19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
He's been warned and threadbanned.
He did not read the room well, but he made fair points in the „Is the US a third world country“ debate and, while his post about the statistical likelihood of school shootings may be insensitive given that emotions are naturally running high, it was clearly the intention to rationally weigh pros and cons of living in the US.

There are a lot of bad faith answers and insults to his posts, including calling him „sub-human“, that are not called out publically or marked as inappropriate, interestingly. These are odd standards of moderation.

fergies coat

It's so disheartening because you know nothing is going to get done about it. You look at these Internet comments from some of the Americans and thier arguments are.

Did we ban planes after 9/11?

Cars kill people should we ban them?

People die in swimming pools should we ban them?

At least you don't get stabbed to death like in the UK.

Nothing will ever change.

Stevondo8

It's so disheartening because you know nothing is going to get done about it. You look at these Internet comments from some of the Americans and thier arguments are.

Did we ban planes after 9/11?

Cars kill people should we ban them?

People die in swimming pools should we ban them?

At least you don't get stabbed to death like in the UK.

Nothing will ever change.
Pretty sure there’s a stat doing the rounds saying more people die from stabbings in USA per capita than in UK too, so that argument doesn’t really carry much weight (irrelevant as it is).

CraftySoAndSo

And yet folks will say we get paid for being off half the year (we don't, our pay is for 9 months and spread out over 12) and they'll say they don't trust us to teach curriculum to their kids without indoctrinating them to be gay commie space hippies yet will also eventually ask us to add gun toting special forces operator to our teaching credential.

It's stupid.
I'm sorry it's like that and i'm surprised America has anyone left still willing to do the job. Your job should just be to help, nurture and educate children so they can grow up to become scientists or mathematicians or whatever they want to become. You shouldn't have to worry about your safety and even potentially be a cop yourself if the far right get their way and arm teachers, it is ridiculous.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Almost. The tenet is that you keep your finger away from the trigger until you're ready to shoot. I didn't notice it at first, probably because of his tiny hands, but every time he cycles the bolt he pulls the trigger as well.
Yeah, he dry fires it every time. If he has that move as instinctual now, that seems like it would be hard to break.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wouldn't it be Congress that would call for an investigation in something like this?
President can (& should in this case) use the bully pulpit to spur on an investigation, grease the skids for a House investigation, etc.

Really an unforced error to not have said something by now.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm sorry it's like that and i'm surprised America has anyone left still willing to do the job. Your job should just be to help, nurture and educate children so they can grow up to become scientists or mathematicians or whatever they want to become. You shouldn't have to worry about your safety and even potentially be a cop yourself if the far right get their way and arm teachers, it is ridiculous.
You'll be unsurprised to know that the teacher shortage gets bigger every year.

And they keep asking "why is this happening?!?!?"

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I know he’s a figure of fun at this point but it’s staggering how insane he sounds. Just take a moment to think about this. An armed guard at the front door of every school in America. That’s the country that him and the people who vote for him want to live in. My God.
I don't even think he wants that, but he doesn't want to do anything remotely close to gun control. That's why we get these absolutely batshit solutions when the most obvious one to change can't be because it is defended with their lives*.

*Unless their lives are actually in danger, in which case they take their big tough gun and run away like a bunch of fecking pussies.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I read that somewhere too. You can't argue against a gun enthusiast. It's like talking to a brick wall.
I'm not sure if this guy's stats are perfect but I've seen several posts that say per capita is worse in US for knives/sharp weapons.

But even if the UKs was worse per capita, imagine THAT being your justification for not listening to other countries who say the USs gun laws are a fundamental reason for mass murder of children?!

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
27 school shootings in the USA this year so far alone. Over 220 mass shootings.

No other country even comes close. The vast, vast majority of countries sit on 0 thankfully.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ehh, the article literally mentions there is an investigation already going on.
Yes, but to fall back to ‘back the blue’ at this stage when everything is fluid is subpar. I understand the politics of it but it is a bit of an unforced error.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I know the Stoneman Douglas ones did some national protesting but I'm amazed there isn't some countrywide protesting à la BLM from young people.

They've got the nous and the social media presence to organise.

Perhaps if people saw millions of young people demanding action....

....who am I kidding? Nothing would change.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The unfortunate takeaway by the right from the presser will be that a teacher had propped the exit door open & that’s where the shooter ingressed.

Camilo

I agree. We should be able to have on open discussion about wether it is bad or not, if a bunch of children gets shot. Who’s to say who’s on the right side here? Gotta here out both sides, not just the people who don’t want kids to get slaughtered.
Nobody said that. You're not helping anyone being like that.

Carolina Red

Staff
The unfortunate takeaway by the right from the presser will be that a teacher had propped the exit door open & that’s where the shooter ingressed.
Yep... and what folks don't realize, and what I can't emphasize enough, is how common it is to have an unsecured door somewhere on a school campus. Either due to some mundane thing like a teacher running an errand out to their car, or a student sneaking out and wanting to sneak back in. It's just always a possibility.

frostbite

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...08866f4c2be7e6#block-6290fcac8f08866f4c2be7e6

Texas officials: 'No excuse for not tackling shooter'

The head of the Texas department of public safety has said “there’s no excuse” for officers not trying to break into an elementary school classroom where a gunman was killing 19 students and two teachers.

Steven McCraw was facing questions over law enforcement’s response to Tuesday’s shooting at Robb elementary, at a lunchtime briefing.

Reporters wanted to know why law enforcement officers waited outside for about an hour while the killing continued, and before a Swat team eventually breached the classroom and shot the killer dead.

“It was the wrong decision,” McCraw conceded.

“The on-scene commander at the time believed it had transitioned from an active shooter to a barricaded subject,” he said, adding the commander thought “there were no children at risk”.

“Obviously, based upon the information we [now] have, there were children in that classroom at risk”.

Asked about a “40-minute gap” in which 911 operators were aware children were alive, but officers still didn’t go in, he added:

The decision was made that this was a barricaded subject, there was time to retrieve the keys and wait for a tactical team … that was the decision, that was the thought process.

With the benefit of hindsight, of course it was not the right decision, it was the wrong decision. Period. There’s no excuse for that.