£40m for Ozil | Deal to Arsenal confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

I can't believe people are questioning the idea of signing Ozil.

Name Changed

weso26
How anyone would question this signing is beyond me. Even more puzzled so are concerned of Kagawa
!
We already stupidly play Kagawa on the left the whole time. Where would he play if Ozil was there was well, with Ozil presumably as good as guaranteed to start?

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
If this was to happen we would lose Kagawa back to Dortmund by the end of the season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ain't it obvious? We're going to throw Kags and Ozil side by side in the hole with RVP infront of em. A 4-5-1 formation.

But surely if this is correct and we are going for Ozil then Rooney is off. I think its more likely that this is a bs rumour.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Kagawa has looked better for Dortmund than I have ever seen Ozil look for Real. I'd rather we persist with what we have than bring in a player who will completely negate one of the best talents we have.

We don't need Ozil. We need players in other positions. Why spend 40m on a player when we already have a perfectly good one who can play in that position yet we still can't fit him in? We'd be better off bidding again for a proper central midfielder.
The exact same things were said about RVP last summer - almost to the letter - and look how that turned out.

If your statement was we need a central midfielder more then we need Ozil, then that would make more sense - but ultimately there is also no reason why we couldn't be in for Ozil and a midfielder or two. And again, there is also no reason why you can't have Ozil and Kagawa if you set up the team appropriately.

Also, you should probably watch more Real Madrid games I would say... but that's by the by.

Ultimately, this is a bollocks rumour so it's not really worth debating over.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Ain't it obvious? We're going to throw Kags and Ozil side by side in the hole with RVP infront of em. A 4-5-1 formation.

But surely if this is correct and we are going for Ozil then Rooney is off. I think its more likely that this is a bs rumour.

Indeed!

Cina

T'was only last year I questioned the signing of RvP because he might limit our other forwards, I won't make that mistake again.

LR7

I can't believe people are questioning the idea of signing Ozil.
Probably the same people in the Fellaini thread saying that we should spend £30m on him.

I only think that we would consider Ozil if Rooney is going.

NoLogo

I find comments like this mental... how can any club that aren't say Bayern Munich, Madrid or Barca (though I think even they could use him) say they don't *need* or *want* a player of Ozil's quality? He's a cracking footballer of genuine class... he would instantly improve any Premiership team. Kagawa is a good player, but he's not as good as Ozil... There is also no reason we couldn't hypothetically have both.

There were plenty of these *want* and *need* comments about RVP before he signed for us... frankly, when it comes to top class players, there isn't a *need* or *want* involved.

To be honest I'm not Özil's biggest fan, neither for our national team nor for Real so I'm probably biased against him. He is a player that too often goes missing when the shit hits the fan and I'm pretty certain as long as he is the central figure in our national team we won't win a trophy because he is not that type of person who leads a team to glory.

If we were talking about Draxler I would be all for it but not Özil.

I just don't rate him that highly simply because he tends to be a "Schönwetterspieler" (nice weather player) like we say in Germany. Draxler on the other hand is a player that even at the age of 19 showed that he is willing to lead a team and take responsibility even in the big matches, something that rarely can be said about Özil and to be honest I don't need a player that will play world class against Stoke and West Ham but goes missing against Man City and Chelsea.

But since Draxler ain't gonna happen this season I would rather we stick with Kagawa then splash 40 mil on Özil.

Name Changed

weso26
The exact same things were said about RVP last summer - almost to the letter - and look how that turned out.

If your statement was we need a central midfielder more then we need Ozil, then that would make more sense - but ultimately there is also no reason why we couldn't be in for Ozil and a midfielder or two. And again, there is also no reason why you can't have Ozil and Kagawa if you set up the team appropriately.

Also, you should probably watch more Real Madrid games I would say... but that's by the by.

Ultimately, this is a bollocks rumour so it's not really worth debating over.
Well it is a bollocks rumour. I watch a lot of Spanish football, and I have never been overly impressed with Ozil. He's good, sure, but I don't think he's 40m of an improvement that we need. We have Kagawa who in my opinion would be just as good as Ozil if given the proper position and proper time in the team.

I don't remember anyone saying the same things about RVP to be honest.

You can't really set up the team with Ozil and Kagawa in it unless one or both of them is played out of position. We are most likely going to play with wide players so unless they played wide, they'd both have to be in a hole behind RVP with would leave only one recognised central midfielder. I can't see that working. Buying Ozil would mean Kagawa would still play wide, and Ozil himself would end up there a good bit as well.

adamwest

http://oneloverma.com/ozil-i-can-see-myself-retiring-at-real/

In an interview given to Sport Bild, Mesut Özil confirmed that he is currently in the process of negotiating his continuation at Real Madrid and, as his father already made clear, “there are no new developments.”
The German player said that there was no hurry and the only thing on his mind is playing under Carlo Ancelotti next season: “I am happy that they want to extend my contract, but nothing has been settled yet. I am in no hurry, but it is great that Real Madrid wants to keep me on, because that means they believe in me.
Özil added: “Of course I can see myself retiring at Real Madrid, but something else entirely could also happen. In football, changes happen overnight.”
The German mid-fielder’s contract ends in 2016 and Real want to extend it for another three seasons. If all goes to plan, Ozil will stand to earn around €8 million a year.
Özil also spoke about the forthcoming season and claimed the competition didn’t worry him: “Madrid has to have the best there are as you can’t expect to win in a season with only eleven players. We are aiming high this year.”
“Zidane was always my idol. I watched all his moves and wanted to play like him. He was a cut above the rest and now I know he’s also a great guy,” he finished by saying.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
If Kagawa starts on the left, there is no way he will stay there all game; he'll drift in to the middle and back out again looking for space. If he was playing alongside Ozil, and another player who can roam effectively (e.g. Nani), there's no reason why all three could not end up being wide left, wide right and in the middle at different stages of the game. That kind of fluidity, with players of that intelligence and creativity, would be a nightmare to defend against, and would help us break through those stubborn defences where we can't find space because 10 men are being kept behind the ball.

Cina

Well it is a bollocks rumour. I watch a lot of Spanish football, and I have never been overly impressed with Ozil. He's good, sure, but I don't think he's 40m of an improvement that we need. We have Kagawa who in my opinion would be just as good as Ozil if given the proper position and proper time in the team.

I don't remember anyone saying the same things about RVP to be honest.

You can't really set up the team with Ozil and Kagawa in it unless one or both of them is played out of position. We are most likely going to play with wide players so unless they played wide, they'd both have to be in a hole behind RVP with would leave only one recognised central midfielder. I can't see that working. Buying Ozil would mean Kagawa would still play wide, and Ozil himself would end up there a good bit as well.
Lots did.

Name Changed

weso26
Lots did.
Maybe so but I can't recall it and can't understand why they would.

There is a huge difference between RVP and Ozil though. RVP was a guaranteed world class PL goalscorer and someone that would dramatically improve the team. He is miles ahead of whoever else Rooney's partner would have been.

I can't see that with Ozil. Is he miles better than Kagawa? I don't think he is.

NinjaFletch

I hope not, Modric is a decent player, but he's not worth 40m. I suppose the problem is we're going to have to overpay for whatever CM we decide to go for. Throw some cash for Matic, he's a class CM and would be a cheaper option.
Didn't they pay £30m for him a season ago?

Don't see how £40m is that outrageous.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I hope not, Modric is a decent player, but he's not worth 40m. I suppose the problem is we're going to have to overpay for whatever CM we decide to go for. Throw some cash for Matic, he's a class CM and would be a cheaper option.
A good call at the right price.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Maybe so but I can't recall it and can't understand why they would.

There is a huge difference between RVP and Ozil though. RVP was a guaranteed world class PL goalscorer and someone that would dramatically improve the team. He is miles ahead of whoever else Rooney's partner would have been.

I can't see that with Ozil. Is he miles better than Kagawa? I don't think he is.
Main ones I can remember is (a) a lot of money for an injury prone player in their last year of contract (b) it will take playing time away from Hernandez and (c) it will stunt Welbeck's growth as a player.

As for Ozil, he is easily in the top 5 attacking midfielders in the world, and would be the best in the league in his position. Not to mention, he's still only 24.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
It's Ozil....how the feck are people saying no to Ozil?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would love him as I think he's a superior player to Kagawa in almost every possible way. It's not gonna happen just like it was never gonna happen with Fabregas, some transfers are just meant to not happen.

How dare you say such things about Kagawa. He's considered a mix of Jesus, Mohammed and Buddha in here...;)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Reposting from the other thread as I see this one is active. I mentioned this last night during the show but I'll fill in a few details now. Whoever the target is, it did sound like United are talking to someone still.

------------------

Just to give a bit of background. The discussion was on Punto Pelota, Gallardo who they treat as part clown part village idiot told them Madrid were expecting a bid of 45.6m Euros for a "foreign player".

They then played guess the player and the buyer. Siri Lopez immediately said 45.6m, that's an English club bidding 40m pounds. He then followed up with the only club considering paying that kind of money for an "available" Madrid player is United - as Coentrao and Pepe are cheaper than that. Several of the regulars (who often break stories) agreed that Madrid did have an excess of midfielders and that United have been talking to the club for a while, and that at that price Madrid would have to listen.

Lopez said he reckoned the one closest to a deal was Ozil, because he's the one looking most distressed about the arrival of Isco, and the possible arrival of Bale. He's also been tagged as someone who plays worse when he's got to compete for a starting place.

Modric is the more obvious option for us, but it's not at all obvious that Madrid are willing to sell - he's one year into his contract, he has been getting steadily better. He is the closest they've got to a direct stand in for Alonso, who may not be a fit enough to do a full season.

Anyway, as I said, it does hark back to a story back in June that we were going to bid on Ozil and Khedira. A story that cooled after we started bidding for Fabregas.

Cina

The way we can overrate our players can be ridiculous at times.
it's hilarious to an extent.

I wouldn't give two fecks if Kagawa was shunted out to the left to accommodate Özil, because, it's fecking ÖZIL!

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Reposting from the other thread as I see this one is active. I mentioned this last night during the show but I'll fill in a few details now. Whoever the target is, it did sound like United are talking to someone still.

------------------

Just to give a bit of background. The discussion was on Punto Pelota, Gallardo who they treat as part clown part village idiot told them Madrid were expecting a bid of 45.6m Euros for a "foreign player".

They then played guess the player and the buyer. Siri Lopez immediately said 45.6m, that's an English club bidding 40m pounds. He then followed up with the only club considering paying that kind of money for an "available" Madrid player is United - as Coentrao and Pepe are cheaper than that. Several of the regulars (who often break stories) agreed that Madrid did have an excess of midfielders and that United have been talking to the club for a while, and that at that price Madrid would have to listen.

Lopez said he reckoned the one closest to a deal was Ozil, because he's the one looking most distressed about the arrival of Isco, and the possible arrival of Bale. He's also been tagged as someone who plays worse when he's got to compete for a starting place.

Modric is the more obvious option for us, but it's not at all obvious that Madrid are willing to sell - he's one year into his contract, he has been getting steadily better. He is the closest they've got to a direct stand in for Alonso, who may not be a fit enough to do a full season.

Anyway, as I said, it does hark back to a story back in June that we were going to bid on Ozil and Khedira. A story that cooled after we started bidding for Fabregas.
Thanks, as always jojojo.

So Khedira and Ozil, eh? I could roll with that. In fact, I'd love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.