Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Evra saying Morata is confidence player = weak mentality. :lol:

Only on CAF.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm not comparing their playing styles. I'm only comparing Morata's possible (hopeful) impact on the team. And I meant 30 goals in all competitions, yeah. Coming in and scoring 30 goals in his first season would be a very successful start.

The point I was making was, we seem to look for the negativity around a transfer unless we were going to sign Ronaldo or Messi. Mbapée is too young, Kane is too expensive, Lukaku's first touch is poor. Morata couldn't break into the Madrid's team ahead of Benzema.

Morata may or may not be a success if he signs for United, but I think we should give him the chance. If 24 year old Ruud was signing from PSV tomorrow we'd all be citing Dirk Kuyt and Depay, saying anyone can score in the Dutch league, he won't cut it in England. Morata is a 24 year old striker who's goals to games ratio in Spain last year was only bettered by Messi. That alone is enough to make me optimistic if he arrives.
To be fair my main objective is his price and probably having better options on the market still around that price tag. Even if we exclude Mbappe, Auba seems to be going for less. Diego Costa is also available as he fell off with Conte and likely to go for less. Icardi also is someone I'd have before Morata and was pretty consistent in the last 3 years at Inter playing for a lesser team than Morata.

Then if you are looking at younger and probably less expensive strikers - Werner has had an excellent season, only 21 - fast, good header, movement etc..

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
So you know for a fact, more than Mourinho that has coached him, that Morata has mentality issues based on quotes from Evra?
For feck sakes, none of us know anything for a fact on this forum, most of it is based off quotes and our opinions.

Only on CAF.
If you need a pep talk about how good you are before matches from uncle paddy, that's pretty much a weak mentality issue.

Woeisme

A few questions

On a scale of 1-10 how much better than Rashford and Martial is this guy?

Would we be interested in him even if there were more options available?

Is 80-85 million for a Real Madrid sub, more or less ridiculous than offering 160 million for a PL golden boot winner?

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
A few questions

Is 80-85 million for a Real Madrid sub, more or less ridiculous than offering 160 million for a PL golden boot winner?
I think a more relevant question is this... Could Rashford or Martial play a bit part season in a double winning team and contribute 20 goals in the process? The answer is, not a fecking chance.

Mainoldo

Only on CAF.
He needs someone to clarify he can actually score goals? Would you like knowing your dentist needs a prep talk before working on your teeth?

RC89

So Mourinho says in the interview with Rio that he doesn't like/understand/work well with weak mentality players and uses it to bench the likes of Shaw and Martial but wants to sign Morata for a huge fee, who he would know has the same mentality issues? Yeah Mourinho is full of utter shit as usual.
You might be right but I interpereted it slightly differently. I thought he meant weak as in, not willing to give everything in a game, not so much confidence in abilty.

Last edited:

Woeisme

I think a more relevant question is this... Could Rashford or Martial play a bit part season in a double winning team and contribute 20 goals in the process? The answer is, not a fecking chance.
To be fair, I don't see how that is a more relevant question. But at least you answered it :)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He needs someone to clarify he can actually score goals? Would you like knowing your dentist needs a prep talk before working on your teeth?
If you need a pep talk about how good you are before matches from uncle paddy, that's pretty much a weak mentality issue.
And? Did you see whether the interview was serious or just tongue in cheek? So you think Evra kept on saying "you are the best" that somehow made Morata confident?

Also who did the pep talk when he was at Madrid?

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
On a team like Real? You'd be surprised.

SoCross

From what little I've seen of him, he seems to be a good finisher with a decent turn of pace and a fairly balanced game. Think he has the tools to be a hit at United.

midnightmare

Umm... Wonder how he managed to score last season then, without Evra to boost him, eh? That was a throwaway comment about a good strong friendship. Move on.

1. You're assuming we'll pay 80-85 Mn...
2. You're assuming they'd sell for 160
3. Kane would also be on the bench in this Real team...and Martial and Rashford would struggle to make the squad.

BigCaine

Just we? I'd say that's the market and we need to accept it. It's not overpaying if everyone is paying similar amounts! For the record, this is the market that's seeing van Dijk priced at 70 Mn GBP! That's practically insane given the past, but this is what the new deals have implied. Belotti for 90 Mn GBP? In this market, Kane would cost well over 150 Mn (easily) and even then, I don't see Levy spending. Also, when it comes to quality forwards, there are almost none available right now. All the best ones are settled and not moving - or are Mbappe. The only ones even remotely likely to move are Belotti, Morata and now Costa. Given how much of a liability Costa can be, that leaves just Morata and Belotti. Who else could we even hope to go for?
Wanting a fee and actually getting one are two different things,no one will pay 70mn for van dijk same with bellotti and morata. CIty bought a brilliant talent for 50-60 mn that is fair fee in today's market 70-80mn is not. Madrid want 60-70mn for james but neither we nor anyone else is biting, that is what happens when you price a player out of a move.

Woeisme

1. You're assuming we'll pay 80-85 Mn...
2. You're assuming they'd sell for 160
3. Kane would also be on the bench in this Real team...and Martial and Rashford would struggle to make the squad.
Not really assuming anything, but Real Madrid have valued him at 80-85 million and they know we need a striker and they're not exactly strapped for cash, so they hold most of the cards on this one.

Spurs may very well not sell Kane for 160 million, I'm only questioning the level of ridiculousness of making the offer versus chasing a RM sub.

Kane being a sub at RM doesnt remove his two PL golden boots.

SirMattBugsby

A few questions

Different type of player but for sure, his finishing is better than both. His game is a combination of physical presence, link-up, running in channels and of course having a pop at goal. None of those qualities are truly world-class but my feeling is he's on the verge of achieving that level. The game against Bayern while at Juve is an example of what he's capable of.

I think we would be interested in him even with other options. Icardi might be better but he is settled at Inter. Morata deserves to be starting for a team on a regular basis, which is something we can sell at the moment. It's not by any means a no-brainer, maybe even a gamble considering the transfer fee and him being a Madrid reject, but Mourinho could convince him that United is the place to be and bring the best out of him.

As for Kane, I find that discussion futile. Kane is not coming here for any price, not this summer anyway. Morata might.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not exactly surprising considering we've been bidding. If people think we would throw 60m at a club to then get publicly rejected by a player is being silly.

jking948

If this is true than I'm pumped. He was by far the best striker on the market, is the perfect Mourinho striker, has shown success and efficiency scoring goals at both Juve and Real, and is young. Hopefully, given time as the starting #9, Morata will evolve into a world class striker.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This doesn't add anything new. It's widely reported we've bid, so the assumption would be he'd probably come once one is accepted. Beef the story up with some old quotes, some 'we understand' and some 'has told friends' and you have a believable looking article.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Matt Law's usually reliable isn't he? I remember him reporting our interest in Morata ages ago.

Jacko21

If we sign him, I think he'll be perfect - so long as he settles in Manchester and doesn't have a partner longing to live elsewhere!

Our Spanish contingent will go a long way to helping him adjust. Spaniards seem to love this city anyway.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
I didn't want him but who am I to decide who Jose signs :D. If Jose thinks he is good enough, he must be good enough. I just hope we complete a transfer as soon as possible.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Needs to be deadly because that's probably the only thing he may lack at his already rich disposal. One thing for sure, he knows pressure of the big clubs and Juve with Real is a one beautiful CV.

Played with Pogba before, probably knows Mata & Herrera and if he'll arrive with James, he'll have plenty of players to link up on the pitch. Whole thing makes some sense probably even for people prefering options like Lukaku.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This has possibly been posted somewhere but anyway..

Gotta love Marcus.
That's a perfect text book answer to such question. It's not a big deal but there are players who can't handle with media at 30 years of age.

His head along with his mentality is in a right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.