2020 Champions League Final - Bayern Munich vs PSG (free on BT/YoutubeUK) - LIVE - Bayern 1-0 PSG as predicted by voters (79.4%)

Who will win

• Prefer Bayern but think PSG will win

Votes: 84 12.6%
  • Prefer Bayern and think they will win

Votes: 461 69.2%
  • Prefer PSG but think Bayern will win

Votes: 83 12.5%
  • Prefer PSG and think they will win

Votes: 38 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Firas United

Great player but a defender can never earn £400k. If he earns that how much is a 30 goal a season striker going to want from us? It’s a spiral effect and we need to learn our lesson from Sanchez.
I agree ... but he deserves a negotiation ... he’s just the player we are looking for

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not the classic many predicted. PSG simply had to take one of those great chances they. The Neymar one was tough but Di Maria should have tested the keeper and Mbappe should really have scored. They were wasteful in the final third, and should be disappointed in not scoring a goal. Neuer was good but none of those was particularly a great save either. Once PSG appears toothless at finishing off moves and Bayern scored, you knew the Germans would take this.

Also not sure why Thiago is getting so much credit. Coman I thought deserves more , the way he sparked to life in the second and had Kehrer on toast.

rollingstoned1

this was a very even game tbh, psg didn't take advantage of the better chances that they had until the first goal and after going behind were always going to be up against it with Bayern's game management. Overall not a very high quality game but Bayern probably deserved it.

rollingstoned1

Remember when people said we shouldn't spend on Perisic cos he was the geriatric old age of... Dun dun dun 28!!

28... Might as well be retiring
that's because he isn't and he didn't start this game so that should tell you something. people need to stop making like for like comparisons with tactically well drilled teams who already have their first XI sorted out before they make such lazy arguments. Bayern could sign willian and he would look good in that system, just like douglas costa did. the same players over here will belong in a thread for overpaid deadwood players we need to get rid of in 1 years time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
that's because he isn't and he didn't start this game so that should tell you something. people need to stop making like for like comparisons with tactically well drilled teams who already have their first XI sorted out before they make such lazy arguments. Bayern could sign willian and he would look good in that system, just like douglas costa did. the same players over here will belong in a thread for overpaid deadwood players we need to get rid of in 1 years time.

... He started the Semi Final, Quarter Final and game against Chelsea, and has either started or made an apperance in every Bayern game since he arrived (when he hasn't been injured)... in fact when he's been available he's started the game more often then he hasn't.... so who's argument is lazy?

Let's also not pretend that Perisic is only a good footballer 'cos he's at Bayern, he has looked good in other teams too.

Mickson

Good game yesterday. One thing though: Bayern has no passengers. They have no James or Pereira. They haven't a "maybe he will become good sometime"-player. Laughable to think that someone like James or Pereira would last even 5 minutes there. They are ruthless and very, very good in every position and every sub is very good. That's why they're the best. Kovac wasn't up for it, and then he was gone. They have ambition. United haven't and our fans haven't. That's why we are where we are and that's why we never will be best with that kind of thinking.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I actually thought the Paredes - Marquinhos - Herrera midfield was doing pretty decent. They created a couple of threatening counter attacks.

When Herrera and Di Maria went off PSG looked worse.

It was an entertaining game but not an especially high quality game. A good example of mismatched teams where both are wary that anything can happen in a final.

Bayern easily controlled things but they were playing a risky game by sitting their defence so high and were nervous in their passing in the first half. It took them a while to settle but once they did it was comfortable for them.

PSG were outplayed everywhere other than in long ball counter attack. Their passing around defence and midfield was poor, and often they only managed a handful of passes before losing it or hitting it long.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Kouassi (and probably his entourage) looked set on leaving very early and Bayern wasn't involved then. I have no idea why he chose Bayern in particular.
Thanks mate. And sorry that you had to stumble through my post which was messed up by autocorrect and the late hours. :wenger:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I actually thought the Paredes - Marquinhos - Herrera midfield was doing pretty decent. They created a couple of threatening counter attacks.

When Herrera and Di Maria went off PSG looked worse.
Decent but it is not a playmaking central midfield.

Motta-Verratti-Matuidi was something else.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
So why do most of them leave?
Because the French Labour law doesn't allow our clubs to lock under 18 players.

French footballers are also more impatient and ready to travel, and agent also play their role

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The lack of creativity and offensive contribution of our central midfield and lateral defenders.

PSG needs a right-back and a creative central midfielder to apply for another final next year

Blackwidow

It was an entertaining game but not an especially high quality game. A good example of mismatched teams where both are wary that anything can happen in a final.

Bayern easily controlled things but they were playing a risky game by sitting their defence so high and were nervous in their passing in the first half. It took them a while to settle but once they did it was comfortable for them.

PSG were outplayed everywhere other than in long ball counter attack. Their passing around defence and midfield was poor, and often they only managed a handful of passes before losing it or hitting it long.
That high line is important - but it just works when the positioning and the workrate is right. The same would not work that fine without that high defence. Yes, it is risky - but it is not more risky than having a deeper line with more spaces in between. You cannot prevent to make no mistakes. Bayern did not play really risky yesterday with their forward passing - if they would have been behind they probably would have had to.

rollingstoned1

... He started the Semi Final, Quarter Final and game against Chelsea, and has either started or made an apperance in every Bayern game since he arrived (when he hasn't been injured)... in fact when he's been available he's started the game more often then he hasn't.... so who's argument is lazy?

Let's also not pretend that Perisic is only a good footballer 'cos he's at Bayern, he has looked good in other teams too.
The lazy part of your argument wasn't about how often he's starting. It's making the sweeping statement that because he starts for Bayern he's good enough for us. This is a chestnut for which id be a millionaire if I got a dollar everytime it gets spouted on here for a player who doesnt play for us and is part of a well oiled setup in the latter stages of the cl. I still maintain that it reveals quite a bit that he didn't start this game when fit though. It was like not starting berbatov in both cl finals. He isnt in the Ribery, robben level of player that his signing would be an instant lift and a no brainer.

Perisic was passable without being preposessingly spectacular at all of the other clubs he has played at. We were being asked to pay a 'marquee' premium for him whereas you yourself are alluding to him being only being a valuable squad player for us.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The lack of creativity and offensive contribution of our central midfield and lateral defenders.

PSG needs a right-back and a creative central midfielder to apply for another final next year
Unlucky @Ecstatic @Sayros @BBRBB on the loss. Is the job of Tuchel safe? Who will be the replacement for Silva? I quite liked the partnership of Kimpembe and Silva. In terms of lateral defenders, I think Atal would be a top signing from an offensive standpoint.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Unlucky @Ecstatic @Sayros @BBRBB on the loss. Is the job of Tuchel safe? Who will be the replacement for Silva? I quite liked the partnership of Kimpembe and Silva. In terms of lateral defenders, I think Atal would be a top signing from an offensive standpoint.
Tuchel should get a 3rd season, although I can see the journalistic vultures questioning it soon.
It's not 100% sure yet Silva will leave but Marquinhos Kimpembe is a solid pairing (there's been lots of links for replacements but nothing concrete).
Atal is a great talent, but are we willing to recruit a player recovering from a big injury?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks
Tuchel said he is pushing for a renewal of the contract of Silva
I don't know well atal

That high line is important - but it just works when the positioning and the workrate is right. The same would not work that fine without that high defence. Yes, it is risky - but it is not more risky than having a deeper line with more spaces in between. You cannot prevent to make no mistakes. Bayern did not play really risky yesterday with their forward passing - if they would have been behind they probably would have had to.
It's a fine balance. Yesterday they were very nearly caught out early on. The passing was nervous and they lost the ball cheaply in midfield a few times, then the full backs were too far up the pitch and Mbappe and Di Maria got a free run at the defence. Once they settled down with their passing they were not really troubled again, but they are lucky they weren't behind by that point.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The lazy part of your argument wasn't about how often he's starting. It's making the sweeping statement that because he starts for Bayern he's good enough for us. This is a chestnut for which id be a millionaire if I got a dollar everytime it gets spouted on here for a player who doesnt play for us and is part of a well oiled setup in the latter stages of the cl. I still maintain that it reveals quite a bit that he didn't start this game when fit though. It was like not starting berbatov in both cl finals. He isnt in the Ribery, robben level of player that his signing would be an instant lift and a no brainer.

Perisic was passable without being preposessingly spectacular at all of the other clubs he has played at. We were being asked to pay a 'marquee' premium for him whereas you yourself are alluding to him being only being a valuable squad player for us.
I literally never made that statement

My statement was based only on the fact that some people didn't want to spend money on him because at 28 he was too old, and yet 3 years later here we are and he's still playing at a high level.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I literally never made that statement

My statement was based only on the fact that some people didn't want to spend money on him because at 28 he was too old, and yet 3 years later here we are and he's still playing at a high level.
Perisic is a fine squad player and he seems like a great teammate. But as a Bayern supporter I am happy that he will be demoted from 3rd to 4th winger at Bayern. At least I expect them to strike a deal with Inter.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Perisic is a fine squad player and he seems like a great teammate. But as a Bayern supporter I am happy that he will be demoted from 3rd to 4th winger at Bayern. At least I expect them to strike a deal with Inter.
Even if he is the 4th winger, he still plays a hell of a lot of football for you.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Even if he is the 4th winger, he still plays a hell of a lot of football for you.
Hopefully because he’s quite good. I‘d rather have him as a safety blanket than some inexperienced prospect.
And he will get game time since Coman, Sané, Gnabry are not from the indestructible Lewandowski type.

DevilRed

I guess Flick would differ completely. That's a very inaccurate description of Bayern's style. They still have van Gaal's and Guardiola's ideas deeply ingrained in their philosophy. So lot's of "inverted cutting inside nonsense", "need to play 300 back passes to the defence and goalie to keep possession".

Bayern hat 61,6% possession and 433 passes to PSG's 240. They played a 4-4-2 against the ball and a 4-2-3-1 in possession as most German coaches do, especially those that press intensely. Their best player was also the prototype tiki taka player in Thiago. You could also argue that Bayern's success this season came by abandoning a system that essentially covered all your suggestions by sacking Kovac and promoting Flick - a coach who by the way was key to Germany adapting Spain's style of football. Neuer is also the prototype of the modern keeper that leaves his box a lot and prevents clearing the ball whenever possible.

Very weird interpretation, IMO. This game definitely had nothing in common with the EPL style pre-2015.
Van Gaal and Guardiola!? You obviously didn't really pay attention to the match then?

Do you even know what inverted wingers are? How could you say they deployed inverted wingers when Coman is left footed and Gnabry is right footed? Both kept the width and tried to cross the ball instead of cutting inside.

Possession stats have nothing to do with anything. They played a 4-4-2 and it was end to end stuff at times. 2 strikers. 2 wingers and 2 central midfielders. 4 at the back.

Dearie me.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Both kept the width and tried to cross the ball instead of cutting inside.
Whilst Coman did for a decent bit of time, there were several instances where he came inside, especially when Davies pushed up in the first half. Gnabry, however, played further inside than outside especially since Thomas Muller occupied the right wing for the majority of the match.

According the heatmaps, Coman occupied the left side way more whilst Gnabry drifted around and interchanged with Muller.

Gnabry:

Muller:

Coman:

Coman had a stronger heatmap reading on the left because he stayed there more during the second half. Gnabry and Muller's heatmaps, however, are sort of similar regarding the right flank.

always_hoping

Bayern Munich starting team in their 3-1 home defeat to Liverpool last year compared to last night

Out - Rafinha, M Sule* M Hummels, J Martinez, J Rodriguez, F Ribery

In - A Davies, J Boateng, J Kimmich, Goretzka, K Coman, T Muller

*brought on as a sub last night

And of course a new manager since that defeat.

PSG starting team from the 3-1 home defeat to Man United last year compared to the team that started last night.

Out - Buffon, Alves, Verratti*, J Draxler*

In - Navas, L Paredes, Herrera, Neymar

*Brought on as a sub last night

Same PSG manager for both games.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Van Gaal and Guardiola!? You obviously didn't really pay attention to the match then?

Do you even know what inverted wingers are? How could you say they deployed inverted wingers when Coman is left footed and Gnabry is right footed? Both kept the width and tried to cross the ball instead of cutting inside.

Possession stats have nothing to do with anything. They played a 4-4-2 and it was end to end stuff at times. 2 strikers. 2 wingers and 2 central midfielders. 4 at the back.

Dearie me.
Coman is right footed. So much for paying attention. And did you see Gnabry's goal against Lyon? He cuts inside a lot, even as a right food on the right side. Same for Perisic and of course Coman. Moreover they switch positions a lot so you actually see Gnabry cutting in from the left quite often. Even under Guardiola, they played like that over the wings.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
They played a 4-4-2 .
You don't really have a leg to stand on here. Coman is a righty, Gnabry is quite twofooted and plays like an inverted winger quite often. And I actually can't remember the last time we played a 4-4-2 in possession.

DarkLord

Even if PSG had equalised, I think Bayern would have gone on to win in extra time or on penalties. I've never seen an opponent looking so defeated trailing just 0-1. You would have thought they are losing by 4 goals. This Bayern team is on a mission to win the CL this season. Watching this match gives me vibes of Germany vs Argentina World Cup final in 2014. Germany just thrashed Brazil 7-1 and Bayern thrashed Barca 8-2. Both teams were on a mission.
I believe this is also the first final Neymar has lost but its probably the first his team is an underdog.

I'm not surprised by the result at all, as all the favourites in the CL final have won except for Chelsea beating Bayern in 2012 final ironically. Historically in any final of any major sporting competition, the favourites especially the team with the bigger prestige and history almost always win. There is a poster who pointed out in the Europa League final thread that just being 5 times winners of the Europa League can give the Sevilla players that extra 10% of belief and confidence. Them beating Inter did despite being underdog did not surprise me at all. That prestige and pedigree in a final means a lot and just that self belief and mentality with the players is what can make a very significant difference. Its also why Real Madrid and Liverpool have that aura in Europe.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Dearie me.
Yeah no. Gnabry kept the width, with Kimmich coming inside to act as an extra midfielder

Coman kept to the left inside channel, operating as a second striker whenever the ball was on the right, while Davies provided the width on the left as more classic winger

That Coman crossed a few times is just normal, Muller crossed a lot too. Bayern are a crossing team(and how weird is it that as analytics showed us how crosses are inefficient, the last 3 CL winners, all with stratospheric attacks, relied on crosses a lot)

Coman is right footed btw

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You don't really have a leg to stand on here. Coman is a righty, Gnabry is quite twofooted and plays like an inverted winger quite often. And I actually can't remember the last time we played a 4-4-2 in possession.
That's because with the evolution and improvement in terms of understanding of the game and tactics, and the emphasis on building from the back as a result, nobody plays a 4-4-2 in possession anymore. It's just not a good attacking formation to progress the ball from the back, and leaves the center open if you lose the ball

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Ok so PSG trio missed their chances in the first half and eventually Bayern outplayed them in the second half, like a rugby team sensing the try... fair enough... but Tuchel sending in on-loan Choupo, instead of €60m Icardi, and Choupo missing a few minutes later the most classic of Icardi’s tap ins? Bad luck all the night and all the superstars misfiring, still a very bad and costly mistake by Tuchel imho.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

Dearie me.
1. Coman is right-footed and likes to cut inside and take a shoot (although he didn't do it often in the final)
2. Normally Bayerns winger exchange sides a few times during a game
3. When Gnabry plays on the left, he cuts inside even more then Coman. Also typical for us are very attacking minded fullbacks in Davies, Pavard and Kimmich. It is very common for us that that winger cuts inside and the fullback runs deep in his back.
4. Müllers positioning and movement cannot be described as a "second striker". As others have said, in possession our formation is clearly 4-2-3-1. Only when pressing, Lewy and Müller have similar positions.
5. The position play, passing, forming of triangles and the shape and intensity of pressing are clearly inspired by van Gaal and Guardiola. Many players also said so.

Please stop educating Bayern fans about their players and their teams approach based on one game.

Dearie me.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The game could go either way, and no clear domination from both teams. I think PSG cocked it up on 2nd half, by moving Mbappe away to the wing.

And the ref was very lenient to Bayern's. Everytime Neymar had the ball, Bayern's just roughed him up with fouls after fouls. The lack of more severe punishment from the ref allowed Bayern's to continue fouling him. I can't believe this hasn't been pointed out more.