40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd rather not play on the weekend @Invictus , Monday to Friday is fine though. Whatever fits your schedule best.

Moby

Dick
:lol:

Wednesday it is @Aldo . You're still running this draft, right?
Yep. Though I won't mind a volunteer to keep things ticking in case I'm not around.

Please keep filling this as you guys decide.

10 Oct - Saturday

11 Oct - Sunday

12 Oct - Monday

13 Oct - Tuesday

14 Oct - Wednesday
Balu v Invictus

15 Oct - Thursday

16 Oct - Friday

As the last draft, all matches must be completed within a week. Please respect the deadlines.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Bloody Pele in the first game itself
Who? Oh, that guy. I wouldn't worry about him. I've decided that my team appeals mainly to British bigots, so I'll probably bench him. He's the most likely to alienate my core supporters.

I'll stick England in the hole, like as not - he's not ideal for the part, one might say, but I'll get plenty of votes (from bigots, that is) on his name alone.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
When do you wanna do this thing, @crappycraperson? Doesn't really matter to me, so just pick and choose.

EDIT Tomorrow is bad, so Sunday at the earliest - but other than that, anything goes.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
10 Oct - Saturday

11 Oct - Sunday

12 Oct - Monday

13 Oct - Tuesday

14 Oct - Wednesday
Balu v Invictus

15 Oct - Thursday
harms v RedTiger

16 Oct - Friday

ctp

10 Oct - Saturday

11 Oct - Sunday

12 Oct - Monday

13 Oct - Tuesday
Gio/Theon vs ctp

14 Oct - Wednesday
Balu v Invictus

15 Oct - Thursday
harms v RedTiger

16 Oct - Friday

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Btw, any notable absentees in this draft? Was rather surprised that Eddie Gray and Allan Mullery weren't picked. Pat Rice and Gorgon too were rather unlucky to miss out. Was pretty close to picking Willie Johnston myself, after checking out some footage of Greig's Rangers.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Btw, any notable absentees in this draft? Was rather surprised that Eddie Gray and Allan Mullery weren't picked. Pat Rice and Gorgon too were rather unlucky to miss out. Was pretty close to picking Willie Johnston myself, after checking out some footage of Greig's Rangers.
Yeah I thought Eddie Gray would have gone as there weren't a load of great of left-wingers and he's been voted Leeds 3rd greatest ever player. On the Scottish theme, Willie Henderson was one I thought might have gone, he was pretty close to Johnstone in the 1960s. Francisco Sa at centre-half, Mullery in midfield and Dumitrache and Bianchi going forward were ones who looked good enough to make the cut.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yeah I thought Eddie Gray would have gone as there weren't a load of great of left-wingers and he's been voted Leeds 3rd greatest ever player. On the Scottish theme, Willie Henderson was one I thought might have gone, he was pretty close to Johnstone in the 1960s. Francisco Sa at centre-half, Mullery in midfield and Dumitrache and Bianchi going forward were ones who looked good enough to make the cut.
Aye, I'd have picked Gray myself if Gadocha was gone before my pick. Also had my eye on Archie Gemmil, Willie Johnston, Wille Henderson and Willie Wallace from the Scottish pool too but Jonhston was the one who caught my eye the most. Thought Holzenbein would have been picked at some point too.

Friday should work. But any day is fine really. Pencil us in for whenever.

Friday's are better because I think it gives @Pat_Mustard a chance to get a bit of liquor in him before arguing :)
Friday it is then, good luck mate.

10 Oct - Saturday

11 Oct - Sunday

12 Oct - Monday

13 Oct - Tuesday
Gio/Theon vs ctp

14 Oct - Wednesday
Balu v Invictus

15 Oct - Thursday
harms v RedTiger

16 Oct - Friday
joga bonito V Skizz Mustard

Skizzo

Aye, I'd have picked Gray myself if Gadocha had slipped through. Also had my eye on Archie Gemmil, Willie Johnston, Wille Henderson and Willie Wallace from the Scottish pool too but Jonhston was the one who caught my eye the most. Thought Holzenbein would have been picked at some point too.

Friday it is then, good luck mate.

10 Oct - Saturday

11 Oct - Sunday

12 Oct - Monday

13 Oct - Tuesday
Gio/Theon vs ctp

14 Oct - Wednesday
Balu v Invictus

15 Oct - Thursday
harms v RedTiger

16 Oct - Friday
joga bonito V Skizz Mustard
Sounds good. Looking forward to it mate. Should be a fun discussion. Good luck :)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I thought Chester might nab him after the Pele pick, but Greaves presents his own compelling case.
Never considered him. Not because of his quality but for the simple reason that Greaves just sort of fell into my lap. I wasn't looking at strikers or attackers whatsoever, I was just leisurely composing a short list of midfielders and defenders, when I suddenly realized that Greaves was eligible. I knew he broke through early, of course, but I had him down as a late 30s rather than an early 40s man - and then presto, my turn came up and nobody had picked the fecker.

Only question was whether I should risk losing out on a truly great defender (i.e. Chumpitaz) - which I did, of course. And then, once Greaves was in the bag, I never bothered with further strikers (or even pure attackers), as I didn't need them per my approach.

Same reason I never considered either Gray or Wee Willie (whom you mentioned above). Too wingery, too attacky. DIdn't fit the bill. Bit boring, actually - but there it is. If I hadn't won the lottery with Pelé I would've gone for a completely different strategy, and picked completely different players in most positions - but I couldn't pass on Pelé. Never had him before.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
@Gol123 I am free this weekend and next week so whenever you'd like to play mate. Would prefer the weekend though.
I'm not too sure whether I will have a write up by Saturday and Sunday is a bit of a bitch when Monday is concerned. I would rather nail the write up though.... Actually, with a lot of work, I could sneak it in for tomorrow.

Tuppet

I'm not too sure whether I will have a write up by Saturday and Sunday is a bit of a bitch when Monday is concerned. I would rather nail the write up though.... Actually, with a lot of work, I could sneak it in for tomorrow.
Sweet, so tomorrow then.

10 Oct - Saturday
gol123 vs Tuppet

11 Oct - Sunday

12 Oct - Monday

13 Oct - Tuesday
Gio/Theon vs ctp

14 Oct - Wednesday
Balu v Invictus

15 Oct - Thursday
harms v RedTiger

16 Oct - Friday