2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suv666

Just to confirm Nevada, Wisconsin and Michigan means Biden wins right?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
To counter the doom sayers a bit after sleeping on it- Clinton won re-election after what (at the time) many thought was a scandal to end his presidency (clearly that is nothing compared to all the Trump shit), then people thought surely W wouldn't win re-election (and I guess technically he didnt.. But that story is known) - but they did anyway.

Unseating the incumbent is very very hard so if Biden wins this - I hope the Dems and voters dont linger too much on the win not being big enough. Clearly that didn't discourage Trump from saying feck you to the majority of the country.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nevada is a bit of a worry, otherwise should be in the bag.

What's with AZ, when will those results be official ? AP already gave that state to Biden..
This is it. Champagne will be popped open tonight and then tomorrow morning Nevada will go to Trump and then the sky will turn blood red.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There was a hope for a resounding victory that might provide a basis for sweeping away the shitstain that was Trump's presidency. Instead we had a president say that counting votes is stealing an election if rump is already winning. So yeah.
The American people are to blame.
Hilary was right. "Deplorables'.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
So is the senate definitely staying Republican?
Likely, biggest hope is that both Georgia seats go to a run-off and there's a huge Dem effort to get them over the line in Jan.

Infra-red

I’ll admit, it is great theater. I just hate the EC system.
Surely this has to be revisited?

Clinton won by three million votes in 2016; Biden is going to win by many more than that - the fact that it's on a knife edge like this seems, as someone watching from the outside, like a complete nonsense.

Tarrou

Nevada is a bit of a worry, otherwise should be in the bag.

What's with AZ, when will those results be official ? AP already gave that state to Biden..
I don't think Nevada is much of a worry

Biden's ahead and mostly mail in votes to come

Carolina Red

Staff
So Biden, who has broken the record for most votes ever received by a candidate for a US Presidential Election might still not be President.

Absolutely bonkers!
And Trump can lose in ‘16 by 2 million votes and win by about 100 EC votes.

But people still “objectively” argue the EC is a solid way to do things. Yeah, right...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

The state of this. Of course Johnny Rotten that noted anti establishment voice is noe a Trump supporter.
Johnny Rotten supporting the billionaire sums up the stupidity behind Trump's success. His reasoning appears to be solely based on him not being a politician and that apparently being refreshing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And Trump can lose in ‘16 by 2 million votes and win by about 100 EC votes.

But people still “objectively” argue the EC is a solid way to do things. Yeah, right...
Because it favours the Republicans. If it favoured the democrats it would have been changed a long time ago.

Carolina Red

Staff

Clinton won by three million votes in 2016; Biden is going to win by many more than that - the fact that it's on a knife edge like this seems, as someone watching from the outside, like a complete nonsense.
It would require an amendment, and the GOP (who used to be in favor of getting rid of it) will defend its existence with their supporters very lives if they have to.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
All the swing state results are way closer to RCP's weighted average than they are to what you/538 were claiming.

I am too tired to discuss further if your entire argument is that Trump actually getting fairly good turnout numbers is a systematic polling error and therefore can be ignored. That's a hilariously bad take.
The problem is, as it was in 2016, most polling can't really get an accurate random representative data set. Period. Too many people take polls as gospel (I blame how the media constantly reports every single poll including meaningless nationwide popular vote polls). They are all based on subjective weighting factors that hopefully balance out but lately they didn't weight them accurately.
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it if there was more balance - that is media showed a lot more focus groups and revealed how actual voters think but they all go to the easy "story" rather than put in more research and dig into the electorate at a deeper level.

On another note, this shows, again, the problem with the Democrats. They do polling and call it a day. Republicans poll too but they also, at least for a long time with Luntz, did focus groups and then craft their message based around what people are saying appeals to them. Democrats are still fairly poor at framing (although Biden admittedly did much better than Hilary)

(not all of this is a direct reply to your post obviously but it had me thinking)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Is that 50% rule only for Georgia?
If Collins doesn't get 50% in Maine I believe it goes to ranked choice voting, but that won't need a re-run and she probably still takes it.

InfiniteBoredom

If you can believe it, back in 1970, Richard Nixon was working with congressional Democrats to abolish the EC.

Every 4 years a terrible stress test is put on that archaic system, an abomination born out of white slaveowners desire to exert their influence over the free labour states. Unfortunately naked interest from both the minority party and the swing states mean it ‘s here to stay and it’s a matter of if not when it diverges from the will of the people again.

Status
Not open for further replies.