Álvaro Morata | Chelsea player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr3yham3

Wouldn't it be better to sign some stop-gap (like Zlatan), give Rashford and Martial more time up from and wait for better options next summer?

For that price we're basically going all-in with Morata and hoping he'll adapt quickly to a new league, develop much further than the level he is right now...that's a lot of assumptions for me, personally.

Juventus thought they'd do better than Morata, Madrid also. I know we're far off those but come on, shouldn't we also try and do better?
Juventus already have Higuain, and I guess everyone knows the players that stand in Morata's way at Real. Trust Jose - I am sure Morata will be a success here.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think he will be a very good signing.

Robertd0803

Giddy now. One of the few times Im hoping Marca actually says something we want to hear.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pleased with that.

If we get get Griezmann in January/next summer we will have 2 great forwards again.

Just need a good winger with service now.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Is he a guy to play alone upfront in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3? I have my doubts. Still think we're signing probably another striker (a poacher) and a winger.

Baxter

Very happy with this. As our lead striker he'll get 20 goals no bother.

gr3yham3

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I'm going to have to go and actually watch some footage of him now aren't I... If this really is happening and he turns out to be shite I am going to hold all the hype merchants to account!

Edit#1: His run up to his celebrations are laboured, awkward and slow. Do.Not.Want

Edit#2: He knows exactly where he wants to place the ball in the net and is not a hit and hope

Edit#3: He can actually head a ball in the goal which is a plus for us. Leaves keepers with no chance.
That's because he is one cool dude.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This transfer progressing well also confirms to me that De Gea will definitely be here next summer. We're negotiating a deal with them, if they wanted De Gea they'd be talking about him non-stop in the press right now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Downgrade on Zlatan? I don't see how that is?!
Zlatan scored his goals but it was not like he had the perfect season or his form was never an issue. Morata is a young, good striker who had a great season. His previous records were not amazing but he was also very young at that time. He seems to be the right type of striker for us / Jose

Adnandos

Weird to make comparisons and complain about not signing a striker as good as Zlatan. There is not a striker in world football who is available that is better than Zlatan. For me, only Lewandowksi, Suarez and Aguero are better strikers than him and those are very obviously not happening. We just have to rely on the team as a whole getting better and scoring more, which will definitely happen with Mourinho getting players to fit his system.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well some people are getting quite excited about this being done. Just remains to agree a fee, so it's not done yet.
Well getting the player on board is the main battle these days. Ed just has to decide how many war chests to open before Florentino caves.

edcunited1878

Wouldn't it be better to sign some stop-gap (like Zlatan), give Rashford and Martial more time up from and wait for better options next summer?

For that price we're basically going all-in with Morata and hoping he'll adapt quickly to a new league, develop much further than the level he is right now...that's a lot of assumptions for me, personally.

Juventus thought they'd do better than Morata, Madrid also. I know we're far off those but come on, shouldn't we also try and do better?
It's a lot of assumptions that Rashford, who isn't 21 and Martial, who hasn't played as a primary center forward for more than two years now, will lead the line for United. There will be another attacking player signed to compliment Alvaro. If it's next year in the name of Griezman, then so be it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Morata is a good player and he has room to improve.

VanGaalyTime

Pros: Strong, fast, good header, strong on both feet, worked with Jose in past.
Cons: Tires quite quickly, very emotional.

Hopefully Jose can work on his fitness and his mental stability. for 60m, that's actually a great deal for United.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Will settle in well with the Spanish speaking contingent already at the club. Good signing.

With an addition of good winger like Douglas Costa and another midfielder, we can once again compete for the league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't much care about signing Morata. He's been very good for Real last season but he still looks a level below our previous strikers (Ibrahimovic, RvP, Rooney).

That said, hes probably the best available in that position (although I think Lacazette is better) and I hope he succeeds.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I've added some threadmarks for those who are wondering why this thread is active all of a sudden.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If Marca is releasing stories about him wanting out, I think Madrid decided to sell.

Just don't want to look like they wanted to sell him.

vodrake

What are their comparative conversion rates?
Looking at Whoscored, just for League goals last season:

Morata: 55 shot 15 goals --- 1 goal for every 3.7 shots on average
Ibra: 115 shots 17 goals --- 1 goal for every 6.8 shot on average

Obviously, doesn't have any comparison by how clear cut the relative opportunities were or such

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791

Hopefully Jose can work on his fitness and his mental stability. for 60m, that's actually a great deal for United.
Let's not call 60m a great deal for someone who is not proven as of yet to be top quality striker for a consistent period.

It's a decent signing given the context of the market

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Are we all ignoring that he was Reals second highest top scorer inspite of playing not much at all?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
usually is the proven goal scoring history over time.
Looking at Whoscored, just for League goals last season:

Morata: 55 shot 15 goals --- 1 goal for every 3.7 shots on average
Ibra: 115 shots 17 goals --- 1 goal for every 6.8 shot on average

Obviously, doesn't have any comparison by how clear cut the relative opportunities were or such
Scoring record looks pretty good to me.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Why moan about the fee?! We have loads of cash! I remember during the Fergie years when everyone moaned that we didn't spend any cash! Enjoy it!
Overpaying means we get ripped off on future deals, which means we don't get to assemble the best possible squad.

PeteManic

??? Redcafe chief scout here or what?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think he will be a very good signing.
Me too. Goes against everything i say about signing from Madrid but i feel that he's still got a point to prove and will do well here. Could be a perfect foil for Rashford too, which the likes of Lacazette and Auba wouldn't be.

If he keeps improving then i could see him having a Torres like style and we know first hand how hard that was to deal with.

gr3yham3

I think Morata will be a great signing.
You mean you think he will turn out to be like Shevchenko 2.0? Wait, you mean the v.1.2.ACMilan one, or the v.2.4.Chelsea one?

Edit: ignore post, I thought you were replying to the Shevchenko 2.0 post prior.

tombombadil

Well from what data i managed to scrounge up, he averages 1.08 goals per 90 mins last season.

For comparison, Ronaldo averaged 0.89~ goals per 90 mins last season and Karim Benzema averaged 0.5~ goals per 90 mins.

I know the numbers probably won't scale up as well if he played more, but quite decent numbers considering a lot of his appearances are substitutions.

For now, just hope for the best I guess. After all, this could wind up like another Ramos saga again. :(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are we all ignoring that he was Reals second highest top scorer inspite of playing not much at all?
In La Liga he averaged a goal every 88mins and a goal or an assist every 70mins. In the UCL he managed a goal every 55mins and a goal or assist every 41mins (OK he only played 167 minutes :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.