2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
BBC is a good news outlet, especially for the U.K but let's not pretend they don't also have a heavy, heavy bias. In reporting Iraq invasion and anything related to Russia or even NATO the BBC is ridiculously biased. Of course, it is probably better than any other state run news outlet but do not for a moment take what it reports about anything related to middle east as unbiased.
What's the BBC's "heavy bias" ?

nimic

something nice
Scout
BBC is a good news outlet, especially for the U.K but let's not pretend they don't also have a heavy, heavy bias. In reporting Iraq invasion and anything related to Russia or even NATO the BBC is ridiculously biased. Of course, it is probably better than any other state run news outlet but do not for a moment take what it reports about anything related to middle east as unbiased.
NRK is what the BBC wishes it was.

Boycott

I saw a Jacobin writer try and spin Trump's unhinged ramblings of a maniac as being something only media pundits and elitists will take issue with but the working class all love and resonate with.

It reinforces my belief extremely online commentators claiming to represent the working man first are the real out of touch people. They think in theoretical terms centered around class. Nearly 90% of black voters rejected Trump last time. Are they elitists? Get real.

The majority of working class people aren't brash, obnoxious, foghorns spewing with anger at invisible forces. You behave like Trump does and you'd get loathed pretty quickly.

There are a segment of people who love his bullying. They're not as big as they think.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I saw a Jacobin writer try and spin Trump's unhinged ramblings of a maniac as being something only media pundits and elitists will take issue with but the working class all love and resonate with.

It reinforces my belief extremely online commentators claiming to represent the working man first are the real out of touch people. They think in theoretical terms centered around class. Nearly 90% of black voters rejected Trump last time. Are they elitists? Get real.

The majority of working class people aren't brash, obnoxious, foghorns spewing with anger at invisible forces. You behave like Trump does and you'd get loathed pretty quickly.

There are a segment of people who love his bullying. They're not as big as they think.
You're not really wrong, completely, but it might be worth remembering that Trump got 46% of the votes in the last election. And at that point everyone should have been perfectly aware of what kind of person he was. Grab them by the pussy was the least of his scandals.

Boycott

You're not really wrong, completely, but it might be worth remembering that Trump got 46% of the votes in the last election. And at that point everyone should have been perfectly aware of what kind of person he was. Grab them by the pussy was the least of his scandals.
I agree no question.

Just can't fathom there are people on the left making these arguments. This guy works for Jacobin - a magazine that's core reader base wants to guillotine Jeff Bezos yet think this guy appeals to the working class

I guess they're the same people who think Joe Rogan represents the working class because he's confident in his ignorance despite never having a job outside of showbiz

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Nothing fashy about this, nothing at all. He also proclaimed that citizen poll watchers will be at the drop off locations (next tweet in thread)...

Boycott

He deleted the tweets. People jumped on his stupid idea of working class debunking his first narrative. Post-debate polls showing Biden won and had higher favorables debunked his second narrative. And that one Telemundo "poll" being unscientific because it was a twitter poll debunked his third. Twitter polls are easily hijacked as seen when Peter Crouch beat Harry Kane to be striker in Spurs team of the decade 2010-19 despite leaving Spurs in 2011. Screenshots:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Probably a perceptual illusion from only watching a curated selection of social media content. In my everyday life, it’s extremely rare to encounter anything remotely resembling the levels of idiocy that get portrayed on Twitter, which are unfortunately the only point of reference to outsiders.
This is very true. The US has a population of some 330M, so many times larger than the next 'western' country. That means that small groups of crazies are much bigger than relatively equally small groups elsewhere. Plus, the US is closely watched by the entire 'western' world, so we notice what's happening there much more than in, say, Germany - which has actually had a lot of COVID-19 protests as well, and has a large number of extreme-right organizations that have even been committing terror acts in the past few years and have started to influence national politics through the rise of the AfD. But non-Germans are unlikely to know that, while we do notice every weird fart in the US.

It also doesn't help that Trump is a complete trainwreck, of course. If the US president and opposition were all more sane and cooperative, it all wouldn't be as attractive as a spectacle.
That 'heavy heavy bias' appears to be left or right depending on who's disliking the BBC. Apart from, there are also good national news services elsewhere. From what I know, that includes CBC and Radio-Canada in Canada, NOS in the Netherlands, and Yle in Finland. They just don't have the same reach as the BBC - partly because they don't cover international affairs as widely (and because two of these aren't in English, of course).

Sweet Square

He deleted the tweets. People jumped on his stupid idea of working class debunking his first narrative. Post-debate polls showing Biden won and had higher favorables debunked his second narrative. And that one Telemundo "poll" being unscientific because it was a twitter poll debunked his third. Twitter polls are easily hijacked as seen when Peter Crouch beat Harry Kane to be striker in Spurs team of the decade 2010-19 despite leaving Spurs in 2011. Screenshots:

Cheers for this.

Yeah that's some pretty dumb tweets. It's always been odd to me how people can just generalize and say working class people think x.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
And the really scary part is that if the election had just been white men voting, he’d have won with 62% of the vote. Just white people and he’d have still won with 54%. He actually won with just 45% incidentally.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Cue ‘not her first virus’ jokes.

Could this be an elaborate way to call off the next two debates?

sport2793

Part of me wants Trump to be healthy until he gets defeated on November 3rd. After that, well....

Status
Not open for further replies.