£40m for Ozil | Deal to Arsenal confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Would he not learn grantely from having Ozil around? Could only inspire him. His still only 18/19.
Not saying it'd definitely end up badly for Januzaj - it's more that I think we'd have to seriously consider offloading other players just to afford him time, and even then he'd have a task on his hands. Just consider, for 4 positions we're already looking at Van Persie, Welbeck, Hernandez, Zaha, Valencia, Kagawa, Rooney, Young and Januzaj. That's 9 players... 10 with Ozil. 4 or 5 of these players won't even make the bench. :eek:

Another thing to consider - the respective ages of Kagawa, Nani and Ozil: all 3 of them have years of football ahead of them and are a fair way off their peak. If they were to ever click in one team you'd think they'd have at the very least 4 or 5 years of top drawer football in them, with players of the quality of Welbeck, Zaha and Hernandez feeding off scraps trying to break into the first XI. They're not exactly old either.

This is all obviously fairly irrelevant at this point given that there's nothing to suggest we're even interested in him, but it's something to consider. Co-incidentally, of all the modern day top quality footballers, Ozil is the one who is perhaps the most similar to Januzaj, and as a consequence is exactly the sort of footballer that would make it harder for him to break into the team.

Ringo 07

Ozil----------kagawa---------Welbeck
---------------RVP----------------

I'd prefer danny welbeck in the first 11 anyday ahead of Nani

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Could it be the case that Moyes would play a narrow 4-3-3 system, with Kagawa and Ozil acting as inside strikers and backed by the likes of Welbeck, Zaha and Januzaj?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A Spanish TV show, who have decent Madrid contacts, started the rumour - not as a "done deal" or anything like that, but as a serious possibility.

It did the rounds in early July as well in the form of a bid for him and Khedira, but went cold when we started bidding for Fabregas.

Kaos

I'd much rather we spend £40million on Modric than Admiral Ackbar. Would improve our midfield a lot more efficiently, even if Ozil is the superior player.

Mainoldo

I'd much rather we spend £40million on Modric than Admiral Ackbar. Would improve our midfield a lot more efficiently, even if Ozil is the superior player.
I'd happily throw Lingard in the midfield if it ment we get Ozil.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Same, throw in 10-15m on top of that and get Khedira in here too. That'd put us as favourites for the title I'd imagine.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Could it be the case that Moyes would play a narrow 4-3-3 system, with Kagawa and Ozil acting as inside strikers and backed by the likes of Welbeck, Zaha and Januzaj?
In theory you could play Kagawa, RVP and Welbeck/Zaha/Nani/Whoever as an upfront trio and Õzil as the most advanced midfielder (with Carrick as the holder and Someone Else centrally). And you could have Kagawa and Özil swap positions too. For my money that's a bit unbalanced, though. I would prefer RVP up front, Kagawa behind him in a pure playmaker role, flanked by Nani and Welbeck. In that set-up (more of a 4-2-3-1, in other words) you could play Özil behind the striker and Kagawa to the left of him, but again - they are a bit too similar for my liking.

Still, if we can get Özil - buy him, for God's sake. He's a brilliant footballer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In theory you could play Kagawa, RVP and Welbeck/Zaha/Nani/Whoever as an upfront trio and Õzil as the most advanced midfielder (with Carrick as the holder and Someone Else centrally). And you could have Kagawa and Özil swap positions too. For my money that's a bit unbalanced, though. I would prefer RVP up front, Kagawa behind him in a pure playmaker role, flanked by Nani and Welbeck. In that set-up (more of a 4-2-3-1, in other words) you could play Özil behind the striker and Kagawa to the left of him, but again - they are a bit too similar for my liking.

Still, if we can get Özil - buy him, for God's sake. He's a brilliant footballer.

It wont be an issue if Moyes brings in another DM. The Sevilla's guy comes to mind.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I was really wondering though... (honestly, not wanting to bash Moyes or United)

Would Ozil / Modric really fancy coming here? They're at Real Madrid, it's not like Madrid are any less of a football team than us, getting paid well, and playing in a team filled with world class player (they're not too shabby as a team don't they)

Really, what would be our bargaining point? It's not likely we're going to be splashing enormous wages ala PSG/City

And I don't think Ozil are in anyway left out of the squad at the moment, he still hasn't even started one season being rotated

Unless Madrid needs the money to buy Bale, but even then I doubt Ozil or Modric would wanna come on equal / lesser salary than what they have now.

Ash_G

I think you could go ozil and kagawa through the middle with one wide, and then have a Valencia/Nani on the other flank to provide width. Get the best of both there and avoid becoming too narrow and relying purely on fullbacks for width.

BD

I was really wondering though... (honestly, not wanting to bash Moyes or United)

Would Ozil / Modric really fancy coming here? They're at Real Madrid, it's not like Madrid are any less of a football team than us, getting paid well, and playing in a team filled with world class player (they're not too shabby as a team don't they)

Really, what would be our bargaining point? It's not likely we're going to be splashing enormous wages ala PSG/City

And I don't think Ozil are in anyway left out of the squad at the moment, he still hasn't even started one season being rotated

Unless Madrid needs the money to buy Bale, but even then I doubt Ozil or Modric would wanna come on equal / lesser salary than what they have now.
I think the thought is that if, as expected, Bale goes to Madrid, Ozil will lose a lot of game time that he had last year, with Bale and ISco having come in. He would then want to leave, as he'd prefer not to sit on the bench.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think the thought is that if, as expected, Bale goes to Madrid, Ozil will lose a lot of game time that he had last year, with Bale and ISco having come in. He would then want to leave, as he'd prefer not to sit on the bench.
Bale is not a midfielder, and I believe he's confident enough to battle it with Isco, and it's still yet to be seen whether him and Isco can play together.

BD

Bale is not a midfielder, and I believe he's confident enough to battle it with Isco, and it's still yet to be seen whether him and Isco can play together.
Bale isn't a midfielder no, but since you would imagine it'll be Ozil-Isco-Ronaldo in a 3 behind the striker, if Bale goes, he'll go straight into that three. Add in Di Maria who needs minutes and Modric can also play there, along with Kaka(haha).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Moyes said we are working on multiple signings... so Ozil, Ronaldo, Fabregas that is then :drool:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think you could go ozil and kagawa through the middle with one wide, and then have a Valencia/Nani on the other flank to provide width. Get the best of both there and avoid becoming too narrow and relying purely on fullbacks for width.
So, with RVP up front, you'd go with: Kagawa - Özil - Nani behind him, and Carrick w/partner further back?

That could certainly work - I just feel that the two of 'em, Kagawa and Özil, are a bit too similar in how they operate: The one out wide would - maybe - not get to use his full register, as it were. And as such, it could be more effective to use a different sort of player in the wide role. In which case they would both end up competing for the same spot - namely the one in the middle. Which would be overkill, in a sense.

But, yes - it could work: Ideally, for me, the players up front should be able to interchange, swap positions, move around across that area of the pitch - and both Özil and Kagawa are certainly capable of that. As is Nani and Welbeck. If we got Özil and Kagawa to develop a real partnership in terms of interchanging and linking up with each other - we'd be looking at something really special.

Ash_G

So, with RVP up front, you'd go with: Kagawa - Özil - Nani behind him, and Carrick w/partner further back?

That could certainly work - I just feel that the two of 'em, Kagawa and Özil, are a bit too similar in how they operate: The one out wide would - maybe - not get to use his full register, as it were. And as such, it could be more effective to use a different sort of player in the wide role. In which case they would both end up competing for the same spot - namely the one in the middle. Which would be overkill, in a sense.

But, yes - it could work: Ideally, for me, the players up front should be able to interchange, swap positions, move around across that area of the pitch - and both Özil and Kagawa are certainly capable of that. As is Nani and Welbeck. If we got Özil and Kagawa to develop a real partnership in terms of interchanging and linking up with each other - we'd be looking at something really special.
Yeah pretty much, I think it would work well if it was inclement end such that kagawa or whoever ends up slightly wide can tuck in, sort of how city and arsenal have lined up but with a top winger as well which is something they've always lacked, well city have navas now. But yh I think that would work well, it's basically what I want to see now but ozil is in for Rooney. In many ways its probably more fluid but it lacks rooneys goals but I think ozil might get more out of kagawa. But tbh in all honesty real would be stupid to sell ozil and ancelotti is too good to make it happen. Ozil is better than modric there without a doubt imo.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
They have signed Isco who plays in his position and they might think he is a slightly bigger talent as well as being spanish, so they won't be weakened as per say. If we indeed are interested in him and also if our interest in Fellaini is real - we could make a real coup and it will definitely make the midfield much stronger as a whole.

P.S - Ozil regularly drifts from the right of the midfield as well, so it won't stop Kagawa getting the games.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
One of my favourite players, would love to see him at United! Having said that a CM should remain our priority.
----Carrick-CM----
Ozil--Kagawa--Nani
------RvP--------

:drool:

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Which players are you talking about specifically? Ozil and fabregas are top quality footballers.

More so the Modric one where several posters started talking about how they would prefer him to Fabregas. Is Ozil out of favour at Madrid or something?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think he is ideal player for us, and even if he is, I wouldn't buy him in favour of shipping Rooney somewhere else anyway, I would always pick Rooney in my team over Ozil. Ozil can be magnificent on his day, but he is way too incosistent for my likeing, invisible in almost every big game(eventhough his statistics in big games are pretty good if I remember well, but again, every other RM player are too), and it would be really interesting to see caf's opinion about him regulary running out of gas around 60-70th minute.

If we sell Rooney, Ozil would be good option of course, but I would rather keep Rooney because I don't think selling Rooney and buying Ozil would improve us at all.

As for using him on the right side, that's his second best position where he doesn't look as half impressive as he looks through the middle, and that would mean playing without real wingers, so no.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't think he is ideal player for us, and even if he is, I wouldn't buy him in favour of shipping Rooney somewhere else anyway, I would always pick Rooney in my team over Ozil. Ozil can be magnificent on his day, but he is way too incosistent for my likeing, invisible in almost every big game(eventhough his statistics in big games are pretty good if I remember well, but again, every other RM player are too), and it would be really interesting to see caf's opinion about him regulary running out of gas around 60-70th minute.

If we sell Rooney, Ozil would be good option of course, but I would rather keep Rooney because I don't think selling Rooney and buying Ozil would improve us at all.

As for using him on the right side, that's his second best position where he doesn't look as half impressive as he looks through the middle, and that would mean playing without real wingers, so no.
A Rooney in good nick - willing and motivated to play in a trio behind RVP - would be better than Özil in a similar role. I think so. Many on here will strongly disagree, though. If Rooney stays and decides to try his best, we could line up with Rooney, Kagawa and Welbeck behind RVP. That could be potentially devastating. But Rooney's motivation isn't exactly a given at this stage. If he wants out - period - we should only keep him if the only alternative is to sell him to Chelsea. And even then, he's likely to leave soon enough. Özil is a very good player and one we could benefit from having for many years.

I'm in the "keep Rooney" camp as of right now. But my stance depends entirely on who we might bring in before the window closes.

Playing without real wingers - compared to what we've been used to under Fergie - may be necessary regardless of personnel: I don't think Moyes will rely as much on width in the shape of traditional wingers as Fergie did. So that argument is neither here nor there for me. Tucked-in, "false" wingers might be the way to go for us under Moyes. Or a slightly lopsided combination: Evra as an ultra-offensive LB and Valencia as a more traditional, line hugging winger on the right. There's no fixed formula, after all - nor should it be.

Bebe

I would be ecstatic if we signed Ozil. Yes, there's positional issues with Kagawa. No, I don't care.

He's a fecking brilliant footballer.

Ash_G

This would be an awesome signing. A gazillion times better than Fellaini

It would be but I could only think it would be Ozil in Rooney out, no way is Ozil being moved deeper and I can't see Kagawa wanting/being comfortable there either. So we'd still have the issue of no back up to Carrick and no quality creative central midfielder, but as I said we would have our Rooney replacement sorted.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would be ecstatic if we signed Ozil. Yes, there's positional issues with Kagawa. No, I don't care.

He's a fecking brilliant footballer.
Exactly. Those are the kind of issues you're happy to have. Ozil is brilliant.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
We would only sign Ozil if Rooney was going although I think Kagawa might be a bit put out. That number 10 spot is supposed to be his, although I think Moyes is very much looking to play an inside left (which Kagawa can do) rather than an out and out winger. Every player we have to play that position (except Giggs) will cut inside.

Nani---------------Ozil---------------Kagawa
-----------------------RvP

Yes Please!
Can't see both Kagawa and Ozil in the same team, for me Ozil is miles better than him.

Ash_G

Can't see both Kagawa and Ozil in the same team, for me Ozil is miles better than him.

No reason it can't work, plenty of players in Kagawa's mold start wide and drift in, as long as the team is set up to accommodate that then I think it could work very well and ideally they could both be floating anyway.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
No reason it can't work, plenty of players in Kagawa's mold start wide and drift in, as long as the team is set up to accommodate that then I think it could work very well and ideally they could both be floating anyway.
Can't see Moyes having 2 floaters in the team, especially away from home.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I don't see why we can't play them both either.. Plenty of others teams do and have.

As much as we all know we need a CM, Cleverley and Carrick have got a good record between them and have shown themselves to be competent in even the bigger matches. It's not the greatest pairing, but it's not as bad as many think.

With Ozil, Kagawa and Nani(?) we have 3 players who can drop, link play, interchange and also run behind. Without playing at CM, they can still add extra control to our game by not simply being kick-and-run wingers.

Ozil is a fantastic player, one of the best in the world - if we can get him, of course we should. He would join our team and arguably be our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.