2011 Women's World Cup

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
All joking aside about the quality of women's football (and while its not great, I don't think its as bad as some people here are making it out to be), its refreshing to watch a football game where the players aren't rolling around at the slightest touches.

The goalkeepers are awful though. I spoke to a friend who used to play the position at a relatively good level and she said something about having to protect their breasts and thus not being able to play quite like men. Can't remember though, wasn't quite listening.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have watched 3-4 matches so far and it's refreshing to watch football without too much time wasting, cheating, theatrics and the shit stuff that goes in the men's game.However women are technically far from the men, I was surprised by all the heavy and bad touches from them.I did expect technique to be an area where women would be really good but I've been disappointed (by supposedly the best women teams) tbh.
I'm not gonna mention keepers cause it's been done plenty already

MacMUFC

The quality of women's football is horrendous, quite frankly. I've tried sitting through a match, but its just awful.

Dyslexic Untied

I have watched 3-4 matches so far and it's refreshing to watch football without too much time wasting, cheating, theatrics and the shit stuff that goes in the men's game.However women are technically far from the men, I was surprised by all the heavy and bad touches from them.I did expect technique to be an area where women would be really good but I've been disappointed (by supposedly the best women teams) tbh.
I'm not gonna mention keepers cause it's been done plenty already
This.

I get slightly annoyed when people say that female footballers are so much worse than the men just because they are smaller and slower.

The difference in basic technique (trapping a ball, passing a ball, kicking a ball cleanly etc.) between men and women is staggering.

Laphroaig

I'd be shocked if the women were as technically good as men. There are so many more men/boys who play, they play professionally, they have the best coaches, etc.

Anyway, did anyone watch Norway? I don't know a lot about Ekv Guinea, but I would've expected Norway to win by a larger margin.

kouroux

It just shows that I lacked knowledge of the state of the woman's game.I didn't expect them to be on par with men in terms of basic technique but at least a little bit better.
However it's nice to see football without a lot of interruption due to cheating, referee abuse, injury feigning.It's nice to know the woman's game isn't corrupt (yet)

kouroux

:lol::lol: this Germany vs Nigeria was a funny match.The worst referee I've ever coupled with some reckless challenges from both teams (the Nigeria team more than Germany tbh).
Technically and tactically it was a nightmare, no construction of play.Just endless running and tackling

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
England v New Zealand today at 5pm (on the BBC red button for those interrested).

Also, looks like England striker Aluko got "Gibsoned" on Twitter.
From the BBC:
England striker Eniola Aluko has described the personal criticism she has received on Twitter following the 1-1 draw against Mexico as "poisonous".

The 24-year-old, who missed a hat-trick of second half chances, angrily responded to some of the tweets.

"It's part of the game but I don't particularly like negativity being directed at me, I think some people go a bit far," she told BBC Sport.

"It is quite poisonous and does affect me."

Aluko, a law graduate who plays her club football for the American team Sky Blue, has scored 11 goals in 56 international appearances, including three in the European Championship two years ago.

"When I'm in a World Cup you need to keep a positive frame of mind and head onto the next game," she added.

"I don't need poison being directed at me so there's a time when I might say something back.

Continue reading the main story I'm not going to beat myself up. The best strikers in the world miss as well as score
Eniola Aluko
"I'm a human being. If someone walked up to me and said something I think is out of order and not objective I might respond.

"I'm very passionate so there are times when I might have to tell people to save your negativity for somebody else. I don't need it right now".

England face New Zealand in their second Group B game in Dresden on Friday, and Aluko is determined not to dwell on the opportunities she failed to take against the Mexicans in Wolfsburg.

"I'm not going to beat myself up over the chances I missed. The best strikers in the world miss as well as score," she said.

"I might get two goals in the next game and I'm a hero. The main thing is getting into those positions. I was disappointed not to put one of those chances away but it happens.

"It's sometimes difficult to understand why people don't get behind the team - they're so quick to jump on the bandwagon and criticise - just get behind us.

Continue reading the main story If you put words on a social network they are there for ever aren't they
England coach Hope Powell
"It feels like people love the negativity - I'm not interested in people who've probably never kicked a ball in their lives."

Aluko is not the first footballer to receive negative comments on the social networking wesbite.

Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson quit his account within hours after receiving abuse from other users, and Bolton captain Kevin Davies is another player who decided to stop Tweeting for similar reasons.

But despite the criticism, Nigerian-born Aluko says she will not be doing the same.

"I don't need to get off Twitter - a lot of these people hide behind their computers and make comments and yet they're the same people asking for your autograph, so it's not a big deal," she added.

Click to play
Highlights - Mexico 1-1 England
"I responded to two people and I saw about 15 comments so there's a lot of people I ignored too which takes a lot.

"I find it annoying. I've now changed my phone so I don't get notifications so it's up to me whether I see it or not."

She also appreciates that incidents like this are more likely to occur following a boost to England's profile in the build-up to the World Cup.

"Bad press is sometimes good press - we're getting huge media attention and there's huge expectation on us so we've had a taste of what the men go through," she said.

England coach Hope Powell said: "Personally I don't use [sites like Twitter]. At times I'm sure they can be quite flattering and at times I'm sure they can be quite damning so I think the players need to be careful.

"What you say can go into the public domain and you can't retract it. You just have to be sensible but it's their choice - the thing is if you put words on a social network they are there for ever aren't they?"

New Zealand lost 2-1 to Japan in their opening match, but Aluko believes England will face a difficult game.

"They're very physical but we're aware of their strengths and how we can exploit them. It's a must win game but hopefully we'll take that pressure on and perform."

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
England beat us in a friendly not so long ago behind closed doors 3 0 and there was a recent 0 0 draw somewhere as well.

Anderson8

Apparently there was a similar incident in the Australia vs Equatorial Guinea game...but not given..

United87

I sat down to watch Match of the day after the Mexico England game, great, but I was dissapointed that they only showed the highlights of that match and not the others.

Most football fans will watch any type of football, especially during the summer months, I think it hasn't been given enough exposure by the media.

MG

Typical that this thread is full of ridiculous comments, I knew it would be.

Is it really hard to believe that women's football isn't on the same level as men's? When girls aren't given anywhere near the same training or encouragement, then the game has absolutely nowhere near the same money and exposure (and we're really talking nowhere near here). There's about 1 article on the last page of every sports paper with a couple of paragraphs on the game for the women's game, for the men's game there's months and months of hype and round-the-clock coverage. Also, a very small amount of women choose to play football, very small, whereas nearly every boy in the country is in some team at some stage. Talent pool way, way smaller. It's like Liechtenstein being compared to a country with a population of over 100million.

It can never get to the same level as the men's, obviously, definitely not, but it could be a hell of a lot better if some men just let go of this mental block they have towards women getting involved in football. Part of the reason it's not good is because it's so frequently pushed to one side and given no attention. Remember the big hoo-ha about a woman just being on the lines, or a commentator ffs? So many men just can't deal with it, typically. Get over it. Some women like football. Big deal.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism

Is it really hard to believe that women's football isn't on the same level as men's? When girls aren't given anywhere near the same training or encouragement, then the game has absolutely nowhere near the same money and exposure (and we're really talking nowhere near here). There's about 1 article on the last page of every sports paper with a couple of paragraphs on the game for the women's game, for the men's game there's months and months of hype and round-the-clock coverage. Also, a very small amount of women choose to play football, very small, whereas nearly every boy in the country is in some team at some stage. Talent pool way, way smaller. It's like Liechtenstein being compared to a country with a population of over 100million.

It can never get to the same level as the men's, obviously, definitely not, but it could be a hell of a lot better if some men just let go of this mental block they have towards women getting involved in football. Part of the reason it's not good is because it's so frequently pushed to one side and given no attention. Remember the big hoo-ha about a woman just being on the lines, or a commentator ffs? So many men just can't deal with it, typically. Get over it. Some women like football. Big deal.

Lichtenstein would beat a women's team 88-0.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

People aren't going to give it as much respect if it's sub standard though.
And quality doesn't come from people giving it respect and it isn't hampered by men slating it. All football skills (or any skill) come from natural ability that is built on at an early age. Once you're being picked up by professional coaches you're already going to be a pretty special player so you can't really say it's down to lack of coaching.

I think if the technique and skills were better then there would be a more genuine reaction. And you can't blame that on sexism or the media not giving it exposure.

Anyway, back to beach volleyball I go....
(I kid)

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Good read.

Women´s football is still shit. :)

Peasplease

We should make a modified version of football for women. Like what softball is to baseball and what netball is to basketball. Something not too physically taxing but simple enough for their smaller brain to be able to comprehend. We could allow hands to be used and lessen the time of the match so they still have time to complete the housework for their husbands generous enough to allow them to play.

I'd be interested to hear your views, MG, on this IMO very necessary adaptation.

Unam333

Gif of the above incident

Women's Football
A similar thing happened in the Germany-South Korea game. It just looks so stupid and embarrassing. What's up with female footballers using their hands to catch a ball? Head or kick it away stupids!

kf

We should make a modified version of football for women. Like what softball is to baseball and what netball is to basketball. Something not too physically taxing but simple enough for their smaller brain to be able to comprehend. We could allow hands to be used and lessen the time of the match so they still have time to complete the housework for their husbands generous enough to allow them to play.

I'd be interested to hear your views, MG, on this IMO very necessary adaptation.
Seems like they already allow that...

Scrumpet

There are no words
A similar thing happened in the Germany-South Korea game. It just looks so stupid and embarrassing. What's up with female footballers using their hands to catch a ball? Head or kick it away stupids!
She clearly thought play had stopped. No one above four years old would pick a ball up and casually walk away in an attempt to clear the damn ball!

Joey Mac

He scores goals, galore. Betfair "Refer and E
She clearly thought play had stopped. No one above four years old would pick a ball up and casually walk away in an attempt to clear the damn ball!
Still fecking stupid given that she was standing inside the area and the ball had rebounded off the woodwork. I don't know which of the 2 incidents you were talking about, but this applies to both.

I've never seen this happen once in all the years I've watched football. The closest is players handling the ball when they believe they've been fouled but the ref hasn't blown, remember Giggs specifically doing that once. But that has happened here within days in the one tournament where there is any level of coverage. Twice.