2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
A german who wouldn't vote against a racist pig because the other one is too weak and old. Didn't you guys get into a bit of trouble a while back by ignoring people of this character?
Wow.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... fascism in the US is already here. ...
If you believe that then you have no conception of what actual fascism is.

It's mass detention without trial. It's closing down institutions of higher education except those pushing a state-approved curriculum. It's shutting down all free press and media. It's mass-scale concentration camps for all 'dissidents'. It's rule by decree and violence (or threat of violence), with state-approved enactors of that violence given impunity to do whatever they wish. It's all this and more.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
They should give the debate moderator a mike-off switch, so that when it's not his turn to speak Trump's mike should be switched off.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Agree with the take of Matt Yglesias (and others I'm sure): Trump's team know he's behind, and viewed the best chance to change that being a 'you can't handle the truth' meltdown from Biden. So from the 2nd minute, he tried to goad him by being a prick.

Problem with that strategy is if there's no breakdown, it's just hours of you being a prick.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agree with the take of Matt Yglesias (and others I'm sure): Trump's team know he's behind, and viewed the best chance to change that being a 'you can't handle the truth' meltdown from Biden. So from the 2nd minute, he tried to goad him by being a prick.

Problem with that strategy is if there's no breakdown, it's just hours of you being a prick.

:lol:

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
But telling white supremacists to "stand by" wasn't?
I hate trump as much as you. But I'm looking at it from the view of people not making their minds up.

If these people didn't care about grabbing women by the pussy and his charlottleville sh*t - I reckon these voters are more interested in money in their pockets and a person who is not afraid to speak their mind.

Not my cup of tea by a mile, merely looking at it from a different narative

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
I get where you are coming from and agree that Biden was there for the taking last night as he's not a good debater but the data show that most "average Americans" don't really see it the same way as you.
The level of average Americans we are looking at here are very bottem of barrell average.

I'm open minded regards this performance from Trump. I'm sure many of these average will be just as impressed with Trump over Biden.

nimic

something nice
Scout
They should give the debate moderator a mike-off switch, so that when it's not his turn to speak Trump's mike should be switched off.
It's not like Biden wouldn't have still heard him. The only thing that would do is make Biden lose track of what he's saying without the obvious reason that Trump is yelling over him. You'd have to put them in separate rooms for this to work.

Denis79

The very same as you. But all over the internet and media are different opinions. This one was mine. So there is seemingly no "obvious" opinion about the 'winner' in this debate.

If you ask me, someone who doesn't follow american politics much at all, Biden seemed very boring and had nothing to offer to me personally where i would say "hmm okay i agree" Just a washed up politician who tries to present himself best possible without saying anything interesting. While Trump atleast seemed passionate about what he had to say.

But I don't like either of them. It's basically a choice between plague and cholera. I wouldn't vote any of them.
Did Trump actually say anything about his politics? Seemed to me all he did was attack Biden or the old administration.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Did Trump actually say anything about his politics? Seemed to me all he did was attack Biden or the old administration.
That's the kind of irony here - historically these debates have been a chance to spell out your policies.

Issue for Trump being that he doesn't have many policies, and those he does know about are hugely unpopular (banning immigration, getting rid of the ACA, helping fossil fuels).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve zero sympathy for Melania and I’m sure she’s a right old piece of work but it’s hilarious how much she trolls Trump on the sly. They can’t split up and upset the evangelists so I’m sure they’ve worked out some sort of arrangement but she’s determined to piss him off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Genuinely can anyone please tell me why this is funny ?
If you have to explain the joke it’s not funny, sorry mate I think it might be a few levels of sophistication and complexity above what you’re currently capable of. Why don’t you bookmark it and revisit it when you’re a bit older?

EDIT - That was tongue in cheek but following Glaston I sound like a cnut.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's not like Biden wouldn't have still heard him. The only thing that would do is make Biden lose track of what he's saying without the obvious reason that Trump is yelling over him. You'd have to put them in separate rooms for this to work.
That'd work. Like a prison cell for Trump and a bedroom for 'sleepy joe'.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's mass detention without trial. It's closing down institutions of higher education except those pushing a state-approved curriculum. It's shutting down all free press and media. It's mass-scale concentration camps for all 'dissidents'. It's rule by decree and violence (or threat of violence), with state-approved enactors of that violence given impunity to do whatever they wish. It's all this and more.
Detention centers(check)
Screwing with education (check)
Attacking the free press (check)
Use of violence to control protest (check)

Did you accidentally leave off the white text here?

Ivor Ballokov

I’ve zero sympathy for Melania and I’m sure she’s a right old piece of work but it’s hilarious how much she trolls Trump on the sly. They can’t split up and upset the evangelists so I’m sure they’ve worked out some sort of arrangement but she’s determined to piss him off.
Whenever I see them together I'm reminded of this from 30 Rock.

Sweet Square

If you don't see it as funny, then no one can tell you why it is.
I get that the funny part is Trump but why is someone simply lip syncing
his words funny ? It would be like some lip syncing to a song and then calling them a great singer.

There's literally no joke in that clip(If anything she's stealing Trump best comic material!).
If you have to explain the joke it’s not funny, sorry mate I think it might be a few levels of sophistication and complexity above what you’re currently capable of. Why don’t you bookmark it and revisit it when you’re a bit older?

EDIT - That was tongue in cheek but following Glaston I sound like a cnut.
:lol:

Denis79

That's the kind of irony here - historically these debates have been a chance to spell out your policies.

Issue for Trump being that he doesn't have many policies, and those he does know about are hugely unpopular (banning immigration, getting rid of the ACA, helping fossil fuels).
Interesting really, that the debates are wasted like that. Although I get it's all about swaying those that are undecided your way but does the majority of them really care about who is the best at insulting the other? Is it really a good strategy?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Detention centers(check)
Screwing with education (check)
Attacking the free press (check)
Use of violence to control protest (check)

Did you accidentally leave off the white text here?
The examples you give show the initial seeds of what can become fascism if left to grow unchecked. But criticising the free press is not the same as shutting it down. Detention centres for migrants are not the same as mass concentration camps for political opponents and ethnic and religious minorities. Screwing with education is not same as shutting down 'liberal' universities and arresting all 'liberal' professors. And so on.

It cheapens the true meaning of words - and what they've represented under Hitler or Mussolini or Stalin (for example) - to use the word 'fascism' in such a throwaway manner.

Fascism is not the current reality in the USA - far from it. But it could become that reality if Trump is not ejected from power this November.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Fascism doesn’t have to be 1940s Germany. I live here and I’m seeing the very start, which is what I was referring to. And I subscribe to the notion that fascism is capitalism in decay, where the trend here is even more inequality.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
The examples you give show the initial seeds of what can become fascism if left to grow unchecked. But criticising the free press is not the same as shutting it down. Detention centres for migrants are not the same as mass concentration camps for political opponents and ethnic and religious minorities. Screwing with education is not same as shutting down 'liberal' universities and arresting all 'liberal' professors. And so on.

It cheapens the true meaning of words - and what they've represented under Hitler or Mussolini or Stalin (for example) - to use the word 'fascism' in such a throwaway manner.

Fascism is not the current reality in the USA - far from it. But it could become that reality if Trump is not ejected from power this November.
Trump isn’t the barrier to fascism.

mu4c_20le

The examples you give show the initial seeds of what can become fascism if left to grow unchecked. But criticising the free press is not the same as shutting it down.
He isn't criticizing anymore, he's flat out discrediting them as 'fake news' and convincing people to ignore them, and instead turn to Fox, OAN, infowars and whatever weird crap they are into.

GiddyUp

I hate trump as much as you. But I'm looking at it from the view of people not making their minds up.

If these people didn't care about grabbing women by the pussy and his charlottleville sh*t - I reckon these voters are more interested in money in their pockets and a person who is not afraid to speak their mind.

Not my cup of tea by a mile, merely looking at it from a different narative
But that narrative has come to telling his shit head supporters to terrorize people at the polls and encouraging violence for an election issue that doesn't exist. Four weeks out from an election and this is the rhetoric. Its fecking unacceptable.

Suv666

Do you think Fascism happens in an instant?
Its a gradual erosion of democratic institutions.
Would you have believed me if 8 years ago I told you, the President of the United States would command a Neo Nazi far right organisation to stand down during a presidential debate? But that's normal now. Trump and his race war pals are pushing the envelope everyday inch by inch until there would be no distinction between hate speech and speech.
The first concentration camps were built in Nazi Germany not for the Jewish populace but to hold illegal immigrants.

Of course the question arises in the modern era can a major first world country slide into a full blown fascism, which is tough to answer.

Carolina Red

Staff

It seems that you’re arguing from the standpoint of “it has to be fully developed ___ to be ___” and I would disagree with that.

The ideology of fascism was eased onto the societies it ruled in stages, not all at once. That doesn’t mean fascism wasn’t there when they were early in the process.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Do you think Fascism happens in an instant?
Its a gradual erosion of democratic institutions.
Would you have believed me if 8 years ago I told you, the President of the United States would command a Neo Nazi far right organisation to stand down during a presidential debate? But that's normal now. Trump and his race war pals are pushing the envelope everyday inch by inch until there would be no distinction between hate speech and speech.
The first concentration camps were built in Nazi Germany not for the Jewish populace but to hold illegal immigrants.

Of course the question arises in the modern era can a major first world country slide into a full blown fascism, which is tough to answer.
No - which is was my post said.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It seems that you’re arguing from the standpoint of “it has to be fully developed ___ to be ___” and I would disagree with that.

The ideology of fascism was eased onto the societies it ruled in stages, not all at once. That doesn’t mean fascism wasn’t there when they were early in the process.
Yes, fascist currents clearly exist within today's Republican Party under Trump. But the USA is still far from being a fascist state. That will change if Trump retains power after this election.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

MAGA Twitter is all aflutter about the ‘obvious’ wire on Biden’s left wrist. It’s apparently Beau Biden’s rosary beads that he has worn since Beau’s death.

Status
Not open for further replies.