage a club with such hypothetical possibilities.

My argument is that we're not deciding anything. Zlatan is going to make the decision and he'll do so when it suits. It's April and we don't know if we need to sign a new No.9 or not. Do you think this is a good position to be in?
What do you think?

You can't manage a club with such hypothetical possibilities.
That's exactly how you manage a club. You build best now with an eye on the future.

And right now we need more goalscorers, not less, once we have that we might be in a position to not need Zlatan, right now we most certainly are not.

But as you say, it's his decision, but if je does leave we need to replace him AND add goals. It's much easier to deal with one of those scenarios at a time.

RedMaestro

My argument is that we're not deciding anything. Zlatan is going to make the decision and he'll do so when it suits. It's April and we don't know if we need to sign a new No.9 or not. You can't think this is a good position to be in?
I'm pretty sure that both Mourinho and Ibrahimovic have talked about this and have already decided what to do. If the only 'problem' is CL then it's going to be decided 'automatically'. Besides, it's not like Mourinho doesn't know what strikers are out there - he'll replace Ibra with a well known striker and won't have to use scouts to find an unknown player. Since the transfer window is closed, it really doesn't matter if Ibrahimovic and Mourinho tells the media now or later what their decision is.

I trust Mourinho knows what's going to happen this summer, it's just that we don't know anything yet. :)

Dobbs

I'm pretty sure that both Mourinho and Ibrahimovic have talked about this and have already decided what to do. If the only 'problem' is CL then it's going to be decided 'automatically'. Besides, it's not like Mourinho doesn't know what strikers are out there - he'll replace Ibra with a well known striker and won't have to use scouts to find an unknown player. Since the transfer window is closed, it really doesn't matter if Ibrahimovic and Mourinho tells the media now or later what their decision is.

I trust Mourinho knows what's going to happen this summer, it's just that we don't know anything yet. :)
If it is ECL qualification dependant neither Zlatan or Jose know. We're not likely to know till the end of the season either. I don't see how anybody can think this is an ideal situation.

I've asked Regulus a couple of times but he seems reluctant to answer. What about you, are you happy with this situation of not knowing if we need to but a new No.9 for next season?

I've asked Regulus a couple of times but he seems reluctant to answer. What about you, are you happy with this situation of not knowing if we need to but a new No.9 for next season?
I'm not happy about it at all, as I think it would feck us over. We already desperately need to add a Griezmann type to the squad, our lack of goals & awful finishing proves that.

If Zlatan doesn't stay I'll be fuming as it'll mean another season of huge change. This summer I'd much prefer to see small changes, same manager, few departures, 3 incoming (forward, mid, defender)

RedMaestro

If it is ECL qualification dependant neither Zlatan or Jose know. We're not likely to know till the end of the season either. I don't see how anybody can think this is an ideal situation.

Well, yes and no. Since the striker position isn't the main 'problem' at the moment I'd rather prioritize in finding out what the improvements will be in other positions. Even if Ibrahimovic would make a 'shock' departure, then I'm pretty sure Mourinho already knows who to buy, no matter the cost, since #9 is a very important position in his tactics.

But it's like I said, we as fans, won't know anything. Mourinho and Ibrahimovic already know what's going to happen. If CL really is what's 'preventing' Ibra from signing the contract, then they have already talked about that and are just 'waiting' as a 'formality'. So if it's a CL-failure then he'll leave but this will also be something that Mourinho has already had in his plans. So whatever Ibrahimovic decides to do, Mourinho will know. For instance, his 'back-up' for Ibrahimovic is Belotti and he'll only buy him if Ibra will leave. He must already wait till the end of the season before he can buy players and Ibrahimovic is already going to know the situation of the club at the end of the season, so there is no problem. So if Ibra goes, Belotti comes. If Ibra stays, Belotti won't come.

Sure in an ideal World, it would be great if fans could know what the club is thinking. And I'm assuming they already know what's going to happen with the striker position. If not, then it's not very professional.

But the problem is that there is no need for a new #9. Mainly because Ibrahimovic is the best option. There isn't a better striker out there who is both available and willing to come. If for instance Lewandowski was available I would expect Mourinho to tell Ibra - if you want to be Lewas back-up, stay, or else, thank you for your service. But since better options are unavailable Mourinho 'has to wait' and the same goes for Ibrahimovic. He doesn't have better options either, he hopes the club qualifies for the CL and will invest in quality players. He'll only leave if he has to, no CL, could mean difficulties getting the 'right' players and if the team won't get stronger than this season he can't afford to 'risk' it, since he probably only has 2 season left as a pro.

The important thing for this summer and what I want is for Mourinho to invest in about 4-5 quality players. 1 World class CM, 1 World class goalscorer and 2-3 great players that can be starters, maybe LB, W, CB or another CM (much depending on if Pereira will get a chance or not).

So Ibrahimovic's position is the least of our problems at the moment and I find it hard to see how anyone else can't understand this. It's not like the team will be title winners by changing him for a different striker. It's not that simple. Now let's hope that Shaw and Martial can show that they've still got something to offer Mourinho. And that Mkhitaryan and Rashford can improve on this season with more goals. And please Pogba, no more hitting the woodwork... :)

I'm a bit tired, so hopefully I've made some sence and I've understood your question. Don't want to check what I've written, hope it's ok. :)

Dobbs

I'm not happy about it at all, as I think it would feck us over. We already desperately need to add a Griezmann type to the squad, our lack of goals & awful finishing proves that.

If Zlatan doesn't stay I'll be fuming as it'll mean another season of huge change. This summer I'd much prefer to see small changes, same manager, few departures, 3 incoming (forward, mid, defender)
That's the problem with short term signings and the main reason I was against Zlatan. Having to replace him after one season was always a possibility.

Personally I don't see much difference in sorting it all(a Griezmann + new No.9) this summer or splitting it over two. It's still a big upheaval either way.

In fact doing it all this summer could even be less disruptive. You get both players into the team and playing with each other quicker rather than staggering it.

Normally I'd completely agree with not selling your highest goalscorer but normally there isn't this huge caveat of him leaving in 12 months anyway attached.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's the problem with short term signings and the main reason I was against Zlatan. Having to replace him after one season was always a possibility.

Personally I don't see much difference in sorting it all(a Griezmann + new No.9) this summer or splitting it over two. It's still a big upheaval either way.

In fact doing it all this summer could even be less disruptive. You get both players into the team and playing with each other quicker rather than staggering it.

Normally I'd completely agree with not selling your highest goalscorer but normally there isn't this huge caveat of him leaving in 12 months anyway attached.
If Ibra is able to perform next season like he's done this season, we're not just speeding up a process of an inevitable striker change. We're losing a major character from the team. Someone the manager clearly trusts (and vice versa). We'd do well to hold onto Ibra for next season unless we have the one-time-only chance to sign a superstar striker, which seems extremely implausible.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
All you're doing is putting the situation on pause for another 12 months and hoping time doesn't catch up with Ibra. We won't have Ronaldo and Rooney this time next year either.
I doubt Ibra would stay if we signed Lukaku.

Dobbs

If Ibra is able to perform next season like he's done this season, we're not just speeding up a process of an inevitable striker change. We're losing a major character from the team. Someone the manager clearly trusts (and vice versa). We'd do well to hold onto Ibra for next season unless we have the one-time-only chance to sign a superstar striker, which seems extremely implausible.
What if we could get Lukaku this summer. Would you rather turn that down, keep hold of Ibra another year and go for whoever's available next summer?

I doubt Ibra would stay if we signed Lukaku.
I think you meant this for Cassidy.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's blind faith to think Martial or Rashford will step up and replace a huge amount of those Zlatan goals and do the job Mourinho wants from his target man.
Indeed.
Even Fergie would never rely on a 19 year old and 21 year old to score most of our goals.
If you think back to Fergie's golden years, he has always had at least one senior striker.
In the mid 90s we had Mark Hughes.
The golden years of Yorke/Cole - who were both in the mid-late 20s when they dominated.
Then we had RvN, who was in his mid-late 20s.
Then followed Ronaldo/Rooney, who were in the early 20s. Now this duo were an anomaly. Rooney had become a man by the age of 19 and Ronaldo would go on to become the best player in the World, so even at 22, he was better than most attackers, who were in the late 20s.
In Fergie's last season, he hired RvP. Again a striker in his prime.

Do we need Ibra? Hell yes, because Miki/Mata don't score enough and our other attackers are too young.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What if we could get Lukaku this summer. Would you rather turn that down, keep hold of Ibra another year and go for whoever's available next summer?
I don't think we can do everything at once and there are positions that need addressing. We need a top class midfielder to afford Pogba the space to play his game. We need a leader-type centre back. We might need a left back. And we will certainly go for a dynamic attacking player who can add another dimension to our game, Griezmann (or similar). That's huge outlay. Lukaku at 70m + 3-5 other players to improve not only the squad but the first 11.

This might all be very academic if Chelsea want him they'll probably get him. And I agree, I can't really see Lukaku and Ibra being in the same side happy to divide playing time. And we're unlikely to go for an extremely attacking 442 with the pair of them (and another forward playing left wing in Martial/Rashford).

Dobbs

I don't think we can do everything at once and there are positions that need addressing. We need a top class midfielder to afford Pogba the space to play his game. We need a leader-type centre back. We might need a left back. And we will certainly go for a dynamic attacking player who can add another dimension to our game, Griezmann (or similar). That's huge outlay. Lukaku at 70m + 3-5 other players to improve not only the squad but the first 11.

This might all be very academic if Chelsea want him they'll probably get him. And I agree, I can't really see Lukaku and Ibra being in the same side happy to divide playing time. And we're unlikely to go for an extremely attacking 442 with the pair of them (and another forward playing left wing in Martial/Rashford).
Again I'd agree except we know we're going to have to spend big to replace him in 2018 anyway. I don't see the spreading out of the expenditure as being that important to us.

But then I wouldn't go for Griezmann. He will cost a fortune and we already have Mkhi for that central role. Great player but the money could be spent better.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm with you in that I'm not that sure about Griezmann. He may also very well be unattainable. I just go back to what Ibra has, aside from his attributes as a player. Jose will be assembling and building a team. To have someone he trusts and reflects his attitude is very valuable. I'd also argue that once we've addressed the main faults in our team we've got an attack that's better equipped with a strong spine and the required mentality.

With regards to the spreading out of expenditure vs. a record-breaking summer, there can be numerous factors at play. One being that a crazy summer outlay brings a lot more pressure.

Ashley R1+O

How much negative effect can one player have on the team? I really don't believe this notion. It's making an easy 'excuse' when people blame Ibrahimovic for the other players 'shortcomings'. 1 or 2 players could be affected since player chemistry is a part of the game.
A lot in my opinion, he can barely run and his phase-linkup play is not very good. I can't really see anybody blaming Ibrahimovic for anything, more giving their opinions on how they feel on the situation is being misconstrued as some form of blame, which would be silly to attach. He's scored a stupid amount of goals for us this season. I said in the other thread, simply pointing out that he's a short term solution, slow and struggles with fluid fast link up play is just calling a spade a spade really.

Does that growing team of yours include Rooney? Either way, I find it strange to want a scoring striker (who quite frankly is carrying our team) gone but praise a non-scoring one so often in spite of the Englishman's dire performances.
I'm not the manager, Mourinho is. I'm going to say 'Yes' if he is still here? 'No' if he is not. I've never said I want Ibrahimovic to leave at all, so if you're drawing inference there then you're projecting your narrative on the situation. I don't really think anybody should leave our team, with the four additions this season we have a very good core of players that can evolve and flourish after a few minor tweaks here and there.

Again, like I said above, pointing out that Ibrahimovic is a short term solution, slow and struggles with fluid and fast link-up play is not a criticism it is an observation. If you want more synergy and dynamism from the entire attacking force then you need to think of a way to do that. Adjust the system in order to conform to the natural drawbacks of having a striker who is slow and struggles to fluidly link up play in order to maximize the attack as a whole. Or jettison.

I'm glad that isn't my decision to be honest, it is probably our single most problematic area going into next season. Do we bin a high scoring striker for the greater good or adjust the flow around him. Jose makes the big bucks because its his decision. I sit back and watch and give my observations. I can't change any of it.

Mike09

Whether Zlatan is going to stay or leave, I don't think it will affect us that much if we can find proper replacement for him. There are many striker out there who can score goals. Jose sold Zlatan which was their best player and main goal scorer in Inter and replaced him with Eto'o and Milito and they end up won treble.

Unlike RVP in 2012/2013 who was very consistent in every game which we can relied on alone, Zlatan isn't that consistent to be relied on alone this season. That's why we need another player beside him who can score goals. If Zlatan leaves means we need minimum two proper goal scorer replacement. The negative thing if we lose Zlatan, we will need to spend more money to get another attacker.

I'm more afraid that if we lose De Gea who's going to replace him and can the replacement play consistently alongside non top defenders in front of him.

RedMaestro

A lot in my opinion, he can barely run and his phase-linkup play is not very good. I can't really see anybody blaming Ibrahimovic for anything, more giving their opinions on how they feel on the situation is being misconstrued as some form of blame, which would be silly to attach. He's scored a stupid amount of goals for us this season. I said in the other thread, simply pointing out that he's a short term solution, slow and struggles with fluid fast link up play is just calling a spade a spade really.
Agreed, it's a short term solution and he is slow. Can't really fully agree with the fast link up if I understand what you mean. Sure he can't keep up with the others pace of running, but his passing does work well as long as the others are really fast (he might be slow, but his passing is really fast as long as they 'show themselves'). If I understand you correctly you're meaning the fast link up play is needed as part of a good counter attack? If this is the case, then Ibrahimovic, is totally wrong. But how much counter attacking will be a part of Mourinho's tactics?

Well, I wasn't meaning anything specific with the 'blame word' - it was the 'easiest' way to describe it. :) It just seems like some are saying that if Ibrahimovic wasn't a part of the team then everything would look better with the other players. There's nothing wrong with wanting a faster player and a long term solution. But who is this striker? I can't think of a player at the moment that will be better than Ibrahimovic. That's why I feel some are overly critical at the moment.

It's clear that there are a few strikers available this summer and if some feel that they'd fit in perfectly then I hope they are right. I'd love it if one of them would be the right choice. So Lukaku, Aubayemang, Belotti and Icardi are the players:

Lukaku will probably choose between 3 clubs (only ones I can think of) - Manchester United, Chelsea, PSG?
Aubayemang - Real Madrid, any of the CL teams in PL next season, PSG?
Belotti - Manchester United, Chelsea, Bayern Munich?
Icardi - any of the CL teams in PL, La Liga or Bundesliga?

Are there other players that could fit in right away? Can't think of any. André Silva seems to be really good, but is he ready to lead this club? Kane would be perfect, but that is only a 'dream' and will never happen. Seems to me that Icardi would be the 'easiest' one to get even without CL.

RedMaestro

Again I'd agree except we know we're going to have to spend big to replace him in 2018 anyway. I don't see the spreading out of the expenditure as being that important to us.

But then I wouldn't go for Griezmann. He will cost a fortune and we already have Mkhi for that central role. Great player but the money could be spent better.
You're right if there is a striker right now that would fit in? Is there a 'perfect' striker for this team out there and available this summer? If not, then why rush it? But if the 'perfect' one is available this summer then you're right and he should come and there's no point in postponing.

Who do you think would be the best choice? Would your choice be the same even if every striker out there was available? For me, it's really difficult to decide.

We'd be just as shite if you did a straight swap for Kane or Lukaku in Zlatan's role @Ashley R1+O. Our forward and his pace isn't the issue, it's the shiteness of our others attackers this season that has been the problem. Can't shoot, can't finish, can't dribble, can't find a killer pass/cross, none of which can be attributed to another player affecting them.