2017 Confederations Cup

WhoDaGOAT

Germany and Spain have such ridiculous depth at most age groups.

I'd be confident that either nation could put out a more than decent 4th string senior side and still be competitive.

They have by far the largest number of coaches with badges in Europe, and it shows.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
RIP Leno :lol: :lol: :lol:

He won't recover from that (against his competitors).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Germany and Spain have such ridiculous depth at most age groups.

I'd be confident that either nation could put out a more than decent 4th string senior side and still be competitive.

They have by far the largest number of coaches with badges in Europe, and it shows.
France are up there with them in terms of depth.

Nikhil

The Spanish guy doing the commentary for the Mexico Portugal match on FS1 yesterday was so annoying. Worst commentary I've ever heard. Why do people from USA do football commentary? US networks should get British pundits and commentators for all international events.

Lyricist

How is that not a handball? I love VAR and all but surely that should have been a handball?

He's actively expanding his body size with his arm?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The Spanish guy doing the commentary for the Mexico Portugal match on FS1 yesterday was so annoying. Worst commentary I've ever heard. Why do people from USA do football commentary? US networks should get British pundits and commentators for all international events.
At least they are not using Baseball commentators anymore.

WhoDaGOAT

France are up there with them in terms of depth.
Only because of this current crop of late 90's born players. That had a period where their old guard players were still being picked up as far as 2010.

They've brought through a good new generation now.

Lyricist

Leno is bang average.
He is average at being a (very) good keeper. But he doesn't stand out between Ter Stegen and Trapp. They're all around the same level. Today was a very bad day for him though, that's blatantly obvious! But on a normal day he concedes neither of these.

bucky

He is average at being a (very) good keeper. But he doesn't stand out between Ter Stegen and Trapp. They're all around the same level. Today was a very bad day for him though, that's blatantly obvious! But on a normal day he concedes neither of these.
Nah, he's definitely worse than both. Fährmann and Horn are better as well.

prath92

He is average at being a (very) good keeper. But he doesn't stand out between Ter Stegen and Trapp. They're all around the same level. Today was a very bad day for him though!
He is a competent goalkeeper but he is rated very highly by a lot on here who wanted us to replace ddg with him. He has always seemed error prone. I remember united played Leverkusen in CL during the moyes season and he didn't look that great then. Even had a few mistakes in those 2 ties iirc

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Guess Germania didn't really give a feck.
At some point Löw went into ultra-defensive mode, switching Wagner, Stindl and Brandt for Süle, Can and Werner....those substitutions killed the game cause Germany stopped trying to do anything and Australia was not good enough to capitalize.

prath92

Can is like the perfect Liverpool player. Has speed and strength but 0 awareness on the ball.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Man I'm so happy that Stindl gets some minutes in an international competition. Not that he's great enough to start for the normal team, but I love the guy. Hardworking, great mentality, and deceptively good for appearing rather average.

Was a fan ever since he scored this when I watched live.
Oh yeah, one of my favorite low profile players too. Gladbach has/had several players of that kind: Stindl, Raffael (best of the lot), Kruse, Sommer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah, had Australia much stronger in mind. Didn't expect our B/C-Team to outclass them so heavily (so far).
We (Australia) are nowhere near as good as we once were. 10 years ago our entire team was playing in the Premier League and Serie A, and in many cases were the best players in many of their teams. The likes of Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, Schwarzer, Bresciano, Grella, Bosnich, Emerton, Neill, etc. We could take on the best teams in the world and give them a fright. If it weren't for a debatable penalty in the last minute, we probably would have beaten Italy in extra-time in the 2006 world cup. As it were they went on to win the tournament.

Unfortunately since that 'golden generation', nobody else of that quality has come through. Cahill is the last remaining but at 37 is just a super-sub now. We do have some decent players like Rogic and Mooy, but it's a long drop from where we were. We're struggling in the Asian WC qualifiers to even get one of the automatic qualifying spots. Sucks, but hopefully another generation will come through in the not too distant future.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Two things...

First, an observation - I don't understand how the second goal wasn't a handball/illegal play. The attacking player clearly gained an advantage by playing the ball off his arm. VAR failed, IMO.

Second, a question for the resident Aussies - why are the kits gold and green when the flag is blue, red, and white?

Mr. P Mosh

I just saw the highlights with that commentary, can't believe they have Jorge Perez Navarro doing the commentary, he's cringey and annoying in Spanish... in English he's twice as bad.

vivaronaldo

We (Australia) are nowhere near as good as we once were. 10 years ago our entire team was playing in the Premier League and Serie A, and in many cases were the best players in many of their teams. The likes of Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, Schwarzer, Bresciano, Grella, Bosnich, Emerton, Neill, etc. We could take on the best teams in the world and give them a fright. If it weren't for a debatable penalty in the last minute, we probably would have beaten Italy in extra-time in the 2006 world cup. As it were they went on to win the tournament.

Unfortunately since that 'golden generation', nobody else of that quality has come through. Cahill is the last remaining but at 37 is just a super-sub now. We do have some decent players like Rogic and Mooy, but it's a long drop from where we were. We're struggling in the Asian WC qualifiers to even get one of the automatic qualifying spots. Sucks, but hopefully another generation will come through in the not too distant future.
game in this country has gone backwards with the cronies that run it ...elite level football here is non competitive up until the age of 18...right there shows how political correct this country has gone in terms of making sure everyone is a winner (and pays a small fortune to play ) and that the national teams suffer - to think we had more players in the European leagues 10 years ago then we do now is laughable , but hey as long as those big chqs comes in from youth football lifes good

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Two things...

First, an observation - I don't understand how the second goal wasn't a handball/illegal play. The attacking player clearly gained an advantage by playing the ball off his arm. VAR failed, IMO.

Second, a question for the resident Aussies - why are the kits gold and green when the flag is blue, red, and white?
Green and gold are our national colours. Similar to how the Kiwis wear black, to differentiate ourselves I guess.

Nick7

Two things...

The handball rules are very vague and open to interpretation. "Deliberate actions" and all that.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Portugal XI: Patricio, Raphael Guerreiro, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Cedric Soares, William, Adrien, André Gomes, Bernardo Silva, Cristiano, André Silva

Fonte was terrible last match but I'd still rather have a terrible Fonte than Bruno Alves. The rest of the team is spot on. Mendes is probably distracted with all the tax cases so he forgot to tell Santos who should start.

jungledrums

Portugal XI: Patricio, Raphael Guerreiro, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Cedric Soares, William, Adrien, André Gomes, Bernardo Silva, Cristiano, André Silva

Fonte was terrible last match but I'd still rather have a terrible Fonte than Bruno Alves. The rest of the team is spot on. Mendes is probably distracted with all the tax cases so he forgot to tell Santos who should start.
Where's Joao Mario? Injured?

Santos J

Fecking hell, Santos has actually picked Bernardo.