“All or Nothing” Man City Documentary Series on Amazon Prime

SER19

Mourinho added: "You know, a movie without me doesn't sell much. I needed to be there.

"But if they send me one of the shirts they had in the tunnel when we played there, the shirts that were saying: 'We did it on derby day.'

"If they send me one of these shirts, I give up about the royalties."

:lol: vintage jose

Reddy Rederson

How bittersweet it must be for City fans these days, knowing that your club is being used as nothing more than a branding vehicle for the Abu Dhabi regime.

This documentary is just another way for your parasitic owners to launder their image through your clubs once proud name.
going by the comments on the BBCs HYS, I dont think they care. They are classless, and only care about beating us. The human rights abuses be damned, as long as they spend more and win more than us. And thats pretty tragic.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
That trailer looks like they won the treble ffs :lol:

I get it, City won the league in a great fashion but really? High budget documentary just because they won the league?

Who knocked them out of the CL by 5 goals to 1? It's just embarrassing, just like Jose said you can't buy class.
its been explained in here multiple times but you guys just want to complain.

• they dont know the result of the season before they start filming
  • this isnt a manchester city production, they done multiple programs for multiple sports

SwedishFish

I see that most comments in favour of this documentary series are mainly from the US. Granted they've had similar series about American sports teams but I also feel that it's to do with a sense of club sentiment and culture.

I find it a bit cringeworthy to watch something like this about a rival team or any team for that matter, especially one that is doped up with the Abu Dhabi money that has made City the club it is today. I recommend reading the article linked earlier in this thread in regards to that matter.

These documentaries are no more than fluff pieces made to enhance the brand of corporations and that probably works well with the global audience. The Juventus documentary, for example, was mainly just slow-mo imagery of training/matches with the odd interviews with players etc.

I'm sure there are interesting things to take away from the series, insight into how pep works with his players for example. But it's important that we remain critical of what kind of message that is being portrayed and for what extended cause that might be. Food for thought in times like these when sports and football mainly are being used to heighten any public image for the people who can afford it. It concerns me how the attitude has become more blasé during recent years to the point where I'm myself losing enthusiasm for the game.

Morpheus 7

Mourinho added: "You know, a movie without me doesn't sell much. I needed to be there.

"But if they send me one of the shirts they had in the tunnel when we played there, the shirts that were saying: 'We did it on derby day.'

"If they send me one of these shirts, I give up about the royalties."

:lol: vintage jose
Heard that full presser and couldn't stop laughing when I heard it. That's the Jose I love, city need to be reminded they are small time. Crap club, nice football at the moment but ultimately embarrassing and small time.

SER19

It’s heartening to see some of the responses in here about simply not grasping why a United fan would commit about 7-8 hours to watching a positively biased city documentary, in which they take a petty swipe at united, because of course city just can’t do a single thing without involving united.

I’ve said in another thread that I’m not advocating some braindead automatic hatred of a rival, but the type of new age watered down liberal fandom on show from some here Is pathetic. Ask a Liverpool fan to watch an entire series about us. I wonder what ac Milan fans or any Italian rivals thought of the juventus one? Ask any united fan 15 years ago to watch and enjoy it, and be able to seemingly toss aside any issues with the transparent motive of the film, it’s shallow self propagating production, and fall over themselves because of a few slightly cringeworthy clips of guardiola in a changing room saying bog standard things.

I believe by the way that top managers do their work through weeks and months and through loads of small details and relationships with players and primarily work on the training ground. Those looking for some sort of churchillian dressing room speech are not only naive but also seemingly incredibly easy to please as the short snippets I’ve seen bored the hell out of me- apart from the low shot of guardiola about to embark on his ‘intense’ display where he looks directly at the bloody camera. They might as well have said ‘action!’.

It’s bizarre that adults can’t see that they’re being manipulated by a cynical vehicle for city. Hid behind the simple ‘oh it’s interesting to see any top team behind the scenes’ all you want but you’re willingly selling out. Simple as that.

So far we have learned that:

United get narrated as a park the bus club with it cut with clips of mourinho, while city are being talked up.

There’s a clip where the money men balk at a transfer fee because little old city just can’t afford it.

The aforementioned guardiola stunt scenes.

And this isn’t just a city love fest?

Pathetic from anybody here watching it and worse to come on reviewing it. Football for the streaming generation.

Last edited:

Kapardin

Love Jose's comments.

As for the documentary, the question of watching or not watching it doesn't arise for me as I am not interested in stuff like autobiographies, documentaries, games like football manager and anything outside of what's happening on the pitch anyway. Sounds boring to watch hours of backroom chatter, some of which could even be exaggerated knowing the cameras are nearby.

Silver

No way in hell I'm going to waste my time watching this shite but I find it hilarious that the press and the clips released about it have all been United related - like they're incapable of validating their success without United. And Jose nails this in his interview.

ash_86

Not watching this piece of crap even if it's Oscar worthy.

Member 5225

Tbh I can’t even fathom watching a documentary on Man City.

However if it was a Man Utd behind the scenes / documentary (say, of season we won league and CL in 2008), it’d have been lapped up by most on here. #justsayin

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Let me guess...

The story is about a man who won the league with City (or City that won the league with a man) where the team already had world class players even before the man came and the man improved it further by spending a feckton of money so that He had 5 options for the forward positions and they're all very good players, the team then ran away with the league when his competitors were having an average season.

Last edited:

SER19

I’m personally amazed at how many adults can’t watch a sports documentary for what it is... a sports documentary.
But it’s not a documentary in the true sense of the word. I can say that confidently despite having not watched it. The snippets we have been shown in the media and so on clearly show it is a biased and loaded presentation of Manchester City, one of our biggest rivals, in the best possible light.

Beyond that there is a whole host of reasons that it’s shouldnt be watched or lended any more weight than that absurd fifa one a few years ago. 8 hours is a lot of time, within which a lot can be achieved, it’s not staggering to think many united fans think spending it watching a city love fest is time wasted.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well at least they've got lots of quotes for the dvd cover:

"F*ck am I watching that shit".
- RedCafe poster 1

"I would rather have my bottom braised over the leaping flames of Hell etc etc".
- RedCafe poster 2

"This is why I quit football".
- Bobby Madley

SER19

However if it was a Man Utd behind the scenes / documentary (say, of season we won league and CL in 2008), it’d have been lapped up by most on here. #justsayin
That would have been amazing. And you can be damn sure City and liverpool fans wouldn’t have been watching , much less enjoying or anticipating it.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

No shit? So what you're saying is that Man Utd fans would lap up a documentary about Man Utd filmed over one of the most successful seasons they've ever had?

Quality insights these mate, give us more.

Carolina Red

Staff
But it’s not a documentary in the true sense of the word. I can say that confidently despite having not watched it. The snippets we have been shown in the media and so on clearly show it is a biased and loaded presentation of Manchester City, one of our biggest rivals, in the best possible light.

Beyond that there is a whole host of reasons that it’s shouldnt be watched or lended any more weight than that absurd fifa one a few years ago. 8 hours is a lot of time, within which a lot can be achieved, it’s not staggering to think many united fans think spending it watching a city love fest is time wasted.
I started watching it today. I’ve watched every All or Nothing that’s been put out by Amazon, even the ones on NFL and College football teams that I don’t like.

Why? It’s cool to see behind the scenes of how the teams are coached. I fail to see how it is a “waste of time” just because it isn’t your favorite team. That’s a very narrow outlook on things that I don’t adhere to.

SER19

I started watching it today. I’ve watched every All or Nothing that’s been put out by Amazon, even the ones on NFL and College football teams that I don’t like.

Why? It’s cool to see behind the scenes of how the teams are coached.
Well in that case enjoy, and I have no doubt it will be well made and indeed love behind the scenes sports documentaries myself. One for city in the way it seems to have been done? Absolutely not for me.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

I can understand United fans not watching this. I wouldn't watch a United treble documentary or any highlights of that season. Your comment on United fans lapping up their own success story doesn't make sense. Who wouldn't want to relive past glory.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Surprised to see the strong reactions on here. Maybe it is an American thing as someone pointed out. To me, getting a look at behind the scenes of a professional football team is interesting. Plenty on here saw the Being: Liverpool documentary on Fox Soccer back in 2012, and I didn't recall such an uproar then (Brendan Rodgers portrait hanging in his own house cringeworthiness aside). I enjoyed that as well and even the Behind the Badge series on NBC featuring Crystal Palace back a couple years ago. Looking forward to seeing this myself, and I'm not a City fan at all.

Carolina Red

Staff
Surprised to see the strong reactions on here. Maybe it is an American thing as someone pointed out. To me, getting a look at behind the scenes of a professional football team is interesting. Plenty on here saw the Being: Liverpool documentary on Fox Soccer back in 2012, and I didn't recall such an uproar then (Brendan Rodgers portrait hanging in his own house cringeworthiness aside). I enjoyed that as well and even the Behind the Badge series on NBC featuring Crystal Palace back a couple years ago. Looking forward to seeing this myself, and I'm not a City fan at all.
Same here, I watched all of those as well just because it’s cool to peel back the curtain.

From this All or Nothing, for instance, Aguero reveals that he hangs out with De Gea all the time.

Mr. Ant

its been explained in here multiple times but you guys just want to complain.

• they dont know the result of the season before they start filming
  • this isnt a manchester city production, they done multiple programs for multiple sports
I get that but they chose City because of Pep. I watched one episode and it just is so embarrassing man.

Pep looks like he's on drugs all the time and I just expected more professional approach that's all.

They could have chose Arsenal for example, Wenger in his last season and it would even have drama value, just imagine those cries outside the Emirates and maybe couple of guys from AFTV could have been on as well :D

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
Same here, I watched all of those as well just because it’s cool to peel back the curtain.

From this All or Nothing, for instance, Aguero reveals that he hangs out with De Gea all the time.
Agreed. I have no love for City, but it was really interesting to get a look in behind the scenes.

It also puts into perspectives how us fans jump on the opposition while Fernandinho is good friends with Liverpool's Brazillians, like the DaSilva twins were, and United's most important player hangs out with City's record goalscorer.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Well I for one am glad the Americans are here to tell us how a shiny well produced PR driven TV show aimed largely at them and their sensibilities has devestatingly exposed the glaring tribal flaw in our ancient and outmoded form of fandom.

Carolina Red

Staff
They could have chose Arsenal for example, Wenger in his last season and it would even have drama value, just imagine those cries outside the Emirates and maybe couple of guys from AFTV could have been on as well :D
Based on this thread, shouldn’t I expect an Arsenal documentary to be shunned as well?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Agreed. I have no love for City, but it was really interesting to get a look in behind the scenes.

It also puts into perspectives how us fans jump on the opposition while Fernandinho is good friends with Liverpool's Brazillians, like the DaSilva twins were, and United's most important player hangs out with City's record goalscorer.
Did it show anything about how they use peds?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm certain those guys failed to decipher Pep's Gangnam Style maverick tactical dance...

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool

Why? It’s cool to see behind the scenes of how the teams are coached. I fail to see how it is a “waste of time” just because it isn’t your favorite team. That’s a very narrow outlook on things that I don’t adhere to.
Fair post. I don't plan to watch it but I can understand why one would want to. I guess the negative reactions without watching it are just an expression of the usual football tribalism.

And while we are at that, how I wish the 'Being: Liverpool' one was made now.

Eboue

Well I for one am glad the Americans are here to tell us how a shiny well produced PR driven TV show aimed largely at them and their sensibilities has devestatingly exposed the glaring tribal flaw in our ancient and outmoded form of fandom.
And I for one am glad that the people on this forum who love to tell other supporters what is or isnt acceptable behavior have found yet another thread to express their superiority in.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
And I for one am glad that the people on this forum who love to tell other supporters what is or isnt acceptable behavior have found yet another thread to express their superiority in.
I for one am glad it has turned out to be such a wholesome gladness inducing thread.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm enjoying it so far, but watching it no wonder Pep has these sabbaticals, the guy is just a nervous wreck. I hope it never happens, but I wouldn't be shocked if the dude had a stroke one of these days.

Classical Mechanic

Agreed. Is no love for City, but it was really interesting to get a look in behind the scenes.

Surely you knew the latter already?

It has to be a puff piece. No way the City PR team let’s an independent documentary team have honest access and autonomy over the content.

SER19

I missed this earlier... but they could have read the Caf and ended up saying the same thing in those scenes.
Difference between fans online moaning and sir Ben Kingsley being paid to narrate something city are so heavily involved in for a global audience. Their intentions are clear and embarrassing and when I heard last season the6 we’re doing it I wasn’t remotely surprised, it was the latest box to tick in image presentation 101.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Tbf, if someone would want to make a documentary about a premier league team, why not the one with the highest points total ever.
No point when the club who funded the team isn't grown organically and have a pedigree.

The Norwegian Oil Fund could buy Southampton tomorrow and blow everyone out of the water, still wouldn't make them a big club, or their team a great feat to assemble by the club.

It annoys me how everyone just have come to terms with plasticity. It is like PSG and City have managed to (no pun intended) launder the image, and give you an illusion that they are something more than what they are - a simple construct.

Eboue

No point when the club who funded the team isn't grown organically and have a pedigree.

The Norwegian Oil Fund could buy Southampton tomorrow and blow everyone out of the water, still wouldn't make them a big club, or their team a great feat to assemble by the club.

It annoys me how everyone just have come to terms with plasticity. It is like PSG and City have managed to (no pun intended) launder the image, and give you an illusion that they are something more than what they are - a simple construct.
You're from Norway! You didn't do anything for Manchester United. You just liked what you saw and got on board. You watched a good team win a trophy and thought "I want to see more of that". It's incredible that people like you and me, with no local connection to the club, get all indignant about stuff like this.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
You're from Norway! You didn't do anything for Manchester United. You just liked what you saw and got on board. You watched a good team win a trophy and thought "I want to see more of that". It's incredible that people like you and me, with no local connection to the club, get all indignant about stuff like this.
No, you are wrong. As opposed to Murica' we have a PL tradition that goes back to 1969 when we got our first televised PL game in Norway, the first country outside of the UK. My grandfather supported United, my father and now I.

And no, I am not indignant about City per say, since it was bound to happen with the money flowing in the PL, actually I find it strange that there aren't more sugardaddies.

What I am indignant about though is this collective willingness to paint them as something more than they are, another PSG in a more attractive league.

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
No, you are wrong. As opposed to Murica' we have a PL tradition that goes back to 1969 when we got our first televised PL game in Norway, the first country outside of the UK. My grandfather supported United, my father and now I.

And no, I am not indignant about City per say, since it was bound to happen with the money flowing in the PL, actually I find it strange that there aren't more sugardaddies.

What I am indignant about though is this collective willingness to paint them as something more than they are, another PSG in a more attractive league.
Hiring Pep was a masterstroke in that regard. The pretty football and media fanboyism around him helps drown out the billion pound investment into just squad personnel.

Football is just a business at the end of the day sadly and the romance of the game is dying out. Its why we all cling to the homegrown player, or the manager who understands what we want from the team we support. I doubt 50% of the City squad even knew this club existed 10-12 years ago. They were that shite.

Since this thread started, they likely had a 10% increase in commercial revenue too. Organic growth at its finest.

SER19

That’s a pretty archaic view of football. Yes it’s natural that as the game emerged the bigger teams were the ones to attract the imaginations of foreign countries, which is why certain team names resound all over the world.(in every sport or indivudual sport) Man united, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, ac Milan, inter Milan etc.

There are rare occasions when for whatever reason a smaller club will have one of these bizarre fan bases like the phillipines stoke city fan club but largely, the established clubs will always reach a wider fan base. This is not to encourage some sort of old boys club and several teams in recent years have threatened to upset the apple cart. Tottenham are becoming more and more popular, Arsenal were massively popular and remain to be especially after their emergence with wenger in the 90s (they also had lots of history which helps), but their success was achieved organically. Leicester city had the entire world rooting for them in recent years, unfortunately they basically got dismantled and the romance died with it but had it not I’m sure their fan base would grow globally too.

Football is the most global sport in the world, and the premier league is hugely popular. Because a fan lives overseas does not mean he or she is any less connected to a club than some guy who lives in Salford and moans about mourinho on line all day. That’s what sport is about and despite footballs continued selling out to money and commercialism some people are still massively bound to a club for romantic reasons and can support them passionately from anywhere in the world. I’m not from Manchester but I grew up loving them, I’ve been a season ticket holder and will be again when I return from working in a part of the world that I wake up at 4am to watch and never miss a game. In fact, few things in life are important to me as man united. But I’m not from Manchester so I have no right?

Once the imagination is captured by a club, you will support it as well as anybody. Man City have bought imaginations and continue to try with multi million pound propaganda.

Football fans are absolutely entitled to be indignant about first, the manner of city’s emergence and more recently the manner of how they have responded to success. They are a small time petty club without class, who happen to play good football at the moment. This football though -does not outweigh their toxic role in the modern game. So go on, watch their documentary and eat it up- it’s what they’re paying for. But I’d hold back on lecturing a person you don’t know about the limits of his or her capacity to support a club.