“Joke of a club”

Are there that many people really saying this?

I think almost everybody can see we are going in the right direction. Pre season was disrupted sure but its a handful of wind up merchants saying stuff like 'joke of a club', and then a load of people jumping up to show what top fans they are by getting upset by it.

Wilt

To be fair, they spent 60m on Mahrez then benched him for a season.
I don’t think the same will happen with Grealish but I wouldn’t be surprised.
I don’t see that happening with Grealish.

Even though City’s squad is deeper than the Channel Tunnel and excepting resting the occasional game, surely to god Pep has to start him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:
Feck me, I hate our fanbase
I have no doubt that few posters just copy tweets and posts them here. Or atleast their source of info is some FC accounts (banter accounts) on twitter

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I have no doubt that few posters just copy tweets and posts them here. Or atleast their source of info is some FC accounts (banter accounts) on twitter
I’d definitely agree with that. The quality of discourse & analysis of our games has gone down, people either rely on stats to verify if someone had a good game/season - or like you said, get their opinions from football twitter

crossy1686

career ending
Whenever I see threads like this, it makes me aware that there's a section of our support that need the rival fans or Talksport pundits opinions to be positive about United before they will agree someone is good.

All that "Bruno isn't world class" shit chat is what I constantly see from Chelsea fans for some reason, I don't even know why United fans are out here repeating it. You need help if you care what those bellends think about our players

Martial

Anyone who rates Grealish over Bruno at this point should genuinely follow another sport because clearly football isn't for them.

Highfather_24

Bruno and Grealish are both top top midfielders. Distilling their performances down to just goals and assists is asinine. As is the logic of "Bruno is amazing, so Grealish is average" or vice-versa. You can appreciate both Bruno and Grealish, while having a personal preference of a style of play.

Just because I prefer Dias over Maguire, doesnt mean Maguire is crap, or that as a United fan you have to say otherwise to prove you are a top red on redcafe. Someone can like Grealish more, that doesnt diminish Bruno's importance/ability. I always like Berbatov more than Rooney, despite Rooney being a far more superior footballer. But nowadays if you dare prefer another player you will have people frothing at the mouth. To get offended over it is so childish.

United just spanked Leeds 5-1 and you have fans immediately quoting other people from weeks back, because they got triggered over a difference of opinion. Zero nuance, just neanderthal-esque takes of "hurr durr Bruno good Grealish bad" or viceversa. Kinda sad, tbh.

But nowadays if you dare prefer another player you will have people frothing at the mouth.
I can prefer James Maddison over KDB , doesn’t mean it’s a good opinion to hold, especially if City fans were claiming they’d happily swap KDB for Maddison; or that Maddison is “far superior”, they’d righly be called out for being off their tits.

Now he’s at a top club, there may come a time in the next season or two in which Grealish > Bruno becomes a legit opinion, but right now it’s bonkers.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’ll have you know I’m a well paid in my profession. I own my own house in a country that has a housing crisis due to how expensive they are, I own multiple cars, take many weekend breaks and holidays away and I’m typing this out on my iPhone 12 pro of which I bought 3 last month for myself Girlfriend and niece.
Look at @cyberman being able to afford to have a have a well paid job in his profession and own his own house in a country that has a housing crisis due to how expensive they are, while owning multiple cars and taking many weekend breaks and holidays away and typing this out on his iPhone 12 pro of which He bought 3 last month for himself Girlfriend and niece.

Highfather_24

I can prefer James Maddison over KDB , doesn’t mean it’s a good opinion to hold, especially if City fans were claiming they’d happily swap KDB for Maddison; or that Maddison is “far superior”, they’d righly be called out for being off their tits.

Now he’s at a top club, there may come a time in the next season or two in which Grealish > Bruno becomes a legit opinion, but right now it’s bonkers.
I've seen United fans say they would prefer Williams over Shaw. Football fans are fickle, and I dont think the gap between Grealish and Bruno is as big as Maddison and KdB, but its subjective yes.

I can only speak for myself, and I've said before I think Bruno is the best #10 in the world and I wont even swap him for Messi, but that doesnt mean he is a better player than Messi. Sometimes you prefer watching an arguably "inferior" player play because of their style of play. Like I explained why I preferred watching Berbatov over Rooney. I can see why someone might prefer watching Grealish play, as he's style of play is more aesthetic, he glides with the ball. Bruno is much more lethal goalscorer though, and in terms of chance creation they are almost the same. I would get the outrage if someone body said they would rather have Lingard over Bruno, but Grealish isnt some outrageous claim(although not a claim I would make).

My larger point being, its silly getting worked up over differences of opinions like this, when its obvious that both Grealish and Bruno are top players, and preferring one over the other is not a scathing indictment of the other's ability. Its okay if somebody chooses not to cheerlead for the player in your own favourite team.

Last edited:
I've seen United fans say they would prefer Williams over Shaw. Football fans are fickle, and I dont think the gap between Grealish and Bruno is as big as Maddison and KdB, but its subjective yes.

I can only speak for myself, and I've said before I think Bruno is the best #10 in the world and I wont even swap him for Messi, but that doesnt mean he is a better player than Messi. I can see why someone might prefer watching Grealish play, as he's style of play is more aesthetic, he glides with the ball. Bruno is much more lethal goalscorer though, and in terms of chance creation they are almost the same. I would get if someone body said they would rather have Lingard over Bruno, but Grealish isnt some outrageous claim(although not a claim I would make).

My larger point being, its silly getting worked up over differences of opinions like this, when its obvious that both Grealish and Bruno are top players, and preferring one over the other is not a scathing indictment of the other's ability. Its okay if somebody chooses not to cheerlead for the player in your own favourite team.
No-one is getting with “worked up”. The OP starts with a laugh at two things:

1) the ridiculous uproar on Friday about our “joke of a club” not confirming Varane before the start of the PL.
These people got themselves so worked up into such a state with zero knowledge of the actual situation. I’m sure they all agree now they were daft as hell and that United played a blinder with that unveiling.

2) Throughout the Summer plenty of United fans in the Grealish thread have said they’d swap Bruno for Grealish. It’s as though they’ve forgot just how important Bruno is for this team.
Yesterday made a joke of that too.

We surely can have a laugh at that right?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

1) the ridiculous uproar on Friday about our “joke of a club” not confirming Varane before the start of the PL.
These people got themselves so worked up into such a state with zero knowledge of the actual situation. I’m sure they all agree now they were daft as hell and that United played a blinder with that unveiling.

2) Throughout the Summer plenty of United fans in the Grealish thread have said they’d swap Bruno for Grealish. It’s as though they’ve forgot just how important Bruno is for this team.
Yesterday made a joke of that too.

I’ll answer: Yes, yes we can.

Highfather_24

The Varane thing is indeed pathetic, but the Grealish thing like I explained is lacking nuance.

Ehh, seems more salty than laughing, but hey, you do you. To have this "discourse" after such a huge win just seems weird to me but okay.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bruno scored a hattrick. Well done, it's a good achievement, but his overall display wasn't amazing. Pogba, for instance, a much more influential display. Will not be at all surprised if Grealish has a stellar debut tomorrow in terms of performance, not just numbers.
:lol:

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Looking from the outside, the behaviour and self-loathing of some United 'supporters' just seems weird.

Over the last 3 or 4 years that I've been reading this forum I've seen people slagging off De Gea, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, even Bruno to a certain extent at the end of last season. And I don't just been a bit of venting after missing an easy goal or giving away a penalty, which all supporters do, I mean a proper concerted, persistent attacking of them.

And they're your best players, I haven't mentioned the horrible abuse of the likes of Dan James, Jesse Lingard or Phil Jones.

In fact the only player I haven't seen being attacked is Mason Greenwood. But he's young so just wait until he misses a couple of sitters or goes on a barren run.

And the funny thing is you actually have a really likeable squad of players who clearly get on well together and love playing for the club, and an extremely likeable manager.

Yet the abuse that your players and coaching team repeatedly get from your own so-called supporters is on a different level than anything I've seen before.

I don't know if it's the same at other big clubs, I'm not really interested in the likes of City or Chelsea or Liverpool so I don't visit their forums, but somehow I doubt it.

Now I don't think by any stretch that it is all United supporters but there is definitely a significant minority that don't seem to like anything about the club, and I suspect it's mainly those supporters who started following the club during your successful years under Sir Alex, but still never actually go and watch them play and so have this sense of entitlement which to be honest comes across to everyone else as rather arrogant.

You have a great infrastructure, the best manager you've had since SAF, a fantastic squad of players and a great chance of a successful season. So drop the bitterness and just enjoy the ride.

Reactions: roonster09

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I cant help but wonder at what point a certain amount of quality control needs to come into play to protect a forum. Can't speak for anybody else, but for me last seasons 'avoid the forum after a match if we do anything less than crush the opposition' has now evolved into 'just avoid the forum after a match'.

Seems that was a good decision because its hard to imagine a better opening day than yesterday, from Varanes unveiling beforehand right through to the post match scenes. It was perfect really, yet still this place is at war. Agendas are more important than the football now

Pickle85

Bruno scored a hattrick. Well done, it's a good achievement, but his overall display wasn't amazing. Pogba, for instance, a much more influential display. Will not be at all surprised if Grealish has a stellar debut tomorrow in terms of performance, not just numbers.
Surely a parody post

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I cant help but wonder at what point a certain amount of quality control needs to come into play to protect a forum. Can't speak for anybody else, but for me last seasons 'avoid the forum after a match if we do anything less than crush the opposition' has now evolved into 'just avoid the forum after a match'.

Seems that was a good decision because its hard to imagine a better opening day than yesterday, from Varanes unveiling beforehand right through to the post match scenes. It was perfect really, yet still this place is at war. Agendas are more important than the football now
IMO good posters shouldn't stop posting, they should make use of Ignore function.

wolvored

to the ones saying how poor Bruno was yesterday; Lets hope he can play that poor every game!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Looking from the outside, the behaviour and self-loathing of some United 'supporters' just seems weird.

Over the last 3 or 4 years that I've been reading this forum I've seen people slagging off De Gea, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, even Bruno to a certain extent at the end of last season. And I don't just been a bit of venting after missing an easy goal or giving away a penalty, which all supporters do, I mean a proper concerted, persistent attacking of them.

And they're your best players, I haven't mentioned the horrible abuse of the likes of Dan James, Jesse Lingard or Phil Jones.

In fact the only player I haven't seen being attacked is Mason Greenwood. But he's young so just wait until he misses a couple of sitters or goes on a barren run.

And the funny thing is you actually have a really likeable squad of players who clearly get on well together and love playing for the club, and an extremely likeable manager.

Yet the abuse that your players and coaching team repeatedly get from your own so-called supporters is on a different level than anything I've seen before.

I don't know if it's the same at other big clubs, I'm not really interested in the likes of City or Chelsea or Liverpool so I don't visit their forums, but somehow I doubt it.

Now I don't think by any stretch that it is all United supporters but there is definitely a significant minority that don't seem to like anything about the club, and I suspect it's mainly those supporters who started following the club during your successful years under Sir Alex, but still never actually go and watch them play and so have this sense of entitlement which to be honest comes across to everyone else as rather arrogant.

You have a great infrastructure, the best manager you've had since SAF, a fantastic squad of players and a great chance of a successful season. So drop the bitterness and just enjoy the ride.
Excellent post.

We are very entitled as a fanbase.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
No it isn't :lol: Grealish is 5 years older and hasn't achieved close to what Sancho has. He hasn't had a single full season on par with any of Sancho's 3. Get out of here.
Thats your opinion. If you dont have the ability to accept there is a debate on who the better player is, or who will have the best season you can get out yourself. As of today people are very divided on this, even in here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thats your opinion. If you dont have the ability to accept there is a debate on who the better player is, or who will have the best season you can get out yourself. As of today people are very divided on this, even in here.
It's not an opinion stating that despite being 5 years older, he hasn't had a single full season on par with any of Sancho's 3. That's just fact based on any applicable metric. You have an opinion that Grealish is more talented and will produce something that he hasn't shown yet for more than 3-4 months in his career. That's an opinion based on potential, which I disagree with. Not to mention when talking about suitability for United given Grealish doesn't get ahead of Bruno ever and he can't play on the right unlike Sancho.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Grealish is massively overrated but a good player nonetheless.
Yeah, he's very good. The suggestion by some of our own fans that he's somehow on a different planet compared to Bruno is outright fantasy, however. Their per 90 stats are virtually identical, same as with de Bruyne. They're the 3 best creators in the league who are in a league of their own.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
It's not an opinion stating that despite being 5 years older, he hasn't had a single full season on par with any of Sancho's 3. That's just fact based on any applicable metric. You have an opinion that Grealish is more talented and will produce something that he hasn't shown yet for more than 3-4 months in his career. That's an opinion based on potential, which I disagree with. Not to mention when talking about suitability for United given Grealish doesn't get ahead of Bruno ever and he can't play on the right unlike Sancho.

I didnt say your statistical facts are an opinion did i ? You quoted me with its not a debate on the Grealish vs Sancho topic. You need a whole more than that saying its not. When there is a strong disagreement between people on a subject there is always a debate to be had.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

I didnt say your statistical facts are up for debate did i ? You quoted me with its not a debate on the Grealish vs Sancho topic. You need a whole more than that saying its not. When there is a strong disagreement between people on a subject there is always a debate to be had.
What's the debate though? Who is a better signing for United is not up for debate(mainly due to positions they play and what we need). Who has shown more in their careers despite the 5 year age gap isn't up for debate either. So there shouldn't be much of a debate on a United forum over who United should have signed, because it is a very straightforward answer being Sancho. People love Grealish because for some on here he reminds them of Beckham even though they are nothing alike, and thought he was going to eventually play for United. But he's massively overrated as he hasn't actually done much in his career despite almost being 26. He's a very talented player but he has to actually do something with his talent to get the praise he does, so until that, I'll continue to disagree with that.

lloyd2wayne

Wow, speechless. I know this isn’t RAWK but the mods sometimes have to block people like this. No need for such negativity

tomaldinho1

Anyone who said they’d take Grealish over Bruno should stop watching football.
We need to make sure this forum doesn’t become some rose tinted place where alternative opinions aren’t accepted. Bruno is class, Grealish is class, they are very different players but if someone prefers one or the other that’s fine.

Personally I wouldn’t swap Bruno for anyone but if someone strongly thinks Grealish is better, why does it rile people up so much?

bosnian_red

We need to make sure this forum doesn’t become some rose tinted place where alternative opinions aren’t accepted. Bruno is class, Grealish is class, they are very different players but if someone prefers one or the other that’s fine.

Personally I wouldn’t swap Bruno for anyone but if someone strongly thinks Grealish is better, why does it rile people up so much?
Because this is a United forum and it's not actually based on what they do over a season on the pitch, and just part of the culture of negativity that has erupted among United fans since Sir Alex retired, not appreciating what you have. And it's plain wrong.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
What's the debate though? Who is a better signing for United is not up for debate(mainly due to positions they play and what we need). Who has shown more in their careers despite the 5 year age gap isn't up for debate either. So there shouldn't be much of a debate on a United forum over who United should have signed, because it is a very straightforward answer being Sancho. People love Grealish because for some on here he reminds them of Beckham even though they are nothing alike, and thought he was going to eventually play for United. But he's massively overrated as he hasn't actually done much in his career despite almost being 26. He's a very talented player but he has to actually do something with his talent to get the praise he does, so until that, I'll continue to disagree with that.
The debate is Who is the better player ? Who will have the best upcoming season.? Who made the best purchase ?

Im not saying your arguments are wrong. I respect your opinion, and i hope Sancho turns up to be the purchase. However from what i`ve seen from both i prefer Grealish. I think he is the best player of the two atm, and has already proved how good he can be in the PL and on the national team. Sancho needs to take that step as well. His numbers are awesome at Dortmund, but its a different league in a different team compare to Villa. Anyway my 3 posts for today are up so i wont be able to answer you in a while:)

Sweet Square

It's a Manchester United forum.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
I think the lesson is to not to constantly whinge on the cafe, and then it can’t be thrown in your face. Easy.
Agreed. The unfounded negativity on this board has gotten out of control. No problems at all with this thread.

bosnian_red

The debate is Who is the better player ? Who will have the best upcoming season.? Who made the best purchase ?

Im not saying your arguments are wrong. I respect your opinion, and i hope Sancho turns up to be the purchase. However from what i`ve seen from both i prefer Grealish. I think he is the best player of the two atm, and has already proved how good he can be in the PL and on the national team. Sancho needs to take that step as well. His numbers are awesome at Dortmund, but its a different league in a different team compare to Villa. Anyway my 3 posts for today are up so i wont be able to answer you in a while:)
Sure you can debate those 3, but it's not a debate over which one United should have signed, yet many on here tried to do so without any logic of squad planning. And I really don't see how Grealish has proven himself for the national team. What exactly has he proven? He's done feck all for England! Are we talking about 1 half decent sub appearance in the euros and some friendly performances? That's not proving yourself on the national stage.

Sancho has proven himself in the Bundesliga far more than Grealish has anywhere (especially in the championship where Grealish spent most of his career). And Sancho has shown his great quality against top teams in the Champions League as well. Grealish has a way to go.

tomaldinho1

Because this is a United forum and it's not actually based on what they do over a season on the pitch, and just part of the culture of negativity that has erupted among United fans since Sir Alex retired, not appreciating what you have. And it's plain wrong.
It's a Manchester United forum.
Yes and naturally we will talk about (positively and negatively) our own players more. But if someone turns round and wants to debate player ability - which is a big part of this forum - you can’t just have blanket statements about how x is better than y and not accept people might think differently.

There are some trolls on here but you can just spot their posts a mile. Use the ignore button and this place is phenomenal.