2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Holy shit does this mean the Dems have control of all 3 branches of the US government?
No. GOP controls the third branch (judiciary). But it seems that Dems will have the presidency and both chambers of the congress which is good.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
And now let’s see how the Dems achieve absolutely nothing with all that power.

Precaution

Any progress on health care which doesnt require taking out a second mortgage will be a bonus but I won't hold my breathe, Democrats will squander this chance and the GOP will be sitting, waiting for the next fk up, 2022 will be a real test

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The Trump rally will be more unhinged than usual.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Now they have 2 years to get shit done and not a second to waste.
Now they will spend 2 years healing wounds, enacting none of the promises that earned their support while simultaneously being demonised by right wing media as radical and dangerous and destroying the country. The result being that they turn the left away and motivate the right ending in losing all three branches in 2024.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
And now let’s see how the Dems achieve absolutely nothing with all that power.
‘All that power’ is hardly absolute, it’s the thinnest margins in modern times.

It will help, but the bigger pushes might still be elusive.

Dudu

US just reported their highest daily Covid-19 death count Tuesday (3,770).

Meanwhile in DC..

Drifter

American
Looking forward to the HR1(For The People act) bill being passed in the Senate at last. Won't hold my breath though.

The Firestarter

US just reported their highest daily Covid-19 death count Tuesday (3,770).

Meanwhile in DC..

Sometimes your brain just cannot form an adequate explanation of the observed reality. This is one of those times.

neverdie

Did they get the two seats? Absolutely no excuse for pushing their agenda through in the next two years if so. Stacey Abrams is the best community organiser the Dems have.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Brilliant news. The GOP can feck off for two years at the very least.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
If this will split up the Republican Party, Trump’s election was a blessing in disguise. That would be quite something.

Revan

Assumptionman
So will Biden expand the number of supreme Court justices?
No. Manchin ruled it out and he has the 50th vote.

Extending the court does not achieve anything though. The next time GOP controls the presidency and the senate, they would just expand it in their favor.

tombombadil

Brilliant news. The GOP can feck off for two years at the very least.
I'm not so sure. The margin is razor thin. The GOP will filibuster every goddamn thing that they are bribed to block and centrist democrats will help them.

But at least, now there is hope that some legislations will still go through, rather than get totally blocked by scumbag mcconnell.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
No. Manchin ruled it out and he has the 50th vote.

Extending the court does not achieve anything though. The next time GOP controls the presidency and the senate, they would just expand it in their favor.
No, you can always pass an another law demanding super majority for further restructuring

Revan

Assumptionman
And then the party that comes in next can repeal this law? This should be laid in the constitution.
It is not laid in the constitution (the number of justices). I just think it is very unlikely that you can make a law and then add another law that says that the law cannot be changed.

If that was the case, the Republicans would make a law that taxes cannot be increased for the next 100 years and to change the law you need a supermajority.

The Firestarter

It is not laid in the constitution (the number of justices). I just think it is very unlikely that you can make a law and then add another law that says that the law cannot be changed.

If that was the case, the Republicans would make a law that taxes cannot be increased for the next 100 years and to change the law you need a supermajority.
What I meant is the type of majority needed to pack the court is (should be) laid in the constitution , not the number of justices.

Status
Not open for further replies.