A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's done well getting them into top 4 but if you're comparing him to previous spurs managers then you also have to look at United/Arsenal and Chelsea, these 3 teams have dropped off significantly and of course spurs do have a far better team than before.
That's a good point.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You have to look at the starting eleven Poch can field compared to previous managers though. At what point could Spurs boast arguably the best striker in world football? Along with the likes of Alli, Son, Eriksen, Toby, Moura and Lloris. You can say what you want about his lack of depth and serious spending restrictions but let’s not pretend that he’s not working with a fantastic side who could probably give anyone a game on their day.
Ran out of genuinely good players there didn't you really.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Why don't you tell us then?

And lost. And what's more, his team have lost 4 of their last 5 league games (and were a last-minute penalty kick away from losing the other one). He has had a fully fit squad at his disposal too. Not to mention his disdain for winning actual trophies, something which United still place a value on.

If anything, the praise Poch gets from the likes of you is baffling. You guys are fan boys, not neutral observers.
:lol:, If I was a spurs fan I would definitely be more insightful about their situation, but as an outsider, it is obvious one of their biggest flaw is lack of spending. 97% of top team spend big and win things, with leicester city being an outlier to that statistic. Spurs compared to their rivals spend less than half of what they spent. So, it is amazing how they are in top four.

I am not surprised you don’t understand the praise Poch receive as you don’t understand, the work it takes to be competitive when your rivals outspent you and have much more better structure and depth to challenge across different competitions. Coming into this season, I doubt many people had Spurs finishing in the top four, so I don’t know why people are surprised when their result start matching the team they have.

Stats don't support your view. Their last 5 matches prior to last night's:

There is no context to these images you presented :lol:. I have listed how the stats support my view with context that shows how Spurs where dominate in certain aspects of the game like possession, attempts on goal, chance creation, successful passes and much more.

He really, really did not. At this point you're only seeing what you want to see when it comes to Pochettino.
This is something I noticed of football fans, they see things in black and white only. If Sissoko has scored that chance, Spurs might have gone on and win the game. Pochettino would have been praised and we would not be having this discussion. Yet, Pochettino did not invest in a quality midfield last summer and instead relied on some midfielders who wouldn’t get into any other top six teams bench. Sissoko as good as he been, he is not good enough to start for a team that is challenging for top four and European competition. However, the blame shouldn’t be only towards Sissoko for that game, the keeper some on here said was as good as de Gea :lol: :lol:, made a ridiculous blunder. All of this is out of pochettino control when he doesn’t have a war chest to sign players that can improve his team.

Djemba-Djemba

I still like Pochettino.

He's a top manager and although he's said some stupid things recently I can't imagine Klopp or Guardiola would take spending feck all in either Transfer Window as professionally as he has. Can you imagine how bad Mourinho would act if he wasn't given any money whatsoever to spend?

It feels like he's taken them as far as he can though, and even he's realised that. I know there's the new stadium and all that but is that going to be enough for Pochettino? Can't imagine Spurs will be spending much for the next few years and they badly need some new players.

Amadaeus

Not for the first time this season Poch got his tactics against Liverpool completely wrong from the start and was left always chasing the game and it's not like Klopp is a tactical genius either
Pochettino started slowly, but after half time, you saw Spurs take control and they were the dominate team. Hard thing to do at Anfield. Huge blunder cost them the result, not poor tactics from Pochettino.

@Amadaeus litmus test or something...

Or was it the Amadaeus that you coined it?
Not sure what you are referring to :(

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pochettino started slowly, but after half time, you saw Spurs take control and they were the dominate team. Hard thing to do at Anfield. Huge blunder cost them the result, not poor tactics from Pochettino.

Not sure what you are referring to :(
Getting it wrong from the start is what cost Spurs potentially going from savaging a draw to actually winning the game

You're embarrassing yourself massively with your posts, give it up

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Only Amadeus could spin 1 point from 15 into a Poch masterclass. Not even Spurs fans are this delusional. Maybe he is one...

Saffron

Only Amadeus could spin 1 point from 15 into a Poch masterclass. Not even Spurs fans are this delusional. Maybe he is one...
Ask him if there ever were plans for a cheese room in their new stadium. If he denies it, he’s a Spurs fan.

Amadaeus

Getting it wrong from the start is what cost Spurs potentially going from savaging a draw to actually winning the game

:lol:, Liverpool at Anfield is not an easy place to go this season. Even if Spurs went with a traditional back four, it is only hypothetical to assume that things would have been different. With a back three, he limited the amount of goals they could have conceded with a back four. Moreover, switched it back to a back four and gain control of the game due to his game management. If it wasn’t for blunder committed by his players, Spurs would have been victorious or come out with a result. I don’t know what is embarrassing about this. I m not embarrassed to tell the truth.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

You expected Tottenham to get a win at Anfield?

I'm not sure whether you know nothing about Liverpool or this is a defense mechanism against the thought that Liverpool have been a top 5 side in Europe this season

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He did nothing wrong against Liverpool. We played well as a team, nobody has won at Anfield this season and we gave it a better go than everybody other than City. It was a good performance in isolation. There is nothing Pochettino can do when Sissoko and Lloris hand the opposition 3 points.

The problem lies in how utterly shite we've been for a good while now, to the point where we set ourselves up really needing to go to Anfield and get 3 points.

Suedesi

There is no context to these images you presented :lol:. I have listed how the stats support my view with context that shows how Spurs where dominate in certain aspects of the game like possession, attempts on goal, chance creation, successful passes and much more.
That's the xG stats for the last 5 matches.

Amadaeus

Oh good, you found a 4 years old article from Deadspin to support your view. Excellent work @Amadaeus
It can be misleading because when some modern hipster start crunching all those numbers in their models, there are a lot of things that goes unaccounted for. For example, no two moments in football are usually or ever the same. E.g., one player may be better with head than others, one player maybe more fatigued, pitch or weather conditions, pressure, mental state of footballer and so on are typically unaccounted for in those models. It can easily be bias as a machine learning algorithm that doesn’t account for racism in their training data when targeting African Americans problems in America.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You expected Tottenham to get a win at Anfield?

I'm not sure whether you know nothing about Liverpool or this is a defense mechanism against the thought that Liverpool have been a top 5 side in Europe this season
What?

DownRiver

The only option now is to buy him a pair of shorts and shave his hair off and stick him on the bench. Great Mike Phelan body double!

Saffron

A bad run no doubt. But we're still in the mix for top 4.
Curious timing of your post! You chose this time to reply to a days old post.

Are you taunting us for a loss in our own forum? Very interesting. Mods take note.

In the meantime, Pochettino has still won less than Ole.

RochaRoja

Yeah, it's weird how people like to pretend he's working with some bang average players. Squad depth is definitely an issue but their starting 11 is damn good. You can't wank over half their players in the transfer forum and then play them down in the FF to big up Poch :lol:
So we’re just ignoring the fact that before Pochettino, Kane was a 21 year old coming off the back of a series of underwhelming loan spells in the lower leagues, while Dele, Son, Trippier, Dier and Alderweireld are all his signings and have improved immensely under his coaching?

Lloris, Vertonghen and Eriksen were players he inherited but, even with those players, they weren’t exactly pulling up any trees were they?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Are you taunting us for a loss in our own forum? Very interesting. Mods take note.

Jesus christ. You lot rip in to Glaston at every possible opportunity, you can't then cry foul when he has a harmless little bite back.

I think he goes too far at times in his digs at United, but you're being a total crybaby.

RochaRoja

Do you think Roy Hodgson and Brendan Rodgers are better managers than Pochettino?

Genuine question.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He played 50-50 game against Liverpool at Anfield. Will finish 3rd in PL. Still in CL. I know that he didn't won any trophy there but he is doing excellent job there. With extra tight budget.
He is or to say better, he was perfect choice for our manager. We made huge mistake.

RochaRoja

He's done well getting them into top 4 but if you're comparing him to previous spurs managers then you also have to look at United/Arsenal and Chelsea, these 3 teams have dropped off significantly and of course spurs do have a far better team than before.
Chelsea won the league two seasons ago, with Spurs putting up a points tally that would have been enough to be champions in an “average” season.

I’m not sure your point really stands up to scrutiny there.

RochaRoja

That's a good point.
It’s swings and roundabouts. Liverpool were absolute garbage during the seasons Redknapp was there and not even competing for European places. The City Spurs beat to fourth in 2010 was nothing like the City of today and Chelsea were truly awful in 2012. Until last year, Arsenal played out the exact same season every year since 2008.

AJ10

Chelsea won the league two seasons ago, with Spurs putting up a points tally that would have been enough to be champions in an “average” season.

I’m not sure your point really stands up to scrutiny there.
The problem with that bold part is, football doesn't work like that.

united13

So we’re just ignoring the fact that before Pochettino, Kane was a 21 year old coming off the back of a series of underwhelming loan spells in the lower leagues, while Dele, Son, Trippier, Dier and Alderweireld are all his signings and have improved immensely under his coaching?

Lloris, Vertonghen and Eriksen were players he inherited but, even with those players, they weren’t exactly pulling up any trees were they?
If you look at his work before hand also - Southampton he guided them to their highest league finish (8th) since the 2002-2003 season and their highest points tally since the Premier League began.

Furthermore, he went close to winning the league the year Leicester won it and in my opinion if his squad had a little more depth/quality they would have beat Leicester to it. The year after they finished second with 86 points.

Granted the last two years they have fallen behind Liverpool/City due to a lack of investment and outside distractions e.g. stadium and being linked with Utd and Real Madrid job.

However, I still can't help but feel Utd have missed a real trick by appointing Solskjaer over Poch. Utd are at a stage where they need to rebuild - remove dead wood and bring in a total new style of play alongside new players. I cannot for the life of me see how Utd will be in a better position in 4-5 years with Ole in charge as opposed to having Poch in charge.

Why go for an inexperienced/unproven manager over someone who has delivered year on year in the premier league - knows the league inside out and has a proven ability to build a good squad (imagine what he could build with the full backing of the UTD board).

I hope it works out with Solskjaer in charge but I do believe that getting rid of Mourinho was going to have a positive effect on the group whoever came in to replace him. Granted - Ole did a better than expected job, however you can't help but that the honeymoon period is now over and Ole's appointment is a rushed decision by the board. Yes they have had some fantastic results - but they've also had some pretty poor ones? Burnley draw at home? Losing to Wolves twice. Arsenal away they were poor.

At the stage UTD are at - 3 failed managers and a real long term plan was needed. They have fallen into the trap of appointing a manager based on three months of results that Utd should be expected to achieve.

Last edited by a moderator:

RochaRoja

The problem with that bold part is, football doesn't work like that.
The point is that the argument Chelsea have been worse during Pochettino’s tenure is clearly undermined by the fact that they were the only reason he doesn’t already have a PL title.

AJ10

The point is that the argument Chelsea have been worse during Pochettino’s tenure is clearly undermined by the fact that they were the only reason he doesn’t already have a PL title.
Maybe I didn't word it right but what i meant was during his time the likes of United/Arsenal and Chelsea have dropped off not all at once but each season one or two teams have been crap compared to previous seasons and my post was not about Spurs winning a title but getting into top 4 and replacing one of those 3 teams.

Varun

Staff

No, there's no ignoring all of that at all but these players' current level need to be used to judge the current results? No?

Amadaeus

The way he organized his team and tactical outclassed the best manager in the world and against champion league winners favorite, deserve huge amount of praise. However, the next leg will be an even bigger test as he is in the same situation he was in against Chelsea in the carabao cup. Even with a 1 goal lead, he is at a disadvantage with the quality of opposition and without Kane. Regardless, Pochettino shows why he is one of the best manager in football. He did not sit back and let city shite themselves, he took the game to them like he did at Barcelona and came out victorious. That is how football is supposed to be played.

Last edited:

el3mel

Fair play to him today tbf. Have to give him credit when he does a good thing so I can enjoy mocking him when he ends up bottling the second leg.

MancunianBIue

Supports
Manchester Ciy
The best pound for pound manager in world football, Pochettino with Utd's budget would of been a scary sight. Hope we get him to replace Pep.

Onto 2nd leg hopefully Pep learns.

passing-wind

Good game tonight. Still think we should have payed spurs for him, achieved more than Solskjaer in constructive seasons.

He'll be top 3 with the necessary financial resources.

The Nani

Yeah fair play to him today. Spurs were set up beautifully and really controlled the match.

I don’t know why Pep waited so long to bring De Bruyne and Sane on. But he invented football so he must’ve been right.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't watch the match but beating City is always a great result, fair play. Hopefully they can finish the job because City might win the whole thing if not.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Totally got the better of Pep tonight.