2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
They predicted a 29%, and that 29% happened. How is that a feck up?

Think of it in football terms, we have around a 71% chance to beat Istanbul. If we don't beat them, it doesnt mean the "odds are fecked up"
Exactly, if we're favoured by 71% to win, it's a huge upset if we lose.

Drifter

American
Not a big fan of ID politics. But for what it is worth.

Early voting brings one million Black voters to Georgia polls

ATLANTA (Reuters) - As Georgia wrapped up weeks of early voting on Friday for the Nov. 3 election, Black voter turnout had far surpassed the level seen at the same time in 2016.

Some 1 million Black voters have already cast ballots this year, up from 712,000 this time four years ago, according to TargetSmart, a Democratic analytics firm.

It is part of a rush to the polls in Georgia. More than 3.8 million Georgians had already cast ballots as of 5 p.m. on Friday, compared to 4.1 million overall in the last presidential election.

In Swainsboro, Georgia, the tiny election registration office building was the only early voting precinct, limiting entry to five voters at a time. A line of people stood at the street corner on Friday.

Jaquez Washington, 28, said his ballot “helps future generations get the treatment they deserve.” His aunt inspired him to vote, he said. “I just wanna be sure the decisions are in the right hands of the right people.”

Omar Ceesay, 41, took his 4-year-old daughter Aria to vote Thursday at the Gladys S. Dennard Library in South Fulton County, his first ballot ever.

“I want to provide for my daughter an example of what it means to stand up in this world and fight with your vote to change things which seem to work against you,” said Ceesay, who served in Iraq as a fire fighter with the Department of Defense before becoming an insurance claims adjuster.

Rashad Muneer, 31, a Black real estate investor and musician, also voted in South Fulton on Thursday.

“While I’d like to see the issue of reparations and other exclusive rights for people of color on the ballot, I use my power to vote for a more just and inclusive America. To be an activist doesn’t mean just protesting, but engaging all your civic duties, including voting,” he said.

owlo

Exactly, if we're favoured by 71% to win, it's a huge upset if we lose.
Yes, it's an upset. Like Trumps win was. That doesn't make the odds inherently wrong. They are just that, odds. We lose games we should win all the time. (and just lately, win games we shouldn't :devil:)

Charlie Foley

The first link shows me clinton had 71.4% of winning...
Ok, I think you don’t know how polls, prediction percentages, or perhaps the electoral college works. Look at how many EC votes HRC was predicted to have. Not a landslide. Look at the polls in swing states: look at the expected margin of victories there. in the margin of error. Look at how close the results were in the Midwest

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The fallout from a potential Trump victory is too fascinating for my morbid curiosity to resist at this moment. It just came bubbling of out of nowhere this feeling.

InfiniteBoredom

In the latest 538 podcast, Silver made a very good point that due to polarization and the inherent R advantage in the Electoral College, a standard polling error on either side could be the difference between a huge upset and a landslide, and people just have a hard time processing that because in electoral politics, 5 or 6 points lead have been considered pretty safe.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

This isn't going to end well. Trump and this lot are not going to take losing well. Can anyone honestly see a gentlemanly concession of defeat and a smooth transition of power?

What are the odds on that I wonder?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
To me being favoured 71% to 29% is a major lead.

Are you really telling me the polls didn't feck up?
70-30 is not a huge upset. It just really isn't. Also, as others said, the nationwide polling was also pretty accurate. That doesn't mean anything in the US though, cause the popular vote doesn't elect anyone.

From what I've read, pollsters mostly found that the problem was that they didn't factor level of education into the weighting of the people they polled, and so a particular subset of voters was overlooked. That data gap has been fixed now, so polling should be more accurate - although they won't know until after the election what other significant gaps may exist, of course.

The Firestarter

This isn't going to end well. Trump and this lot are not going to take losing well. Can anyone honestly see a gentlemanly concession of defeat and a smooth transition of power?

The bigger issue is that a lot of law enforcement in these states are now overt Trump supporters , if he decides to do it he can indeed create something similar to a mini civil war.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

It looks like Abbot found a new use for the Texas Rangers.

nimic

something nice
Scout
They predicted a 29%, and that 29% happened. How is that a feck up?

Think of it in football terms, we have around a 71% chance to beat Istanbul. If we don't beat them, it doesnt mean the "odds are fecked up"
The polls didn't predict 29%, to be fair. Models based on polls predicted 29%. Or rather, 538 did, others predicted way lower. There's no reason not to give polls a reasonable amount of trust today, but theres's also no doubt that pollsters did mess up in 2016, mostly in the battleground states. The hope and expectation is that they've accounted for those mistakes this time around (such as weighting of education).

SinNombre

70-30 is not a huge upset in mathematical terms.

That said, it felt like one, since most of the mainstream media but also general commentary including on the caf in the election thread thought it was a slam dunk in the lead up to it. Amongst major "pundits" or aggregators, only 538 was still giving Trump this big a chance. Almost every neutral poll was significantly more in favour of Clinton.

Using the 538 numbers now (correctly) to say Trump always had a chance has some amount of hindsight bias. The likes of Nate Cohn amongst others were all giving Hillary a 85% or greater probability, and we saw the same confidence at Caf and the general left-leaning population.

Clinton Has Solid Lead in Electoral College; Trump’s Winning Map Is Unclear.

Again, the polls are close enough that the possibility of a victory for Mr. Trump is still quite real. But it's just not clear exactly how or where he would break through. It doesn't seem that the Trump campaign knows either.
This was from his last assessment. Mathematically, Cohn realized Trump had a real chance but subjectively, wasn't able to believe it.

Charlie Foley

That said, it felt like one, since most of the mainstream media but also general commentary including on the caf in the election thread thought it was a slam dunk in the lead up to it. Amongst major "pundits" or aggregators, only 538 was still giving Trump this big a chance. Almost every neutral poll was significantly more in favour of Clinton.

Using the 538 numbers now (correctly) to say Trump always had a chance has some amount of hindsight bias. The likes of Nate Cohn amongst others were all giving Hillary a 85% or greater probability, and we saw the same confidence at Caf and the general left-leaning population.

This was from his last assessment. Mathematically, Cohn realized Trump had a real chance but subjectively, wasn't able to believe it.
That last point is key and why I got really pissed off with Cohn for a few years. He was letting his own subjective opinions get in the way of his own data.

owlo

The polls didn't predict 29%, to be fair. Models based on polls predicted 29%. Or rather, 538 did, others predicted way lower. There's no reason not to give polls a reasonable amount of trust today, but theres's also no doubt that pollsters did mess up in 2016, mostly in the battleground states. The hope and expectation is that they've accounted for those mistakes this time around (such as weighting of education).
You're right. (Though the reason it was at 29% was largely to account for possible polling errors) - The polls weren't that far wrong though, which is why it was at 29%. (the probability of the polls being fecked.) If he wins this time, then something has gone seriously wrong with them.

I didn't cover 2016, but the post mortem of it would definitely suggest you're correct. It's not the pollsters job to be right; it's the modelers job to analyse the polls to determine how weightworthy they are. (I know Nate Silver disagrees with that statement to a large extent, but it's my opinion. You need to vet your data.)

The systemic problem [of not weighting by education] wasn't THAT large though. Objectively, there was uncertainty in the data. Now I can't say whether I'd have been psychologically sucked in too, but it seems to have happened a lot and scarred people in the years since. They may even have overadjusted. We'll see.

owlo

USPS delivered an international "express" package after 5 weeks in August for me.
feck. Maybe I shouldn't have requested those guitar parts be shipped USPS. :nervous:
USPS Priority are taking approximately 4-10 weeks for me.

Had one auction on 28th September which has now arrived safelty.
Another from 4th October is "In Transit to next destination"
And another from 12th August is in the same state.

The first one worried me as it was literally an irreplacable item, but I'm getting used to it. All LA International hub by the way

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Guessing before it's all over, or thereafter, there will be a few million ballots ruled void someway or another. Dirty tricks and suppression. Could be just enough to win this or that state and sneak the EC, again.

owlo

This was weird af. The court has had over a week on this and declined to rule, in which time over 100K more happened. Can't see it being successful, but it's weird.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Surely the high voter turnout in terms of early voting is bad for Trump? His voters will go out and vote for him no matter what but a high turnout this early would lean more towards favouring Biden right?

Status
Not open for further replies.