2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abizzz

That's still a surprise to you? I thought the last years (and decade) have clearly shown that Trump's show of self-confidence is a smokescreen hiding his insecurity. I mean, he always responds to every little thing anyone says about him. Biden should totally bring up his little hands!

That's the thing, anything happening in these debates is the result of negotiations between the Biden and Trump teams. If the Trump team doesn't want a mute button, it's not going to happen. The moderator also can't do much except for asking Trump to STFU - so the next debate is probably going to go exactly like yesterday's.
They could easily negotiate there not being a mute button and then use one though. It's not like they have anything to lose, there won't be another round of debates with him, and he never keeps his own word.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They could easily negotiate there not being a mute button and then use one though. It's not like they have anything to lose, they're won't be another round of debates with him, and he never keeps his own word.
The Biden team doesn't control the debate though. How could they have an exclusive mute button? Also, if that sort of thing would happen, Trump would have actual proof of 'the system' being stacked against him, which wouldn't help Biden either.

Abizzz

The Biden team doesn't control the debate though. How could they have an exclusive mute button? Also, if that sort of thing would happen, Trump would have actual proof of 'the system' being stacked against him, which wouldn't help Biden either.
Well, no, Biden couldn't do that, but the "Presidential debates commission" could. They could do the same to Biden's microphone during Donnie's 2 minutes too. Not that they'd ever have enough character to actually enforce any sort of minimum standard of decency in the debates they host though.

Last edited:

Red Stone

Narcissism. Biden needs to do three things in the next 'debates"

1. Speak to the camera ONLY.
2. Laugh at Trump when he's speaking.
3. Don't answer Trump's questions directed at him, only the moderators questions.
And they need to start muting the mics so only the candidate who's been given the word is heard by the audience. Trump has shown that he can't behave himself and follow the rules of a debate, so the moderators need to be able to cut the mics if either candidate gets too out of hand with the interruptions.

If those four things happen I imagine it'll be like the South Park episode with Cartman and the Dog Whisperer.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
And they need to start muting the mics so only the candidate who's been given the word is heard by the audience. Trump has shown that he can't behave himself and follow the rules of a debate, so the moderators need to be able to cut the mics if either candidate gets too out of hand with the interruptions.

If those four things happen I imagine it'll be like the South Park episode with Cartman and the Dog Whisperer.

Get a grip - a seasoned debater would be able to handle Trump. Biden is just weak. Even his tie is weak. Trump not behaving is what makes him endearing to many.

Hate the guy - but I do not matter - its the fringe voter and many who voted Trump LTO would love Trump last night. I honestly look at Biden and see him worse the Clinton. At least with Clinton she had a strong voice. Biden is old and comes across as old

baskinginthesun

Narcissism. Biden needs to do three things in the next 'debates"

1. Speak to the camera ONLY.
2. Laugh at Trump when he's speaking.
3. Don't answer Trump's questions directed at him, only the moderators questions.
This. If Biden can just go into 2 minutes of "uncontrolled" laughing while Trump speaks it would utterly derail him. He can respond with phrases like, "you're telling a joke which is why i'm laughing." There is no way Trump could ignore that.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
What debate did you watch?

Biden can get very scrappy and aggressive (too much at times) but he was clearly instructed not to legitimize Trump s yelling. You got a glimpse of that in moments when he told him to shut up. He can and should get more dirty a bit though - just like he demolished Palin before.

I agree Biden needs to keep up laughing off Trump s antics and get him fired up. Second half of debate was just Trump old man yelling.

I expect Harris to be the true aggressor and call out Pence to appeal to the dangers to our democracy his buddy in the WH represents.

The very same as you. But all over the internet and media are different opinions. This one was mine. So there is seemingly no "obvious" opinion about the 'winner' in this debate.

If you ask me, someone who doesn't follow american politics much at all, Biden seemed very boring and had nothing to offer to me personally where i would say "hmm okay i agree" Just a washed up politician who tries to present himself best possible without saying anything interesting. While Trump atleast seemed passionate about what he had to say.

But I don't like either of them. It's basically a choice between plague and cholera. I wouldn't vote any of them.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's the thing, anything happening in these debates is the result of negotiations between the Biden and Trump teams. If the Trump team doesn't want a mute button, it's not going to happen. The moderator also can't do much except for asking Trump to STFU - so the next debate is probably going to go exactly like yesterday's.
Your probably right... id like to think the network would say because of the disregard of agreed rules we won't broadcast without a mute button and that the other networks would agree that nobody else would step in and do it without a mute facility... but in practical terms I doubt that will happen which is a shame I think because the current format was not beneficial to American democracy and also imo is detrimental to americas international standing / reputation

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
This. If Biden can just go into 2 minutes of "uncontrolled" laughing while Trump speaks it would utterly derail him. He can respond with phrases like, "you're telling a joke which is why i'm laughing." There is no way Trump could ignore that.
This is terrible advice. When is the last time you went outside?

Mercurial

The very same as you. But all over the internet and media are different opinions. This one was mine. So there is seemingly no "obvious" opinion about the 'winner' in this debate.

If you ask me, someone who doesn't follow american politics much at all, Biden seemed very boring and had nothing to offer to me personally where i would say "hmm okay i agree" Just a washed up politician who tries to present himself best possible without saying anything interesting. While Trump atleast seemed passionate about what he had to say.

But I don't like either of them. It's basically a choice between plague and cholera. I wouldn't vote any of them.
Plague kills you on a cellular level from the inside out, Cholera you can cure with saline drip.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Did not watch the debate live - No Trump fan (I hate the p***k) but I've watched a lot of coverage this morning.

Just going on this coverage alone - the clips being shown after the debate - Trump held his own, Biden does not come across strong, Trump has passion. I'd be happy with Trump after looking at clips this morning.
I figured you'd find Trump a kindred spirit, what with your shared love of building walls.

SirAF

Ageist

Wow.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No one won that debate. The winners were the viewers who put up with it
Only the ones that got a good drinking game out of it though. I didn't watch it, but I get the impression that anyone who sat through this soberly came out feeling more stupid and depressed.

GiddyUp

A german who wouldn't vote against a racist pig because the other one is too weak and old. Didn't you guys get into a bit of trouble a while back by ignoring people of this character?

Djemba-Djemba

Christ you were being serious?

Trump seemed passionate?

Dearie me.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I’ll be honest. The last bit of the debate gets a bit hazy in my memory as well. There is a lot of whiskey missing from the jar this morning.
I blacked out after the debate ended.
Why are we even going through this 'debate' post mortem? Trump's driver is keeping himself out of prison and to that point, he'd do anything and burn anywhere to achieve that outcome. 4 more years of his Presidency is his only way of doing that.
There is zero chance Trump gets any prison time.
If they don't, then America becomes a banana republic, neo-fascist state and American democracy crumbles away.
There was never a democracy to begin with. American government answers to the billionaires. And fascism in the US is already here. It’s not going away if Biden wins.

Djemba-Djemba

«If you ask me, someone who doesn't follow american politics much at all». That much is crystal clear.
Someone who doesn't follow any kind of logic or sense for how human beings behave either by the sound of things.

How anyone could watch Trump last night and have their major thought be I like his passion is baffling. He came across as an absolute unhinged fecking maniac.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
A german who wouldn't vote against a racist pig because the other one is too weak and old. Didn't you guys get into a bit of trouble a while back by ignoring people of this character?
That’s kind of harsh. If history has taught us anything it’s that Germans would never fall for the antics of a raving, belligerent, narcissistic, lying white supremacist who courted violence from his supporters. No sir, completely out of character.

MTF

The german man you're talking about... he was also "passionate", no?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Trump won this debate by a country mile. He looked confident and authentic while Biden looked fake and nervous.

Maybe Biden becomes more confident for next debates.

But I didn't like how Trump was a lot of times not able to speak his argument/question to the end.
If behaving like a maniac wins you debates then sure.

GiddyUp

That’s kind of harsh. If history has taught us anything it’s that Germans would never fall for the antics of a raving, belligerent, narcissistic, lying white supremacist who courted violence from his supporters. No sir, completely out of character.
My bad, he was Austrian after all.

sport2793

Get a grip - a seasoned debater would be able to handle Trump. Biden is just weak. Even his tie is weak. Trump not behaving is what makes him endearing to many.

Hate the guy - but I do not matter - its the fringe voter and many who voted Trump LTO would love Trump last night. I honestly look at Biden and see him worse the Clinton. At least with Clinton she had a strong voice. Biden is old and comes across as old
I get where you are coming from and agree that Biden was there for the taking last night as he's not a good debater but the data show that most "average Americans" don't really see it the same way as you.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Trump's passion in defending white supremacists or telling his supporters to go to the polls to keep watch and intimidate opposition voters sure was great to see.

GiddyUp

What does that have to do with what he said? It wasn't even remotely implied that he thought the "stand by" comment was fine.
No, he just thought that someone laughing at a raging fool was creepy. If that's what he takes away from it then that says more about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.