‘‘Old Man Cavani’’

A-man

Those years in France and PSG didn’t really cost him much in terms of wear and tear. A superior team that could rotate and dominate matches. Could be one reason Zlatan also is so fit.

Falcow

Those years in France and PSG didn’t really cost him much in terms of wear and tear. A superior team that could rotate and dominate matches. Could be one reason Zlatan also is so fit.
Valid point. PL is likely to be harder on the body over 10 seasons than any other league. Vardy has bucked the trend mi d you....then again he was playi g at a poor standard till mid 20s I think.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No, we got presented with an opportunity that wasn’t available earlier in the window.

Once his demands dropped he was a no brainer, I’m certain we’d have signed him on that deal even if Sancho had arrived.
Oh he was available, but as you say his demands were maybe too high. Last part I can't speculate on. Sancho would've broke the bank for us, probably.

Matst1

Do you think that's why Martial is playing bad? He's sulking cos Cavani's here and instead of being excited to learn, he's taken it the wrong way and wants to be the only number 9. Wouldn't surprise me.

Verminator

I feel I was incredibly disrespectful towards him, by thinking he would be a washed up, has-been, looking for a retirement pot.
He is the hardest working forward at the club.
Shades of Klinsmann. Where even though a big name striker, he set the standard for work rate.

Vernon Philander

You would have thought people would learn their lesson after having massive doubts about Ibra, despite the stellar record across the continent.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Not to us though, at that point a move to Atletico seemed firmly on the cards, for a much higher wage too.
Nonsense. An out of contract player is available. Rumours are meaningless and usually just agent noise trying to get the best deal possible for their client. As it turns out Atletico didn't want him at those prices nor the ones we paid, either.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Would've loved him in his napoli days he was world class.

His attitude and fitness cant be doubted plus it seems he loves scoring the passion he shows in his celebrations.
I used to watch Palermo & Napoli just for him, he was insane. I know he is now PSG’s all-time top scorer etc., but what a waste of talent that was — signing arguably the best striker in the world at the time (he really was that good) just to end up with 2 world class number 9s and stick Cavani on the wing :o

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
No that's easy. Michael Owen.
No way.

I was at OT when Tevez returned in blue, Giggs rolled back the years, Fletch scored a brace and Owen got the winner deep in Fergie time.

I can hardly tell you who the other 7s were. Valencia, Di Maria, Sanchez... Memphis?

FattyFooty

Him beeing subed so early, Ole rates him?

Injury or not use him too much. I hope?

Cavani is great.

Number32

Remember when everyone was calling Ed an idiot for signing him?
Yes, he's an idiot. Imagine if we signed him and Telles in July not September, would be different results against Palace and Tottenham.

Yes, he's an idiot. Imagine if we signed him and Telles in July not September, would be different results against Palace and Tottenham.
In July he wanted at least a 50% higher wage & a move to Atletico @Number32

In July Porto was asking for 100% more money for Telles. He aint worth that.

Being stupid with money was what got us into this situation with LVG and Mourinho spending like kids in a sweet shop. I for one am glad we told Sporting and Porto to piss off with their original prices for Bruno and Telles, and I’m glad we learnt from Sanchez not to go paying players like Cavani utterly ridiculous money.

Spurs wouldn’t have been different, red card killed us there and seeing us lose a week ago to Sheff U, it’s daft to say the Palace result would’ve been any different. We have no idea.

Last edited:

meamth

World class, fit as a fiddle, still in his prime.

What a steal of a signing.
This is 70% prime Cavani. Imagine what he could do in this league if he is younger.

A prime Cavani will bring us the 21st title.

A-man

Valid point. PL is likely to be harder on the body over 10 seasons than any other league. Vardy has bucked the trend mi d you....then again he was playi g at a poor standard till mid 20s I think.
They are both youngsters compared to Zlatan :)

33-34 is getting up in age but if a player is in good shape there is no reason that should be too old. Many top teams have players in that age; Lewandowski, Benzema, Messi, but there are also many of yesterday's best players who were born 87-88 so guess age kicking in for most of them.

Last edited:

pintero

He's been good. Obviously not a typical long term signing. but his fitness and attitude should stretch his contributions beyond his current term. To an extent, I think he's also mentoring our younger forwards by his performance on the pitch in terms of stretching play, making runs into the box, etc.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s mad he was debating just calling it a day and retiring after not being at a club for months, clearly has so much left to give. Brilliant player.

Devil81

Perfect solution during a Covid period that will deny us the chance to buy a world class striker.

Certainly looks like he has the legs for the second year of that contract (should we extend it).

ScarleyUtd

It's so easy to think in our eyes that as you make it as a pro you become driven till your body can't take it anymore.

But it's just not the case. Players that play to the top top level at a latter age in their career have that drive that so few possess. He seems to have that and that might rub off on someone like Rashford or Mason...comparing those two to the attitude of Martial (or from what we see on the pitch) where I personally think he's in it to earn as much as he can while Rashford is in it to beat records etc.

Not saying Martial hasn't got the drive to make it as he's at United and a French international, but I don't personally see that drive in him that I do in others.

That sums up Cavani to another 31/32 who are happy to take the easier route
I noticed your user name. RVN is possibly my all time favourite in a way and he had that same fire. Utd have always had those players and now we're getting it back. I just don't see it in Martial, unbelievably skilled though he is.

johnny1980

Yep i was thinking he might be a busted flush and was not keen on him being signed
Very happy to be proven completely wrong, this guy is the real deal and hope he stays fit all season and scores a hatful
Class act through and through

sunama

Baghdad Bob
worse than Sanchez? Worse than Di Maria?

hmmmm
Di Maria was a top class player. LVG just didn't know how to use him. He made him defend for crying out loud.
When he first joined, we played free flowing attacking football and DM was dynamite....so good that some fans on this very forum could believe that we had such a good player playing for us.

Sanchez was an absolute disaster and without doubt our worst buy (and we have bought many lemons in the last 10 years).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I noticed your user name. RVN is possibly my all time favourite in a way and he had that same fire. Utd have always had those players and now we're getting it back. I just don't see it in Martial, unbelievably skilled though he is.
Agreed on all points.
Even when Martial was being looked at as the reigning Ball on dor, I said to many that Martial would not even make the bench in the 1999 side. All those strikers were better than him. Even a couple of years down the line, I see nothing in Martial that would make me think that he'd make the bench in 1999. I rate Rashford and Greenwood higher than Martial. Cavani is a different type of player but the big thing he has over our current attackers is experience at the highest level, in big games. The guy knows how to unsettle defenders.

Di Maria was a top class player. LVG just didn't know how to use him. He made him defend for crying out loud.
When he first joined, we played free flowing attacking football and DM was dynamite....so good that some fans on this very forum could believe that we had such a good player playing for us.

Sanchez was an absolute disaster and without doubt our worst buy (and we have bought many lemons in the last 10 years).
and you’ve proved my point - you could have a very healthy discussion who has been our worst no 7 since Ronnie. The previous guy was saying it was deffo Owen, you are saying it’s deffo Sanchez, and there are many who can argue Di Maria for the absolute contempt she showed this club. I’ve never seen someone just give up like him.