A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

BlueHaze

Come on Poch. For once in your life don't bottle it and knock those feckers out please. Ah feck who am I kidding, see you next year..

Trizy

Brilliant performance and deserved winners. Can't see them doing it n the return leg with Kane and.. the fact they're Spurs.

Either way Poch got it spot on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Just to bold the most important part.
So now we added Poch to our agenda. Liverpool not winning PL is number one. City not winning double is no2. And Poch failing is no3.
Only one month ago 70% or 80% of Caf wanted him for new manager. But now he is again a man who can't win trophy.

Ban

So now we added Poch to our agenda. Liverpool not winning PL is number one. City not winning double is no2. And Poch failing is no3.
Only one month ago 70% or 80% of Caf wanted him for new manager. But now he is again a man who can't win trophy.
What agenda? I'm not following you.
Nobody said he can't win a trophy. He hasn't until now so until he does we cant be sure if he can.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The first half was just a brilliant setup from Poch. I said this in the match thread: Guardiola does not relinquish control of the midfield. To wrestle control away like that was just excellent. Had City on the back foot constantly, and only excellent defending (and poor final balls) kept Spurs out.

They lost momentum after the half (Kane's injury didn't help) and rode their luck a bit but overall the result is deserved.

Remains to be seen if they can keep out a City side that doesn't have Gundogan or Mahrez or Delph at the Etihad.

Sauldogba

Will just get hammered in two weeks.
Wash,rinse,repeat.
Bottlers,lads its spurs, etc.

I like him though, for some reason even though hes won zilch.
Will be interesting to see how he does at a big club.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, it's weird how people like to pretend he's working with some bang average players. Squad depth is definitely an issue but their starting 11 is damn good. You can't wank over half their players in the transfer forum and then play them down in the FF to big up Poch :lol:
Yes, that is true. Spurs have excellent first 11. But there is one thing. He made those players good as they are now. He promoted Alli and Kane. He bought Son and Toby. When Eriksen came Spurs, he was 10mil player. Now he is 100mil player. He built excellent squad and put Spurs back on map.

Last edited:

432JuanMata

Yes, that is true. Spurs have excellent first 11. But there is one thing. He made those players good as they are now. He promoted Alli and Kane. He bought Son and Toby. When Eriksen came in Spurs he was 10mil player. Now he is 100mil player. He built excellent squad and put Spurs back on map.
How dare you talk sense.

While I hope Ole is a success here and I have faith he will. A bad run of results for Spurs doesn't change my mind in thinking Poch was the one.

Irwin99

He's built a very good side but although people talk about the lack of squad depth I think they need another top class attacking player in the first team.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Yes, that is true. Spurs have excellent first 11. But there is one thing. He made those players good as they are now. He promoted Alli and Kane. He bought Son and Toby. When Eriksen came in Spurs he was 10mil player. Now he is 100mil player. He built excellent squad and put Spurs back on map.
Remember that Kane was only brought in after Soldado got injured and Pochettino had no other striking options. He bought Soldado knowing that Kane was at the club. Remember that players do improve by their own efforts and it isn’t just down to the manager’s ‘genius’.

Patrick08

How dare you talk sense.

While I hope Ole is a success here and I have faith he will. A bad run of results for Spurs doesn't change my mind in thinking Poch was the one.
Madrid snubbed him too, may be he was not interested in moving right now.

Vadim

I like him. But Utd fans going mad because we appointed OGS is silly. Poch is obviously very happy in London. Not everyone wants to come to Utd!

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Will just get hammered in two weeks.
Wash,rinse,repeat.
Bottlers,lads its spurs, etc.

I like him though, for some reason even though hes won zilch.
Will be interesting to see how he does at a big club.
I feel there is huge possibility of this if Pochettino tries to alter too much of what worked so well in the first leg. He might go with the approach he did against Dortmund with three in the back and give up possession to City, but that will play into Pep hands. Same system today with Moura in place of Kane and Spurs might still go through. However, once again the quality of Pochettino squad will be tested again. If he had signed a few players last summer he could have the option to rotate, but instead he will have to squeeze everything out of the current team he has. Manchester city are still favorite to go through, but Pochettino can still put up a good fight.

marktan

I think tactically he's very strong.

Not sure how much of an input he has into signings but Spurs usually do sign good players.

With a proper budget I think he could become a title winning manager.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Really annoys me - should be coming here in June.

Really annoys me...
OK, but it was never a realistic possibility in the first place, regardless of whether you had not made Ole your permanent manager. Pochettino had signed a new, 5 year contract in the summer, did not even pursue the RM job and was/is clearly committed to the long-term project at Spurs, as he had said many times, with plenty of good reasons for being so.

MancunianBIue

Supports
Manchester Ciy
The best pound for pound manager in world football, Pochettino with Utd's budget would of been a scary sight. Hope we get him to replace Pep.

Onto 2nd leg hopefully Pep learns.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
OK, but it was never a realistic possibility in the first place, regardless of whether you had not made Ole your permanent manager. Pochettino had signed a new, 5 year contract in the summer, did not even pursue the RM job and was/is clearly committed to the long-term project at Spurs, as he had said many times, with plenty of good reasons for being so.
He wants out.

If it wasn't for our laughable, utterly inept board and ridiculously over-sentimental fanbase, he'd be on his way to where he belongs - in the Utd bosses chair.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If Spurs didn’t finish the top four, I feel like he would have been lured here. The chances are slim, but United is a much bigger club than Spurs. Increased wages, better infrastructure, better players, he will have all the motivation to move to United. If I was the board, I would add an untouchable clause in his contract where he is given time to rebuild United to become top of Euro again.

The best pound for pound manager in world football, Pochettino with Utd's budget would of been a scary sight. Hope we get him to replace Pep.

It would be one of the scariest thing in football since Messi and Ronaldo debut.

USREDEVIL

Man he wins one game at home against City and he's crowned the king of managers! Had he lost, i can only imagine the number of posts saying he was always "overrated" and "a bottler" and never good enough for Man United. Oh the reactionaries got to love them.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sure, sure. And Ole is better option for us. Self-denial is a bitch. I don't know who is trying more these days. Spurs fans who think all that what you just said or we United fans who think that we did right choice

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If Spurs didn’t finish the top four, I feel like he would have been lured here. The chances are slim, but United is a much bigger club than Spurs. Increased wages, better infrastructure, better players, he will have all the motivation to move to United. If I was the board, I would add an untouchable clause in his contract where he is given time to rebuild United to become top of Euro again.
... .
Bigger club, yes. Increased wages to offer, yes. Bigger transfer budget, yes.

But better infrastructure? No, Pochettino will likely never have a better stadium and training centre at his disposal than he now has at Spurs. And better players? Some better, some worse, but overall, no.

I think you missed the boat with Poch when you appointed Mourinho. You mighty have lured him away then, but not now.

RooneyLegend

Wasn't all that impressed. Pep took a gamble with his side not fielding certain players and it's not like Spurs were all that much better than City. I'd bet alot that they lose to City the next two games. It was nothing like what we saw Klopp do last season to Pep.

ForestRGoinUp

Not only would we have paired him with our budget, but we would've destabilized and knocked a (currently) stronger and better team out of our way in doing so...odd not to go with him.

purgethefallen

See the Poch lovers are out in force tonight.

I don't get it. City were by far the better team in the second half, just that Spurs scored against the run of play. How exactly did Poch out coach Pep tonight?

TsuWave

always comical to see people acting like Pochettino hasn't been doing a great job at Spurs over the years

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Wasn't all that impressed. Pep took a gamble with his side not fielding certain players and it's not like Spurs were all that much better than City. I'd bet alot that they lose to City the next two games. It was nothing like what we saw Klopp do last season to Pep.
The way that some posters talk (and yes, that's you too) you'd almost think it was the actual managers on the pitch playing each other in a 1 vs 1 game of football.

Klopp has had a fortune to spend on players compared to Pochettino. Is that of no account?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
See the Poch lovers are out in force tonight.

I don't get it. City were by far the better team in the second half, just that Spurs scored against the run of play. How exactly did Poch out coach Pep tonight?
Only disagreeing with this line. City did next to nothing of note in second half. Spurs looked dangerous from the off. Even without Kane, they looked the most threatening.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Only disagreeing with this line. City did next to nothing of note in second half. Spurs looked dangerous from the off. Even without Kane, they looked the most threatening.
This is false. It was clearly a game of 2 halves. City had Spurs on the ropes several times. It was such a surprise how Spurs got their goal.

In the first half though, Spurs were the dominant team.

RooneyLegend

The way that some posters talk (and yes, that's you too) you'd almost think it was the actual managers on the pitch playing each other in a 1 vs 1 game of football.

Klopp has had a fortune to spend on players compared to Pochettino. Is that of no account?
Not really cause no matter how much you spend on a player, he becomes what he becomes. Pool finished 3rd last season and Klopp still managed to pull that off. It's not like his side was fully loaded like it is now. There's no way you are going to convince anyone that what he did wasn't more impressive than what Poch did.

Spurs have some great players here and there. The difference in price tags between the sides that played might be huge buy the difference in actual quality isn't.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He wants out.

If it wasn't for our laughable, utterly inept board and ridiculously over-sentimental fanbase, he'd be on his way to where he belongs - in the Utd bosses chair.
How the feck does he want out?

You are on some roll in terms of making ridiculous statements this week. :lol:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
How the feck does he want out?

You are on some roll in terms of making ridiculous statements this week. :lol:
He's made a number of statements about investment this season - his presser was shutdown by a Levy goon when he tried to answer the question about Man Utd.

He's literally questioned the way the club is run.

Pochettino would've come here if we'd gone all out - I'm sure of that.

The backing we could've given him, and the platform is the stuff of his dreams, and we blew it, in my opinion.

Besides, if we're honest, you're sore because I disagree with the appointment of OGS as permanent manager so early, don't take it personally, it's just a difference of opinion.

RochaRoja

Remember that Kane was only brought in after Soldado got injured and Pochettino had no other striking options. He bought Soldado knowing that Kane was at the club. Remember that players do improve by their own efforts and it isn’t just down to the manager’s ‘genius’.
Soldado was signed by Villas-Boas, not Pochettino.

Adebayor actually started off as Poch’s first choice centre forward but was dropped for Kane a few months into the season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He's a terrific manager. Clearly superb at developing talent, building a squad mostly from withing, managing people and implementing his tactics. The only question mark would be to see how he'd do when he's expected to spend and win. Sadly for him Spurs are pretty much banned from spending so one can't guage him on that account.

As for managing United, he'd have been a great option. And hindsight may tell us that we should have done everything to get him instead of going for Ole. But given what we've seen under the Norwegian, we have to give him a chance to show what he's all about. He's been brilliant as interim manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's made a number of statements about investment this season - his presser was shutdown by a Levy goon when he tried to answer the question about Man Utd.

He's literally questioned the way the club is run.

Pochettino would've come here if we'd gone all out - I'm sure of that.

The backing we could've given him, and the platform is the stuff of his dreams, and we blew it, in my opinion.

Besides, if we're honest, you're sore because I disagree with the appointment of OGS as permanent manager so early, don't take it personally, it's just a difference of opinion.
He'd most likely have done a very good job for us. However it has to be said that every job is different. The pressure of winning at Manchester United combined with the dysfunctional management we've seen in the recent past, makes it a uniquely difficult job. You have to fix something that's sort of broken but also expected to be brilliant.

That said, I have no doubt he'd have been a big improvement over our previous managers. While I can't deny that Pochettino has more proper pedigree at a bigger club, hopefully Ole takes the potential shown as interim manager and delivers big time. If he gets the purchases right this summer, based on what we've seen thus far, he could very well. I think what everyone is hoping for is that he is tactically up to the level of Klopp, Pep and Pochettino.