2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
I doubt it, but if this holds, GOP is screwed for some time. This essentially wins Biden his presidency (though if he really wins Georgia, it likely means that he has won pretty much all swing states) and gives the Senate to the Democrats. This would be a total debacle for GOP, in which case they will look to reform from Trump's days.

Thing is, with a bit of luck, this happens, and we see a civil war between GOP leaders and Trump. I would love to see GOP becoming irrelevant (or getting destroyed).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m increasingly feeling like we’ll be relying on Arizona to save us from another Donald term.
Quite possible. The map without battleground states seems to favor the Dems, who have 25 winning combinations to the GOP's 12. If you include IA as a battleground the Dems winning combinations shoots up to 33.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wonder what the GOP will do when Texas eventually turns solid blue?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They will be locked out of the Presidency for a very long time at that point, which is probably why McConnell is so obsessed with stacking the benches with as many conservatives as possible in the present. They know what's on the horizon.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
They will suffer for two cycles and then shed their anti immigration stance directed at Latinos. There is a chance that eventually good amount of Hispanics will be part of republican coalition in some time in future given that they seem to be more conservative and religious than general dem base.

Revan

Assumptionman
Pivot to the center, would be my best guess. Parties are dynamic organizations. With Texas becoming a blue state, any path for a GOP victory is removed. They won't have any other chance except reform or disappear. While I would love to see GOP being totally destroyed, I think it is more likely that they would just go towards the center. Obviously, they would still be a right-wing party, but probably less extreme than now. With some luck, in 20 years we might see GOP being where Dems are now, and Dems being to where Bernie is now. That would be great to see.

Revan

Assumptionman
They will suffer for two cycles and then shed their anti immigration stance directed at Latinos. There is a chance that eventually good amount of Hispanics will be part of republican coalition in some time in future given that they seem to be more conservative and religious than general dem base.
Indeed. They could also be more open to some social things (like abortion, LGBT rights), maybe realize that global warming is not a hoax, while still being about low taxes and the financial conservatism.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I doubt it, but if this holds, GOP is screwed for some time. This essentially wins Biden his presidency (though if he really wins Georgia, it likely means that he has won pretty much all swing states) and gives the Senate to the Democrats. This would be a total debacle for GOP, in which case they will look to reform from Trump's days.

Thing is, with a bit of luck, this happens, and we see a civil war between GOP leaders and Trump. I would love to see GOP becoming irrelevant (or getting destroyed).
That was pretty much a prediction in 2016.

Florida Man

Quite possible. The map without battleground states seems to favor the Dems, who have 25 winning combinations to the GOP's 12. If you include IA as a battleground the Dems winning combinations shoots up to 33.

I know it's traditionally a battleground state but I'm convinced Florida goes to Trump. Also... Georgia? Wishful thinking.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
States with large population centers are all trending Dem at the moment, so it would make sense that GA would be in play at some point, especially since Abrams came within a whisker of improbably winning.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
So it's President Tweety up against Sleepy Joe aka Slow Joe aka Old Joe Biden aka Creepy Joe Biden aka Sleepy-Creepy Joe aka China Joe aka Pedjo Biden aka Hands aka You'sa Ho Biden.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me

This is the same shit libs said in 2008

Florida Man

So it's President Tweety up against Sleepy Joe aka Slow Joe aka Old Joe Biden aka Creepy Joe Biden aka Sleepy-Creepy Joe aka China Joe aka Pedjo Biden aka Hands aka You'sa Ho Biden.
Sounding like an old Bodega Boys podcast.

Revan

Assumptionman
This is the same shit libs said in 2008
Did they?

It doesn't matter what they said. Parties evolve all the time to track voters. If their baseline shrinks, then they have no other choice but to adapt in order to attract other voters.

Just look at the picture below:

No, it is not a photoshopped photo. Democrats won most of the Southern states, including what are now strong GOP states (Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, South and North Carolina, Tennese, Georgia, Kentucky and so on), while GOP won California, Washington State, Illinois and New Jersey. Looks pretty crazy if you project current division. But since then (1976) both parties evolved, to the point that in the states I mentioned GOP easily wins, while Dems win easily California and co.

If Texas becomes a blue state, then likely Florida and Arizona would have become blue states too, and maybe some states that are lean GOP, would be solid blue. That would destroy any path to the White House GOP might have. And they won't have any choice but to adapt. Heck, if only Texas become a blue state, GOP will have to evolve or see the White House only from the TV.

WPMUFC

Why did he do this?

Don't think it has anything to do with Tara Reade. I think it's as simple as "look at my token black female friend". Although i did read that the biden camp was starting to get peeved with Stacey going out there basically begging for the job. Maybe they actually wanted to embarrass her? Take her down a notch or two?

EDIT: there's no way you do that to her on MSNBC if she's an actual VP candidate. If she's been vetted, she's off the list already.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

@Revan They will change, but it’s in a different trajectory than the one you think.

States like Missouri, Indiana are now solid GOP, IA/OH lean red, PA/WI trending that way. Florida will always be Florida with that panhandle and the old retirees population, so IA+OH+PA wash out Texas, WI equals AZ and then MI/MN might be under threat as well as the rest of the Midwest become redder as young people migrate out of states leaving a closed off, growing older, susceptible to right wing propaganda population behind.

Demographic is not destiny, especially with gerrymandering.

SirAF

Ageist

Don't tease me :drool:

Drifter

American
Don't think it has anything to do with Tara Reade. I think it's as simple as "look at my token black female friend". Although i did read that the biden camp was starting to get peeved with Stacey going out there basically begging for the job. Maybe they actually wanted to embarrass her? Take her down a notch or two?

EDIT: there's no way you do that to her on MSNBC if she's an actual VP candidate. If she's been vetted, she's off the list already.
Yes does seem like that may be it .But it should have been done in private, the look on Stacey's face was priceless.

Drifter

American
All Texans can vote by mail after judge rules absentee ballot restrictions are illegal

A federal judge on Tuesday opened a path for a massive expansion in absentee voting in Texas by ordering that all state voters regardless of age qualify for a mail-in ballot during the coronavirus pandemic.

Days after two hour preliminary injunction hearing in San Antonio, U.S. District Judge Fred Biery agreed with individual Texas voters and the Texas Democratic Party that voters would face irreparable harm if existing age eligibility rules for voting by mail remain in place for elections held while the coronavirus remains in wide circulation. Under his order, which will surely be appealed, voters under the age of 65 who would ordinarily not qualify for a mail-in ballot would now be eligible.

In the federal lawsuit, the Texas Democrats argued that holding traditional elections under the circumstances brought on by the coronavirus pandemic would impose unconstitutional and illegal burdens on voters unless state law was clarified to expand who can qualify to vote by mail.

They focused, in part, on the state’s eligibility rules that limit absentee voting based on age to those who are 65 or older. They argued that rule violated the U.S. Constitution because it would impose additional burdens on voters who are younger than 65 during the pandemic, and Biery agreed.

In ruling against the state, Biery cast aside arguments made by the Texas attorney general’s office that he should wait until a case in state district court is fully adjudicated. In that case, state District Judge Tim Sulak ruled that susceptibility to the coronavirus counts as a disability under the state election code. That ruling was put on hold by the Texas Supreme Court last week.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
All Texans can vote by mail after judge rules absentee ballot restrictions are illegal
Don't think ti'll matter this time, but still an actual positive thing to come out of these judgements - that's something!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Did they?

It doesn't matter what they said. Parties evolve all the time to track voters. If their baseline shrinks, then they have no other choice but to adapt in order to attract other voters.

Just look at the picture below:

No, it is not a photoshopped photo. Democrats won most of the Southern states, including what are now strong GOP states (Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, South and North Carolina, Tennese, Georgia, Kentucky and so on), while GOP won California, Washington State, Illinois and New Jersey. Looks pretty crazy if you project current division. But since then (1976) both parties evolved, to the point that in the states I mentioned GOP easily wins, while Dems win easily California and co.

If Texas becomes a blue state, then likely Florida and Arizona would have become blue states too, and maybe some states that are lean GOP, would be solid blue. That would destroy any path to the White House GOP might have. And they won't have any choice but to adapt. Heck, if only Texas become a blue state, GOP will have to evolve or see the White House only from the TV.
I see this as a simple trend where states with large population centers are (or soon will be) trending blue. PA, AZ, TX, GA, NV, CO, VA etc. It began with VA in the 90s and 2000s, CO and NV in the 2010s, AZ over the past 2-3 years, and is now beginning reach GA and TX, and the Dems are dominating PA politics now again as well after many of the 2016 Trump voters jumped off the ship at the mid terms. The only exception here are WI and FL, but then again Biden has led in every poll in both states since becoming the presumptive nominee when Sanders dropped out in early April.

SirAF

Ageist
I see this as a simple trend where states with large population centers are (or soon will be) trending blue. PA, AZ, TX, GA, NV, CO, VA etc. It began with VA in the 90s and 2000s, CO and NV in the 2010s, AZ over the past 2-3 years, and is now beginning reach GA and TX, and the Dems are dominating PA politics now again as well after many of the 2016 Trump voters jumped off the ship at the mid terms. The only exception here are WI and FL, but then again Biden has led in every poll in both states since becoming the presumptive nominee when Sanders dropped out in early April.
Hypothetically speaking, do you think it is realistic to eradicate GOP in terms of the presidency when you consider the current demographic trend?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hypothetically speaking, do you think it is realistic to eradicate GOP in terms of the presidency when you consider the current demographic trend?
It will always come down to which candidates both parties run in elections and how the campaigns are run imo. What's pretty inescapable is that if Texas becomes a battleground state, losing it would choke off most plausible paths to 270 for the GOP, since if you're losing Texas, you're probably also at risk of losing states like GA and NC.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It will always come down to which candidates both parties run in elections and how the campaigns are run imo. What's pretty inescapable is that if Texas becomes a battleground state, losing it would choke off most plausible paths to 270 for the GOP, since if you're losing Texas, you're probably also at risk of losing states like GA and NC.
of course its probably more realistic that the GOP moves position in line with opinions / demographics to remain viable... plus if the dems run all the way over to the left with AOC the GOP might also eat into the more centrist voters... though if america keeps on polarizing they may become a dying bread

SirAF

Ageist
Thanks

All bread is dying, if you think about it.
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.