Zlatan tells Lukaku "‘Go do your voodoo s***, you little donkey"

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Thanks for the full quote. It's unfortunate he didn't sue because now it's his word against Moshiri. At lot of people engage in different varieties of fortune telling so it's hardly impossible that was true.
Lukaku's response at the time:

“Romelu’s decision had nothing to do with voodoo. He distances himself from these beliefs and this statement and will now see what judicial steps can be taken in relation to them. Romelu is very Catholic and voodoo is not part of his life or his beliefs. He simply had no faith in Everton and no confidence in Mr Moshiri’s project."

Charles Miller

Its easy to spot racists in this kind of thread. They always claim its not racism at all, or that "people see racism everywhere these days." Waiting for some of them to bring "pc culture."

TsuWave

these threads are the worst

the “people want to turn everything into racism nowadays” brigade always congregate in them clocking “what is the world coming to” and “in the good old days” double shifts

lysglimt

Scout
I know a lot of people love Zlatan - personally I can't stand the guy. He is what you in school would call a bully. It's not really hard to believe the stories that have been leaked from the Swedish National Team when Zlatan was around

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think he says voodoo shit but I can't see how that is racist? "White" men are portrayed as practicing voodoo in movies all the time, I never knew some thought it was only attributed to a certain demographic?
Go to Google Image search.
Type Voodoo.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Voodoo is still practiced in parts of Africa. It's clearly what he means. He called Mido a gypsy too, so this is typical Zlatan.
Epic Zlatan? No way!

I think the clip on page 2 is relatively clear — “go to your mother, do your voodoo shit”. As you say, the connotation of Ibrahimovic practicing voodoo is solely down to the fact he - or his mum - are from Africa. People can cite the Moshiri comment from his Everton days all they want, like that makes it any less of an odious comment to make.

RoyH1

Zlatan is not a very pleasant guy, he has a reputation of being a bit of a bully.
Being Italy, he might get away with a fine.

Go to Google Image search.
Type Voodoo.
I get a lot of dolls & loads of this dude...

You are aware that you can’t ask anyone to “do a google search” and expect everyone to get the same as you right? Everyone’s google search is different.
I personally was expecting loads of pic of the monkey island voodoo lady, my crap google doesn’t know me well enough.

It’s why you type “Jose Mourinho is a... “ and it autofills “wanker” whereas duffer autofills “legend”.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thanks for the full quote. It's unfortunate he didn't sue because now it's his word against Moshiri. At lot of people engage in different varieties of fortune telling so it's hardly impossible that was true.
There’s no fecking way Romelu Lukaku was going practically to enter a civil litigation suit against a majority shareholder of a massive football club. The public threat of suing is what Lukaku had to get out, and that’s what he did.

Brophs

The One and Only
If Lukaku’s touch off the pitch is as heavy as it is on then Zlatan and his wife are in for a long, very chafed night.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I once again find myself in uncharted waters with racism nuances. A comment by Moshiri was surely racist (if it wasn't true, mind, but that's a bit hard to believe in) — as it was a generalisation based on Lukaku's heritage/ethnicity.

But when Ibra uses it, it's the opposite of a generalisation — it's a very direct dig at a situation that happened with Lukaku and no one else (unless you believe that Ibra has made a random racist comment that miraculously mirrored an actual scandalous situation that happened with Lukaku — again, that's highly unlikely); it doesn't allude to his race etc., but to a real story from Lukaku's life.

And then there's a bit that confuses me though. If Moshiri's comment was racist, did Ibra made a second-hand racist comment? Or, since it wasn't officially disputed in court (like Lukaku threatened to) and Moshiri hasn't apologised for it, is it a fair game for Ibra to use it?

Personally, I'd probably go with intent and I'm pretty sure that Ibra was going for a direct hit to Lukaku's personal history rather than on his race (if only for a simple reason that real situations tend to hurt more), but I'm open to people trying to argue otherwise.

P.S. none of that wooden shed lunacy, please :lol:

P.P.S. I'd also argue that the voodoo story in itself isn't trying to offend Lukaku on the base of his race, it's meant to highlight his hypocrisy (as in... wanted to go to Chelsea, but chose United's money); what makes it racist is that Moshiri uses voodoo instead of any other possible reason for the original decision to join Chelsea

SirAF

Ageist
Watched it now, he definitely said «voodoo»

Wooden shed ffs :lol:

jackal&hyde

I once again find myself in uncharted waters with racism nuances. A comment by Moshiri was surely racist (if it wasn't true, mind, but that's a bit hard to believe in) — as it was a generalisation based on Lukaku's heritage/ethnicity.

But when Ibra uses it, it's the opposite of a generalisation — it's a very direct dig at a situation that happened with Lukaku and no one else (unless you believe that Ibra has made a random racist comment that miraculously mirrored an actual scandalous situation that happened with Lukaku — again, that's highly unlikely); it doesn't allude to his race etc., but to a real story from Lukaku's life.

And then there's a bit that confuses me though. If Moshiri's comment was racist, did Ibra made a second-hand racist comment? Or, since it wasn't officially disputed in court (like Lukaku threatened to) and Moshiri hasn't apologised for it, is it a fair game for Ibra to use it?

Personally, I'd probably go with intent and I'm pretty sure that Ibra was going for a direct hit to Lukaku's personal history rather than on his race (if only for a simple reason that real situations tend to hurt more), but I'm open to people trying to argue otherwise.

Good post that sums up my understanding of the situation too.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
They clearly meant to do some freaky shit in the wooden shed.

On a serious note, it's Italy, both players would get a long ban which would just nicely end after their teams played Juventus.

P.P.S. I'd also argue that the voodoo story in itself isn't trying to offend Lukaku on the base of his race, it's meant to highlight his hypocrisy (as in... wanted to go to Chelsea, but chose United's money); what makes it racist is that Moshiri uses voodoo instead of any other possible reason for the original decision to join Chelsea
This is a much more nuanced view on it.

The Moshiri comment is clearly racist, Zlatan was teammates with Lukaku at the time and as this popped into his head immediately you can be certain they took the piss as friends about it at United.
The problem is Zlatan using that bit of banter in a heated argument, as I said earlier, it’ll appear more sinister then rather than banter and only Lukaku can tell us how he took it, which didn’t look good.

Zelex

I don't think it's racist per se but it's definitely offensive (I am of Nigerian origin). I don't believe it's Zlatan's intention to be 'racist' but it's a stupid comment. I personally find this more offensive than several other 'slurs'. It's irritates me a little that some people find all this funny but to each his own.

NotThatSoph

Since we're on the topic of Italy, I'm reminded of the excuses/explanations from the ultras, managers, press and a few Redcafe posters every time there's racial abuse from the stands. The story is that it's not actually racism. They don't do monkey chants to liken black people to apes, and they don't shout racial slurs because they believe certain things about black people. They only do it because they know the black players don't like it and that they might get a reaction. If they could use something else then they would, thus it can't be real racism. This was a defense trotted out for Suarez as well.

Personally I doubt these stories, I think people who are fine with racially abusing people like that tend to have some unsavory racial beliefs, but even if they didn't their actions are clearly racist to me. If Zlatan used that clearly racist story as a way to insult Lukaku then that seems very similar to me.

Idxomer

I don't think it's racist per se but it's definitely offensive (I am of Nigerian origin). I don't believe it's Zlatan's intention to be 'racist' but it's a stupid comment. I personally find this more offensive than several other 'slurs'. It's irritates me a little that some people find all this funny but to each his own.
Agreed, It was stupid from Ibra because he clearly didn't think much before using it. He should know better at his age.

SwedishFish

I know a lot of people love Zlatan - personally I can't stand the guy. He is what you in school would call a bully. It's not really hard to believe the stories that have been leaked from the Swedish National Team when Zlatan was around
Found the Norwegian in the thread.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

I think what we learnt with Cavani is that personal intent is irrelevant and how it is viewed in general is everything.

Moshiri's comment as you said was clearly racist and using that as an insult against Lukaku three years later is still racist. Ibra might not have meant it to be, but it is.

Admittedly they may handle this differently in Italy to the way Cavani was punished here, but whether this had racist intent or not this was an insulting derogatory comment based on race.

Totally agree on wooden shed!

Spaghetti

Mom's
Bit childish but not racist. I don’t know how many times people need to post the Lukaku links to voodoo to show that.

In addition, Lukaku is upset by the mother comments rather than the voodoo ones.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Since we're on the topic of Italy, I'm reminded of the excuses/explanations from the ultras, managers, press and a few Redcafe posters every time there's racial abuse from the stands. The story is that it's not actually racism. They don't do monkey chants to liken black people to apes, and they don't shout racial slurs because they believe certain things about black people. They only do it because they know the black players don't like it and that they might get a reaction. If they could use something else then they would, thus it can't be real racism. This was a defense trotted out for Suarez as well.

Personally I doubt these stories, I think people who are fine with racially abusing people like that tend to have some unsavory racial beliefs, but even if they didn't their actions are clearly racist to me. If Zlatan used that clearly racist story as a way to insult Lukaku then that seems very similar to me.
Oh yeah, I seem to recall that ultras letter (was it about Balotelli?), it was astonishingly ridiculous in its unhinged racism.

Still, I've added a P.P.S. specifically for this. Comparing black players to apes is racist and there isn't any second layer to this. The Everton voodoo story is a story that is meant to highlight Lukaku's hypocrisy and willing to betray his word for more money — but the way Moshiri constructed the story made it racist; he could've said that Lukaku's mother went on Camino de Santiago and got a revelation that he should join Chelsea, but he (consciously or subconsciously, it doesn't really matter) went for a voodoo bs, clearly because of Lukaku's race.

I don't want to appear to be defending Ibra here by the way, I just find those topics very interesting and always want to get to the bottom of that — for better or for worse, racism in Russia is way more blatant and I have little to no experience with more questionable situations.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Unfortunate for Lukaku that he didn't dispell this voodoo rumour earlier, he probably talked to Zlatan about it in Utd and now he got it in his face. Definitely not racist. Move along people.