Álvaro Morata | Chelsea player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

I think I'd rather Morata at 40/50m than Lukaku at the 80m+ he'd cost.

Another Spanish speaker for the squad.

Mainoldo

In fairness, they were probably talking shite back then, just like they are now.
As in disrespecting Welbeck?

Good England scoring record proven in scoring goals in big games, composed on the ball and glimpses of potentially being a composed finisher. Not to mention frightening quick at the time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Good England scoring record proven in scoring goals in big games, composed on the ball and glimpses of potentially being a composed finisher. Not to mention frightening quick at the time.
Doesn't Morata have a 1 in 2 record for Spain, and also was their top scorer at the Euros?
Pretty sure Wellbeck has never scored 15 league goals too

Robbie Boy

From what I've seen, he's far better in front of goal than Welbeck is. I don't rate Welbeck whatsoever and I think Morata looks a far superior player to Welbeck.

The comparisons, from what I can see, are to have a dig at Morata's scoring record and it's not praise for Welbeck.

Robbie Boy

Doesn't Morata have a 1 in 2 record for Spain, and also was their top scorer at the Euros?
Welbeck has 16 league goals in the past 4 seasons. Morata got 15 in 26 (league goals / games) last season. Says it all.

Ban

Love the part about 'glimpses of potentially being a composed finisher.':lol:
Scoring in big games is good also.

He's average as he can be. Comparing him to Morata is a dig at Morata.

Mainoldo

Welbeck has more international goals than Morata. Yes he was top goalscorer, he was also there only striker.

He hasn't scored 15 league goals but he's always injured too. I don't think it would be impossible for Welbeck to have that return in a full season with no serious injuries. He was our player we should be well aware of his problems plus I was talking retrospective to the comment above. Let's not act that at 21 we would not have backed Danny Welbeck in a debate against Morata.

Mainoldo

Aye?!!! Welbeck has not shown composed finishing? England v Belgium was just one that pops to mind.

wythyred

He's class I have rated him since his first stint with Madrid the goals will come in bucket loads if he is played as number 9 consistently.

Robbie Boy

Don't waste your time. There's still some 'cult of Welbeck' members left on here. No evidence will ever convince them that he just really isn't very good and his scoring record is absolutely atrocious.

NotQuiteManc

Welbeck is a good team player but he is not a composed finisher. More of the opposite really. He is more than decent at everything else and can basically play across the final third.

Morata is not yet a composed finisher but based on his stats he is getting there as well as being pretty skilful and pacey for a tall guy. For me, without taking consideration of his preference of weather or cities, he would be a good fit for United. He is probably tactically matured having played for two different big teams. Will suit Maureens counter attack or even when teams park the bus at OT.

Mainoldo

Don't waste your time. There's still some 'cult of Welbeck' members left on here. No evidence will ever convince them that he just really isn't very good and his scoring record is absolutely atrocious.
I'm not part of no Welbeck cult. All the best for him at Arsenal, I wouldn't want him back here. But neither would I want him back here if he had a fully fit season and got 15 league goals. I'm just pointing out obvious similarities, which is why it's silly to laugh because Morata was considered the Spanish Welbeck.

Robbie Boy

I'm not part of no Welbeck cult. All the best for him at Arsenal, I wouldn't want him back here. But neither would I want him back here if he had a fully fit season and got 15 league goals. I'm just pointing out obvious similarities, which is why it's silly to laugh because Morata was considered the Spanish Welbeck.
15 league goals in 26 games? Welbeck could only dream of those numbers. Anyhow, I've not seen enough of Morata to know whether he's the answer to our problems in the final third, but from what I've seen, he looks a very good player who would be a good fit in a Mourinho system.

ZAGREB RED

I think he is a better prospect than Lukaku, might not cost as much either.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Aye?!!! Welbeck has not shown composed finishing? England v Belgium was just one that pops to mind.
Composed finishing by its very definition should be consistent - if it's not, then he isn't calm and composed in front of the goal. Welbeck is not.

Unmutual

Would be very happy with Morata. We really need a straight up striker in the squad. We have far too many players who can do really good stuff 45 yards from goal but who brick it when it comes to actually putting the ball into the net.

POF

Di Marzio said yesterday on his tv show that Mourinho has been calling Morata on the phone everyday to convince him to join united, but the club has yet to make the player an actual offer
Love this. Mourinho is done with football for the summer and is leaving it to Woody to do the deals . . . until he messes it up and Jose has to sort it out himself.

El-Manos

His hearts at Madrid and he should stay there.
This. I don't want anymore players that are 50/50 in it. He either wants to move on and become a key player for a top side in the future or be a rotation option at Madrid, up to him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Di Marzio said yesterday on his tv show that Mourinho has been calling Morata on the phone everyday to convince him to join united, but the club has yet to make the player an actual offer
isn't that stalking?

Hawks2008

We need a striker but I don't think Morata is the guy. Prior to this season he has usually managed around 7 or 8 goals per season, and this past season he played for a dominant, free scoring side where he was surrounded by world class players. His all-round game is sound but I don't think he's the 20 goal a season striker we're desperate for. At any rate I hear he doesn't really want to leave Madrid so if his heart isn't in it we should steer clear.

davidmichael

The more I think about it the more I don't want Morata at all and prefer Lukaku over him, Morata's scoring record for Juve and Real who are two of the top four (with Barca and Bayern) most dominant club sides in world football isn't great so for a team like us who are competitive rather than dominant doesn't appeal to me.

Also people seem to forget who Morata is playing for and the only way Real are going to do business with us is if we sell them De Gea which is far from a fair deal in any way at all, Morata isn't even one of the top ten strikers in the world and is Real's second or third choice striker yet we'd allow the best keeper in the world to leave when he's still not even at his proper peak ?

Infra-red

I think he is a better prospect than Lukaku, might not cost as much either.
Morata is much better technically, Lukaku is more of a predator in the box. It really depends on how we set up - if we're looking to bring a wide forward like Griezmann (or similar) in to play, then Morata is a much better option.

Morata is also much more combative and hard-working and perhaps therefore more akin to Mourinho's prototypical #9.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The more I think about it the more I don't want Morata at all and prefer Lukaku over him, Morata's scoring record for Juve and Real who are two of the top four (with Barca and Bayern) most dominant club sides in world football isn't great so for a team like us who are competitive rather than dominant doesn't appeal to me.

Also people seem to forget who Morata is playing for and the only way Real are going to do business with us is if we sell them De Gea which is far from a fair deal in any way at all, Morata isn't even one of the top ten strikers in the world and is Real's second or third choice striker yet we'd allow the best keeper in the world to leave when he's still not even at his proper peak ?
His goal scoring record is very good. It's just that he wasn't key player for Juventus or Madrid, so was rotated or came from bench a lot.

His mins per goals+assists in last seasons

2014-15:
Serie A: 8 goals + 5 assists in 1321 mins. 101 mins per G+A
CL: 5 goals in 744 mins. 148 mins per G+A

2015-16:
Serie A: 7 goals + 7 assists in 1456 mins. 104 mins per G+A
CL: 2 goals + 2 assist sin 544 mins. 136 mins per G+A

2016-17:
La Liga: 15 goals +4 assists in 1334 mins. 70 mins per G+A
CL: 3 goals + 1 assist in 166 mins. 41 mins per G+A.

harms

Staff
His goal scoring record is very good. It's just that he wasn't key player for Juventus or Madrid, so was rotated or came from bench a lot.

His mins per goals+assists in last seasons

2014-15:
Serie A: 8 goals + 5 assists in 1321 mins. 101 mins per G+A
CL: 5 goals in 744 mins. 148 mins per G+A

2015-16:
Serie A: 7 goals + 7 assists in 1456 mins. 104 mins per G+A
CL: 2 goals + 2 assist sin 544 mins. 136 mins per G+A

2016-17:
La Liga: 15 goals +4 assists in 1334 mins. 70 mins per G+A
CL: 3 goals + 1 assist in 166 mins. 41 mins per G+A.
Plus 1 in 2 for Spain

Mainoldo

Composed finishing by its very definition should be consistent - if it's not, then he isn't calm and composed in front of the goal. Welbeck is not.
Can't believe I have to clarify this. Read what I said. I said he was composed on the ball, I said he should 'glimpses' of 'potentially' being a composed finisher. But picked what suits you along with some others on here.

harms

Staff
Can't believe I have to clarify this. Read what I said. I said he was composed on the ball, I said he should 'glimpses' of 'potentially' being a composed finisher. But picked what suits you along with some others on here.
I'm not sure that you can have "glimpses" of being a composed finisher. Every striker has some goals where he showed composure, so every striker is a potentially composed finisher?

mosmartindb9

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you guys watch other leagues? Lukaku or Belloti are nowhere near Morata. This guy leading the line for you will be on par with Aguero/Kane.
Dribbling, strenght, speed, finishing, big game player, he has it all.

MUFC OK

Don't see him joining without de gea going the other way, same with James etc. Would love to know what mourinho/Woodward are currently doing behind the scenes, if anything at all.

Zoo

He won't go to another Italian club and Lukaku looks closer to joining Chelsea. Bring it home Ed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I can't see how anyone would think Welbeck is a composed finisher. He's a nice player and works hard but lethal finisher he never will be.

Robbie Boy

I can't see how anyone would think Welbeck is a composed finisher. He's a nice player and works hard but lethal finisher he never will be.
He works hard, that's about it. He's a limited player and he really should be at a mid table club; the longer he stays at Arsenal the better, as far as I'm concerned. He's the complete opposite of a composed finisher.

Stacks

Morata has been very good this season, too many people are stuck on his past goalscoring record. Looking at his form this season, his goalscoring rate and overall play has been great. He's better than Benzema but for whatever reason, Benzema continues to start over him. (I guess French/Algerian bias?)
Or perhaps because Benzema has proven himself over multiple seasons, as part of a successful madrid side that has won 3 champions leagues and 2 league titles where as Morata has just been a supersub.
Just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.