2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
The one that means Biden still isn't the President Elect.
Joe Biden, the President Elect, is holding a speech in a few hours to declare victory. At this point you are just arguing for the sake of it :p

Revan

Assumptionman

Next AZ update supposedly at 9PM ET ( 900P ET)
Arizona is the key. Win it and it is over. Georgia is still not certain, while PA has a weird law that allows their congress (currently lead by GOP) to overrule the elections and directly choose EC. I wouldn’t put past GOP to do so if all depends on PA (Lindsay Graham even mentioned that ‘all the options are on table’ when asked about it).

If Arizona (and Nevada) go Biden then it is over. Until then, it is not totally safe IMO.

Dante

Average bang
No, I am talking about the law. You mentioned the law in your other reply. Trump has no control over the law or the "inevitability of the processs". He can throw any tantrum he wants but your original statement that its "up to Trump" is just wrong. It's up each individual state and the electors now. The road does not run through Mar-a-Lago.

The military, secret service, etc all swear their oath to the Constitution NOT the President.
And the constitution enshrines the Electoral College process. Which means we still have to await a meeting of State Electors and a meeting of both Chambers of Congress to agree to everything. Unprecedented and ongoing legal challenges are going to muddy the waters.

Don't make up quotes. I never said "up to Trump".

Are you seriously arguing that Trump is playing by the usual playbook, or that the transition of power is going to be as smooth as in every other election?

Ollie Derbyshire

I don’t really follow American politics and I dont know much about Biden but damn he just doesn’t look like a president. He’ll be in his 80’s during his tenure? Seems absurd to me.
Doesn’t sound the most coherent either at times, but I like his grand pappy story about keeping the faith, odds on the first song at the victory party?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Arizona is the key. Win it and it is over. Georgia is still not certain, while PA has a weird law that allows their congress (currently lead by GOP) to overrule the elections and directly choose EC. I wouldn’t put past GOP to do so if all depends on PA (Lindsay Graham even mentioned that ‘all the options are on table’ when asked about it).

If Arizona (and Nevada) go Biden then it is over. Until then, it is not totally safe IMO.
Nahhh, surely with how it's worked out that they wouldn't dare. It's a resounding victory.

sport2793

Andersonson

One thing is certain, that country shouldn't be named United States of America.

The States of America maybe. Much blame on both sides, but thank god Biden wins this. His speeches as actually been very good and hopefully he will be a president for both sides and unites that weird weird country

Siorac

I know the Republicans pretty much abandoned any pretence of dignity in their slavish devotion to Trump's cult but surely that's a line their local lawmakers would not cross. Their life would be in danger. The outrage would be... seismic.

Dante

Average bang
Dude, you realize Trump has nothing to do with that either right? Its the states and electors.
And Congress. Which can be partisan and influenced. That's Trump's tactic.

You can believe it won't work if you want. But it's obviously the strategy he's using and the pathway the final result will need to take.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

You can believe it won't work if you want. But it's obviously the strategy he's using and the pathway the final result will need to take.
Your exact words were "the path to the Whitehouse is going to be the one that Trump decides it to be."

And that is just categorically wrong. The path to the Whitehouse is NOT what Trump decides it to be in any way whatsoever.

The process can't be influenced by Trump anymore because there is 100 years of case law at the Supreme Court protecting the right to vote.

owlo

I know the Republicans pretty much abandoned any pretence of dignity in their slavish devotion to Trump's cult but surely that's a line their local lawmakers would not cross. Their life would be in danger. The outrage would be... seismic.
Yea, nobody [other than Trump] is going to be willing to risk civil war. Just won't happen.

owlo

Your exact words were "the path to the Whitehouse is going to be the one that Trump decides it to be."

And that is just categorically wrong. The path to the Whitehouse is NOT what Trump decides it to be in any way whatsoever.

The process can't be influenced by Trump anymore because there is 100 years of case law at the Supreme Court protecting the right to vote.
He's just using big words to dribble shit. I'd ignore at this point. Likely a WUM.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

He just doesn't have the resources. Between states that are Dem-dominated and Reps who realise they need to pivot to ensure their legacy, there's no path.

If it'd been close they could flirt with civil war, but it's comprehensive.

Dante

Average bang
Joe Biden, the President Elect, is holding a speech in a few hours to declare victory. At this point you are just arguing for the sake of it :p
So you're 100% there won't be any further twists in the story after his speech? That Trump won't continue his strategy of taking extraneous legal action to draw out the result?

Dante

Average bang
He's just using big words to dribble shit. I'd ignore at this point. Likely a WUM.
How?

I'm only talking about Trump's tactics. You seem to be getting upset that he has tactics and want to ignore them because it's easier to assume that everything is already done-and-dusted. Nothing about the last 4 years of Trump should give you that confidence.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm starting my celebrations tonight @WI_Red - Ordered a takeaway for myself and the dog, opened up the bottle, and bidding on a beautiful medal at auction!

I prefer Talisker. Nice and peaty.
My friend, enjoy that bottle. My first sip was the single greatest sip of my life. So. Damn. Smooth.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
So you're 100% there won't be any further twists in the story after his speech? That Trump won't continue his strategy of taking extraneous legal action to draw out the result?
He can have any twists he wants, but the mainstream has already given him the "jaysus bud, calm down like". The margin is too wide for them to go all-in on a confrontational position. It's wayyy too much of a stretch to support. His word will become weaker by the day.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

The States of America maybe. Much blame on both sides, but thank god Biden wins this. His speeches as actually been very good and hopefully he will be a president for both sides and unites that weird weird country
Stop with this "both side" business and normalise the fecketry. One side is clearly much much worse than the other.

The loonies need to stomped out, not negotiated with.

Dante

Average bang
he pretty much is though isn’t he?
In every other election, against any other Presidential candidate.

Trump is playing from a different playbook. It's the one he's been talking about for years. It's the one he's been tweeting about for weeks. It's the one he'll be dipping into for days to come.

Dante

Average bang
He can have any twists he wants, but the mainstream has already given him the "jaysus bud, calm down like". The margin is too wide for them to go all-in on a confrontational position. It's wayyy too much of a stretch to support. His word will become weaker by the day.
Probably. But that doesn't change the fact that Trump will still try.

I don't get why the idea is controversial. He'll do whatever it takes, and he'll draw out the process for ages. It's been obvious for ages that this was his strategy.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

False equivalency makes me violent Im not going to lie. Cut that shit out.

Status
Not open for further replies.