£40m for Ozil | Deal to Arsenal confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They can compete and win a domestic cup as in those competitions, anything can happen. When it comes to the league however, they still need a few more quality players.
Agree but this is one signing that can push them significantly closer to challenging. They will need others too but this could be one of those talismanic signings that could help spark things if the rest is in place.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Gibbs and Jenkinson aren't good enough. Sagna has regressed over the last few seasons. Monreal doesn't look great. I'd say United, City, Chelsea, Spurs and probably Liverpool have better fullbacks than Arsenal.
Gibbs is about as good or inconsistent as Clichy, Enrique, Rose/Assou-Ekotto and a waning Cashley.

Sagna's been incredibly consistent over the past year or so. Would take him over Rafael, Walker (:S)and Johnson. Zabaleta and Ivanovic are better.

IrishLegend

Gibbs is about as good or inconsistent as Clichy, Enrique, Rose/Assou-Ekotto and a waning Cashley.

Sagna's been incredibly consistent over the past year or so. Would take him over Rafael, Walker (:S)and Johnson. Zabaleta and Ivanovic are better.

Haha. OK.

Walker had a dip in form recently but is still young and has room to improve. Unlike Sagna who's hit his peak and passed it (his peak that is). Johnson started off at Liverpool terribly but improved massively, I'd take him over Sagna now (but not at his peak).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Congrats to Arsenal for signing the best attacking midfielder in Europe.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe so, and I've not doubted his quality. I just don't think he strengthens an area where you were weak. It strengthens an area you were already strong in, and ignores an area or two where you aren't as strong. As evidenced by Bendtner now being your back-up striker. And Mertesacker, with his turning circle of a medium sized oil tanker being first choice centre half. Kind of like us ignoring centre midfiled for the last 78 years.

Again, fantastic player, and a statement of intent and proof of a willingness to spend cash, but not a necessity buy in my opinion. He'll improve you, but a striker and a centre half for £40mil the pair may have improved you more.
RVP wasn't a necessity buy for us last summer mind.

alastair

ignorant
Really incredibly odd how people are saying we don't need him when we scored one goal or fewer in over half of our league games last year. As Peterstörey said earlier I think, when a world class player like that is there to buy, you buy him. You don't consider that on balance you might need someone who plays a little further to the left or right.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Massive signing by Wenger is an understatement, on all counts. Özil will give the Gunners a premier talent to decide matches in a way they haven't had in years. Think it's a great fit

amolbhatia50k

Massive signing by Wenger is an understatement, on all counts. Özil will give the Gunners a premier talent to decide matches in a way they haven't had in years. Think it's a great fit
Really incredibly odd how people are saying we don't need him when we scored one goal or fewer in over half of our league games last year. As Peterstörey said earlier I think, when a world class player like that is there to buy, you buy him. You don't consider that on balance you might need someone who plays a little further to the left or right.
Agree.

Moyes' decision not to go for Ozil is the biggest disappointment of the summer for me personally.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
People will do anything to disparage an opposition signing.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There's still question marks over their keeper, all of their defenders, the defensive side of midfield and up front for Arsenal.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
All of our defenders?

We had the third (?) most solid defence last season. Koscielny is clearly up there with the best CB's in the business, and Mertesacker has been quality for a while now. Although he is prone to being caught on the break considering he's very slow, but his positioning and judgement cover his lack of acceleration and agility. Vermaelen has missed a lot of Football and has a lot of catching up to do. IF he can re-capture his first season form then we will have 3 strong options and a reliable backup in Sagna.

Gibbs and Monreal are two strong options to have at LB, there is no issue here.

I'm more worried about RB, especially with Sagna looking very good filling in at CB. Jenkinson is raw, but has shown he can put in against good sides, he just has to continue to develop. Flamini can also play RB (and LB).

A certified WC CB and/or RB would have be amazing, but you can't win them all.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I definitely agree with this 100%. Ozil is a world class proven player, I would have loved him at Utd. I couldn't care less if it meant Kagawa or anybody else would spend more time on the bench. Certain players are too good to miss out on.

Bojan11

So we bid £34m for him apparently. It is really bad when Arsenal outbid us for a player.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So we bid £34m for him apparently. It is really bad when Arsenal outbid us for a player.
If this is true, it just gets better and better. I mean the offer clearly states £42m and he is all ours and yet we still bid only £34m. I guess we needed to save up for the Fellaini deal because apparently that increased £4m was the reason we couldnt sign Herrera.

kouroux

If this is true, it just gets better and better. I mean the offer clearly states £42m and he is all ours and yet we still bid only £34m. I guess we needed to save up for the Fellaini deal because apparently that increased £4m was the reason we couldnt sign Herrera.
Why bother with the bid then I wonder ? A PR stunt :lol: ? One good thing that has come out of all this is that this fecking transfer window is closed.

RDCR07

And one month ago he was offered to us on a platter if the rumors are true. I dont know if Arsenal were in for him back then and if they werent then we would not have had any competition and he could have even had a couple of pre-season games to get acclimated to the squad.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't understand why anyone would think Özil isn't just as big an improvement in the attacking third as a world class center back would be at the back. Rosicky played there against Tottenham, not sure if he's a regular starter, but Rosicky, Podolski, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain aren't better attacking players than Mertesacker is as a defender or Giroud is as a striker. Özil will increase their goal output just as much as Higuain would have, maybe even more.

amolbhatia50k

More I think. Giroud has goals in him and Ozil will get more out of Walcott and him with his passes in behind.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

According to some bloke on twitter? It's an easy rumour to make up. They might well have offered a higher wage but everyone will have known what fee he was available for.

Bojan11

I personally think the Arsenal defence is fine. Might be a bit suspect to pace, but I don't think it is as weak as it was a few years back. Bould seems to have done a good job with the defence.

RDCR07

I personally think the Arsenal defence is fine. Might be a bit suspect to pace, but I don't think it is as weak as it was a few years back. Bould seems to have done a good job with the defence.
That is their weakest link. Even if they dont have a top striker, their midfield always contributes with goals and with Ozil there now that is only going to increase. Sagna hasnt been good for two to three years now. Gibbs in injury prone. Mertesacker and Kosciencly are alright but Vermaelen hasnt been good since his first season there.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
People seem to be under the impression we had a lot of creativity in the side, anyone who watched us regularly will know when Cazorla was heavily marked or having a poor game we looked so toothless it was unreal. Rosicky to be fair tries but doesn't have the genuine cutting edge of others. Ozil will help us massively when it comes to this, in some tight games last season we couldn't break teams down and if he settles in he will create chances galore, I think someone like Theo will really benefit from him in the side.

I still can't believe we have signed him, this has to be our biggest signing since Bergkamp!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
More I think. Giroud has goals in him and Ozil will get more out of Walcott and him with his passes in behind.
I think Özil fits in perfectly at Arsenal and Wenger's style will suit him very well. Wouldn't be surprised if Özil also scored way more goals than at Real, where the focus was mainly on Ronaldo scoring for the last years and therefore Özil's movement often was different to his role with the German nationalteam. Also he isn't half bad at freekicks as well, rarely got the opportunity at Real though.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
We're a lot more organised, definitely, and not as susceptible to set pieces as before.

I think the main challenge lies in getting points from the games which we should logically win. I think Ozil's quality is really going to help there. Looking forward to seeing us in action now.

fatboy

People seem to be under the impression we had a lot of creativity in the side, anyone who watched us regularly will know when Cazorla was heavily marked or having a poor game we looked so toothless it was unreal. Rosicky to be fair tries but doesn't have the genuine cutting edge of others. Ozil will help us massively when it comes to this, in some tight games last season we couldn't break teams down and if he settles in he will create chances galore, I think someone like Theo will really benefit from him in the side.

I still can't believe we have signed him, this has to be our biggest signing since Bergkamp!
You guys were having a laughable transfer window (almost as bad as ours) until the last day. Wenger turned everything on it's head with one brilliant signing. Best one since Bergkamp indeed. I can't believe we let this one slip by.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
After all the shit transfer windows the Gunners had to endure, you guys must be over the moon with how this ended.

Not only did you keep hold of your best, you got rid of some terrible ones and signed arguably the best creative mid in the world.

Welcome back to the big league pete ;)

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
fantastic signing who will improve Arsenal massively. Similar level to Mata IMO.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Our transfer window still wasn't completely salvaged but signing him is a huge step in the right direction. Still needed a striker and a defender imo.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I think Özil fits in perfectly at Arsenal and Wenger's style will suit him very well. Wouldn't be surprised if Özil also scored way more goals than at Real, where the focus was mainly on Ronaldo scoring for the last years and therefore Özil's movement often was different to his role with the German nationalteam. Also he isn't half bad at freekicks as well, rarely got the opportunity at Real though.
Fitness wise?!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Fitness wise?!
I don't think it's really a fitness issue. He played a few games for the German nationalteam in which he clearly showed that he's capable of working hard in the last 20minutes of a game. He's just drifting in and out of games, but I think that's more a concentration problem than fitness issue and I think more often than not Mourinho's subs were becaue of tactical reasons.

kouroux

I don't think it's really a fitness issue. He played a few games for the German nationalteam in which he clearly showed that he's capable of working hard in the last 20minutes of a game. He's just drifting in and out of games, but I think that's more a concentration problem than fitness issue and I think more often than not Mourinho's subs were becaue of tactical reasons.
Just for the sake of argument let's say he has fitness issues, not a pb for me when a player can be as good and as creative as him.

Cina

Not bothered with not getting Ozil, not what we needed. Well done to Arse though, massive for them, and i'd prefer them to get a player that good than City or Chelsea.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think the market value really matters here. They sold the better player for £40 million less then the one eh bought to replace him. Who gives a feck about commercial value when one player is just on a different level to the one you brought in.
Of course it matters, if Sugar Daddy clubs are willing to pay massive sums for up and coming players, then that's how much players are going to be bought and sold for. If another sugar daddy club wanted Bale as badly, you can bet they would have paid what Levy wanted.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Completely disagree. No top team has this - anyone fulfilling the defensive role needs to put a shift in and try to win the ball, not just be in position when the opponent attakcs.
Well apart from Barcelona, United, Arsenal...

Status
Not open for further replies.