Gaming 1836 - The Europa Universalis 4 Experiment (Hands-off) - Map & stats in second post - Final Map and Stats update - Timelapse video

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Final stats update

Prestige (still struggling over failing to crush the revolution)
  1. 100 - Samid
  2. 90 - BD
  3. 69 - Solius
  4. 42 - RedSky
  5. 36 - Salt Bailly
  6. 23 - altodevil
  7. 5 - hobbers
  8. 3 - Walrus
  9. -4 - V.O.
  10. -21 - Shakesey
  11. -28 - Abizzz
  12. -30 - adexkola
  13. -32 - P-Nut
  14. -35 - Andycoleno9
  15. -43 - Wing Attack Plan R
  16. -51 - Eboue
  17. -56 - PSV
  18. -61 - VeevaVee
  19. -71 - BootsyCollins
  20. -85 - AnotherLondonManc
  21. -87 - Igor Drefljak
  22. -90 - KirkDuyt
  23. -95 - SilentWitness
  24. -100 - Organic Potatoes
Simply the best.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I survived! What a weak finish after an alright start. How did I end up on 0 navy :lol:

At least I was somehow fairly rich.

Do I have a few spots of land dotted around there?

Good work @nimic
You had some small overseas colonies for a long time, but at the end you were all tapped out and only had the single province. That explains the lack of a navy too, since it was inland.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
B D South Africa is beautiful

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Well, I may be weak, poor and insignificant, but at least I was the emperor for most of it.

AnotherLondonManc

I feel like the end came just in time for me. We really gave a good go of it, but our ambition was the death of us. We were just unlucky to have been sandwiched between Solius and Hobbers. It was only going to end one way.

Thanks for putting this all together nimic! Was a blast

hobbers

Been a truly epic saga. Not for me obviously, I just obliterated everyone.

Abizzz

Good stuff. My dynasty also ruling @altodevil must surely mean I win !

Wish there was a way of returning this last map and relations to 1444 and fight it out for true supremacy.

hobbers

Good stuff. My dynasty also ruling @altodevil must surely mean I win !

Wish there was a way of returning this last map and relations to 1444 and fight it out for true supremacy.
We need to take the surviving empires and turn them into colonies in Stellaris.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
:lol: That’s a fitting end to Evertonia. Surviving….just and at the very end.

Abizzz

I mean, I could do like a bonus thing later where I just run the game for 200 years or something overnight and see who wins. Probably China though.
Sounds great but don't feel pressured or anything to do it. This must have taken a lot of your time already. Was a entertaining thread!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Every country's best province
  1. 72 - Derby - altodevil
Never thought I'd ever read that, ever.

Think Solius and Hobbers were the two true super powers in this. Happy with how my story turned out, managed to keep hold of North America and a nice little chunk of Europe.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Great work nimic. It would be interesting to run the simulation again with the exact same starts for everyone, just to see how different things end up (not doing updates, just seeing how it looks in 1836)!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Great work nimic. It would be interesting to run the simulation again with the exact same starts for everyone, just to see how different things end up (not doing updates, just seeing how it looks in 1836)!
that would be interesting to see how random it really is.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
that would be interesting to see how random it really is.
a huge amount can be determined by simply the initial rivalries and alliances (which are normally weighted, when it’s actual historical countries - eg France and England will almost always rival each other, whilst Aragon and Castile are “historical friends” and so likely to ally). Many guides for more difficult nations will suggest restarting the game until you have certain rivalries/alliances at the start.

In our case, because it’s not historical nations, it would likely be really random. The web of alliances in Iberia and GB would probably be different, leading to someone else gaining the ascendancy. The RNG of who becomes the holy Roman emperor would be a factor, as would which idea groups each country picks first, and where the institutions spawn.

So yeah, there is a fair bit of RNG in the first 50-100 years. After that point the larger nations tend to be well established and begin to snowball. Also, the differing regional tech groups and unit types means the Europeans will naturally have significant advantages over everyone else as time goes on, as will the colonisers.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Following the above, in my case I knew I would be strong in the early game, but progressively weaker as the game went on as I wouldn’t be able to colonise, and using the Muslim units rather than Western ones. Really my only chance to get strong was to weaken Hobbers early on, and then push East into Persia and India as fast as I could. In practice though, it’s a low probability chance of success, whereas anyone towards the Atlantic is likely to be able to set up some colonies and boost themselves, almost guaranteed.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Following the above, in my case I knew I would be strong in the early game, but progressively weaker as the game went on as I wouldn’t be able to colonise, and using the Muslim units rather than Western ones. Really my only chance to get strong was to weaken Hobbers early on, and then push East into Persia and India as fast as I could. In practice though, it’s a low probability chance of success, whereas anyone towards the Atlantic is likely to be able to set up some colonies and boost themselves, almost guaranteed.
This is true for sure. But there were also 9 players who didn't make it to the end at all, and several of those were on the Atlantic. You had a pretty good chance, but your AI did the thing that crashed a lot of empires this game, and got involved in wars on behalf of small allies. You probably only needed one war where you fought hobbers with the Timurids for it to be very different.

I thought I'd try to run it to 1836 again, just to see how different it will be. BD immediately allied RedSky and Solius, while Crackers allied Shakesey. The Italians also allied each other again. I ran a quick test game with this setup before running the full thing (to test whether I needed to add colonists or not), and I think Solius and BD were allied there too. I wonder if there's something more going on than just random chance.

I'll get it to 1836 over the next few days and post the alternate universe map (no updates or anything, I'm not a psychopath). And just to be clear, our run was the only true run. This is just a mere imitation.

Wing Attack Plan R

This was a fun thing to read, my best performance in a game ever. Thanks for the effort and color commentary. I know it’s Europa but picking Cairo didn’t seem to make my nation really be involved with the grind of history, kind of like real life. Makes me wonder if the game has parameters it can’t go beyond, such as, why didn’t any African nations try to invade Europe? It would be fun to see a “game” that follows exactly what did happen in Europe, to see how alliances and marriages and holy wars altered the map. I wonder, too, if the game could take everything as happened up to a certain year, say 1666, and then make small modifications to see how the world would be different today. Like if London did t burn down in 1666 etc. This game looks fun but too dangerous, like you could disappear into it with all the machinations. Thanks again for running and reporting it!

nimic

something nice
Scout
This was a fun thing to read, my best performance in a game ever. Thanks for the effort and color commentary. I know it’s Europa but picking Cairo didn’t seem to make my nation really be involved with the grind of history, kind of like real life. Makes me wonder if the game has parameters it can’t go beyond, such as, why didn’t any African nations try to invade Europe? It would be fun to see a “game” that follows exactly what did happen in Europe, to see how alliances and marriages and holy wars altered the map. I wonder, too, if the game could take everything as happened up to a certain year, say 1666, and then make small modifications to see how the world would be different today. Like if London did t burn down in 1666 etc. This game looks fun but too dangerous, like you could disappear into it with all the machinations. Thanks again for running and reporting it!
It's less Europe-centric than the previous games in the series (it's called Europa Universalis after all), but no AI African nation (excepting perhaps the Mameluks in Egypt, who you basically replaced) is ever going to be able to invade Europe still. Asian countries often do better than historically, though.

You were definitely the least connected to wider European affairs of everyone. You were mostly just content to do your own thing, and until close to the end the others were content to let you.

Wing Attack Plan R

It's less Europe-centric than the previous games in the series (it's called Europa Universalis after all), but no AI African nation (excepting perhaps the Mameluks in Egypt, who you basically replaced) is ever going to be able to invade Europe still. Asian countries often do better than historically, though.

You were definitely the least connected to wider European affairs of everyone. You were mostly just content to do your own thing, and until close to the end the others were content to let you.
This description fits for me in many ways.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Tell digitalnirvana he's a gentleman and a scholar who I've never said an unkind word about, unless the reason he's no longer around is that he said or did something terrible, I can't remember.

Timelapse video (Europe + World)

nimic

something nice
Scout
I did a thing. It's nothing big, just a timelapse video. Don't ask me how long it took me to get the years in.

Okay I'll tell you, it took a long time. I haven't tried to make or edit a video since I was making CS frag-movies with my pirated Sony Vegas when I was 14.

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If we can just stop watching at about 1600 then that’s great

hobbers

If we'd kept going I would definitely have taken over Europe and South America