Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dearg hÉireann

Hopeless performance, why he took out Shaw and not AWB when Brandon came in is a serious question to ask.

Quite telling when both Scott and Pogba multiple times during the second half ignored the fact that AWB was all by himself on our right side when attacking and just passed it to the left instead, shows that they also knew that it would be hopeless to give him the ball since the chance of something happening offensively would be close to 0. Should have subbed on James who would have ran at Angelino and actually provided an attacking outlet.

He either need to improve his positional sense and offensive qualites or be replaced, hopefully Laird will come in and make the spot his own.
Spot on assessment. Although I think Laird is going to be one of these desperately unlucky young footballers who never gets a break from niggling injuries. Missed too much development already

Bristol_Red_87

In the sixties, so around twice as high as AWB’s (while also having more attempts and typically it gets harder in the center cause strikers tend to be taller than left wings/left backs). And well, Lindelof gets criticized for not being good at that (he isn’t good at that), watching AWB there would be tragicomic.
What is your source? Not questioning you just interested to read into it..

I would add however that stats can be misleading.

Its one thing "winning" an aerial dual and it's another it being an effective win.

Maguire for instance looks to dominate aerially where as Lindelof looks to compete.

As I said, i don't see AWB moving inside now, more so in 2-3 years time. Heading ability is something that can be worked on and his relative lack of height for a CB can be offset somewhat by his athleticism.

I also didn't state this move would come whilst at OT..

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

pascell

A horrendous night for AVB. Definitely needs competition or replacing to improve himself. Unlike a lot of people, I don't even think he's a good defender. There's more to defending than just being great at tackling.
I agree, there's a lot more to defending than tackling, like positioning and awareness, which AWB has neither of. I wasn't impressed with him last season either as his limitations were glaringly obvious from the offset when we signed him and opposition managers picked up on it early doors (see Hassenhuttl's notes about our game vs Southampton last season were he knew AWB doesn't like being in possession of the ball).

We were linked with Trippier the other day to provide competition for AWB, that would be another poor signing imo.

spiriticon

AWB can never be a CB good god almighty.

He has one role. Just cover the RB space up the the halfway line and tackle the feck out of anybody who enters that space. Don't try anything flash, don't try any mad skillz with the ball. Also instead of running with the ball, maybe he should just punt it forwards and hope Cavani jumps for it.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I agree, there's a lot more to defending than tackling, like positioning and awareness, which AWB has neither of. I wasn't impressed with him last season either as his limitations were glaringly obvious from the offset when we signed him and opposition managers picked up on it early doors (see Hassenhuttl's notes about our game vs Southampton last season were he knew AWB doesn't like being in possession of the ball).

We were linked with Trippier the other day to provide competition for AWB, that would be another poor signing imo.
Is that true ? blooming heck. :lol:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The comments for last night vs saturday's game, what a contrast :lol: .

He was dreadful position-wise, sure. But I think it lends itself to the fact that I dont think any of the back 5 really knew who they were marking or where they were being positioned? Coincidence that we looked more cohesive when we switched to a 4? The bashing is incredibly harsh when overall this season he has been very solid more often than not. Go back to the PSG game as a reminder maybe

Andersons Dietician

The comments for last night vs saturday's game, what a contrast :lol: .

He was dreadful position-wise, sure. But I think it lends itself to the fact that I dont think any of the back 5 really knew who they were marking or where they were being positioned? Coincidence that we looked more cohesive when we switched to a 4? The bashing is incredibly harsh when overall this season he has been very solid more often than not. Go back to the PSG game as a reminder maybe
PSG game was great but that was a one off. He’d been stinking up the joint before that game and after that game. Last few weeks he did seem to get back to some sort of form but last night he was just ruthlessly exposed and feel like he was targeted some what as a weakness.

AjaxNL

That failed backheel that lead to a big RBL chance in the first half, at 2-0 down was comedy gold.

Andersons Dietician

That failed backheel that lead to a big RBL chance in the first half, at 2-0 down was comedy gold.
Yeah no idea what he was thinking. Before he got himself in that mess as well there was a ball inside to I think Matic which was an easy ball and he turned away from it found himself surrounded and then tried that BS.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The really sad thing about that (apart from him just jogging back after) was the angle he was attempting to flick the ball at meant it would have gone straight to an RB player if he hadn't ballsed it up.

MTF

There's a clear safe pass to be played to Lindelof there, there's enough of an angle to play Bruno if he dares try something with his left foot, and in the first instants even playing McTominay might at least have bought the situation an extra second or so to see if anything else opened up. But still, the pass to Lindelof is just there.... f'ing take it.

hubbuh

Sell him to the highest bidder and don't look back. It'll take an unprecedented surge of development in the fundamentals of his game to make him good enough. Unfortunately for us it takes a good 5/6 years for the decision makers at the club to cotton on to the blindingly obvious. feck it all to hell

macheda14

It was noticeable towards the end of the game when space was opening up for him on the right many players refused what would have been the obvious pass. They obviously don't trust him with the ball.

Murray3007

time to cut our losses, dont have the football IQ to be a top player, great in a 1 v 1 dual, infact would go as far as to say he might be one of the best i have seen in those kind of scenario's however everything else is just not good enough, been here about 16 months and hes no better a footballer then he was when he arrived. positioning awful, passing awful, no ambition as a player when there is space, looks lost with the ball at his feet.

Craig Ward

All round poor night for him. He's getting a bashing on here, and frankly he deserves it.

1v1 defending he is probably the best in the league. Problem is, he cant position himself properly. With his positional play, he will always always invite dangerous scenarios - now he might recover and use that weird tackling style of his but that wont always work.

A good defender will eliminate the danger and use the tackle as a last resort, WHEN needed, not EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Now, i'm not a world class scout or coach. But I know, Angelino is a nippy forward thinking FB who loves to bomb crosses in. So what does AWB do? Leaves him all the space in the world and makes no attempt to stop any crosses of course. Moronic play from AWB that cost us.

We really do have a problem with our players lack of football intelligence. All the coaching in the world can be done, but honestly we are individually clueless at reading scenarios in game. AWB has positives, of course. But he's not a good footballer at all. Shaky on the ball, no attacking threat as a wingback, poor against any form of basic press and out of position 9 times out of 10. He's lucky he can recover situations with his tackling so often, but strictly speaking he puts himself in those situations by being so poor in other areas.

His worst game for us

His confidence is shot. Ole needs to take him out of the team for a bit, let him sort his head out.

He's been very poor lately but he's also very young and was good last season so not time to give up on him just yet. Deserves a bit of time.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Every single team has been targeting him . Can't believe we paid 50 for him. Everyone of the scouting team should be sacked for approving this.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A 5 or 3 at the back formation requires a RWB player whilst a 4 at the back formation needs a RB.

It's a subtle change but AWB can only play one and is rubbish at the other.

Ole keeps changing the formation every week and these players never get to learn and build up confidence in what they play.

If wan Bissaka is going to learn how to play RWB, it has to be coached to him and it has to be used as our formation more frequently rather than just when Ole feels like.

We need some stability to stop the inconsistency.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I don´t wanna sound negative but games like this break my general assesment of a player. The new manager will have a lot to do to get a player out of him. AWB has a lot of good attributes but his mentality is very weak. Maybe just becaue he likes to go down and win the ball made us think he´s good mentaliy? surely down to eart guy but he should take more responsibilty when he plays, it doesn´t mean to dribble past 3 players but there are many situations he doesn´t believe in himself , do his usual dummy and than pass back to CBs. That´s not good enough for Manchester United, you really wanna get rid of players like him or Lindelof who are braver with the ball. I understand he´s got sometimes problem with the ball at his feet but if you don´t believe in yourself you will never pull anything off.

Second fiying his positioning is key and general defensive awarness, sure thing he´s sometimes dragged too deep but its´not always a mistake considering you have a lot of Lindelof half arsed defending there, he should learn how to press the crosser better though, how to get back to his position and much better than contain the player and give him too much space to cross.

I also don´t know what is with his workrate but he seems half arsed to work hard now. Surely the bare minimum what we can ask for.

Attacking play, I see a palyer who has a decent dribbling even if that can look a bit clumsy, topping some dribbling statistics before coming here, ecent speed but he never shows that, teach hoim when to make runs and generally with that kind of speed and acceleration, make him work up and down harder, he will eventuall get to more positions and he´s got more recovery speed to track back too.

That´s a big task for Pochetino a new manager but after all some more average or above average players were made into good players by good management. ben B.Davies, K.Walker, D. Rose, A. Robertson

That´s a scenario when we try the make the most out of him because I don´t see how we could get much money from his sale and he only just came here for 50mil. That seems so much right now. But like I said in other thread with some upgrades in position around him Lindelof, DDG, CDM, Ole we could get a send more compact team out with stronger tactical know how and players like him who absolutely need a bit of guidance would benefit from this.

Also stop playing him as a wingback, he´s clueless there..

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sell him to the highest bidder and don't look back. It'll take an unprecedented surge of development in the fundamentals of his game to make him good enough. Unfortunately for us it takes a good 5/6 years for the decision makers at the club to cotton on to the blindingly obvious. feck it all to hell
What do you we’d get for him if we decided to sell?

saivet

What do you we’d get for him if we decided to sell?
I think at best around £30m. No idea where that would come from but he does have some good qualities and is still only 23. In a team that likes to play a low block defence, he could fit in okay.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wouldnt sell Wan Bissaka- maybe we overpayed for him, but if we can have an attacking RWB/RB competing with Wan Bissaka's tackling ability I'd be happy with that balance of two different styles.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He was a wide-forward as a youth player right? To me, that explains his inability to head the ball, or judge the flight of it.

Maybe it's changed, but when I was growing up, only the defenders really concentrated on the heading and clearing drills. Could maybe explain why he's so unnatural at just getting his head to a cross.

Adamsk7

He’s terrible at absolutely everything other than slide tackling, where he’s the best in the world. Weird player, not good enough and will be targeted for as long as he plays for us.
Against a player that likes to stand a man up and take them on, he looks a world beater (Mbappe). Against anyone that runs in behind, he flaps harder than my anus when I’ve been on the protein bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.