g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
2nd the league with a 600 mil transfer handicap vs City and 500 mil vs Utd. 200 mil vs Pool as well. Imagine a semi level playing field where Poch had 200 mil to spend. Doing a fabulous job at Spurs can’t wait till he leaves.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Imagine if he wins Spurs the league and league cup this season? They would most definitely build him a statue and cling onto him for dear life!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Imagine if he wins Spurs the league and league cup this season? They would most definitely build him a statue and cling onto him for dear life!
He won't. Spurs don't have it in them to win the league. That he's got people talking about even the possibility is an achievement in itself. He's spend little and has them second which is excellent management. But they don't have it in them to win the league. They'd need a summer or two of spending like Liverpool have done, and that isn't happening.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
He won't. Spurs don't have it in them to win the league. That he's got people talking about even the possibility is an achievement in itself. He's spend little and has them second which is excellent management. But they don't have it in them to win the league. They'd need a summer or two of spending like Liverpool have done, and that isn't happening.
They have leapfrogged City into second place, just six points behind Liverpool and they are extremely consistent against teams outside of the top 6. They have an outside chance of winning the title.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You forgot the CL and FA Cup. The quadruple is nailed on.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They have leapfrogged City into second place, just six points behind Liverpool and they are extremely consistent against teams outside of the top 6. They have an outside chance of winning the title.
A slightly tough job against Wolves coming up who fancy a giant killing or two. But if they win that on Sat then all the pressure will be on Liverpool to not lose against Arsenal later that evening and City to not lose ground.

Spurs are in a good place at the moment. Cup complications kicking in later without Son could become tricky.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
A slightly tough job against Wolves coming up who fancy a giant killing or two. But if they win that on Sat then all the pressure will be on Liverpool to not lose against Arsenal later that evening and City to not lose ground.

Spurs are in a good place at the moment. Cup complications kicking in later without Son could become tricky.
Yup, we would need to be closer to you after the next two games imo.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This. Spurs aren't capable of winning the PL, they have the quality, but just don't have the mentality - they'll always bottle it at the crucial moment.

That said, if they did win it, and stopped Liverpool from winning it, they will keep hold of Pochettino and rightly so.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
You forgot the CL and FA Cup. The quadruple is nailed on.
Damn I actually forgot about your involvement in the FA Cup and Champions League. I admire your optimism and persistence Glaston! Even if the whole board of United fans are against you, always remember that I am with you! By the way, this is not a sarcasm. I really really genuinely hope Pochettino can win your club the title. It will be a triumph for football and the England NT. When United plays you, I hope we lose so we can give you a 3 point advantage but only for this season! As I've written off our season for this season. Return the favour next season please. :p

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool will beat seven shades of shit out of Arsenal at Anfield, got zero hope of anything there. At the Emirates sure, but Anfield is a proper fortress right now and Liverpool are swatting teams aside whereas Arsenal are going through a bit of a dodgy patch.

UDontMessWith24

My post adds additional information concerning Pochettino which some other posters might appreciate. Your post adds nothing to the discussion.
Your posts add information. Poch has a very good relationship with Levy, has worked tirelessly to build Spurs from the ground up, loved by his players etc...Additional information implies nobody already knew that. Unless you actually have some inside information you being a Spurs supporter doesn't mean you have information unavailable to anyone else.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Your posts add information. Poch has a very good relationship with Levy, has worked tirelessly to build Spurs from the ground up, loved by his players etc...Additional information implies nobody already knew that. Unless you actually have some inside information you being a Spurs supporter doesn't mean you have information unavailable to anyone else.
Providing quotes from Pochettino breathes life into "information" and gives it greater validity.

UDontMessWith24

Providing quotes from Pochettino breathes life into "information" and gives it greater validity.
If by valid you mean naive sure whatever makes you happy. Those of us that understand that what a manager says to the media in the middle of a season 6 months before the decision is to be made isn’t gospel are privy to those quotes too mind you. Purely out of curiosity, is there a quote from him that reads “I will not manage Manchester United next season” or something to that effect?

TheAlpineKlopp

Supports
Southampton
If by valid you mean naive sure whatever makes you happy. Those of us that understand that what a manager says to the media in the middle of a season 6 months before the decision is to be made isn’t gospel are privy to those quotes too mind you. Purely out of curiosity, is there a quote from him that reads “I will not manage Manchester United next season” or something to that effect?
Nail. Head. Hit.

andreas pippias

Supports
Tottenham FC
No he hasn't said he wont manage Man Utd next season, just as he hasn't said he wont manage Real Madrid, PSG etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No he hasn't said he wont manage Man Utd next season, just as he hasn't said he wont manage Real Madrid, PSG etc etc.
Question is simple mate - if he really wants to stay at spurs, all he need to do is come public and say - no matter what happens , I will be at Spurs next season..

Why is he not doing it ?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Question is simple mate - if he really wants to stay at spurs, all he need to do is come public and say - no matter what happens , I will be at Spurs next season..

Why is he not doing it ?
Could want a bigger contract from Levy. If someone says "I will stay here no matter what" then the incentive to give 'em more money kinda goes away.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Why is he not doing it ?
Honestly, because everything is just rumour at the moment, he done the exact same thing in the summer with Real.

bond19821982

Could want a bigger contract from Levy. If someone says "I will stay here no matter what" then the incentive to give 'em more money kinda goes away.
You really think a statement like that will hamper his potential new contract deal ? Really? Means all of his achievements until now will be overlooked and denied a new contract just because of a statement?

bond19821982

Honestly, because everything is just rumour at the moment, he done the exact same thing in the summer with Real.
Well,.its the most easiest way to put it off. He doesn't have to mention Man united and all he need to do is a small commitment.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
You really think a statement like that will hamper his potential new contract deal ? Really? Means all of his achievements until now will be overlooked and denied a new contract just because of a statement?
Uhh, maybe?

He's got two of the biggest clubs in the world interested in signing him. If he comes out & says "I'll be at Spurs next season 100%" then why would Levy offer him the biggest contract he can?

As it stands, he's playing his cards close to his chest. Levy will likely offer him a bigger pay raise to fend off interest from the big clubs when Poch is silent than if he comes out & declares his total unwillingness to move.

Who goes into any sort of a contract negotiation, knowing they're a highly valuable employee, and goes, "Yeah, I want to stay 100%. So don't worry about it"?

bond19821982

Uhh, maybe?

He's got two of the biggest clubs in the world interested in signing him. If he comes out & says "I'll be at Spurs next season 100%" then why would Levy offer him the biggest contract he can?

As it stands, he's playing his cards close to his chest. Levy will likely offer him a bigger pay raise to fend off interest from the big clubs when Poch is silent than if he comes out & declares his total unwillingness to move.

Who goes into any sort of a contract negotiation, knowing they're a highly valuable employee, and goes, "Yeah, I want to stay 100%. So don't worry about it"?
Not really. I show my commitment means I value the club more.

Manager contract works differently. Playing cards close to his chest means he is thinking about his options which is exactly what we (man united fans) have been saying. If he wants to join us, there is nothing Levy or Spurs can do !

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Not really. I show my commitment means I value the club more.

Manager contract works differently. Playing cards close to his chest means he is thinking about his options which is exactly what we (man united fans) have been saying. If he wants to join us, there is nothing Levy or Spurs can do !
Quite possibly that's the reason. Whatever the case, Levy is going to TRY to get him to stay, and he's more likely to put more cash on the table if he thinks he's going to leave.

I still think he'll end up at Real Madrid.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
One thing he needs to improve if he comes here is knowing how to keep foot on the gas when you’re ahead or dominating a game. Can’t sit back and become passive - not at United.

el3mel

Honestly you can't knock down how unbelievable the fragile mentality of his team under the slightest pressure. It's a concern now, away from winning titles or not.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Pochettino becomes Man United manager his in game management of high pressure matches would be a worry.

What Wolves have done today we did in the FA Cup semis and Juve did in the European Cup.

Pochettino has improved Spurs but the mentality of his side has remained questionable. Nice football but is he really the man to get us over the line for the big ones..?

waza7111

They got the lead and then started passing it sideways and backwards although it was incredible organisation from Wolves. Tottenham barely had a chance after their first goal.

Djemba-Djemba

If Pochettino becomes Man United manager his in game management of high pressure matches would be a worry.

What Wolves have done today we did in the FA Cup semis and Juve did in the European Cup.

Pochettino has improved Spurs but the mentality of his side has remained questionable. Nice football but is he really the man to get us over the line for the big ones..?
I suppose you can defend him by saying it's Spurs.

As a club this is just what they always do.

Canagel

If we want to consolidate a position in the top 4 playing decent football he's the man. If we want to actually compete and be there at the pressure moments we must avoid.

Kapardin

Maybe it's just Spurs. They always fold under pressure, perhaps it's something that's beyond any manager?

But if he plays entertaining football, I'm all for saying feck it and hiring him. We badly need some watchable football after 4 years of shite. And our club has a winning mentality ingrained in us, so that may offset any bottling tendency Poch may bring.

lysglimt

Scout
....from 5-0 against Bournemouth to 1-3 against Wolves :)

How is that even possible ?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's a year older than Ole, you're obviously getting a manager who will be patient and also grow under the club. I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional jitters considering he's also shown himself capable of getting results like away at Nou Camp in key games.

To be fair to him he doesn't have a big squad to work with, c'mon Winks of all people is there main guy in midfield.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
To be fair to him he doesn't have a big squad to work with, c'mon Winks of all people is there main guy in midfield.
Just twist the narrative and its alrite. One moment Pochettino works magic with developing players, the next moment he's being held back by these same players.