5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't consider myself to be anywhere close to 'knowledgable' about football, but my very first post on this forum was a series of videos about how susceptible Wan-Bissaka is to getting drawn inside when the opposition are attacking down our left side.

It's an absolutely glaring issue, and so easy to see - as are his struggles defending overlaps, outright laziness in his recovery runs, and basically needing to be babied through matches by Lindelof - so I have no idea how our 'coaching' team, headed by Solskjaer, haven't done anything at all to improve it.

I just have no idea how people continue to call him a great defensive right-back. He's good - world-class, actually - at literally one relatively small aspect of defending.

Edit - Sorry, double posted on my phone when the page hung.

El Jefe

He and Telles were left completely exposed by an unfamiliar system they hadn't been coached properly on. Both get a pass tonight.
He was fecking terrible and shouldn't be excused but the fact that Telles looked so poor on the other side clearly shows Ole set the team up poorly.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Name me a few nailed on United-starters in the last 25 years who are worse than this guy.
Darmian was worse and certainly Lindelof would be there too but at least they didn't cost us 50million.

El-Manos

Clearly not suited to that wingback position. At fault for the first 2 goals. He's better than that though, ole did him no favours here.

caid

These kind of performances and mistakes are becoming more common from him. I think he has gone backwards from when we signed him.
I think managers have just figured him out a bit. He has one outstanding quality and is weak in every other regard. Theres a thousand ways to get joy out of him.
I'd say drop him but he's only 23 and he's not going to learn sitting on the bench. He needs a lot of coaching and we were completely robbed paying 50m for him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
50m let that sink it in.

What's the difference between him and Young or Darmian? I'm not even joking.

And people think he would be an automatic starter under Pep for City.

eire-red

It's crazy how easy it was for RB Leipzig to target our weaknesses. AWB is limited enough as it is, but playing 352 and leaving him isolated on the ball is just asking for trouble. Just look back on how aggressively they pressed when the ball went to either AWB and Telles.

I'm not happy with his performance at all, but with this system we played into their hands and it was criminal. AWB has a lot of strengths as a traditional RB, but he was so exposed and isolated time and time again. And when you think that often it was McTominay that was nearest to him as a passing option, it was a terrible set up from Ole.

Once again, our approach to the game was terrible and when you couple that with individual errors we really never had a hope. We can't keep starting games like this.

Ekeke

Poor first half, much better second half. Responsible for the first goal. Plenty to improve on and best left as a rightback, not a wingback

nimic

something nice
Scout
For such a good defender, he's not a very good defender. Best tackler in the league, but his positioning is dire. He also let in a lot of easy crosses today, which is not like him.

Poor first half, much better second half. Responsible for the first goal. Plenty to improve on and best left as a rightback, not a wingback
Entirely responsible for the first goal, partially responsible for the other two. Also responsible for the goal that wasn't given.

AshRK

His football understanding is poor. He just looks lost chewing gum. I mean what was he doing. He was supposed to be a rwb but played as a rcb. Pathetic performance.

Dinghy

Lindelof for a certainty just in our current lineup.
Good call, but not quite there. We got a £50m right-back who's so clueless on the ball that it makes his shit positioning look like a strength.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Clearly not suited to that wingback position. At fault for the first 2 goals. He's better than that though, ole did him no favours here.
This.

I also don't understand how many times we've seen ourselves concede a goal because he gets drawn into the centre too easily. Surely the coaching team would have addressed it by now? If they have, it's clearly not getting into his head, at which point Ole needs to drop him. If they have not, then the coaching team needs to getting rid off, because they're grossly incompetent.

Just to add, I'd sooner have Varela playing RB for us. At least he contributed offensively.

Ekeke

For such a good defender, he's not a very good defender. Best tackler in the league, but his positioning is dire. He also let in a lot of easy crosses today, which is not like him.

Entirely responsible for the first goal, partially responsible for the other two. Also responsible for the goal that wasn't given.
If you're going to give any blame on the 2nd and 3rd goals then you have to attribute the same blame every single time an attacker gets a cross in from a fullbacks side. There arent many fullback performances where the ball doesnt come in a few times so thats probably an unfair barometer.

In the 3rd goal phase of play AWB wins the ball with a tackle, it goes to Lindelof who gives a loose pass to Pogba inside his own box and Angelino is able to slide and recover the ball. A deflected cross comes in and Maguire leaves it for the forward. If you're blaming him for that theres only one reason for it

nimic

something nice
Scout
If you're going to give any blame on the 2nd and 3rd goals then you have to attribute the same blame every single time an attacker gets a cross in from a fullbacks side. There arent many fullback performances where the ball doesnt come in a few times so thats probably an unfair barometer.

In the 3rd goal phase of play AWB wins the ball with a tackle, it goes to Lindelof who gives a loose pass to Pogba inside his own box and Angelino is able to slide and recover the ball. A deflected cross comes in and Maguire leaves it for the forward. If you're blaming him for that theres only one reason for it
Maguire was obviously more to blame for the 3rd goal, but yes, I do think AWB is partially to blame. Part of a full-back's job is to stop crosses from coming in, a job he failed at many times tonight. He offers nothing going forward, so if he can't stop crosses at a better rate than tonight he'll struggle in the future. But as I already mentioned, he usually doesn't allow that many crosses.

Obiorahking_

Someone had a post earlier about his lack of urgency after Brighton game, where Lindleof was screaming at him telling him to wake up. I really think there is something wrong his football brain. He needs competition its as simple as that

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It would be fine if he haf actually put in a half decent attempt to actually get out and stop the cross... But instead, as he did with everything else, he just totally half arsed it... That's why I would put fault with him.

Ekeke

Maguire was obviously more to blame for the 3rd goal, but yes, I do think AWB is partially to blame. Part of a full-back's job is to stop crosses from coming in, a job he failed at many times tonight. He offers nothing going forward, so if he can't stop crosses at a better rate than tonight he'll struggle in the future. But as I already mentioned, he usually doesn't allow that many crosses.
A deflected and easy to deal with cross dripped in after AWB had won the ball and his CB gave it away. If Lindelof didnt give the ball away the cross wouldnt come in, if Maguire did some basic defending it would have been dealt with.

Ekeke

It would be fine if he haf actually put in a half decent attempt to actually get out and stop the cross... But instead, as he did with everything else, he just totally half arsed it... That's why I would put fault with him.
He literally won the ball and his CB gave it away right after. So he went out to challenge again and a weak cross came in. He'd already done his job, his CB gave him a new one

Welbeckham

Looking like a terrible signing, it’s painfully obvious that he needs to be replaced. Lacks the technique and football brain to play that position for a more possession oriented side than Crystal Palace. Anybody who would’ve preferred Meunier back in the day was obviously right.

arnie_ni

For that first goal he was tucked in marking lindelofs man as if by design. Lindelof should have pulled onto him and let awb drop out.

Shocking organisation

UncleBob

The second goal is clearly a feckup from more than just AWB, but when that ball rolls out to Angelino he needs to sprint to make up the distance. He gave him too much space and too much time, awful defending.

Then, obviously, there's Shaw and Telles...

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He literally won the ball and his CB gave it away right after. So he went out to challenge again and a weak cross came in. He'd already done his job, his CB gave him a new one
You're telling me this is the most effort he could have put in and the best job he could have done at getting tight to Angelino and /or closing down this cross.. Really? It's a shit show all round but he can obviously do a lot, lot better.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I got flashbacks of his performance against Brighton now when he was up against Trossard. Same set-up up from Ole. Got lucky in that match.
Ole isn't learning.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You're telling me this is the most effort he could have put in and the best job he could have done at getting tight to Angelino and /or closing down this cross.. Really? It's a shit show all round but he can obviously do a lot, lot better.

Embarrassing effort from him.

Mcking

That was up there with Bailly against PSG last two seasons.

He is a player who should never have been signed. I could take the occasional defensive calamity if it wasn't supposed to be his greatest strength.

We are now left with a 50m defender who can't defend, and can't play football either.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
50m let that sink it in.
Yeah but surely nobody believes he was actually a player at that value, he's a 15-20m punt player you discover after a few games coming through behind your actual fullback that we blew a huge wad of spunk for. It isn't really his fault how much we payed for him.

That being said his positioning and ability at reading off of players is diabolical. It is a huge problem in our backline his tandem with Lindelöf and his inside CB. They're both all at sea all the fecking time. I don't really know if the mental aspect at 23 is really coachable in our current setup. The defence is a mess and he's obviously just coasting through without getting a rev up.

UnitedFan93

Hopeless on the ball, like Chris Smalling at right back, terrible flashbacks I'm getting.

Heinzesight

Williams should be given his chance at right back now. He’s looking more and more lost each game whilst he chills out chewing his gum.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It's hard to show effort and intensity when you dont know what you're supposed to be doing.
I dunno... Sprinting it to close down a cross or sprinting back when you lose the ball cheaply are basic football things.

It's also not the first or second time he's played there... True he's not good at it, but it doesn't mean he can just half arse his way through it

Ludens the Red

He’s digressed, or rather hasn’t improved at all. Partly down to him? Partly down to the coaches? Who knows, probably both. But 16 months in and I’m pretty disappointed he’s our right back and now feel we may need another upgrade in that position.
When you see players like Lamptey and James coming through it’s kind of depressing that he’s what we have.

But saying that I think we need to see how he plays when we actually have a right winger in front of him and under a decent coach. He still has some very good attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.