2011 Women's World Cup

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The level of play in the Women's World Cup has been very good.

Many of you are simply used to the PL, CL or WC level football.

I have to put up with the MLS and watching Canada compete internationally and I must say that the German, French and American women's teams have been very good.

Some of the German women can literally cross better than the Canadian men's teams.

I think most people on this site are United fans and not fans of football in general.

Ferguson

I think that you can't separate imagination, technique and footballing intelligence from athleticism, speed and strength. You have to be able to have the power and quickness to execute first, before you can imagine doing something.

It is not an accident that Rooney's strength and speed result in his having more intelligence and imagination on the pitch. Do you really think he is simply smarter than other players?

Tevez and Messi have a low center of gravity coupled with lightning quickness and strength. Is it an accident they are technically gifted as well? I'm not saying that every player with those physical attributes will be as good as Messi. I'm just saying that certain physical gifts are a prerequisite, or a platform, if you will, upon which the player can build their technique and imagination.

I've watched Women's soccer in the U.S. for many years. I will even sit and watch the Women's pro league games when I'm bored during the course of the year. They come on the soccer channels I pay for. I enjoy the game, especially players like Mia Hamm, Michelle Akers or these days Marta who are head and shoulders above their fellow players. But the fact is that the Women's game is slow, less technical, and less imaginative. I put this down to the physical difference between men and women, even if football does not make use of the upper body.

There was a time when women's tennis was lacking in technical variety. It was just endless baseline rallies, except for a few muscle-bound serve-and-volleyers like Navratilova or Novotna. Then the racket technology was changed, enabling the women to have the strength and power to do things which they couldn't do before. Now men's tennis is sometimes a boring serving exhibition, where the women play more rallies, have more variety and have more breaks of serve.

Perhaps women's soccer, like women's basketball in the U.S., needs a different ball or a smaller pitch, or a shorter match like women's tennis, in order to allow women to close the athletic gap and play a game as interesting or more interesting than the men.

LLMU

So far, i have really sit and watched the England - NZ game. In terms of technical skills, women players actually lacked behind their male counterparts but in terms of players endurance, the women players seem to be able run around the whole game without much fuss. Alex Scott, the right back for England was galloping up and down the right touchline the whole game. And the same goes to Ali Riley (quite a stunner too) who plays on the right for New Zealand. And i can't believe i knew the name to two women players

Justin

The level of play in the Women's World Cup has been very good.

Many of you are simply used to the PL, CL or WC level football.

I have to put up with the MLS and watching Canada compete internationally and I must say that the German, French and American women's teams have been very good.

Some of the German women can literally cross better than the Canadian men's teams.

I think most people on this site are United fans and not fans of football in general.
Hell, just been watching the Mexico/NZ match and had me thinking what Vidic could do with some of NZ's corners. Quite sad actually that these female players could deliver a more decent corner that what we've been putting up with all season.

AgainstAllOdds

Typical that this thread is full of ridiculous comments, I knew it would be.

Is it really hard to believe that women's football isn't on the same level as men's? When girls aren't given anywhere near the same training or encouragement, then the game has absolutely nowhere near the same money and exposure (and we're really talking nowhere near here). There's about 1 article on the last page of every sports paper with a couple of paragraphs on the game for the women's game, for the men's game there's months and months of hype and round-the-clock coverage. Also, a very small amount of women choose to play football, very small, whereas nearly every boy in the country is in some team at some stage. Talent pool way, way smaller. It's like Liechtenstein being compared to a country with a population of over 100million.

It can never get to the same level as the men's, obviously, definitely not, but it could be a hell of a lot better if some men just let go of this mental block they have towards women getting involved in football. Part of the reason it's not good is because it's so frequently pushed to one side and given no attention. Remember the big hoo-ha about a woman just being on the lines, or a commentator ffs? So many men just can't deal with it, typically. Get over it. Some women like football. Big deal.
That's a bit of an overreaction if I be quite honest. You seem to think that there is some mental block which makes us perceive women's football as shite and boring, while it actually is shite and boring.

You see the only thing we have to compare is mens football (unfortunate for you thay monkeys do not play football) so in comparison to what I'm used to seeing and I perceive as football, when I see something like that then I'm obviously not going to be entertained and I'm obviously going to brand it as shite and boring. I could only bear to watch 10 minutes of it.

Generally girls still support Man UTD because they think Beckham is still playing for us and now they think they have a shot at Giggs.
This last part is obviously a joke.

VP

I think that you can't separate imagination, technique and footballing intelligence from athleticism, speed and strength. You have to be able to have the power and quickness to execute first, before you can imagine doing something.

It is not an accident that Rooney's strength and speed result in his having more intelligence and imagination on the pitch. Do you really think he is simply smarter than other players?

Tevez and Messi have a low center of gravity coupled with lightning quickness and strength. Is it an accident they are technically gifted as well? I'm not saying that every player with those physical attributes will be as good as Messi. I'm just saying that certain physical gifts are a prerequisite, or a platform, if you will, upon which the player can build their technique and imagination.

I've watched Women's soccer in the U.S. for many years. I will even sit and watch the Women's pro league games when I'm bored during the course of the year. They come on the soccer channels I pay for. I enjoy the game, especially players like Mia Hamm, Michelle Akers or these days Marta who are head and shoulders above their fellow players. But the fact is that the Women's game is slow, less technical, and less imaginative. I put this down to the physical difference between men and women, even if football does not make use of the upper body.

There was a time when women's tennis was lacking in technical variety. It was just endless baseline rallies, except for a few muscle-bound serve-and-volleyers like Navratilova or Novotna. Then the racket technology was changed, enabling the women to have the strength and power to do things which they couldn't do before. Now men's tennis is sometimes a boring serving exhibition, where the women play more rallies, have more variety and have more breaks of serve.

Perhaps women's soccer, like women's basketball in the U.S., needs a different ball or a smaller pitch, or a shorter match like women's tennis, in order to allow women to close the athletic gap and play a game as interesting or more interesting than the men.
Eh? I take it you haven't watched any men's tennis for the last 2 years.

You're definitely in a minority, no one watches women's football for the same reason no watches sunday league matches. The gulf between men and women in sport has to be the largest in football. I don't think many women actually play football compared to individual games like tennis and golf, which is the problem.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
After watching a few games I'm fairly confident in the fact that women are generally better at crossing than men.They regularly whip in some fantastic balls, they really have gotten the technique.I've seen better crosses from women than PL players (even United players).

Oh and today a Brazilian player scored this fantastic goal

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
After watching a few games I'm fairly confident in the fact that women are generally better at crossing than men.They regularly whip in some fantastic balls, they really have gotten the technique.I've seen better crosses from women than PL players (even United players).
Because they have more more more more time for the crossing.

PL is the fastest league in the world > Women`s football is slow

championo

Top Stalker
I think Sweden's 18 is losing her hair. She should contact Rooney.
My God, the lineswomen in this game have been atrocious. They have called off two offside decisions against Sweden that is just criminal.

Dyslexic Untied

I disagree with most of this.

Being a smart footballer is about the ability to read, understand and predict movement on the pitch. It has nothing to do with physical ability. You mentioned Rooney who happens to be a quick and strong player. What about Scholes or Modric? They don't have any special physical presence. Yet they are brilliant footballers, smart and able to move the ball along.

A low centre of gravity obviously helps you dribble and balance. As does speed. But the difference in techique between women and men isn't about centers of gravity. Everyone has a center of gravity, some have it lower than others - I imagine regardless of gender.

The difference in technique between men and women isn't best shown by comparing dribbling skills and players like Messi. You have to look at the basic technique. Look at how a player strikes a ball, traps a ball, passes and shoots. That is where the big difference is, and it is not down to physique. It is down to other things: smaller pool of players, less culture for playing football outside of organised trainings, less training etc.

I do however agree that a smaller pitch might be a good solution. Would quicken up the game for sure.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
To be honest the standard in this game is markedly higher than some of the earlier games. Impressed. Still 0-0.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Not unenterprising that hoof-ball tactic against France here.

davisjw

England are playing exactly like the men: Misplaced easy passes and booting the ball as far away from goal as possible.

France unlucky to go into the half without a goal.

Drifter

American
25 minutes to hang on and do what the men only dream of a world cup finalist.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Good thing for England that the keeper is tiny and can't jump. A pretty tame shot, but the same goal as men with smaller, less athletic female keepers will give you that.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
The goalies always seem to be the weakest aspects of women's football.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I did like when there was some minor pushing between two players because the French player dived, and the female commentator described it as 'handbags'.