Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How Hag is using both Dalot, more so, and AWB is not to dissimilar to how Pep used Alves and Lahm. They're another player in central area's more so out wide on occasions.

Shai-Hulud

What do people think of the need(?) for a new RB now? Are we covered well enough by 1. Dalot and 2. AWB?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
That pass to Antony in 1st half had me doing a double take, beautifully weighted.
He tried a clipped long through ball from his own half too - I don’t think I’ve ever seen him try to pass the ball more than 5 yards so twice in one game is crazy! He’s always been a good dribbler and is exceptional at ball carrying from deep so I don’t get the shock in here about that.

Skills

Snitch
How Hag is using both Dalot, more so, and AWB is not to dissimilar to how Pep used Alves and Lahm. They're another player in central area's more so out wide on occasions.
What? Alves was almost exclusively used as the wide overlapping wingback.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What? Alves was almost exclusively used as the wide overlapping wingback.
He would come in side occasionally to link-up. Quite obvious really if you watched him. He wasn't constantly on the over-lap.
Its one of the reasons he was basically the most dominating fullback in that era.
You see it with how Klopp utilizes Trent to.

The coaches have made the full-back a more influential figure in the side by not just restricting them by supporting their winger.

Hag is clearly doing the same with Dalot and AWB. How many times have we seen Dalot feature heavily centrally already this season (while taking various shot outside the box) ? a fair few times.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What do people think of the need(?) for a new RB now? Are we covered well enough by 1. Dalot and 2. AWB?
No.

Because as a team we need to get better at playing through and keeping possession against opposition pressure, one of our main weaknesses currently. Which means we need to get to a point where our starters and back-up are all capable of playing that sort of football, in the way a side like City's are for example.

AWB simply can't. Any time he has to play against a good side that presses he will either be a danger to us playing from the back or will force us to start going long as we currently do far too often in those sorts of games. Your squad players need to be players who fit the system and style of play, otherwise it falls apart when they step in.

It's just a question of where RB fits in our list of priorities, because it's far from the only area that needs to improve.

Oranges038

He was poor vs the number 1 team in the pl. perfectly fine vs city
:lol:
He was lucky Surridge was offside during the week as well or he'd be getting blamed for another goal.

He's just not good enough consistently, doesn't possess enough quality on the ball has too many laspes in concentration to play for a team who wants to win the league.

studs

And might I say the mentality of some of them ( see above )

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
He's too good (and essentially too expensive) to keep as a back up. Sell him for £30m and get RB version of Malacia for half the price

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Very good question, and you will get very polarised reactions.
Some of AWB's play can be quite brilliant at times, and it's all the more surprising when he does because he can also look so very poor. My main gripe with AWB is that he tends to ball watch, as shown by conceding the first goal against Arsenal, and, as some posters have mentioned, seems to be slow in getting back into defence.
To be fair to him, he has certainly shown improvement in some aspects of his play, and although I like to think I give all our players a chance, not writing them off as has been shown by the ridiculous 'new contract or sell' poll on Rashford, I do believe that he will be sold in the summer, along with Maguire, McTominay, and several fringe players, and I hope that Ethan Laird can come back in and push for the RB position.
I'm hopeful that AWB does continue to improve and play well, as it could mean we recoup nearer the amount we paid for him.

Mike Smalling

I would be comfortable enough going into next season with those two as our right-back options, especially because Dalot still seems to be improving still. We have at least three transfer priorities that would rank higher: Two midfielders and a striker.

Shai-Hulud

I would be comfortable enough going into next season with those two as our right-back options, especially because Dalot still seems to be improving still. We have at least three transfer priorities that would rank higher: Two midfielders and a striker.
Fair. Though I'd put the priorities: Striker, CM, GK, DM.

Olecurls99

Yeah low on the list of priorities for me too.

Samoerai Jack

Didn't look comfortable in a slow possession game. He was passed over constantly and consequently everything had to go over the left side. Had a few nice moves along the sideline to be fair and he was solid defensively, but in a game like this Dalot seems a much better fit.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I really admire how well he's fought to get himself back into the fray but ultimately, we need a different kind of player to him. Hopefully he's done enough of fetch us £35m in the summer. He'll go on to have a wonderful career the 6th to 10th league teams bracket.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Actually he had some good moments, but then again, he usually fecks up the next moment, or just is on low confidence to finish his dribble to be of any use. Eric should pour more confidence in him and is probably trying to do so but yeah in the end he's not the right profile anyway. Simply because except for the dribbling ( when he's not low on confidence) he's just not good enough on the ball and that will hurt us as a dominant team..

BorisManUtd

He’s been more than good enough since the restart but can’t play all the time, hopefully Dalot will be back soon.

MDFC Manager

He's making me look like a proper idiot!

Would be interesting to see his heatmaps from this season, compared to previous ones. Spending a fair amount of time centrally near and beyond the center circle and looking comfortable there.

flappyjay

Would be interesting to see his heatmaps from this season, compared to previous ones. Spending a fair amount of time centrally near and beyond the center circle and looking comfortable there.
Made look dumb too but I also think Ole and Rangnick made him look worse on the ball. Our players seem to know where to be unlike before. AWBs ability on the ball is not exposed.

GueRed

Good coaching makes a big difference. Plus he was no way near as bad a player so many fans were making him out to be.

Dalot has been excellent this season and should be first choice. Wan Bissaka is good enough to be back up for me

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Must be the only player I've seen that can lose the ball 3 times followed by 3 recuperation all in the space of about 2 seconds.

jackal&hyde

Assuming this is sarcastic?
Emotional rather.

He can not defend the back post that even in the few "good" games he's had we concede because of him (City, Arsenal) and even though he is looking like a real footballer now in terms of passing, he is still mediocre at best, completely unfit for what we want.

I am happy he is looking better because we can get a better price. The guy can not defend positionally and is a robot with the ball at his feet. Needs to go in the same taxi as Maguire and McTom. Some skill and quality there sure, not good enough.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Meh. The back post problem is because our GK dissapears in to another realm during any sort of cross. He is good enough for no 2 until next January where some more vital gaps get covered 1st
. The robot can dribble 3 city players out in 1 move.

Sid234

I think EtH gives him a run of games even if Dalot is fit since he hates to rotate his 1st XI too much and prefers to build familiarity - he has shown enough, and stepped up when we needed him, to deserve that chance

Last edited:

Based Adnan

I think EtH gives him a run of games even if Dalot is fit since he hates to rotate his 1st XI too much and prefers to build familiarity - he has shown enough and stepped up when we needed him, to deserve that chance
Dalot will almost certainly be straight back in when fit

Bondi77

Erik has said he has been brilliant so far so that is enough for me.

No coincidence that as soon as actual defending is required he's subbed off.

He does do some really nice things. His on-ball defending is obviously great and he's super agile with some surprisingly good dribbling...but I've thought for ages his defending is a bigger issue than his possession stuff. His positional intelligence and ability to sense danger is genuinely non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.