g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
All I see is a pandering attempt at wit from someone glaringly witless. Some dork cooked bacon on a gun barrel.

As for the model of the gun, I don't expect you'll find a gun that hasn't been used to perpetrate some sort of senseless murder.

If Cruz told the funniest joke in the world, would you have an ear for it coming from him? Honestly, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.
Exactly, glaringly witless, yet funny to some. Go figure.

brad-dyrak

Yeah, I guess I was never much into the cutesy banter. Why on earth would you even care?
I wouldn't presume to speak for Eboue (that way lies madness), but just myself, and this isn't aimed at you in particular. In the CE there's this endless and time honored group-think tradition of being at liberty to go point scoring with the most generalized snarky and caustic comments about "'Murica, amirite?! :lol:" . Could be just a perceptual skew on my part, and I'm sure I could do with a thicker skin, but it's so incessant that it's exhausting and for me it instantly devalues any post it's been tacked on to, and by extension, that poster.

By most measures a country is a poor way to characterize a group of people, let alone 300 million of them. Better to speak to a group that's self-organized and self-identifies by their beliefs or behavior. If you've an issue with fat, gun toting, tea party racists, then have a go at fat, gun toting, tea party racists, and I'll happily get my kicks in as well.

I lurk here quite a bit and like to click through many of the news and data links, but rarely post as it so often seems pointless. So much of the tone isn't to inform or convince, but rather to vent one's spleen or register moral indignation. Folks posting here seem to have already made up their minds, with it being all certainty and no equivocation. So there really is no debate to be had. It really seems to have become a norm in eDiscussions and comment sections.

I should shut up and go back to lurking.

Nobby style

I wouldn't presume to speak for Eboue (that way lies madness), but just myself, and this isn't aimed at you in particular. In the CE there's this endless and time honored group-think tradition of being at liberty to go point scoring with the most generalized snarky and caustic comments about "'Murica, amirite?! :lol:" . Could be just a perceptual skew on my part, and I'm sure I could do with a thicker skin, but it's so incessant that it's exhausting and for me it instantly devalues any post it's been tacked on to, and by extension, that poster.

By most measures a country is a poor way to characterize a group of people, let alone 300 million of them. Better to speak to a group that's self-organized and self-identifies by their beliefs or behavior. If you've an issue with fat, gun toting, tea party racists, then have a go at fat, gun toting, tea party racists, and I'll happily get my kicks in as well.

I lurk here quite a bit and like to click through many of the news and data links, but rarely post as it so often seems pointless. So much of the tone isn't to inform or convince, but rather to vent one's spleen or register moral indignation. Folks posting here seem to have already made up their minds, with it being all certainty and no equivocation. So there really is no debate to be had. It really seems to have become a norm in eDiscussions and comment sections.

I should shut up and go back to lurking.
That´s the point, people are for the most part taking the piss out of Republican `murica. How can you not? In what other country do major politicians make ads like those? It´s not moral indignation (god I hate that term), more like a wtf sense. Finding him silly or even funny aside, Ted Cruz is a vintage American creation and he thrives there, especially nowadays. He´d probably get 45% of the vote if he won the candidacy. People are fascinated by American politics and to a large extent, blown away by these people, hence the popularity of this thread. Showing Ted Cruz´s ads is not so much venting as informing, convincing, imo, that this is really happening in America. It is. And it´s fecking weird. Americans or American lovers might find it incessant and exhausting and be morally indignated by the posts or the poster, but I think loads of people find America itself incessant, exhaustive and excessive, (yet morbidly fascinating) and devalue anyone American or American cheerleaders. Unfortunate.

On the other hand, Obama seems to be quite well liked, or at least tolerated here, so there is another side of the coin.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you take off the partisan glasses, its quite clear Cruz and Graham's ads were clever, out of the box attempts to specifically designed to draw attention to themselves since Trump has stolen the narrative and other candidates are stuggling to get a word in edgewise, in a media enviornment that's fixated on stalking Trump's every comment. No one actually cares if Cruz eats bacon cooked on an AR15 muzzle or if Graham routinely takes a sledgehammer to his phones. They are all just light hearted attempts at attention in light of Trump sucking all the oxygen out of the rest of the field.

Nobby style

I´m not sure what glasses you are wearing (red, white and blue tinted?), but to find Cruz´s ad as clever, or funny, than we are on two different planes. I don´t think in a day and age of so much gun violence (especially what the AR 15 has come to symbolize), that a serious presidential candidate should be using those symbols to be funny or clever. Pretty disgusting. Cruz was not being light hearted pumping out those rounds from his AR 15. I´m surprised you don´t get it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
If Trump and his people are smart he will let the attacks from other candidates roll off him and not respond in kind. Everyone is expecting the car-crash but if he does well and sticks to debating then he could pick up a lot of support.

He won't be able to help himself though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If Trump and his people are smart he will let the attacks from other candidates roll off him and not respond in kind. Everyone is expecting the car-crash but if he does well and sticks to debating then he could pick up a lot of support.

He won't be able to help himself though.
Its almost that people expect such a car crash that anything short of him having a mental breakdown might actually be seen as him doing ok
still I'm hoping he slaps someone with his wig

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I´m not sure what glasses you are wearing (red, white and blue tinted?), but to find Cruz´s ad as clever, or funny, than we are on two different planes. I don´t think in a day and age of so much gun violence (especially what the AR 15 has come to symbolize), that a serious presidential candidate should be using those symbols to be funny or clever. Pretty disgusting. Cruz was not being light hearted pumping out those rounds from his AR 15. I´m surprised you don´t get it.
You still don't get it do you. They are looking for attention from within their respective political constituents - ie Republican voters. It doesn't matter if they bunjee jump off the grand canyon, fry up bacon on an automatic weapon, or juggle in a clown costume - they are looking for out of the box ways to get noticed in lieu of Trump taking the spotlight.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
You still don't get it do you. They are looking for attention from within their respective political constituents - ie Republican voters. It doesn't matter if they bunjee jump off the grand canyon, fry up bacon on an automatic weapon, or juggle in a clown costume - they are looking for out of the box ways to get noticed in lieu of Trump taking the spotlight.
Exactly right. Trump is (for lack of a better word) Trumping his opposition every time he speaks. He just gets more and more outrageous. All the other Republican candidates have to be even more outrageous just to grab some airtime and take the attention away from Donald. Huckabee's attack on the Iran deal is a perfect example of this. He doesn't really think the Iran deal is bad, he himself said years ago that negotiation, sanctions and deals were the only way to resolve things, or get some kind of sanity in the region. He can't say that though, because he is trying to get the GOP nomination.

Nobby style

I get it, I get it. Look for attention to deflate Trump. It´s not rocket science. It´s the manner in which you seek out attention, isn´t it? I would agree Lindsey Graham smashing the cell phone to take the piss out of Trump´s idiocy can be taken as light hearted or even clever. But Cruz pumping out rounds from a semi automatic Ar 15 and frying bacon on it just seems dickish and as one poster put it, "glaringly witless." Fair play to you to find it clever and funny. I guess we´ll have to agree on our differing sense of aesthetics and humor.

Maybe I´ve missed it, but is Cruz taking some kind of "shot" at Trump as Graham is doing, or is it just taking the piss out of those appalled by American gun violence and gun culture. What is Cruz´s point? To be a bigger dick than Trump? To jump on some bandwagon?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I get it, I get it. Look for attention to deflate Trump. It´s not rocket science. It´s the manner in which you seek out attention, isn´t it? I would agree Lindsey Graham smashing the cell phone to take the piss out of Trump´s idiocy can be taken as light hearted or even clever. But Cruz pumping out rounds from a semi automatic Ar 15 and frying bacon on it just seems dickish and as one poster put it, "glaringly witless." Fair play to you to find it clever and funny. I guess we´ll have to agree on our differing sense of aesthetics and humor.

Maybe I´ve missed it, but is Cruz taking some kind of "shot" at Trump as Graham is doing, or is it just taking the piss out of those appalled by American gun violence and culture. What is Cruz´s point?
I don't find Cruz's spot clever or funny, I just see it for what it is - an attempt to get attention. The ad isn't meant to appeal to your or I, its meant to appeal to Republicans who may be inclined to consider Cruz as a viable candidate during the primaries. And its not taking the piss out of gun violence or gun culture, since gun ownership is enshrined in America's historical DNA, so a politician cozying up to gun nuts can't really be considered particularly surprising.

Nobby style

I don't find Cruz's spot clever or funny, I just see it for what it is - an attempt to get attention. The ad isn't meant to appeal to your or I, its meant to appeal to Republicans who may be inclined to consider Cruz as a viable candidate during the primaries. And its not taking the piss out of gun violence or gun culture, since gun ownership is enshrined in America's historical DNA, so a politician cozying up to gun nuts can't really be considered particularly surprising.
Thought it was funny as well, much like Graham taking a sledgehammer to his phone after Trump published his number.
Not sure what you mean.

ravi2

Maybe I´ve missed it, but is Cruz taking some kind of "shot" at Trump as Graham is doing, or is it just taking the piss out of those appalled by American gun violence and gun culture. What is Cruz´s point? To be a bigger dick than Trump? To jump on some bandwagon?
FOX News has deemed that only the top 10 GOP Candidates (according to their own polling methodology) will be allowed to enter the 1st debate...which they are presiding over. This has led to a situation where all the candidates are trying to make news so that they can get their name out there by any means necessary.
I suspect most dont care how they get their name out there but it is essential that they do something to garner attention so that they can show up in the national polls.

BTW: Ted Cruz pumping out rounds from a semi automatic AR-15 and frying bacon on it is quite possibly the least dickish thing he has ever done.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Looking forward to reading through the comedy in here tomorrow morning. Last primary season will take some beating, but this has the potential.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
When's this debate on? Might give it a watch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fox are swooning over Fiorina's performance. Probably a bit more to do with the fact that she was on stage with morons like Perry, Santorum, and Jindal.

Status
Not open for further replies.