2018 PGA and Golf in General

diarm

Rose and Rahm losing that match is a real kick in the teeth. Match turned on a total fluke from Finau.

diarm

Surprised Rory is out there this afternoon. Little harsh on Casey who has played really well.

slyadams

McIlroy is the kind of player who can fire back. In reality, he's had two dodgy rounds. Casey should be playing this afternoon.

That top match is the real kick in the teeth, should have been won with holes to spare and 2-2. Foursomes suit Europe more, let's see the wind get up as well.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Casey should be out this afternoon. I think Rory was so poor, that I would have left him out, but it probably reflects on there being quite a lot of "average" players in the European side. Garcia needs to have a good session, because he could quickly look like deadwood in this team. He's in horrible form.

Why are Sky spending most of their time in the studio right now. Matches are in progress and we have just watched the morning session.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Garcia looks all over the place on the tee. Wow, can't afford nerves in foursomes.

diarm

I think this every two years but I'd be fecking fla'd playing two rounds back to back like some of these lads are doing. I know these lads are very fit but surely if it's tight coming down the back 9 in the afternoon, there's a real advantage to the fresher boys.

slyadams

I think this every two years but I'd be fecking fla'd playing two rounds back to back like some of these lads are doing. I know these lads are very fit but surely if it's tight coming down the back 9 in the afternoon, there's a real advantage to the fresher boys.
I think they play soo much golf in their lives, and their fitness regimes are designed specifically to be able to make 1000s of swings a day. I suspect two rounds is probably a lot less actual golf than a heavy training day for them. In reality, its about 100 shots with a 20 odd mile walk. The issue is probably that its spreadh over 10 hours of constant action. However, they play a lot more in the World Matchplay.

diarm

I think they play soo much golf in their lives, and their fitness regimes are designed specifically to be able to make 1000s of swings a day. I suspect two rounds is probably a lot less actual golf than a heavy training day for them. In reality, its about 100 shots with a 20 odd mile walk. The issue is probably that its spreadh over 10 hours of constant action. However, they play a lot more in the World Matchplay.
That's true. If it was me playing this course it would be around 400 shots and a 45 mile walk!

slyadams

That's true. If it was me playing this course it would be around 400 shots and a 45 mile walk!
This is definitely a home team setup, but then it always is. One of the reasons, like test matches, that it so often is won by the home team.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Fleetwood looks like a new talisman in the European team. Absolutely feeding off the crowd.

I do think the Ryder Cup is the best sporting event in the world. It doesn't overstay its welcome. Three solid days of action, usually to a very high standard. You nearly always get an exciting finish without it being contrived. 8-8-12 in terms of points across the days and the singles matches all finishing within about 90 minutes of each other usually means a interesting finish, even if there is a clear winner in the end.

Ainu

Some really interesting scores now, Europe on course to undo a lot of the damage suffered this morning. But still a long way to go in all matches.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It could well swing back in a few games, but if it stays this way for another few holes then it'll be a hell of a session for Europe.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Standard from the Americans this afternoon is shocking. Europeans have big leads from just making par.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm not watching but feck me those scores. I didn't expect this after the morning sessions.
If the Americans turn up they could still well split this session. Other than Noren & Garcia, the standard doesn't seem great. Was better this morning.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Some records there:

First ever 4-0 whitewash by Europe in a foursomes session
Greatest cumulative winning margin in a foursomes session (17-up)
Greatest winning margin in any 4-game pairs session since the US in foursomes in 1947 (20-up)

Ultimately only 5-3 though. Europe will have traded some of these thrashings for edging the games earlier. Those American steals in the morning were just as valuable.

Zen

Why have America broken up their Spieth and Reed dream team?

Ainu

I feel a little bit for Tiger, he's looking miserable out there. Just shows how much it means to all the players, even those with Tiger's major record.

Zen

Who were they just talking about looking injured - Tiger or Patrick? I just kinda got on board and they were talking about that pairing.

Be a shame if it was Tiger, as he's bringing so much back to the game, his presence around all this ultra talented youth is really good. Hope he continues this great comeback.

diarm

Who were they just talking about looking injured - Tiger or Patrick? I just kinda got on board and they were talking about that pairing.

Be a shame if it was Tiger, as he's bringing so much back to the game, his presence around all this ultra talented youth is really good. Hope he continues this great comeback.
I didn't hear it but I'd say it's Tiger. I thought he looked as if he might be holding his back yesterday and Butch mentioned that he didn't look quite right early this morning.

diarm

Poulter has done exceptionally well to stay within 1 of Speith this morning. A half here would feel like a massive victory given how well Jordan has played.

Zen

Poulter has done exceptionally well to stay within 1 of Speith this morning. A half here would feel like a massive victory given how well Jordan has played.
.....and what about the other two golfers in that match?

diarm

.....and what about the other two golfers in that match?
Neither have played great golf to be honest. Speith has definitely been the best but Poulter has dug in and stuck with him.

Smashing tee shot there gave him a good look at drawing level but then Thomas stepped up and matched him.

Ainu

What a shot by Rose! :lol: Anyone of us would've fallen in the water there, he gets it to a couple of feet. Insane.

Zen

Tiger's doing 36 holes.....do they want to ruin him?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Tiger's doing 36 holes.....do they want to ruin him?
That's what I thought. Phil can barely get through a round nowadays. Why ask a guy who 12 months ago was wondering if he could walk without pain ever again.
Nuts.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Koepka seems to like the back 9 here. Completed one comeback on day 1, nearly did one earlier today before he got Sergioed, and is now threatening another.

Why have America broken up their Spieth and Reed dream team?
In fairness, Spieth and Thomas are very close and have been the second best pair on either side so far.

Brophs

The One and Only
Did Europe lose a bet or something? Otherwise, it's hard to imagine how they've chosen those shirts.

Ainu

USA are going to put two more points on the board soon but it's incredible to go from 3-1 down to 10-4 ahead. Who would've thought?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Looks like it’ll be 10-6 headed into the final day and the difference will be Fleetwood and Molinari. If they had gone 50-50, it would be 8-8.

I think tomorrow will be close for that reason. The Americans are better golfers week in and week out, and the scoreboard would be much closer if not for the wonder pair.

Fleetwood and Molinari first Europeans to go 4-0 in pairs. First of either side since 1979. No European has ever gone 5-0 in any Ryder Cup. They both have a chance tomorrow.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Looks like it’ll be 10-6 headed into the final day and the difference will be Fleetwood and Molinari. If they had gone 50-50, it would be 8-8.

I think tomorrow will be close for that reason. The Americans are better golfers week in and week out, and the scoreboard would be much closer if not for the wonder pair.

Fleetwood and Molinari first Europeans to go 4-0 in pairs. First of either side since 1979. No European has ever gone 5-0 in any Ryder Cup. They both have a chance tomorrow.
They've been fabulous and got the crowd going too.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Molinari and Fleetwood have been a revelation although maybe not really too surprising given their respective seasons.
Hope they both can both make 5 from 5 and Europe goes on to win ( make it comfortable please lads ).
Can't wait for tomorrow, beer's in, wife going on spa day with friends, so peace and quiet and hopefully a victory curry to celebrate.