Aaron Ramsey

Ruht

Agreed, although Wenger not making any January signings also stopped Arsenal from competing. But Ramsey was a huge miss for them, he's made them tick this season. Which is so ironic considering Ozil signed for them and everyone assumed he'd be dynamite. Ramsey's well and truly stolen his thunder.

Had he continued his form through the season, i'd have had him above Suarez as player of the year to be honest.
I've been thinking about that lately. Obviously we don't know whether his fine form would have continued, but I'm under the opinion that had he stayed fit he might have gone on to win the POTY award. The way he played until the injury was absolutely superb, scoring some beauties on the way as well. Wonderful player and I very much love watching him play. Hopefully they can manage to keep him fit for next season as I'd love to see how he would do.

As for transfers, sadly for Arsenal the Draxler ship has sailed if what he said is to be believed. At least for next season that is. Some of their other targets like Lars Bender have also said they have no intention of leaving for now, so I really have no clue who they might go after. I'm curious to see how Ozil will do in his second season as well, he has by no means underperformed but he could be much better. Having both Ramsey and Walcott hasn't helped him one bit.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
You really should have rocked the boat during January and got Draxler. Pissing about all of January and then ending up empty handed was a poor move. That's coming from a fan of a club that swooned over Fabregas for 3 months last summer!

You think Arsenal will spend big this summer?
Draxler's been shite since January, and he isn't a striker. So we'd have signed a 37m pound player, who probably wouldn't have significantly changed the ensuing 5 months of the season, and Wenger would've been ridiculed for blowing it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I like how Sagna's suddenly 'top quality' having been derided on these boards for years.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Perhaps I need to watch more of him, I just feel a lot of very good players couldn't make the transition from 20/40 amazing games a season to the 30-35/ 40 a season that Suarez manages.
Suarez hasn't been 'amazing' in all the games he's played this season, despite what scousers will tell you. He underperformed as the main man of a title challenger in the big games and completely went off the boil towards the end of the season, a fact even RAWK wouldn't dispute.

With the form shown before and after his injury, Ramsey would've been in the race no problem and would've been an even worthier POTY than Yaya or Suarez imo, and I'm usually very critical or Arsenal. He's been fantastic, one of the most complete players around. The thing is, you don't know whether fatigue would've eventually gotten the best of him (which you alluded to with your form over the season comment) or not, even though his fitness levels seem good. It'd be interesting to see if he can maintain it over the whole course of next season (not even playing every game, but just remaining consistent and uninjured from August to May).

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We've been heavily linked to Aurier, looks to be very good in attack but defensively not as solid as Sagna.
I rate Aurier, he's probably the best bet as a RB goes. Scores a silly amount of goals for a RB.

We probably need a reserve CB if Vermaelen leaves but don't think we'll spend big there until next year, a more mobile/better DM should sort us out defensively. Per & Koscielny have been solid for us, apart from the away games where our baffling tactics left us exposed we had only conceded 21 goals in 34 games. I don't think (well bloody hope not!) we'll concede that many goals in our tough games next season
Well N'Koulou when he first broke through at Marseille played as a DM and was then pushed back to fill the CB void. You've got Stefan Reinartz at Leverkusen who'd done the reverse and moved from CB to DM. I'd still go for N'Koulou though, Chelsea and Barca have been sniffing around him for a while now.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Hahaha, now you mention it....

I bought a Vermaelen jersey after his great first season - next season he was injured for all the way through.

I then bought a Wilshere jersey after his break out season where he played many games - next season he was injured the whole season.

I also bought an Arshavin jersey - you guessed it, missed games and form dropped.

I tempted fate and bought an Ozil jersey this season (how could I not though - he was my favourite player outside of Arsenal)... Lucky he only missed a few months.

The curse is breaking!
Jesus, stop buying shirts!

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I rate Aurier, he's probably the best bet as a RB goes. Scores a silly amount of goals for a RB.

Well N'Koulou when he first broke through at Marseille played as a DM and was then pushed back to fill the CB void. You've got Stefan Reinartz at Leverkusen who'd done the reverse and moved from CB to DM. I'd still go for N'Koulou though, Chelsea and Barca have been sniffing around him for a while now.
Even though it is very unlikely we have been linked to Javi Martinez, we could easily pay the £30m they'd want for him but like I said unlikely Bayern will sell. If not someone like Schneiderlin would be a good addition to our squad as well.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Even though it is very unlikely we have been linked to Javi Martinez, we could easily pay the £30m they'd want for him but like I said unlikely Bayern will sell. If not someone like Schneiderlin would be a good addition to our squad as well.
I really rate Schneiderlin, but Southampton are hardly going to allow all of their players to leave. Hope you don't get Martinez!!! :p

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Was having a poor game as well and then he went and did that! Unbelievable goal by him

Hopefully we can keep him fit next season, such a vital player for us now. 10 goals and 8 assists in 20 starts and three sub appearances. Does so much defensive work as well, really has become a great all round player.
Wenger needs to learn how rotate his squad/players without losing what he's trying to achieve. He clearly ran Ramsey into the ground and every time I think of it, Arsenal could have wrapped up the title with a fit Ramsey, Ozil and Walcott available after January. It would be a bit harder next season but the way you all get injuries to key players will always hamper your ability to push on when it matters. And oh...Wenger needs to sort out his results vs the big teams, it's getting ridiculous now.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Wenger needs to learn how rotate his squad/players without losing what he's trying to achieve. He clearly ran Ramsey into the ground and every time I think of it, Arsenal could have wrapped up the title with a fit Ramsey, Ozil and Walcott available after January. It would be a bit harder next season but the way you all get injuries to key players will always hamper your ability to push on when it matters. And oh...Wenger needs to sort out his results vs the big teams, it's getting ridiculous now.
I think once a player is in good form Wenger shows a real reluctance to give them a rest, it is also important that Jack stays fit as he could slot into Ramsey's position if he needs a breather.

I think once we get a faster forward line and better DM we'll improve in the bigger games. Due to our lack of pace up top we leave ourselves more exposed against the quick counter attacking teams.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I think once a player is in good form Wenger shows a real reluctance to give them a rest, it is also important that Jack stays fit as he could slot into Ramsey's position if he needs a breather.

I think once we get a faster forward line and better DM we'll improve in the bigger games. Due to our lack of pace up top we leave ourselves more exposed against the quick counter attacking teams.
reluctant or because Wenger does not have adequate replacements? a thin squad and burning out/injuring his first choice players may be the issue Arsenal need to address.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
reluctant or because Wenger does not have adequate replacements? a thin squad and burning out/injuring his first choice players may be the issue Arsenal need to address.
We can play Wilshere & Rosicky there but at the start of the season we were missing Cazorla, Theo and a few others which meant we couldn't really rotate much. I don't remember a period of us having an injury free squad, always missing key players at some point. Hopefully if Diaby stays fit (unlikely) he can play there as well.

JSArsenal

Article in the Metro or one of the rags saying we should make Ramsey captain.

I can't say I disagree, it is about time we had a long term captain again.

Since Adams:
Vieira (Captain for 3 seasons)
Henry (2)
Gallas (1 and a half?)
Fabregas (about 3 seasons)
RVP (1 season)
Vermaelen (Second season as captain)

When you compare it to other clubs who have had long term captains, I think we can improve. Although I would much rather it be someone who was guaranteed to stay at the club until his 32nd birthday at least and Ramsey is a player who is going to be attracting interest from the likes of Real Madrid soon.

He has had a great season though and if he can be our Gerrard or Lampard (in term of time spent at the club), that would be great. Looking forward to him scoring the winning goal for us in the cup final.

JSArsenal

I think Jack is the obvious captain in the future, I'd give it to the BFG right now.
He will be 30 in September. How long after next season do you think he will remain 1st choice?

His game doesn't rely on pace to say the least but I would like us to start bedding in a young defender to play next to Koscielny in the coming years instead of relying on two centerbacks of around a similar age for the next few years. Simply because we will then have to replace both at the same time.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Much like Bale he was always going to come good, the potential was too high. Just hope Cleverley can follow suit for us...

Kag

He's very good. I don't know where I rank him in comparison to the elite, though. Generally speaking, second best central midfielder in the league?

zing

Zingle balls
People like yourself said the same about Bale and Ramsey
no, people didn't. And even if they did, it doesn't mean every young player putting in tihrd rate performances is going to turn into a world beater.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My favourite non-United player in the league (previous favourite was Mata)

MarcRed96

Great player who has had a great season and this was a fitting way to end it. Arsenal are unlucky that he got injured when he did. Had Ramsey stayed fit all season I reckon they'd have challenged for the title more seriously than they did, he's a very important player for them.

charlenefan

no, people didn't. And even if they did, it doesn't mean every young player putting in tihrd rate performances is going to turn into a world beater.
Hence why I said hope

Ekeke

Aren't we all hoping that Cleverley kicks on? Whether it's likely or not is a different matter.
Cleverley kicking on would mean becoming a pretty good central midfielder

Not one of the best players in the league vying for pfa player of the season like Ramsey and Bale. Its absolute madness to put them in the same paragraph

Its like saying Bale had some critics as a young player when he first came to Spurs but he came good and is not playing well for Real Madrid. So I hope Bebe can do the same thing

charlenefan

Cleverley is already a good midfielder, whether he's currently at the standard Man Utd should have is another debate. Cleverley kicking on would be doing exactly what Ramsey has done and what Henderson is doing at Liverpool

Conrad

Cleverley kicking on would mean becoming a pretty good central midfielder

Not one of the best players in the league vying for pfa player of the season like Ramsey and Bale. Its absolute madness to put them in the same paragraph

Its like saying Bale had some critics as a young player when he first came to Spurs but he came good and is not playing well for Real Madrid. So I hope Bebe can do the same thing
It's not really madness when you're just saying you hope he can follow their own dramatic improvements, not even necessarily get to the same level. I hope James Wilson will be the English Maradona and win us the World Cup even though at the moment he's a million miles away from any of that. What you hope will happen doesn't really need to be grounded in reality or likelihood.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I don't think he put in a man of the match performance, but he got the goal when they needed it.

Ekeke

Cleverley is already a good midfielder, whether he's currently at the standard Man Utd should have is another debate. Cleverley kicking on would be doing exactly what Ramsey has done and what Henderson is doing at Liverpool
So Ramsey one of the best players and biggest goalthreats in the league is exactly the same as hard working but nothing exceptional Jordan Henderson. Okiedokie.

Ekeke

It's not really madness when you're just saying you hope they can follow their own dramatic improvements, not even necessarily get to the same level. I hope James Wilson will be the English Maradona and win us the World Cup even though at the moment he's a million miles away from any of that. What you hope will happen doesn't really need to be grounded in reality or likelihood.
He made a comparison of their potential, which is crazy. Nothing short of it