Zlatan Ibrahimovic Transfer Speculation

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Got a feeling we've got a more long term option lined up and we've told Zlatan it's upto him if he wants to stay. He's probably been told that it'll mean reduced game time. There's a lot of good strikers about at the moment so we have no option but to move this summer.

RMD83

I would be amazed if he wasn't here next season. His ego will be loving the speculation of whether he's staying or not.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's only a few better options around than us at the moment looking at the overall package, and they probably wouldn't actually take him.

It's getting a bit crazy talking about more than a 1 year deal though. Some clubs, and us previously have had a 1 year deal past 30. So you don't start dishing out the long term deals to a guy approaching 36!

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He has convinced his doubters one of them being myself.

Thing is given his age one wrong movement might lead to an injury that will end his career.

If he stays another season for the same terms great - if not thanks and all the best to him.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Just why the hell would he leave man utd and the biggest club in the world for some south Italian junk town and garbage arena with a non ambitious board? This is made up by ridiculous dreamers who are more interested in a good story than the football. Shoot yourself in the head please.
Hes played for 3 different clubs there so maybe he likes the country and the culture.
Also the Pizza is great in Napoli :)

Cantona_Forever

Desperate for an European title, wants to go to Napoli? :lol::confused:
Yeah.. doesn't compute.

He knows he's in great form and want to force us to more beneficial contract. I personally believe we will be a better team without him next year anyway. If we have to rely on 36 years old forward who's not that mobile, have to play every 90 minutes of every games, for another year then I don't think we will have a great shot at big titles.
Anyone who said to give him 3 years contract at his age are just as mad and incompetent as Moyes giving Rooney huge wage for 5 years.

ovoxo

Got a feeling we've got a more long term option lined up and we've told Zlatan it's upto him if he wants to stay. He's probably been told that it'll mean reduced game time. There's a lot of good strikers about at the moment so we have no option but to move this summer.
This could be the reason behind all of this. Who do you think we could end up going for? I can't really see many quality strikers though, we have Lukaku who is going to sign a new contract, we have Belotti who is having a great season, Dolberg and Andre Silva deserve mentions, but other than that, I can't see anyone else who could potentially move.

dogwithabone

My guess is he's stalling until he gets some clarity as to who we are bringing in. If we are able to sign Greizmann or Kane or any other high profile striker in that age bracket then reality says Zlatan won't get the game time he's enjoyed thus season.

At 36 you can't really blame him if he's seeking some assurances as to where he'll stand in the pecking order next season.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sure he'll be here for another year, provided you splash the cash again and look to compete for the title.

But you may as well be pro active and look for a replacement anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd expect another year from him at this level. After that, it will be a slippery slope down into mediocrity.

AkaAkuma

We're signing 3-4 players in the summer, you think one of those is going to replace our most productive player?

Who?

Consider it also needs to fit the mould of a Mourinho striker.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I have no doubt that he would be hurt by not having won the Champions League, but if that really is a factor he would never have joined us in the first place when he was already at PSG.
I think Champions League contention was a significant factor, but not the factor. If we compare what United would've offered relative to PSG: chance to play for a storied club, chance to win a league he's never won, chance to silence some doubts about his suitability to the physical game, chance to be reunited with Mourinho (who he has a good relationship with - and ironically, Internazionale won the CL immediately after Zlatan left - so there might be some lingering doubt in his mind in terms of what could've been had I stuck with Mourinho), outside chance to win the CL in the next 2-3 years if things go well, a change of scenery (which could've done some good), etc. Plus, while Paris Saint-Germain are better than us in Europe and have a stronger team, over the last 3-ish years with Ibrahimović - they had stagnated at a QF type level - without really threatening to go through the ceiling by beating one of the real big boys in the knockout rounds, so he might've felt that the cycle was ending and the time was up (a gamble from his end because he's now relying on José and United's finances to build a contender at a brisk pace).
Is there a credible CL challenger that would take him?
Maybe if he lowered his wage demands, told Raiola to STFU, and showed a level of workrate he didn't always in the past - a manager like Simeone at a club like Atlético would've taken a chance on him because #9 ahead of Griezmann is a fluid position for them. But he certainly wouldn't be a prominent player for some of the other teams because Benzema is a better fit with Ronaldo/Bale, Barcelona have Suárez (Zlatan wouldn't have gone back anyway), Bayern have Lewandowski, etc. Dunno about rejoining Juventus - doesn't seem to have the best relationship with them:

InfiniteBoredom

Dunno about rejoining Juventus - doesn't seem to have the best relationship with them:
Refused to play and raised an absolute stinker to leave when they were relegated. If he goes anywhere near Turin they will have his head for breakfast.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm thinking he re-signing will have a lot to do with whether or not we sign our long term striking option, if we even have one. If we sign someone (ala Griezemann, Lukaku) we deem to be our long term striker then I can see Ibrahimovic moving on as I doubt he'd want to play second fiddle to anyone.

predator

Youth NITK
I think he'll stay. I think he loves playing for a club which is one of the top 3 biggest in the world. He loves Mourinho and seems very popular with his teammates. He's playing great as well.

The alleged concerns over CL football are perfect understandable for a young player although I personally don't understand it regarding Ibra. Then again I am a United fan. If I was him and was concerned about the chances of my current team playing in the champions league next season I would only look for a move to a club which has a realistic chance of winning the competition - Barca, Juve, Madrid. He's played in the competition for years. It's unlikely that he will win it now.

AkaAkuma

I'm thinking he re-signing will have a lot to do with whether or not we sign our long term striking option, if we even have one. If we sign someone (ala Griezemann, Lukaku) we deem to be our long term striker then I can see Ibrahimovic moving on as I doubt he'd want to play second fiddle to anyone.
Its not logical to sign direct competition for him this summer. We've got 3-4 signings this summer, it would be wasted on upgrading Zlatan while he's our most productive player. An understudy, perhaps - but that wouldn't unsettle him.

I'd say the delay in signing is a question of an increased wage and the club deliberating on the 3rd season. They might have planned for the replacement to come in the summer after next. So aren't sure on paying 300k a week to a rotation player.

Rameses

Refused to play and raised an absolute stinker to leave when they were relegated. If he goes anywhere near Turin they will have his head for breakfast.
What teams are there who can pay 250+ and also may be interested in him? Happily, England, Chelsea don't need him and City won't look for him when Aguero leaves when Guardiola is around.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Ibra stays, I doubt we go after a number 9 until he leaves. And plus, there really aren't any good ones available at the moment, so its probably best to wait.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
If Ibra stays, I doubt we go after a number 9 until he leaves. And plus, there really aren't any good ones available at the moment, so its probably best to wait.
Exactly. Good strikers are very hard to come by these days. Rashford and/or Martial will be ready to take on #9 in 2 years. Until then, Ibra's a great choice.

Devil may care

The problem with that is we can never rest him, which is a crazy position to be in with a player who will be 36 next season. So far Rashford has started 3 games as a #9, the first EL match against Feyenoord where we had to bring on Ibra after an hour, and 2 FA Cup games against Championship relegation candidates, it's clear Jose doesn't fancy the other options to play as the #9. A striker like Belotti would be a good fit to come in and roatate with Ibra for his first season while he settles into the league.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It would be a mistake. As good as Ibra is, we need options upfront, he just cant carry our attack alone for another season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It makes sense for him to spend possibly his last year or so of playing at a great level, at a club that plays at the highest level (CL).

On the other hand I'm not sure a 3 year deal makes sense. I suppose it could given how fit he appears to be. But you don't want a situation where we've got both him and Rooney (who hopefully goes this summer) on huge wages but well past their peak in two years time.

Devil81

I'd give him the two years, I'd also put some sort of clause in the contract that we'd be allowed to cancel the final year if he didn't play a certain number of games or deliver on certain personal targets.

Marcelinho87

It would be a mistake. As good as Ibra is, we need options upfront, he just cant carry our attack alone for another season.
I don't think he is carrying it. I think it is purposely set up to get the most out of him at the expense of others.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd give him the two years, I'd also put some sort of clause in the contract that we'd be allowed to cancel the final year if he didn't play a certain number of games or deliver on certain personal targets.
I don't think you understand what "giving him the two years" actual means.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don't think you understand what "giving him the two years" actual means.
Show some respect. You're talking to the man who negotiated Alan Pardew's 10 year deal.

WhoDaGOAT

Then its time for Rashford and Martial to step up as reliable goal scorers.
While I want Rashford to play more games up front, expecting 20-30 goals from a 19 year old is not realistic.

From the wing, 15+ goals a season is a realistic return to expect from Martial.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
While I want Rashford to play more games up front, expecting 20-30 goals from a 19 year old is not realistic.

He didn't say 20-30 each. They have 14 goals between them all season and 7 in the league. That's 60 appearances.

I think it's fair to think both should be on 10+ goals by now.

RedMaestro

Wouldn't it be good if Mourinho could find a young and talented striker to first buy and then directly loaning out for two seasons if Ibra will stay for 2 more seasons? Preferably loaned to a club in one of the top Leagues and at least mid-club level to get to play regularly? Just like Chelsea did with Courtois, by loaning him out to Atletico Madrid and then he took over after Cech.

Now I don't know all of the players out there that have the right age and potential and is willing to "wait" for two seasons. But since there aren't that many strikers like Ibra out there it would maybe be better to find a young one?

So why not Kasper Dolberg from Ajax? He's been really good this far - is 19 years old, born October 97, 1.87m and 77kg which shows he clearly has the right physique - so he would be 22 years old to take over after Ibra and hopefull fully learned.

Any thoughts?

Big Andy

Bloke
Give him a statue, a million pounds an hour, a free blowjob at Sandy's Superstars, and whatever he wants...

the bloke is a fecking legend...

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Pretty much what @Pexbo said. Rashford and Martial are obviously scoring less because Ibra is carrying all the water. In his absence, both of them would have to step up and double their current contribution and help other attackers (Griezmann?) to make up the difference.

WhoDaGOAT

He didn't say 20-30 each. They have 14 goals between them all season and 7 in the league. That's 60 appearances.

I think it's fair to think both should be on 10+ goals by now.
10 goals would be a good return for a 19 year old player who's been in rotation and playing different roles.

Martial should definitely be in double figures, but he hasn't had that many runs in the side. 20 starts overall. 12 goals would be a good return at this stage. It's been a difficult season for him, transitioning from the main man to having to fight for a place. The team is now built around Pogba and Ibrahimović instead.